Chennai, the capital state of Tamil Nadu, is often called the gateway to the southern part of India. The city benefits from good infrastructure, including three seaports, an international airport, well-established rail and road connectivity and major submarine telecommunication cable networks that have paved the way for its rapid growth. It is a key manufacturing/industrial city in India, hosting globally renowned automobile and electronics manufacturers, including Ford, Caterpillar, Siemens, GE, Samsung, and ABB. The city has also become one of the preferred destinations for big IT companies, such as IBM, Infosys and Cognizant. The city is also attracting startup enterprises. More recently, the area has become home to new projects, especially in the retail and manufacturing sectors. Although the office leasing market has slowed, investment in property of all types continues at a pace.In this region, nationally ranked, full service firms including Anand and Anand, Fox Mandal & Associates, Khaitan & Co LLP, Kochhar & Co., Phoenix Legal, Samvad Partners and Tatva Legal are well established and handle work for national and international clients as well as more local companies, especially in areas such as corporate M&A, dispute resolution, banking and finance and IP. However, the number of smaller and boutique firms has grown considerably, offering an alternative to the larger firms.
Leading firms in India
Initially set up as a boutique corporate, commercial, tax and dispute resolution law firm, Calibre Legal has expanded its practice areas to cover real estate, intellectual property and employment law. The team is led by the duo of Mohammed Shadaan Saipillai, who has more than two decades of experience in corporate, commercial and dispute resolution, and Arun Kurian Joseph, who specialises in real estate and is a renowned direct and indirect tax law specialist.
Mohammed Shadaan Saipillai; Arun Kurian Joseph
Government of Western Australia
Intersea Maritime Limited
The Chennai Angels, Native Angel
Network (NAN) and Keiretsu
Crescent Innovation & Incubation Council
BS Abdur Rahman Crescent Institute of Science & Technology
Diginfluenz Private Limited
The Administrator for Powerwave Technology Sweden AB
Firstinsight Technologies India Pvt Ltd
GP Strategies India Private Limited
Thermo Housewares Private Limited
GSE Filter Private Limited
- Advised Government of Western Australia on setting up a liaison office in Chennai.
- Advised Intersea Maritime Limited on sale of 34% of its equity to a Dubai based investor for an investment amount of ₹ 35 crore.
- Advised The Chennai Angels on its investment in Shriven Agritechs Pvt Ltd .
Surana & Surana International Attorneys
Surana & Surana International Attorneys is a highly qualified team of sector-specific, inter-disciplinary professionals, including lawyers, trade mark attorneys and chartered accountants. The team has been established for more than five decades and has a strong focus on dispute resolution, intellectual property, corporate/M&A and real estate matters. Kalyan Jhabakh G heads the dispute resolution practice and has conducted landmark litigations before courts of all levels. Sanjay Mehta leads the corporate and M&A team and specialises in drafting joint venture agreements, due diligence on takeovers and mergers, and incorporation of legal entities. N. Surya Senthil and Lakshmidevi Somanath jointly head the intellectual property team.
Kalyan Jhabakh; Sanjay Mehta; Surya Senthil; Lakshmidevi Somanath
‘The team is cooperative and studies the technical documents well before initiating the drafting, and the quality of the drafts is excellent.’
Hatsun Agro Product Limited
Toyota Kirloskar Motor Limited
Isuzu Motors India Pvt. Limited
Hyundai Motor India Limited
Mahindra & Mahindra Limited
Grobest Feeds Corporation India Private Limited
Wittur Elevator Components India Pvt. Limited
Kaleesuwari Refinery Private Limited
Hatsun Agro Products Limited
Bank of Baroda
Cheyyar SEZ Developers Private Limited
Same Deutz- Fahr India Limited
Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science
Amrutanjan Health Care Limited
Universal Sompo General Insurance Company Limited
State Bank of India
Trimble Information Technology India Private Limited
Ammega Belting India Private Limited (Earlier Helicord Transmission)
Bharath Heavy Electricals
Kalpataru Power Transmission Limited
Aditya Birla Capital
Colgate Palmolive India
Renault Nissan Technology & Business Centre India Pvt., Ltd
Su-N Energy Technology Ltd
Century Plyboards (I) Ltd
Nirmal Bang Securities Pvt Ltd
Cargo International (India) Private Ltd
Glovis India Pvt Ltd
HIOX Softwares Private Limited
Akras Flavours India Private Limited
China Academy of Telecommunications Technology
Taiyo Pet Products Pvt Ltd
- Assisted Hyundai Motors India Limited with an arbitration appeal filed against the client by one of its Dealers, Austin Distributors Private Limited, whose dealership was terminated due to breach of the contract.
- Advised NextGen Technology Fund on its target corpus of $100M.
- Assisted China Academy of Telecommunications Technology with securing multiple patent grants after successful prosecution to overcome 3(k) objection for communication equipment during January to June 2021.
Altacit Global assists clients with their M&A, real estate, regulatory compliance, and litigation requirements. Filma Varghese and Geethanjali focus on intellectual property law and advise various leading corporates in India and abroad. Pradeep Bhapatiraju heads the patent department and has rich experience in the entire patent lifecycle from conducting patent searches to patent drafting and litigation. Dharshika Ravi is another key contact.
Filma Varghese; Pradeep Bhapatiraju
Other key lawyers:
Geethanjali; Dharshika Ravi
AG&P City Gas Private Limited
Bunge India Private Limited
MatexNet Private Limited
Kuwy Technology Service Private Limited
OrangeScape Technologies Private Limited
Proklean Technologies Private Limited
Rage Communications Private Limited
Aardae Private Limited
- Advised AG&P on the acquisition of various parcels of land in South India, in order for AG&P to develop its CGD infrastructure.
- Assisted craftsman in drafting their IP policy and setting up their processes for protecting their intellectual assets.
Eshwars | House of Corporate & IPR Laws offers a comprehensive range of corporate expertise to enterprises of all sizes on a wide range of matters, including real estate laws, dispute resolution, corporate governance, and intellectual property rights. Saisunder N.V is one of the most sought-after attorneys in the areas of intellectual property rights and media and technology law. He jointly heads the team with the managing partner Eshwar Sabapathy, capital markets and foreign investment expert Adit N Bhuva, IP specialist Srividya Sundaresan, and Sri Vidhya Kumar, who regularly provides M&A advisory assistance.
Eshwar Sabapathy; Saisunder N.V; Adit N Bhuva; Sri Vidhya Kumar; Srividya Sundaresan
Flinto Learning Solutions Private Limited
India Nippon Electricals Limited
Chennai Radha Engineering Private Limited
Pygmalion Renaissance Private Limited
Banyan Tree Advisors Private Limited
Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Limited
Orange Retail Finance India Private Limited
Finonyx Software Solutions Private Limited
Neeyamo Enterprise Solutions Private Limited
Lyca Productions Private Limited
Sonata Software Limited
Jenson & Nicholson Paints Private Limited
Jagdale Industries Private Limited
- Assisted India Lyca Productions Private Limited with the drafting of film production contracts, media rights licensing and litigation support.
- Strategic brand protection advisory services for various businesses and products lines of Mindtree Limited. The client is one of the notable business house in the IT & ITeS space which is part of the Larsen & Toubro group.
Ganesan and Manuraj Legal LLP is best known for dealing with a wide range of complex and high-value litigation cases, international commercial arbitration, cross-border disputes involving bankruptcy, as well as high stake criminal and civil matters. It also undertakes a significant number of pro-bono cases related to human rights issues. The team is led by Muthupandi Ganesan, who is a dual qualified practising barrister in England and an advocate in India. Manuraj Shunmugasundaram has significant experience in handling civil and criminal cases, specifically ones involving medical negligence. Vadhana Bhaskar, Sachin. S, and Anisha Gupta are other key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Manuraj Shunmugasundaram; Vadhana Bhaskar; Sachin. S; Anisha Gupta
S. Sushma & U. Seema Agarval
M. Kavin Thamizh
- Represented S. Sushma & U. Seema Agarval in case of protection to 2 young females who are in a same sex relationship against respective family members who opposed their relationship before the Madras High Court.
- Represented M.K. Stalin & 17 Members of the Legislative Assembly in an enquiry called upon by the Privileges Committee of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly against them.
- Represented S. Bharathi in a case registered for allegedly disrespecting a retired Judge of the Supreme Court of India.
Law Office of Navarre Roy
Law Office of Navarre Roy is a full-service firm with a keen focus on intellectual property and media and entertainment laws. The firm is also becoming more active in the private equity space. Founder Navarre Ebenezer Roy works closely with startups through their entire lifecycle of fundraising and commercial interests. Associate Raghul Selvanathan focuses on commercial dispute resolution, while associate Hepitha Priscilla handles the firm’s trademark practice and assists Indian and international clients with the protection and enforcement of trademarks.
Navarre Ebenezer Roy
Other key lawyers:
Raghul Selvanathan; Hepitha Priscilla
Tirumala Milk Products Private Limited
Pixstone Images Private Limited
Raptee Energy Private Limited
Healthcare Technology Innovation Centre
Trendloud Digital India Private Limited
K (Music Director)
Social Beat Digital Marketing LLP
Edumind Learning Solutions Private Limited
Pepul Tech Private Limited
- Advised Edumind Learning Solutions Private Limited on the audit, and acquisition of the entire intellectual property portfolio of the edtech company Vishwa Edusolutions Private Limited.
- Advised Pepul Tech Private Limited on two rounds of fund raising ($1.5M and $3.8M).
- Advised Satya Movies on the protection, enforcement and commercialization of its intellectual property through different streams, including streaming of content, protection of their costumes, character personas.