Commercial property in Isle Of Man
The team at Cains provides its clients with advice on commercial property mandates including property acquisitions and sales, leases, loan structuring deals and refinancing arrangements. Practice co-head Alex Poole-Wilson regularly acts on domestic transactions across the industrial, office, retail, care home and leisure sectors. Tim Shepherd, who also co-heads the practice, specialises in commercial real estate restructuring and reorganisation exercises and regularly acts for major banks, alternative lenders and recovery professionals.
Alex Poole-Wilson; Tim Shepherd
‘Few other firms on the island providing a similar service to the same high standard‘
‘Very personal and efficient service‘
‘Great attention to detail‘
‘Alex Poole-Wilson has an in-depth knowledge of property law and provides excellent advice‘
‘Alex Poole-Wilson and Scott Morgan are very supportive during complex and sensitive discussions with third parties. The direction and advice has proved invaluable in progressing the matter effectively’
‘Matthew Quinn provides an excellent service; very attentive and efficient’
‘Tim Shepherd is one of the leading advocates in dealing with the financing and refinancing of assets’
Chenavari Financial Group
Cheyne Capital Management
Four Seasons Health Care
Heron and Brearley
Hoi Hup Realty
The Stars Group (formerly Poker Stars)
- Handled Aviva Life & Pensions’ £13m disposal of a fully occupied multi-tenanted office building in Douglas to Tevir Group.
- Advised the Bank of Ireland on the enforcement of its real estate security granted to Marathon as freeholder, including appointing Grant Thornton as receiver and acting on the subsequent sale.
- Acted for Four Seasons Health Care in its £1m sale of the Kings Reach nursing facility to Island Care.
- Acted for the Stars Group on the grant of freehold security over the 3,300m² Douglas Bay Complex, which houses the client’s headquarters.
- Assisted property investment company Kings Park with letting the office element of mixed-use building Cycle360 to Mary Oppenheimer Daughters.
Long & Humphrey
Headed by Mark Humphrey, Long & Humphrey has an established reputation assisting with commercial property portfolio management, development projects and licensing and planning matters. The practice’s long-standing client list is particularly strong in the retail and hospitality sectors, while also being instructed by banks and financial institutions for lending and security mandates. Senior associate Shona Quayle assisted with a number of retail portfolio management matters, including the production of standard leases and freehold title registrations.
Other key lawyers:
Faye Moffett heads Appleby’s commercial property practice, assisting a strong list of international investment banks and financial institutions with structuring financing arrangements for significant property developments and acquisitions. Tom Brook is a go-to name for local commercial lending mandates while associate Alexandra Dernie received client praise for assisting the team on a number of the practice's leading matters. Further regular mandates for the team include drafting leasing arrangements, advising on mortgage transfers and appointing property receivers in respect to loan non-repayments.
‘The very knowledgeable Alexandra Dernie is approachable, easy to deal with and able to deal with any queries‘
Commercial property acquisitions are a strong point for the practice at Simcocks. Team head Irini Newby assists a modest portfolio of property development companies with reviewing existing tenancy agreements on newly-acquired property, as well as advising on leasing structures and licensing issues. The practice also acts as counsel to a number of retail property landlords in respect to lease extensions, break clauses and tenancy dilapidation issues.
Primavera International Holdings
- Assisting KJ Holdings with the acquisition of a number of multi-million pound properties, including the RBS International building in Douglas and a listed building situated on the Douglas Promenade.
- Assisted SPIM IOM with lease reviews and the purchase of the freehold interest in a block of over thirty apartments.