Aviation in Indonesia
Representing big names in this space such as Air Lease Corporation and Macuarie Rotorcroft Leasing, ABNR Counsellors at Law handles aircraft leasing, financing, and restructuring. Most mandates are handled by banking and finance expert Emir Nurmansayah, corporate foreign counsel Gustaaf Reerink and restructuring specialist Kevin Sidharta. The team recently advised Castlelake on the debt financing of 21 new Boeing 737-900 ER aircraft, which totalled to $2.4bn.
- Indonesian Counsel to Castlelake for the debt financing of 21 new Boeing 737-900 ER aircraft
- Indonesian counsel for a number of aircraft-based securitization (ABS) transactions
- Counsel to Macquarie Rotorcraft for the sale to Capstone Aviation of four helicopters
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners is the standout firm for aviation disputes, with a client roster consisting of three of the country’s six major airlines. Eri Hertiawan is an expert in both litigation and arbitration and has acted on disputes that typically falls under commercial agreements and consumer law. Recent instructions include acting for Garuda Indonesia in its lawsuit against a Rolls Royce subsidiary concerning the fraudulent behaviour of a former director.
PT Citilink Indonesia
PT Garuda Indonesia (Persero) Tbk
Pt Indonesia Airasia Extra
- Advised Citilink Indonesia on filing a lawsuit against PT Sriwijaya Air and PT NAM Air for their failure to comply and implement a joint cooperation agreement at the Central Jakarta District Court.
- Represented Garuda Indonesia in filing a lawsuit against Rolls Royce , requesting to cancel the Total Care Agreement and to pay damages due to the fraudulent nature of the agreement.
- Successfully defended AirAsia at the first instance and on an appeal to the Banten High Court in a tort claim alleging violation of the Indonesian consumer laws.
Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners operates under the leadership of Andre Rahadian who is Chairman of the Indonesian Air Law Society and is an expert in advising both aircraft lessors and airlines on the leasing and financing of aircraft. Hendra Ong is also at hand to assist with aircraft maintenance issues. With the exception of major Norweigian lessor Nordic Aviation Capital, most of the team’s clients come from the US and the team is particularly skilled in handling US-registered aircraft.
Textron Financial Corporation
EuroAtlantic Airways – Transportes Aéreos S.A.
Nordic Aviation Capital
- Assisted Textron Financial Corporation with the delivery of a Textron Aviation Inc. aircraft with N-registration (US registration).
- Assisted Apple Bank For Savings in the financing of two Textron Aviation Inc. Aircrafts for PT Smart Cakrawala Aviation
- Assisted NAC in leasing and subleasing transactions of various type of aircrafts.
TNB & Partners is led by Tasdikiah Siregar who has extensive experience in aircraft leasing and restructuring, as exemplified by her current role as head of the Airport Law Division of the Air Law Society of Indonesia. The firm’s international network also makes it well placed to handle cross-border transactions, with recent work covering Indonesia, Singapore, France, and Ireland. The team acts for major leasing companies such as BBAM Aviation Services and BOC Aviation, among others. The firm works in association with Norton Rose Fulbright.
BBAM Aviation Services Limited
BOC Aviation Limited
CDB Aviation Lease Finance DAC
GE Capital Aviation Services
Minsheng Commercial Aviation (Ireland)
Mochtar Karuwin Komar
Mochtar Karuwin Komar is the port of call for major aircraft lessors such as Avalon and Aergo capital, on its leasing of both Boeing and Airbus vehicles. Enny Widhya leads the team and has experience in handling the purchase, financing, foreclosure, and securitisation of aircraft.
‘Enny Purnomo Widhya is the doyen of aviation-related work in Indonesia. Very knowledgeable and generally very responsive.’
Backed by the ASEAN-wide Zico Law partnership, Roosdiono & Partners is highly skilled in the aircraft leasing and restructuring work, as well as assisting overseas airlines with establishing representative offices in Indonesia. The team is led by infrastructure and projects specialists Afriyan Rachmad and Fadjar Kandar.
China Aircraft Leasing Group Holdings Limited (CALC)
Airbus Financial Services Unlimited Company (“AFS”)
Engine Lease Finance Corporation
Scoot Tigerair Pte Ltd (Scoot)
- Advising China Aircraft Leasing Group in connection with the proposed subscription of new ordinary shares in Aviation Synergy Limited.
- Advising Airbus Financial Services as initial lender, regarding financing provided to Sienna Investment Pte.Ltd., involving PT Lion Mentari as beneficiary owner of the financing as well as guarantor in the transaction.
- Advising Scoot Tigerair on the establishment of its representative office in Indonesia, customs access and employment related matters.