Assegaf Hamzah & Partners’s highly respected team has regularly appeared before the Supreme Court and district courts, as well as acting on international and domestic arbitration. Senior partner Eri Hertiawan is a key name in the market for alternative dispute resolution, as illustrated by his recent appointment as member of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre. His disputes have involved corporate, banking aviation, criminal and competition law cases. Founding partner Chandra Hamzah is another key name and most notably known for his work handling anti-corruption cases.
Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Frans Winarta & Partners
FWP has been recognized for its extensive experience and outstanding achievements in assisting clients with civil, criminal, IP and commercial litigation, and commercial arbitration for more than thirty years. The firm advises a wide range of clients, varying from national and multinational tobacco, oil and gas, aviations, automotives, and financial companies to domestic and foreign …View Profile...
Dispute resolution in Indonesia
PT Coca Cola Indonesia
PT Antam (Persero) Tbk
PT Hero Supermarket
Asian Development Bank
PT Jakarta Industrial Estate Pulogadung
PT Indonesia Asahan Aluminium (Persero)
PT Jasa Marga (Persero) Tbk.
PT Vale Indonesia Tbk.
PT Aneka Tambang (Persero) Tbk.
PT Unilever Indonesia PTbk.
K2 Data Center
Regus Business Centre Indonesia PT
Nirvana Wastu Pratama
Bright Mobile Telecommunication PT (Oppo)
PT Danone Indonesia
PT Garuda Indonesia
Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources
Coca Cola Amatil Indonesia
- Represented Coca Cola Indonesia in a commercial dispute concerning the bottling of its products.
- Represented Antam on a dispute brought by several mining companies over a nickel mining concession and mining licenses.
- Represented Asian Development Bank in relation to a civil claim filed by an ex-employee to the Central Jakarta District Court.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie has been instructed on high profile disputes in the areas of financial services, energy, real estate and technology, and particularly stands out for its strengths in contentious issues surrounding bankruptcies and insolvencies. Managing partner Timur Sukirno is a founding member of the Indonesian Receivers and Administrators Association and is adept in handling suspension of payment processes and out of court settlements. Arbitration is a key focus of Andi Kadir, who is is a member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration and co-chairman of the arbitration and ADR commission of ICC Indonesia. He is also particularly skilled in handling bankruptcy proceedings.
‘Our experience working with Baker McKenzie team in Indonesia (HHP) showed consistent performance of being available and reliable. The team have strong knowledge and sufficient experience in managing insurance dispute resolution cases in Indonesia, they have provided us with a comprehensive assessment and sensible recommendation with risk mitigation during managing the dispute cases. For any queries from us, they did their best to provide the response and we also experience lots of discussions with the Baker Mc Kenzie team to ensure that we have anticipated all possible scenarios. And they are also flexible enough to use several communications applications such as WhatsApp, email , mobile phone, etc.’
‘Stand out partner Andi Kadir. Stand out associate Bernard Sihombing. Our observation from several experience working with Andi Kadir and Bernard Sihombing, showed that the consistent performance of being available and reliable. They have strong knowledge and sufficient experience in managing insurance dispute resolution cases in Indonesia. They also have a strong capability in playing their role as our dispute lawyer when needed especially when we met client/mediator/arbiter face to face The special practice that they have which make us satisfied are by being available and by having proactive communication.’
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills’ multidisciplinary practice particularly stands out for its expertise in handling internal investigations, international arbitration and major bankruptcies. Narendra Adiyasa jointly leads the practice and has been very active before Jakarta’s commercial courts as well as arbitration in both Jakarta and Singapore, especially in relation to tort claims, shareholder disputes as well as issues surrounding FIDIC contracts. Fellow practice head Debby Sulaiman is best known for restructuring disputes but also handles commercial and construction-related cases.
Hutchison Ports Holding Limited
Indofood Agri Resources Ltd
Jakarta International Container Terminal
Willis Towers Watson
- Assisted Indofood Agri Resources by conducting a comprehensive analysis of an RSPO report on its subsidiary, PT PP London Sumatra Indonesia Tbk. (Lonsum), which found allegations against Lonsum to be unmerited.
- Represented Essilor Manufacturing in filing a criminal complaint against an employee over embezzlement, fraud and/or money laundering for illegally transferring substantial funds to bank accounts in 17 jurisdictions.
Soemadipradja & Taher is a leading firm for disputes pertaining to the energy and natural resources sector, often advising on contentious issues concerning procurement, construction and payments issues. The team is experienced in litigation as well as domestic and international arbitration, the latter of which has recently been enhanced through its new alliance with Singaporean law firm Allen & Gledhill LLP. Most instructions are handled by founding partner Hafzan Taher as well as Nira Sari Nazarudin and Ahmad Djosan.
- Defended Petronas against procurement bid rigging allegations.
- Defended Pertamina Hulu Mahakam against allegations of the illegal purchase of land.
- Advised Total E&P Indonesie in an arbitration concerning delayed construction work.
ABNR Counsellors at Law is a leading firm for shipping disputes in the market and also very strong in contentious issues surrounding commercial agreements, construction, energy and infrastructure projects, and employment. Sahat Siahaan jointly leads the practice and is an expert in litigation and arbitration in both a local and international context. He is also very experienced in the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards in Indonesia. He leads the team alongised Ulyarta Naibaho who acted in the Supreme Court and district courts in commercial litigation and currently very active in real estate disputes.
- Advised an Indonesian property developer in the Administrative Court and Supreme Court on their challenge to the legality of a land rezoning decree issued by the Governor of Banten Province.
- Defended a Japanese shipping line as defendants in the District Court and Appellate Court against a tort claim by PT Asuransi Recapital in connection with the sinking of a container ship in the Indian Ocean.
- Represented a leading security products company in the District Court and Appellate Court against 3 separate but related tort claims for damages brought by former shareholders alleging they were unlawfully deprived of dividends.
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners’s repertoire in dispute resolution primarily concerns shareholders, employment, environmental issues, bankruptcy and land ownership. Sectors of particular interest include manufacturing, energy and infrastructure, as well as financial services. Sartono works at the helm and has been particularly active in advising plantation companies on shareholder disputes. Linna Simamora has broad expertise in corporate and commercial work, with additional expertise in complementary areas such as employment and IP.
‘The team working closely with the client and give attention to details and clarity.’
‘They are individuals that understand clients.’
PT Pentasena Bina Wisesa
Cessna Finance Export Corporation; Textron Aviation Finance Corporation.
PT Karya Makmur Abadi
PT Mulia Agro Permai
PT Eka Bogainti
Makarim & Taira S. predominantly focuses on payments disputes and contractual breaches concerning major transactions or projects. Lia Alizia leads the practice and is an expert in the aforementioned areas, and most notably securing the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards in Indonesia. Other key members of the team include Rahayu Hoed, who is adept in handling environmental disputes, and Alexandra FM Gerungan, who is skilled in civil and criminal payment-related disputes.
‘Responsive and has a depth of knowledge in a number of practice areas.’
‘Lia Alizia is articulate and very pleasant to work with. Rudy Andreas Halomoan Sitorus is responsive and is always available to deal with client enquiries.’
‘Generally speaking, the lawyers that attended to our file were extremely responsive and provided quality advice.’
‘Ms Benedicta Frizka was very switched on and assisted us every step of the way. She was also very prompt and precise with her responses and that convenienced us greatly.’
Club Med Asie
Hipra SA Laboratories
Radisson Hotels Asia Pacific
PT Sari Melati Kencana
PT DSI Underground
PT Geo Dipa Energi (Persero)
PT Ferrostaal Equipment Solutions
PT Panasonic Gobel Indonesia
Banner Marine Pty Ltd
PT Wood Group Pressure Control
Radio Frequency System
Alcan Packaging Flexipack
The Commonwealth of Australia/Australian Embassy in Jakarta
Kellogg Brown and Root
Croda Overseas Holdings Limited
PT Daewoong Pharmaceutical Company Indonesia
- The Firm is assisting and representing the Client in a civil case against an Indonesian company in the Indonesian Court and assisting Malaysian Counsels in a case in Malaysian Court in a dispute against its purchaser (the Indonesian Company) which supplied the Government of Indonesia of smart card ID.
SSEK Legal Consultants’ full-service corporate practice has expertise in contentious areas such as contractual breaches as well as disputes concerning major exits, restructuring or M&A transactions. Dewi Savitri Reni is a new name noted for her expertise in civil and criminal litigation, and often acts in arbitration cases. Michael Carl, who is best known for debt restructurings, is also recommended.
China Development Bank
United Overseas Bank (UOB)
PT Bakrie Telecom Tbk
Ministry of State-Owned Enterprises and Ministry of Finance
Jakarta Intercultural School
- Acted for a consulting services firm in litigation to recover funds expended in an aborted acquisition.
- Assisted General Motors with the planned exit of its manufacturing business from Indonesia and the restructuring of its business in Indonesia to an authorized operator, with the goal of minimizing legal risk and ensuring a seamless transition.
- Assisted our client in resolving a contractual dispute through a binding opinion process at the Indonesia National Board of Arbitration (BANI).
Budidjaja International Lawyers
Attracting local and international clients, Budidjaja International Lawyers is active before the court as well as in arbitration in disputes concerning payment disputes, commercial agreements and data breaches. Founding partner Tony Budidjaja, an accredited advocate, mediator, and arbiter, leads the practice.
- Advised National Environment Agency of Singapore on the allegedly unlawful exchange of data.
- Advised Perusahaan Daerah Pertambangan dan Energi Sumatera Selatan on a dispute concerning a sale and purchase agreement.
- Advised Spice Digital Indonesia on a contract breach claim.
Hogan Lovells in association with Dewi Negara Fachri & Partners is led by managing partner Chalid Heyder who is best known for bankruptcy and suspension of payments disputes, but also has broad capabilities in commercial and contractual issues. Heyder has been active in litigation and arbitration locally, but also very experience in Singapore’s international arbitration centres.
Nurjadin Sumono Mulyadi & Partners
Nurjadin Sumono Mulyadi & Partners has a strong track record in advising on bankruptcy and postponement of debt settlement disputes, and has acted before the Supreme Court and commercial courts. Mulyadi leads the practice and alongside his high profile work in payment disputes is also highly skilled in commercial and employment litigation.
Oentoeng Suria & Partners has expertise in corporate, commercial and bankruptcy disputes, with expertise in both litigation and arbitration. Practice head Prawidha Murti is a qualified advocate and has acted for clients in local courts and tribunals, as well as on domestic and international arbitration. Sector areas of particular interest include construction, financial services and TMT.
Harvardy, Marieta & Mauren - Attonrneys at Law
Harvardy, Marieta & Mauren - Attorneys at Law commands a steady stream of commercial litigation for domestic companies, counting Tokopedia as a key client. The team's recent cases have appeared before the district courts as well as the local BANI arbitration centre. Harvardy Iqbal leads the team an is an expert in civil and commercial litigation.
- Defended Bank KEB Hana Indonesia in a civil claim lodged by AvinInternational SA, Allium Marine Company, Eden Shipholding Ltd and Berez Shipholding Inc with regard to a tort claim.
- Representing e-commerce company Tokopedia in a criminal report where a seller was manipulating its system.
- Representing Commonwealth in civil lawsuits as defendant against its customers related to the rejection of insurance claim
Leks&Co is primarily known for its work handling real estate disputes but also handles contentious issues concerning procurement, shipping and energy projects. Leading the team is Ivor Pasaribu who is highly experienced in acting before the commercial courts and arbitration centres in Indonesia.
Imako Perkasa Lines
PT Limin Marine & Offshores
Governor of DKI Jakarta through Legal Bureau of DKI Jakarta
- Representing Imako Perkasa Lines in an arbitration proceeding as the Claimant over a breach of contract claim.
Acting for large corporates and SMEs, Roosdiono & Partners is adept in handling litigation cases concerning bankruptcy cases, industrial relations and competition law. Practice head Afriyan Rachmad has acted before the district courts, High Court and Supreme Court, with a particular focus on the energy and infrastructure sector.
- Represented PT Herbalife Indonesia in a membership dispute against 3 former members.
- Represented PT Fast Retailing Indonesia (Uniqlo Indonesia) on industrial relations dispute against a former-manager level-employee.
- Represented Mitsubishi UFJ Lease, Pte. Ltd. as a secured creditor in the bankruptcy proceedingsof PT Sariwangi Agriculture Estate Agency.
With expertise in both litigation and ADR, Suhardi Somomoeljono & Associates (SSA Advocates) stands out for its expertise in construction, insolvency and employment disputes. Founding partner Suhardi Somomoeljono is a respected name in the market, partly down to his experience in handling anti-corruption cases. Dianyndra Kusuma Hardy is another key name noted for his experience in construction contracts and insolvencies.
- Advised Krakatau Posco on a dispute concerning commercial agreement.
- Represented Hutama Karya on a real estate-related dispute.
- Advised Pratiwi Putri Sulung on a construction-related dispute.
TNB & Partners focuses on contract disputes and civil claims that mostly involve the oil and gas and mining sector. Kresna Panggabean works at the helm and has expertise in disputes concerning bankruptcies, delayed payments, contract breaches and general commercial issues. He has resolved contentious issues through litigation and arbitration.
‘As a group we engage NRF across the globe in various capacities. Dispute resolution requirements may occur unexpectedly and one practice networking is a major factor when engaging legal services providers. An example of this is working with the Jakarta practice of NRF and their ability to hit the ground running through London office co-ordination. Once established the direction to and liaison with the Jakarta team was a seamless communication. Thereafter a direct relationship was easily established and maintained.’
‘Kresna Panggabean – excellent abilities to consider facts and recommend appropriate actions through threatened and actual litigation progress. Good communicator, relationship underpinned by Kresna’s visits to London office.’
‘Dandi Hamid – excellent support to Kresna, clearly hardworking Associate slightly behind the scenes more than capable of proposing and delivering support services.’
‘NRF has combined the knowledge of Indonesian legal/law enforcement environment with the understanding of how multi-national companies operate. In addition to the aforementioned knowledge, NRF also has a good relationship with local Indonesian counsels.’
‘Associate Dandi Hamid has a good understanding of Indonesian law enforcement environment and how to navigate through the inconsistent procedures in Indonesia.’
PT Mitra Nasional Pratama
PT IOL Indonesia
- Advising Mitra Nasional Pratama in a dispute concerning a contract breach.
- We are advising and representing IOL Indonesia in multiple issues pertaining to criminal and civil matter.
- Represented Nippon Oil in a civil lawsuit filed by its former business partner.