Appleby's group operates under the leadership of Claire Milne, who is a recognised expert in the gambling sector and was formerly chair of the Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission. Milne advises on commercial and regulatory work, with expertise in other complementary areas including IP, IT and fintech mandates. Corporate transactions are another core area of focus for the practice, with Kyle Sutherland advising on capital markets and restructuring work. Garry Manley similarly advises on corporate and regulatory matters, with added expertise in employment issues.
Gambling in Isle Of Man
Other key lawyers:
Kyle Sutherland; Garry Manley
‘Specialist knowledge in insurance regulatory matters.’
‘Really knowledgeable and responsive. Clear advice. Easy to deal with.’
SBTech (Global) Limited
STX Entertainment, Inc.
- Advised SBTech (Global) Limited on its $3.3bn business combination with DraftKings Inc. and Diamond Eagle Acquisition Corp.
- Acted as BVI counsel to Global Switch in connection with an update to its €3bn Euro Medium Term Note Programme and a further €700m note issuance under the programme.
- Acted as Isle of Man counsel to STX Filmworks, Inc. (STX Entertainment), on its stock-for-stock merger with Eros International Plc.
Cains‘ corporate and finance teams have a strong emphasis on the gambling sector, with a client list spanning gaming companies and financial institutions. The team’s recent workload included advising on the landmark $12.2bn merger between The Stars Group and Flutter Entertainment. Alongside M&A work, the group also specialises in reorganisations, loan facilities and regulatory issues. Scott Leonard-Morgan co-chairs the group and is a key name in the market for cross-border transactions and financings. Fellow co-head Tristan Head has additional expertise in restructurings and capital markets transactions.
Scott Leonard-Morgan; Tristan Head
‘Tristan Head and Scott Leonard-Morgan are our main contacts and consistently impress. Their work is delivered on time every time and always to the expected standard. They are commercial and always available.’
‘Scott Leonard-Morgan is a first class corporate lawyer. He grasps the key issues immediately and is very responsive. He is a cut above other Isle of Man corporate practitioners.’
‘Scott Leonard-Morgan is extremely commercially and client focused, professional and good to work with.’
The Stars Group
Flutter Entertainment PLC
Galaxy Gaming Inc
- Acting for the Finance Parties to Playtech plc in connection with a requested reorganisation of the Playtech group.
- Advising on the merger of The Stars Group (Sky Betting, Pokerstars, etc.) with Flutter Entertainment PLC (owner of Paddy Power Betfair and FanDuel).
- Advised Galaxy Gaming, Inc. on the Isle of Man aspects of its acquisition of 100% of the equity interests in the Isle of Man company, Progressive Games Partners LLC.
Keystone Law has advised on gambling services and amenities in both a virtual and physical context, with expertise in corporate transactions, commercial agreements, regulatory compliance work and data protection issues. Corporate partner Stephen Rodd, who has particular knowledge of the e-gaming sector, leads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
MannBenham Advocates Limited
‘Unfussy competence is how I’d describe this practice – very well organized, timely, and engaged with client needs. Excellent gaming knowledge and very speedy turnaround times when deadlines loom.’
‘Excellent know how and very fast responses generally.’
Ableton Prestige Global Limited
Gamesys Group PLC
Jackpotjoy Operations Limited
Babylon Gaming Limited
Premier Gateway International Limited
AceKing IOM Limited
Kewenvoyouma Law PLLC
Celton Manx Limited
SportPesa Holdings Limited
FHQ eCommerce Limited
The First Nations of Canada
XB Solutions International Ltd
Gaming Realms PLC
Dynamic Technologies (International) Co Ltd
Global Chain Limited
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP
O’Donnell Murray Solicitors
Glinton Sweeting O’Brien
- Advised Babylon Gaming on commercial contracts and regulatory compliance issues.
- Advised Gamesys Group on commercial, IP and employment issues.
- Assisted Celton Manx Limited with general advisory issues.