Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Frans Winarta & Partners
FWP has been recognized for its extensive experience and outstanding achievements in assisting clients with civil, criminal, IP and commercial litigation, and commercial arbitration for more than thirty years. The firm advises a wide range of clients, varying from national and multinational tobacco, oil and gas, aviations, automotives, and financial companies to domestic and foreign …View Profile...
Dispute resolution in Indonesia
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners covers the spectrum of dispute resolution matters and has a number of household names among its client base. Chandra Hamzah co-heads the practice and is an expert in ADR, tort law, contract breaches and anti-corruption compliance. Eri Hertiawan, who also leads the team, has a longstanding presence in the dispute resolution sphere and is currently very active in aviation disputes. Also recommended are Ahmad Maulana, who is an expert in commercial and labour-related litigation, and Asep Ridwan, who focuses on commercial, consumer and competition-related litigation.
Chandra Hamzah; Eri Hertiawan
Asian Development Bank
Coca-Cola Amatil Indonesia
Coca-Cola Bottling Indonesia
OOCL Logistics Indonesia
Petronas Niaga Indonesia
Indonesia Airasia Extra
Royal Industries Indonesia
- Represented Hero Supermarket in relation to a dispute with PT Lingkar Cipta Selaras over a lease agreement.
- Represented Asian Development Bank in a wrongful termination claim brought by a former employee.
- Successfully represented Coca-Cola Indonesia in a dispute concerning the renewal of a bottling agreement.
- Successfully defended Coca-Cola Bottling Indonesia against prosecution for allegedly causing pollution and extracting groundwater without a permit.
- Represented Aneka Tambang in a compensation claim brought by Perusahaan Toradja concerning the transfer of a mine site.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie is skilled in litigation as well as both international and domestic arbitration. Timur Sukirno co-heads the practice and focuses on disputes involving projects, compliance, anti-bribery and bankruptcy. Also leading the team is Andi Kadir, who is highly skilled in arbitration. Brian Manuel, who is experienced in general commercial litigation, is another name of note.
Timur Sukirno; Andi Kadir
Other key lawyers:
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills' multi-disciplinary disputes practice has expertise in civil litigation, commercial arbitration, investigations and private wealth disputes. Narendra Adiyasa leads the team and specialises in internal investigations and employment law. Debby Sulaiman is another key figure and is particularly skilled in construction and bankruptcy-related disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Hutchison Ports Holding Limited
United Technologies Corporation
Jakarta International Container Terminal
Hyundai Engineering Construction
Thyssennkrupp Industries India
Nusa Halmahera Minerals
- Successfully defending Hyundai Engineering Construction Co Ltd against a challenge by PT Alam Dunia Engineering and Construction to the validity of an English language agreement entered into with Hyundai
- Advised Hutchison Ports Jakarta Pte Ltd on successfully defending a claim made by the labour union against Jakarta International Container Terminal, a joint venture between Hutchison and state-owned port operator Pelindo II.
- Represented Toshiba Carrier Corporation in a $22m dispute with a former distributor of Toshiba’s air conditioners over the termination of the distributorship.
- Acted for Elders Indonesia in a series of three civil claims filed with the same district court by a resident living near Elders’ feedlot in Central Lampung relating to the transfer of a plot of land to Elders.
- Representing Cheetham Garam Indonesia, a salt producer, in a cartel investigation by Indonesia’s Business Competition Commission (KPPU).
Soemadipradja & Taher is highly skilled in litigation as well as both local and international arbitration, with a strong background in disputes involving the energy and manufacturing sectors. Founding partner Hafzan Taher is an expert in both litigation and ADR. Nira Sari Nazarudin handles litigation involving corporate, debt restructuring, insurance, aviation and maritime issues. Ahmad Djosan is also a key figure and acts on contentious matters concerning the energy and natural resources, insurance, banking and finance, TMT and aviation sectors. Associate Winotia Ratna is also recommended.
Astra Honda Motor
- Acted as legal counsel to Stolt-Nielsen in a civil claim.
- Acted as legal counsel to Astra Honda Motor in proceedings relating to an allegation of unfair business practices.
Frans Winarta & Partners is skilled in civil and criminal litigation, as well as arbitration and mediation. Name partner Frans Winarta is the key contact and is highly skilled in corporate, employment and labour disputes.
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners' disputes team primarily operates in sectors such as infrastructure, technology, manufacturing, banking and natural resources. Practice head Sartono is an expert in litigation and arbitration, with particular expertise in representing plantation companies. Also recommended is Linna Simamora, who focuses on employment disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Nunukan Jaya Lestari
Angkasa Pura I
- Represented Nunukan Jaya Lestari in a land entitlement dispute with a fellow palm oil company.
- Acted for Angkasa Pura I in a dispute concerning an environmental licence for the development of the new international airport in Yogyakarta.
Makarim & Taira S. handles contentious issues through both litigation and arbitration. Managing partner Lia Alizia is a key figure and an expert in corporate and commercial litigation. Alexandra FM Gerungan is strong in litigation and arbitration and very active in the financial services and pharmaceuticals sectors. Rahayu Ningsih Hoed also handles disputes in the financial services sector and has additional expertise in contentious issues surrounding the energy sector. Senior associate Rudy Andreas Sitorus, who is skilled in civil litigation and arbitration, is also recommended.
Lia Alizia; Alexandra FM Gerungan; Rahayu Ningsih Hoed
Other key lawyers:
Club Med Asie
Hipra SA Laboratories
Carlson Hotels Asia Pacific
PT Sari Melati Kencana
PT DSI Underground
PT Geo Dipa Energi (Persero)
PT Ferrostaal Equipment Solutions
PT Nusa Halmahera Minerals
Banner Marine Pty Ltd
PT Wood Group Pressure Control
Radio Frequency System
Alcan Packaging Flexipack
The Commonwealth of Australia/Australian Embassy in Jakarta
Canadian Red Cross in Jakarta
Croda Overseas Holdings Limited
PT Daewoong Pharmaceutical Company Indonesia
- Representing Geo Dipa Energi in a civil lawsuit filed by its business partner, alleging that the client had committed a fraud by conducting its business activity without a proper permit.
SSEK Legal Consultants is experienced in both litigation and arbitration and has a strong emphasis on the natural resources sector. Michael Carl is a key figure and known for his work in the energy sector. Dewi Savitri Reni is another name of note and is experienced in both civil and criminal litigation.
Other key lawyers:
China Development Bank
United Overseas Bank
Bakrie Telecom Tbk
Ministry of State-Owned Enterprises and Ministry of Finance
Jakarta Intercultural School
- Advised Technip Indonesia and Technip Geoproduction on potential liability in relation to an EPC contract.
- Advised Nordea Bank on the enforcement of a ship mortgage on a ship docked in Indonesia.
- Acted as an expert witness in a London arbitration over a failed commodities transaction in Indonesia.
ABNR Counsellors at Law's work within this space involves litigation and ADR relating to shipping, infrastructure and insolvency. Sahat Siahaan is an expert in litigation and arbitration and is notably active in shipping and aviation disputes. Also highly recommended are Ulyarta Naibaho, who acts on commercial and employment cases, and Nafis Adwani, who is an expert in commercial, restructuring and real estate matters.
‘Familiar with local law, detailed their explanations and diligent with their follow-ups.’
‘The ABNR team is well rounded, very helpful and responsive to clients.’
‘Advice is clear and user-friendly.’
‘Teuku Ridzky Firmansyah Amin and Sahat Siahaan are highly recommended.’
Merck & Co
Indonesian lender Bank Artha Graha International
Wallem Group Ltd
Total Marine & Claims Services
- Acted for the Wallem Group in arbitration proceedings against Layar Sentosa Shipping, which alleged that the client did not fulfil its obligations for their joint venture.
- Acting as counsel to AXN Holdings in a breach of contract claim for $958,000 in damages against Karyamegah Adijaya, a provider of pay-satellite television trading as Aora TV, which had entered into an agreement to carry the client’s channels.
- Acted for Current Finance Ltd in a breach-of-contract claim against Indonesian tank-container operator Jawa Express Amanda Indah, Hong Kong-based Ocean Oasis Investment Ltd, and Netherlands-based Amanresorts BV. The dispute arose out of the defendants’ failure to fulfil their payment obligations under a heavy-equipment leasing agreement.
- Acted for Mediterranea di Navigazione, which obtained two arbitration awards totalling approximately $22.2m against Indonesian state-owned shipbuilder PAL after the client was forced to terminate its contract for two vessels as a result of unacceptable delays in delivery.
Hogan Lovells DNFP is highly skilled in litigation, arbitration and corporate investigations. Chalid Heyder leads the team and is notably skilled in handling arbitrations, civil disputes, and bankruptcy suspension of payments.
‘The team always go beyond expectations and are flexible in responding to our requests and inquiries.’
‘They treat their clients with the utmost respect.’
‘Chalid Heyder and Teguh Darmawan are simply brilliant. They understand their core work and provide clients with cases and comparisons in similar and other industries.’
Hutabarat Halim & Rekan is skilled in litigation and arbitration and is regularly instructed on cross-border disputes. Pheo Hutabarat is the key name of note and has handled contentious matters concerning capital markets, bankruptcy, IP and labour.
Oentoeng Suria & Partners has a diverse dispute resolution practice that is currently highly active in the telecoms, financial services, natural resources, construction and manufacturing sectors. Prawidha Murti leads the team and is highly experienced in both litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Leks&Co specialises in real estate and shipping disputes, including matters concerning contract breaches, civil claims, shareholder disagreements and land disputes. Ivor Pasaribu leads the practice and is often supported by managing partner Eddy Leks.
Other key lawyers:
China Railway Group
China Harbour Group
Country Garden Indonesia
TJ Silvanus Group
- Represented Imako Perkasa Lines as the claimant in arbitration regarding the unilateral termination of a contract by the respondent.
- Represented Limin in a dispute concerning a joint venture agreement.
- Assisted Pembangunan Deltamas (the developer of the well-known Deltamas City in West Java) with filing a claim relating to the value of land compensation given by the chief of Land Procurement for the Development of Public Interest in the District Court of Bekasi.
- Advised PT Country Garden Indonesia and PT Sunny Garden Property in a breach of contract claim.
Nurjadin Sumono Mulyadi & Partners
Nurjadin Sumono Mulyadi & Partners has expertise in commercial, civil and criminal litigation, with additional expertise in ADR. Mulyadi leads the team and is an expert in disputes concerning the banking, infrastructure and natural resources sectors.
TNB & Partners is very active in commercial, civil and criminal disputes involving the natural resources sector. Kresna Panggabean leads the team and has represented clients in litigation, arbitration and investigations.
‘TNB as part of the Norton Rose Fulbright affiliation mirrors the international law firm’s high standards from both a legal and technical standpoint.’
Mitra Nasional Pratama
Kwantas Corporation Berhad
Sandvik Mining & Construction Indonesia
Pusaka Agro Lestari
- Represented Mitra Nasional Pratama in a civil lawsuit against another Indonesian entity in an alleged breach of coal mining cooperation contract.
- Acted for IOL Indonesia in civil and criminal litigation related to a certification revocation.
- Advising Sandvik Mining & Construction Indonesia on a payment and debt restructuring dispute with an Indonesian entity.
- Advising Kwantas Corporation Berhad in relation to a land dispute in Kalimantan.
- Advising and representing a prominent palm oil company, PT Pusaka Agro Lestari, in a financial dispute with a contractor.