Economic Laws Practice has a strong reputation for its expertise in international trade law and policy. The group showcases a broad service offering that not only covers trade remedial litigation (including anti-dumping and safeguard investigations) but also includes trade policy issues and disputes before the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and domestic courts. Matters involving customs, Free Trade Zones, export control regulation, and economic sanctions also populate the team's impressive workload. Of particular note on the litigation front, the practice is regularly retained by the Government of India to act in disputes against other WTO members. Managing partner Suhail Nathani jointly oversees the team with 'elite trade lawyer' Sanjay Notani, who has extensive experience in appellate litigation concerning trade remedial actions.
WTO/international trade in India
Economic Laws Practice
‘In our experience having cooperated with ELP on several trade remedy investigations initiated by the Indian government, Sanjay Notani and his team consistently produced work products delivered at a very high standard. It seems that they benefit from having a large team of experts not only in law but also in accounting and economics. As such, ELP is able to give excellent legal advice as well as practical know-how on the intricacy of India’s trade remedy regime. They are also highly responsive and good with client relations and handling.’
‘Sanjay Notani is not only an elite trade lawyer but also very commercial-minded with a keen understanding of business.’
‘ELP has unparalleled expertise in India with respect to trade remedies. Their knowledge of the law and of the precedents is exceptional.’
‘Sanjay Notani is an expert in trade law. His ability to find constructive solutions to client problems is exceptional. Ambarish Sathianathan is an expert on trade issues. He is thorough, responsive, and, last but not least, very pleasant to work with.’
Mitsui & Co. (Asia Pacific) Pte. Ltd.
Mitsui Phenols Singapore Pte. Ltd.
PTT Phenol Company Limited
Sumitomo Chemical Asia Pte Ltd
Government of India (GoI)
ICC Chemical Corporation
Oxy Vinyls, LP
Oxyde Chemicals Inc
Tianjin Dagu Chemical Co., Ltd.
Qatar Vinyl Co.
Hanwha Chemical Corporation
Tricon Dry Chemicals LLC
Technova Imaging Systems (P) Ltd.
PT. ENERGI SEJAHTERA MAS (PTESM)
SINARMAS CEPSA PTE LTD (SCPL)
- Represented Mitsui & Co (Asia Pacific), Mitsui Phenols Singapore, PTT Phenol Company and Sumitomo Chemical Asia before the Directorate General of Trade Remedies in a safeguard investigation in relation to imports of Phenol into India.
- Acted for the Government of India before the Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) of the World Trade Organisation (WTO) in a dispute filed against the United States concerning certain subsidies in the renewable energy sector.
- Represented the producers and exporters of PVC from the United States and an Importer in India (ICC Chemical Corporation; Oxy Vinyls; Oxy Vinyls Export Sales; Oxyde Chemicals; Oxyde Chemicals & Polymers India; Tricon Dry Chemicals; Tricon Energy UK; Tricon Overseas) in a Sunset Review Investigation (2nd) of anti-dumping duty on imports of PVC Suspension Grade Resin from China PR, Thailand And USA initiated at therequest of the domestic industry.
L&L Partners Law Offices is a go-to destination for complex cases involving WTO laws, evidenced by its impressive track record of representing the Government of India in landmark WTO disputes, including compliance and arbitration proceedings. On the trade remedies front, the firm is adept at acting for clients operating in the steel and manufacturing sectors in relation to anti-dumping matters. H.S. Chandhoke, who is a leading authority in the field of arbitration and trade litigation, heads the department with Saurabh Tiwari and Ashish Chandra. Tiwari is a seasoned practitioner across foreign trade policy issues, WTO agreements, and bilateral investment treaties, while Chandra focuses on WTO regulatory issues, dispute settlement, and trade remedial actions.
Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India
Directorate General of Trade Remedies, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India
Jindal Poly Films Limited
POSCO, Korea RP
Indian Paint Association
Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd, Japan
Automotive Tyre Manufacturers’ Association
Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy; Government of the Republic of Korea
EuroChem Trading GmBH
Kim Trung Huong Steel Co. Ltd, VietNam
- Represented the Government of India in WTO compliance panel proceedings and arbitration in relation to the import of poultry products into India.
- Advising and representing POSCO, Korea RP and POSCO, VST, Vietnam before the Directorate General of Trade remedies in an anti-dumping investigation concerning imports of Flat Rolled Products of Stainless-Steel from China PR, Korea RP, European Union, Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, USA, Thailand, South Africa, UAE, Hongkong, Singapore, Mexico, Vietnam and Malaysia.
- Advising and representing Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd. before the Directorate General of Trade remedies in safeguard investigation concerning imports of Single Mode Optical Fibre into India.
Apart from offering legal support to clients in safeguard duty impositions and anti-dumping investigations, the international trade team at Advaita Legal further brings a wealth of experience in matters pertaining to transfer pricing, customs, and foreign trade policy. The practice has carved out a niche acting for clients operating in the solar power sector. Sudipta Bhattacharjee is a counsel of choice for indirect tax issues.
Other key lawyers:
Dua Associates brings together experienced trade lawyers, former government officials, and cost accountants to provide seamless legal services to foreign and domestic clients in the fields of international trade and customs law. The team is well equipped to act in international trade remedial litigation, covering safeguard, countervailing and anti-dumping duty matters, while also having the capability to assist with WTO agreements and negotiations. Practice head Shiraz Patodia excels in anti-dumping disputes. Trade law expert and litigation Ashish Singh and senior associate Mayank Singhal are other names to note in the department.
Sadara Chemical Company, Saudi Arabia
The Dow Chemical Company Group
Kodak Group of Companies
Zhejiang Jiuli Hi-Tech Metals Co. Ltd
Inner Mongolia 3F Wanhao Fluorochemicals Co. Ltd.
Royal Thailand Government
Alpha Industries SDN BHD
Changle Highsun Synthetic Fiber Technologies Co. Ltd.
Liheng (Changle) Polyamide Technology Co., Ltd
Kruger Inc., Canada
- Represented Kodak Group Companies in an anti-dumping investigation concerning import of Digital plates from China PR and obtained a Nil rate of duty for the Group.
- Currently representing the Sadara Chemical Company and various entities under the Dow Chemical Company group in two anti-dumping investigations relating to import of flexible polyol slabstock’ and ‘Toluene Di-Isocyanate’ into India.
- Successfully represented Jiuli in obtaining an individual rate of duty on import of Welded Stainless Steel Pipes and Tubes into India.
Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan fields a dedicated international trade and WTO law department, which provides support to domestic clients, foreign manufacturers, and exporters in relation to anti-dumping duties. The team is renowned for its in-depth expertise in WTO consultancy, as well as its wealth of experience in WTO disputes and trade remedy investigations. Team leader R Parthasarathy is a solid performer in trade litigation; Dhruv Gupta receives regular instructions from governmental entities and private clients on WTO matters and is well versed across a multitude of sectors, including steel, technology, and petrochemicals.
JSW Steel Coated Products Ltd.
Government of India
M/s. Shandong Guangyao Super-Thin Glass Co. Ltd
- Represented JSW Steel Coated Products Limited in an anti-dumping investigation against imports of “Flat rolled products of steel, plated or coated with alloy of Aluminium and Zinc” from China, Korea and Vietnam.
- Acted for Ajanta LLP in the review of anti-dumping duty against imports of “Electronic Calculators” from China.
- Represented the Government of India against the United States in WTO dispute (Article 21.5- compliance proceedings) before WTO DSB in Geneva.
The international trade, customs, and WTO team at Sarvada Legal is frequently instructed by governments and governmental agencies which seek advice on issues pertaining to trade policy and negotiations. The firm, which is representing the Government of India in a number of WTO proceedings, has wide-ranging expertise in sectors as diverse as the chemicals, ICT hardware, software, solar power, and steel industries. With an unparalleled track record in trade remedy measures and anti-dumping cases, S Seetharaman leads the practice with Atul Sharma, who specialises in customs, regulatory issues, and WTO litigation.
Government of India
Automotive Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (ATMA)
Vinythai (AGC Group)
- Assisting the Government of India in three WTO Disputes filed by the European Union, Japan and Taiwan concerning imposition of customs duty on ICT products by India.
- Assisted the Government of India as the only private lawyer in the last 4 rounds of RCEP negotiation.
- Assisted the Ministry of Steel in defending India’s interest in safeguard investigation initiated by Canada, as well as JSW Steel in the safeguard investigation initiated by the EU concerning steel products exported from India.
International Trade Law Consultants is adept at advising on non-contentious and litigious matters. Foreign investment, customs, anti-dumping issues, import, and export law, as well as injunctions, are all at the core of the practice.
Angelique International Ltd.
Om Telecom Logistics Private Limited
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
Indian Compressors Ltd.
Alphabet Designs Pty. Ltd.
Shree Shyam Pipe Ltd.
Pearl Engineering Company
Patil Rail Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd.
Terra Infra Development Limited
Ambica Steels Limited
Anupam Retail Limited
R & A Infracon Private Limited
Tracks and Towers Infratech Private Ltd.
JK Lakshmi Cement Ltd.
Pelican Tobacco Private Ltd.
Best Textiles Ltd.
Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative Limited
- Acting for ASM CHEMICAL INDUSTRIES LTD.; TASNIM CHEMICAL COMPLEX LIMITED; SAMUDA CHEMICAL COMPLEX LTD. in an anti-dumping investigation concerning Hydrogen Peroxide.
TPM Solicitors & Consultants
International trade and WTO law are mainstays of the practice at TPM Solicitors & Consultants, which showcases a strong track record in trade remedial investigations acting on behalf of importers and exporters. Other areas of activity for the team include customs and foreign trade policy, as well as indirect tax issues and non-tariff barriers. Trade remedies is a notable area of practice for Namrita Raghuwanshi, while Divya Nair focuses on litigation and WTO agreements.