Shipping in Indonesia
ABNR Counsellors at Law has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious shipping issues. The team consists of practice head Emir Nurmansyah, who is very strong in vessel financing; Sahat Siahaan, who focuses on shipping disputes; and Nurdin Adiwibowo, who is highly skilled in shipping finance transactions. Also highly recommended is of counsel M Husseyn Umar, who is also experienced in contentious shipping issues.
‘Very responsive and on the ball.’
‘Juni Dani is very client-friendly and commercially minded.’
- Successfully defended Wallem Group in an appeal before the Supreme Court against a tort claim brought by a disgruntled joint venture partner.
- Successfully represented Current Finance Ltd in its $4.5m District Court breach-of-contract claim against Indonesian seatank-container operator PT Jawa Express Amanda Indah, Hong Kong-based Ocean Oasis Investment Ltd, and Netherlands-based Amanresorts.
- Representing Italy-based shipping company Mediterranea di Navigazione in enforcing two arbitration awards against an Indonesian state-owned shipbuilder.
- Represented Total Marine & Claims Services in a breach of contract claim involving the contamination of cargo.
- Represented Baker Hughes Indonesia as co-defendant in a claim for approximately $15,000 in damages brought by PT Le Shawn Engineering in the Batam District Court for alleged breach of contract.
Maritime and shipping specialist firm Samuel Bonaparte has a strong track record in shipping-related disputes. Name partner Samuel Bonaparte Hutapea leads the team and has expertise in both litigation and ADR in shipping cases.
Samuel Bonaparte Hutapea
SSEK Legal Consultants runs the gamut of shipping and maritime-related services. Dyah Soewito jointly leads the practice and is especially skilled in ship financing and cabotage issues. Fellow practice head Michael Twomey has a longstanding history in the oil and gas sector, and with that brings a strong skill set in handling ship financing and cabotage matters. Also recommended is Stephen Igor Warokka, who is notably strong in the purchasing and selling of vessels.
Dyah Soewito; Michael Twomey
Other key lawyers:
‘The SSEK team provides a excellent level of service through a single point of contact who is supported by a team with good breadth of knowledge.’
Axxis Geo Solutions
- Successfully assisted Axxis Geo Solutions with the deregistration of a seismic survey vessel.
- Assisted Ensco with the preparation of a loan agreement.
- Advised Technip Indonesia and Technip Geoproduction on reviewing an EPC contract related to potential liability.
- Acting for Dutch maritime contracting company Van Oord on a variety of matters related to its operations in Indonesia.
- Represented BW Offshore in the lease of a floating production vessel.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners is highly experienced in shipping disputes, financing and insurance issues. Eri Hertiawan heads the practice and focuses on dispute resolution, with a particularly strong reputation in ADR.
OOCL Logistics Indonesia
Salam Pacific Indonesia Lines
Pelabuhan Indonesia IV
CITIC Capital Partners Management Limited
Fountainvest Partners (Asia) Limited
- Represented OOCL Logistics Indonesia in a tort claim brought by Layar Sentosa Shipping for compensation for fire damage.
- Advised Pelabuhan Indonesia IV (Pelindo IV), one of the largest port operators in Indonesia, on the issuance of IDR3tn in domestic bonds.
- Advised CITIC Capital Partners and FountainVest on the acquisition of a majority stake in China Merchants Loscam, a subsidiary of Sinotrans
- Represented Salam Pacific Indonesia Lines in establishing a joint venture company with Toll Logistics.
Budidjaja International Lawyers
Budidjaja International Lawyers advises on shipping disputes and financing for both international and domestic clients. Juni Dani leads the team and has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious issues surrounding shipping and maritime law. She regularly handles disputes concerning collisions, wreck removal, cargo loss and oil pollution.
- Defended Malaysian shipping company LKC Shipping Line against a civil claim brought by an Australian insurer.