Energy and natural resources in Ireland
A&L Goodbody LLP's broad energy practice handles the financing, refinancing, and development of energy projects, particularly in the areas of wind and solar energy. The team also handles more traditional gas projects as well as data centres and battery storage facilities. The practice is an all-island offering, collaborating with the firm's Belfast-based team to advise on cross-border matters. Ross Moore leads the practice and is in experienced in financings and transactions involving energy assets. John Dallas advises both sponsors and lenders on energy projects, and has 'great knowledge and experience in the Irish electricity market'. Senior associate David McElroy is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
John Dallas; David McElroy
‘A&L Goodbody are a very open company to work with. Their team is very approachable and willing to engage in open discussion about project issues including challenging the project team where necessary.
‘Their collaborative approach has enabled A&L Goodbody to become part of our project team where we can debate issues and come to a common agreement on the best approach to resolve matters that can be complex.’
‘John Dallas has a great knowledge of and experience in the Irish electricity market. This is key in helping us develop our strategy in a policy environment that is both complex and continuously changing. ’
Allied Irish Bank plc, Natixis, Banco de Sabadell, S.A., Export Development Canada, and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (as a club of Lenders)
BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Limited
Irish Water / Ervia
Oriel Windfarm Limited / Parkwind N.V.
Kilpaddoge Green Energy Limited
Sustainable Development Capital LLP and SDCL EE CO (Ireland) Limited
Echelon Data Centres (owned by Aldgate Developments Limited)
Glennmont Clean Energy Cooperatief U.A.
Asper Investment & Craydel Group
Statkraft Ireland Limited
Enel Global Thermal Generation Srl
- Advised a syndicate of five lenders (Allied Irish Bank plc, Natixis, Banco de Sabadell, S.A., Export Development Canada, and Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) on the portfolio financing of 18 onshore wind farm projects with an aggregate installed capacity of in excess of 361MW.
- Advising Invis Energy on the development of the 91.2MW Meenbog wind farm in Donegal.
- Acting for Oriel Windfarm Limited (Oriel) in relation to the development of the proposed 330MW Oriel offshore windfarm in Ireland.
A 'large, experienced team' with 'very good sector specific knowledge', Arthur Cox advises on the full spectrum of energy matters in the Irish market. In project financing, the team acts for both the sponsors and lenders on solar, wind, and conventional energy projects, and in the project development space it assists private companies and state-owned entities. The practice is also involved in regulatory work, M&A transactions, and commercial contracts such as power purchase agreements. Alex McLean leads the team; Danielle Conaghan handles developments and regulatory matters and Matt Dunn advises on the financing of a range of energy projects. Senior associate Niamh McGovern is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
Danielle Conaghan; Matt Dunn; Nicole Ridge; Niamh McGovern
‘The Energy and Natural resources team in Arthur Cox are ably led by Alex McLean. They possess a consummate ability to solve our problems and are continually up-to-date with case law developments which they can readily translate into clear legal advice to their clients. ’
‘Alex McLean has been our main partner and he provides clear sighted, practical and well rounded advice. He has the ability to see the many facets of a problem and in particular, to see the issue both at a micro and macro level. His consideration of an issue is also formed by an innate ability to understand the perspective from the other side of the table to which their client is dealing with. ’
‘Alex McLean is outstanding for his breadth and depth of knowledge in all things energy related – from planning to electricity markets. He has the ability to articulate complex issues in a way that is easy to understand. He is very pragmatic and is a great advocate. A lawyer whose opinion I value and trust. ’
‘Alex McLean – a one stop shop for energy in the UK and Ireland. Approachable and supportive. Tells us when we are going down one way streets and wasting time, cuts to the chase with everything. Thanks to Alex, we consider Arthur Cox a key project partner in our projects.’
‘The Arthur Cox Energy Team are commercially minded and pragmatic. Equally as helpful in scoping the work to deliver the advice we need to receive, as they are in actually delivering it. Able to see the bigger picture, the team provides strategic guidance as well as user-friendly detailed advice.’
‘Associate Nicole Ridge is excellent, with thoughtful input and advice. ’
‘Alex McLean is the go-to guy for power/energy in Ireland and is well known by all the advisors/sponsors/lenders. Everyone respects him and he is commercial, pragmatic and to the point.’
Export Import Bank of Korea and Kookmin Bank
Department of Housing, Planning & Local Government
Bord na Mona
Coillte (Irish Forestry Board)
Greenlink Interconnector Limited
Allied Irish Banks Plc
Hamburg Commercial Bank
- Advised Energia Renewables on the acquisition, development and financing of a 32MW Derrysallagh Windfarm.
- Advised Facebook on a corporate power purchase agreement for the 28.2MW Lisheen III Windfarm being developed by Brookfield Renewable Partners.
- Advising Export Import Bank of Korea and Kookmin Bank, as the lenders, on the funding of 2 x 100MW Lumcloon Battery Energy Storage Projects.
Mason Hayes & Curran LLP stands out for its activity in the renewables energy sector. It has seen an uptick in work relating to the burgeoning area of onshore and offshore wind projects, where it handles the financing and development of projects as well as transactions involving project assets. The team also acts for state bodies on regulatory matters. William Carmody, who has a core focus on financing, and Rory Kirrane SC, who handles project development and contentious work and was appointed senior counsel in 2020, are the practice heads. Eoin Cassidy is an 'exceptional' lawyer and planning and environmental specialist Deirdre Nagle is 'dedicated, client focused and hardworking'. David Gunn is another name to note.
Rory Kirrane SC; William Carmody
Other key lawyers:
Eoin Cassidy; Deirdre Nagle; Peter McLay; David Gunn
‘The team have broad depth of experience across all key areas in Irish renewables, including construction contracts, regulation, property and planning. Their unique knowledge and experience in the Irish market means you are always receiving well balanced, up to date and sound advice.’
‘Eoin Cassidy is an exceptional lawyer combining the three key attributes we seek. Firstly, he’s not afraid to take the lead on commercial issues. Secondly he’s approachable at all times. Thirdly, he will take a balanced and well researched approach to any challenge presented to him. These qualities are also shared by other team members who will approach each transaction with the same level of excellence.’
‘The team has excellent knowledge of the energy sector in Ireland and of how it is impacted by national and European law and regulations. Their experience extends across the range including electricity, renewable energy, gas and petroleum. They have extensive experience in assisting the developers of large energy related projects.’
‘I found Deirdre Nagle to be a dedicated, client focused and hardworking lawyer with exceptional knowledge and experience in the area of energy law and regulation in Ireland. She has extensive experience of litigation, arbitration and mediation cases in the energy sector. She is particularly knowledgeable in the area of electricity regulation and utilities.’
‘Eoin Cassidy and William Carmody are extremely well informed about the detailed steps that our project needs to go through and the issues that need to be addressed.’
‘I have continued to have great work from Peter McLay and his associate Keith Newman on many project contracts.’
‘Eoin Cassidy is excellent in legal due diligence, ensuring as lenders there are no risks we are not appraised of.’
‘Both Eoin and Peter are knowledgeable and this comes through during negotiations.’
Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale
Bank of Ireland
Allied Irish Banks, p.l.c.
Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland
Pioneer Point Partners
- Represented Statkraft on a number of recent significant acquisitions in the energy and natural resources space, with a total generation peak output of 420MW, including the purchase of onshore wind farms and solar parks.
- Acting for Irish Water on issues and disputes related to COVID-19, construction disputes, and project development.
- Acted as lead counsel for the lenders on the project financing of Tullahennel wind farm. The facility will have a total export capacity of 61.6MW and battery assets of over 23 MW.
Offering clients 'advice tailored to the needs of the business' Matheson has a proven track record in advising on regulatory issues and power purchase agreements, advising corporations, suppliers and generators. The firm also handles project development and transactions involving renewables and upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas. Garret Farrelly leads the team and handles the full range of energy matters, with a specialism in advising on energy regulations. Clients praised the webinars the team provides on legal issues in this sector as 'useful and insightful'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Garret Farrelly: strong lawyer.’
‘Knowledgeable in their practice area and provide pragmatic and timely advice. When working with Garret and his team we know we are in safe hands receiving quality advice whereas our experience with other practices has not been as positive.’
‘We have worked closely with Garret Farrelly and are very impressed with and confident in his industry knowledge, commerciality and work product.’
‘The team had great experience overall for what we needed. The experience we had was of a very approachable team and always ready to assist with the most urgent query on a particular day.’
‘The Matheson team demonstrate the professional standards expected from a top tier firm. What makes the team unique is their deep technical understanding of the electricity market earned through extensive experience working with the national system operators. They also bring a wealth of experience from private sector delivery of electricity projects which greatly benefited the development our project. ’
‘Garret Farrelly brings a strong core understanding of all aspects of energy project delivery. He has a wealth of experience of regulatory matters and is always pragmatic and solution focused.’
‘I have used Matheson’s services for nearly 17 years now. I always find their level of knowledge and expertise to be excellent, their advice to be very professional and practical and their commitment and level of service to be second to none. I have used other firms and have found that none have provided the same high quality of service or commitment. In particular, I have found that Matheson follow through on all tasks required post completion of transactions (eg to complete companies office filings, provide bibles of documentation etc where other firms sometimes don’t).’
‘Garret Farrelly, a partner within Matheson, deserves special mention. Garret has excellent knowledge of all aspects of the energy/renewables industry in Ireland. He is always at the cutting edge of policy and case law developments and has very good commercial acumen. Garret leads an excellent team which is always well resourced and informed.’
Air Liquide, SA
Axpo UK Ltd
Bord na Mona
Brookfield Multiplex Construction Europe Limited
Brookfield Renewable Ireland Limited
Burmeister & Wain Scandinavian Contractor A / S
CLH Aviación, SA (part of the Compañía Logística de Hidrocarburos group)
Commission for Regulation of Utilities
Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment
DNB Bank ASA
Dragados / ACS
EDF Energy Renewables Ltd
EirGrid Interconnector DAC
Element Energy Limited
Energia Renewables Development Ltd
Export Development Canada
First Reserve (part of BlackRock)
- Advised the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment on all aspects of the fundamental design and implementation of the new renewable electricity support scheme (RESS), including drafting the RESS terms and conditions as part of our mandate.
- Advised Hamburg Commercial Bank on the financing of Cleanrath wind farm, a large scale project with 15 wind turbine generators over two sites in Co. Cork.
- Advising Hanwha on the establishment and financing of a 200MW BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) project in the mid-west region of Ireland.
'Hugely experienced in energy and natural resources', McCann FitzGerald is deeply involved in regulatory energy work, particularly in the renewables space, as well as advising on financings and transactions involving energy projects. The team has recently been especially active in the growing area of offshore wind. The practice is led by Patricia Lawless, who is experienced across a wide range of energy sectors. Valerie Lawlor is a 'first-class energy transactional lawyer'; Brendan Slattery is active in advising on planning and environmental matters; and Rory O’Malley is noted for his work in both transactions and equity fundraisings. Éamon Ó Cuív, who specialises in financing, is able to provide additional support from the firm's London office.
Other key lawyers:
Valerie Lawlor; Brendan Slattery; Rory O’Mallen; Éamon Ó Cuív
‘Efficient, pragmatic, huge industry knowledge, fully focused on delivering on clients objectives, and in any deal they always seem way ahead of other side in solutions and planning for next steps and eventualities. They are proactive leaders.’
‘Valerie Lawlor is a tour de force in driving deals and project managing large scale transactions; she is so experienced and has great industry knowledge.’
‘Deep knowledge of the sector and the history of its development in Ireland.’
‘Patricia Lawless and Valerie Lawlor are outstanding in this field.’
‘The McCann FitzGerald team is hugely experienced in energy and natural resources. They have particular expertise in all aspects of regulated utilities and are the go to firm for these sectors.’
‘Patricia Lawless is a pre-eminent practitioner in this sector and deserves her inclusion in the Hall of Fame.’
‘McCann Fitzgerald have unrivalled strength-in-depth in Ireland in the energy and natural resources space. Their partners have industry experience second to none and they combine this with encyclopaedic knowledge of the law and commercial nous.’
‘Patricia Lawless is probably Ireland’s leading energy lawyer. She knows the sector backwards and is very forthcoming with her experience. Valerie Lawlor is a first-class energy transactional lawyer.’
Hazel Shore Limited
Brookfield Renewables Ireland
SUSI Partners AG
Allied Irish Bank/Derrysallagh Wind Farm
UniInstitutional Infrastruktur SICAV-SIF, a fund managed by Union Investment
Gore Street Energy Storage Fund plc
New Fortress Energy
Bord na Móna
- Advising Coillte on all aspects of its proposed joint venture with ESB to develop renewable energy generation facilities in Ireland, with the ambition of delivering 1,000MW of renewable energy to the Irish market by 2030; the transaction is subject to clearance from the CCPC and Ministerial Consent.
- Advised Brookfield on all corporate and commercial aspects of its disposal to Capital Dynamics through a competitive auction sale process of 100% of its equity interests in four wind farms located in Northern Ireland and currently advising Brookfield on the sale of further assets.
- Represented the shareholders of Hazel Shore Limited in the disposal of their shareholding to Electricite de France’s EDF Renewables unit (in what was the French group’s first investment in the Republic of Ireland) through a competitive auction sale process.
Led by Fergus Devine, William Fry's energy practice has 'in-depth knowledge and understanding of the energy market'. In addition to advising on the financing and development of conventional and renewable energy, the team also handles corporate and commercial transactions in the energy sector. The energy team draws on the firm's planning, corporate, banking, and competition departments to provide a full service offering.
‘The energy team have an excellent knowledge of their topics and always bring something new to the party when trying to resolve issues – their approach is always try to find a solution.’
‘The team have the ability to understand complex regulatory and commercial changes in the energy market and present their legal views succinctly and in plain language that anyone can understand. Very professional and great team spirit.’
‘Fergus Devine is a very talented and professional individual who not only has expertise in his own field but is very capable in dealing with complex issues relative to his clients. Very approachable and is a team player with true leadership qualities.’
‘Fergus and his team represent a true energy legal practice with lawyers with in-depth knowledge and understanding of the energy market. Fergus has been active in the energy sector for many years and advised on many of the major energy projects. ’
‘Fergus stands out for his in-depth knowledge and understanding of the Irish energy market. Fergus has been active in the energy sector for many years and knows the market inside out.’
‘Deep level of industry knowledge, particularly when it comes to the function and operation of the SEM, the capacity market and the relevant industry frameworks between ESB and EirGrid. Fantastic responsiveness, sound commercial understanding and great connections in the marketplace.’
‘Fergus Devine is a fantastic energy lawyer, very technically astute and has a deep industry understanding and awareness. He’s also very easy to work with on a project, and is able to quickly hone in on any key commercial negotiating points without getting bogged down in detail.’
Aughinish Alumina (part of Rusal Group)
Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners
European Investment Bank
Green Biofuels Ireland Limited
- Advising EirGrid on the 700MW Celtic Interconnector Project, securing a €530m grant from the EU in 2019.
- Acting as lead counsel for Aughinish Alumina, including advising on natural gas contracts, additional commodities contracts, (including oil, bauxite, distillate, lime, caustic and various acids ) and energy regulation (including national and European regulations on HE CHP plants and participation in the I-SEM) .
- Advising Amarenco Group on fundraising for its extensive pipeline of Irish solar projects, securing an initial €15m investment in Q1 2020.
With an energy practice focusing on renewables, Beauchamps acts for Irish and multinational clients on the development of energy projects as well as advising on corporate transactions involving companies and assets in this sector. Practice head Ainsley Heffernan has 'a very commercial approach to complex issues'. Of counsel Stuart Conaty joined the practice in August 2020 from Bord na Móna and handles corporate and commercial energy matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The energy team in Beauchamps spend time to get to know our energy projects individually and therefore can be (and are) proactive in providing advice on issues as they arise and certainly before they can become critical.’
‘We work with Ainsley Heffernan; Ainsley is the reason we moved to Beauchamps from our previous adviser and the reason we are still with them. Apart from the benefits of his long experience in the wind sector Ainsley has a very commercial approach to complex issues – this instinct cuts to the key points and facilitates a faster resolution of issues. Ainsley is also a very personable individual, a good person to discuss industry churn with at any time.’
‘It is reassuring to know that Beauchamps have considerable experience and expertise in the field. They understand the commercial subtleties of complex legal agreements which is invaluable.’
‘Ainsley Heffernan is an expert in the energy sector who is able to quickly identify the key issues and present deliverable solutions. I would have no hesitation in putting him in to bat on any energy project.’
‘Ainsley Heffernan is both a highly specialised renewables lawyer with in-depth knowledge of the Irish renewables market and an extremely capable corporate lawyer. Generally, our experience of other firms is that you need two separate lawyers to deliver the capabilities that Ainsley brings to the table. In addition, the team has been strengthened in recent years with excellent new hires in the team both at junior, mid level and senior level to support and complement Ainsley.’
‘Ainsley Heffernan brings unique skills to any transaction. In addition to the skills, his passion for the sector, his personal engagement with clients and his sincerity are second to none. Alongside Ainsley, Maire Cunningham has equally stood out around our more general corporate legal matters where, like Ainsley, Maire brings a passion and skill to her trade.’
Codling Offshore Wind Park
RWE Renewables (previously E.ON Renewables)
Bord na Mona
- Acted as co-counsel for EDF Renewables on its acquisition of a 50% stake in the proposed 2.1GW Codling Offshore Wind Farm. Retained by EDF and its joint venture partner, Fred Olsen, as one of three laws advising on the development and construction of the Codling Offshore Wind Farm.
- Advised Innogy on the Irish elements of the recent €43bn asset swap between RWE and E.ON.
- Acted for Harmony Solar on its €30 million joint venture with ESB to develop ground-mounted solar projects in Ireland.
ByrneWallace LLP's energy team advises on the financing and development of energy projects, as well as transactions involving energy assets. The practice is particularly active in renewable energy projects such as offshore and onshore wind, solar and biomass as well as energy storage. The practice is led by Gavin Blake, while Neil Keenan is another key partner in the team. Senior associate Karen Outram is active in financings.
Other key lawyers:
Neil Keenan; Karen Outram
‘Gavin Blake’s expertise in energy and infrastructure is critical when structuring green energy SPVs. It is his understanding of the linkages between materials supply, energy production and waste stream, and associated value chain, that enables the required wraps to support the delivery of these interlinked SPV developments.’
‘Very easy to work alongside. Gavin Blake in particular is fantastic to work with, perceptive, detailed and excellent at explaining complex legal issues in layman’s terms.’
‘The ByrneWallace energy team combines strong technical legal capabilities with outstanding market intelligence and insight. They are constantly attuned to market developments and will often provide an invaluable prompt as to potential opportunities in Ireland. They really have their finger on the pulse of the Irish renewable energy market.’
‘Gavin Blake is a “go-to” adviser on Irish onshore wind and energy regulation matters. He is a mine of information on potential secondary transactions in the market.’
‘Neil Keenan is a corporate heavyweight in energy and provides real gravitas to M&A and corporate finance transactions in the sector. ’
‘ByrneWallace provides us with an excellent external legal function with access across a broad range of competences most specifically natural resource, capital market, corporate and M&A advice. Being able to call on a “one-stop shop” is invaluable.’
‘Their personnel have experience of the wind industry (offshore and onshore) and know the mindset of participants therein.’
‘I trust Gavin Blake to watch my back in all legal matters and to give me a heads up on industry-related matters. Gavin is thorough, thoughtful and efficient. He knows how to close out a tight deadline deal and will work tirelessly in this regard.’
Mainstream Renewable Power
MPG Wind (AEM Wind Holdings)
Natural Forces Renewable Energy
- Advised ING Bank on the project finance of a portfolio of three wind farms in Counties Sligo and Donegal, amongst the final projects to benefit from REFIT support.
- Advised Close Leasing Limited relating to facilities provided to a 50% shareholder in a 20.5MW wind farm in County Cavan.
- Advised Windmark Developments on the sale of its wholly owned subsidiary, Solar Farmers Limited, to Energia.
Eversheds Sutherland draws on the expertise of its offices in Dublin, Belfast and London to assist with cross-border energy matters, such as corporate transactions involving energy assets. The team also handles the financing and development of renewable and conventional energy projects, in addition to advising on commercial matters such as power purchase agreements. Mark Varian heads the practice. Corporate partner Peter O’Neill is active in advising on transactions involving renewable energy assets.
Other key lawyers:
‘Detailed knowledge of the local market and players.’
‘Mark Varian is always cheerful and happy to take a call. Very knowledgeable and keen to ensure success of his clients.’
China General Nuclear
Innogy (now RWE)
First Trust Bank
Michael Rouse Group
Pension Infrastructure Platform (PiP)
- Acted for Three Trees Wind Project in two separate High Court cases arising from disputes with two adjoining landowners while progressing the development of the windfarm at Three Trees, in County Donegal.
- Acted as lead construction adviser to EirGrid and its subsidiary Soni (the Transmission System Operator in Northern Ireland) on the construction of the Celtic Electricity Interconnector.
- Advised SMR International Windparks on the development and financing of a series of three wind farms.
Philip Lee's energy practice advises on matters relating to solar, offshore wind, district heating, and waste-to-energy plants. The firm also assisted with the first corporate PPA between a multinational and a renewable energy generator, and one of the first community-led solar projects in the RESS-1 auction. Practice head Siobhan McCabe is 'a stalwart of the Irish energy sector'. Planning and environmental specialist Alice Whittaker is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘It is clear that the team, led by Siobhan McCabe, keeps up to date on legal and regulatory developments at national, EU and international level in order to anticipate changes in the sector and their clients’ needs. As a result, they are exceptionally good. In particular, they are leaders in advising on battery energy storage and corporate PPAs. ’
‘Siobhan McCabe is a leader in battery storage energy and corporate PPAs. She is highly experienced and this shows with her in-depth specialist knowledge of the sector and responsive and commercial approach. She is efficient, pragmatic and diligent and has an excellent manner both with her clients and with the other side.’
‘We worked with a very thorough team lead by partners Siobhan McCabe, Simon O’Neill and John O’Donoghue. All of them had excellent knowledge of their area and were helpful throughout.’
‘The team has cross sector depth and expertise beyond the strong individuals that make up the team.’
‘Siobhan McCabe is remarkably knowledgeable and equally commercial. She makes the complex understandable and the aspirational achievable. An excellent head of department that leads by example. She is not only one to watch – her time is now. She and her team respond to complex matters quickly and go beyond what lawyers usually would do. Great to have in your corner.’
‘The team at Phillip Lee comprises individuals with a real technical understanding and affinity for the energy sector. They have developed market leading expertise in corporate PPAs and battery storage projects.’
‘Siobhan McCabe is a stalwart of the Irish energy sector with experience and expertise that spans both the thermal and renewable energy sectors. She is comfortable discussing the technical details and applies this deeper understanding to cut through the legal issues and deliver real value for her clients.’
Scottish Power Renewables/Iberdrola Group
Bank of Ireland
Dublin City Council
South County Dublin
Port of Cork
Sustainable Development Capital
Tullynamoyle Wind Farm 3 Limited
- Advising ScottishPower Renewables on the acquisition and development of a 50MW battery energy storage project in Co. Meath.
- Advising RWE Renewables on the proposed development of the 600MW Dublin Array offshore wind farm project.
- Advising Amber Energy, a highly innovative UK-based energy services company, on the development of a build-to-let renewable energy offering in Ireland.
Fieldfisher's energy practice specialises in renewable energy projects, particularly wind power. The team's work in this area includes advice on the financing of wind projects and assisting joint ventures with developing projects and transactions involving these assets. The team also advised on a floating wind farm, the first of its kind in the Irish market. The practice is led by Feilim O’Caoimh; Elaine Traynor is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘We value their consistency. I have worked with the Fieldfisher team for the last five years and the majority of the team hasn’t changed. This really makes a difference as you build trust up over time and when I have a new project to deal with I know I can trust the team. ’
‘Fieldfisher represented us on a large portfolio sale of assets. The service provided was second to none. They worked 20-hour days, seven days a week to close out the sale. Feilim, Elaine, Teodora and Daniel made themselves available during bank holidays weekends and all other weekends required. We have another large transaction soon and I won’t be going with any other legal firm.’
‘The team are extremely professional and knowledgeable.’
‘Feilim O’Caoimh and Elaine Traynor are extremely well informed about the detailed steps that our project needed to go through and the issues that needed to be addressed.’
Galetech Energy Developments Limited
Tullynamoyle Wind Farm II Limited
Gweedore Wind Farm Limited
Allied Irish Bank Plc
WED Castle Limited
Hamburg Commercial Bank AG
Close Leasing Limited
North West Wind Limited
Simply Blue Energy Wind Limited
- Advised Simply Blue Energy Wind on the sale of 80% of the issued share capital of a company owned by the client for the purpose of entering into a joint venture for the development of a number of floating offshore wind farms.
- Advised Galetech on the sale of 50% of the issued share capital of Carrickallen Wind Limited to GR Wind Farms 1 Limited, a subsidiary of Greencoat Renewables PLC.
- Acted for Galetech, GE Energy, LLC and Storm Management NV (the “Sellers”) on the sale of a portfolio of three onshore wind farm projects, namely, Cloghan Wind Farm in County Offaly (34 MW), Cregg Wind Farm in County Cavan (23 MW) and Pinewood Wind Farm in County Laois (46.2 MW) to Norwegian utility Statkraft, through its Irish subsidiary, Statkraft Ireland Limited. The total sale price of all three projects was €27.5 million
LK Shields Solicitors LLP is noted for its work on wind energy projects, advising on financings as well as transactions in this area. The team also handles corporate and commercial transactions involving conventional energy, particularly in the oil sector. Philip Daly leads the practice.
Star Energy Plc
- Advised US-based electric energy group Ameresco on its acquisition and upgrade of the Beale Hill Wind Farm in County Kerry.
- Acting for Sebased (a global leader in ocean based renewable energy solutions) in relation to the reorganisation of the company into Ireland from Sweden for investment purposes.
- Acting for Coillte, a commercial forestry company owned by the Irish government that manages approximately 7% of the country’s land, in relation to the procurement and contractual aspects of renewable energy projects and ongoing construction operations.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP advises on matters including financings and M&A transactions. The team advises international clients entering the Irish market, and the Dublin office collaborates with the Belfast team to advise on all-island transactions. Richard Murphy heads the Irish team across the Dublin and Belfast offices, while Garrett Monaghan leads the Dublin office.
Richard Murphy; Garrett Monaghan
‘Very responsive, quality market knowledge, good technical drafting ability.’
- Advising Nord LB on the project financing of the Vindin portfolio of 95MW operational windfarms in Sweden and Finland; with the finance documents governed by Irish law.
- Advised the EDF Group on its move into Ireland by acquiring 50% of the Codling offshore wind project from Hazel Shore.
- Avised Obton A/S on a series of acquisitions concerning the development solar projects in Ireland, in excess of 200MW ahead of Ireland’s new support scheme for renewables (RESS).