Aviation in Indonesia
ABNR Counsellors at Law advises on the financing, acquisition and leasing of aircraft and mainly acts on the lessor side. Emir Nurmansyah leads the team and is highly skilled in handling aircraft transactions. Also recommended is Theodoor Bakker, who is an expert in aircraft finance.
Other key lawyers:
- Acting as Indonesian counsel to BNP Paribas for its $100m loan to Ireland-based Wafu Aviation Designated Activity Company to partly refinance its acquisition of five aircraft manufactured by ATR.
- Acting as counsel to Air Lease Corporation as arranger for the formation of an asset-based securitisation (ABS) over two Garuda Indonesia-owned aircraft units (MSN 1288 and MSN 41319) that will be sold to a newly formed issuer.
- Acting as counsel to Castlelake on the Indonesian aspects of the formation of a new ABS over three Castlelake-owned Boeing 737-900ER aircraft units that are currently on lease to Lion Air.
- Acting as Indonesian counsel to Aero Capital Solutions for the purchase of two Boeing model 747-400 aircraft (MSN 25704 and MSN 25705).
- Assisting Vedder Price with collapsing the current lease structure for aircraft MSN 2692 by having the lessee (Garuda Indonesia) novate its rights and obligations under the lease agreement to the sublessee (Citilink), which will assume such rights and obligations under a new lease agreement.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners' skillset within this space concerns disputes involving ticketing, competition and consumer rights. Eri Hertiawan leads the practice and is an expert in both litigation and arbitration.
Indonesia Airasia Extra
- Represented AirAsia in a tort claim alleging violation of consumer protection regulations.
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners represents both local airlines and major aircraft lessors in aircraft leasing. Andre Rahadian leads the practice and regularly advises on regulatory issues and financing transactions. Hendra Ong is also a key figure and advises on transactions as well as on aircraft maintenance issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘A fantastic depth of knowledge and fast response times make the team invaluable advisers.’
Nordic Aviation Capital
Semuwa Aviasi Mandiri
- Advised Apple Bank on a loan facility to PT Smart Cakrawala Aviation for the purchase of an aircraft.
- Assisted with lease and purchase transactions concerning ten aircraft for Sriwijaya Air.
- Acted on aircraft sale and purchase transactions for Nordic Aviation Capital.
- Advised on a finance lease of a Cessna Caravan 208/C208 from Smart Cakrawala Aviation.
TNB & Partners has a strong track record in aircraft financing and acts for both lessors and financiers. Practice head Tasdikiah Siregar specialises in aviation finance and has represented multinational and local clients in this space.
‘The team go above and beyond their responsibility to provide good service and advice.’
Indonesia Air Asia
BBAM Singapore Pte. Ltd
China Aircraft Leasing Group Holdings Limited
- Acted as Indonesian counsel for Merx Aviation, a leading global aircraft leasing, management and finance company, in relation to a number of sales and purchases of aircraft.
Kurniawan Tanzil; Lina A. Amran
Mochtar Karuwin Komar
Aviation finance has long been a mainstay of Mochtar Karuwin Komar's practice and the team acts for credit agencies, owners and lessors. Enny Widhya leads the team and has extensive experience in aircraft financing.
Roosdiono & Partners
RedCargo Logistics Sdn Bhd
- Acting as lead counsel to RedCargo Logistics Sdn Bhd in the regional structuring of the group focused on cargo sales, cargo handling, freight forwarding, customs brokerage, warehousing, trucking, logistics and other aviation support-related businesses.