Lex Law Offices‘ standout client roster includes domestic and international brands including Coca-Cola European Partners Ísland and Vodafone Iceland, and handles a broad spectrum of IP mandates, from registration of trade marks and designs to patent protection issues, opposition procedures and infringement cases. In the field of IT, the team advises software companies, financial institutions and telecoms companies on data protection compliance and cybersecurity issues. Erla S Arnadottir, who is an expert in advising on copyright matters, jointly leads the practice group alongside technology specialist Lara Herborg Olafsdottir, following the departure of Hulda Árnadóttir in early 2021. Recently promoted senior associate Maria Kristjansdottir is another key member of the team.
TMT and IP in Iceland
Erla Árnadóttir; Lára Herborg Ólafsdóttir
Other key lawyers:
‘The TMT and IP has been working for our company since 2000 and during this time, at all stages of our cooperation, has provided excellent legal service in the area of TMT and IP, and others. Through our cooperation, mainly with Erla Árnadóttir, our company has been able to achieve quite positive results in TMT and IP, today supporting core values and intangible assets of the company.’
‘Erla Árnadóttir has extensive knowledge of TMT and IP, smooth and efficient communication and profound case preparation and court performance.’
Coca-Cola European Partners Ísland ehf.
Guide to Iceland ehf.
Oliuverzlun Islands hf.
Kvika Bank ehf.
Sýn hf. (Vodafone Iceland)
Reykjavik Energy (Orkuveita Reykjavíkur)
Kara Connect ehf.
- Represented an Icelandic film production company in a case before the district court claiming a 50% share in revenues deriving from an exploitation of a documentary on the eruption in Eyjafjallajökull in 2010.
- Served as Guide to Iceland’s legal counsel regarding two online copyright infringement cases.
- Represented Oliuverzlun Islands ehf. in a trade mark dispute matter against the clothing manufacturer Sjóklæðagerðin ehf.
LOGOS has a track record in handling trade mark and copyright disputes before the Icelandic Supreme Court and continues to expand its patent litigation practice, in addition to representing clients in a range of IP cases before the domestic courts. On the non-contentious side, the team advises its impressive roster of domestic and international clients on data protection matters, including cross-border data transfer agreements. Copyright specialist Hjordis Halldorsdottir leads the practice and is supported by Aslaug Bjorgvinsdottir, who is noted for her expertise in data protection and e-commerce mandates. Arni Vilhjalmsson focuses on patent work and is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Áslaug Björgvinsdóttir; Árni Vilhjálmsson
Verne Holdings ehf.
The Icelandic Broadcasting Service, Ríkisútvarpið
Arion banki hf.
Þjóðleikhúsið (The National Theatre of Iceland)
- Representing Síminn hf. in a high-value court case regarding the distribution of several Nordic television stations.
- Advised Origo hf. in relation to the acquisition of shares in a software company, including with respect to intellectual property rights.
- Acting as data protection officer for CCP and advising the company on all data related matters.
Sigurjónsson & Thor ehf.
Sigurjónsson & Thor ehf. specialises in IP and unfair competition mandates and counts foreign companies including Hyundai, PepsiCo and FIFA on its stellar list of clients. The ‘experienced and knowledgeable’ team provides IP protection services and has demonstrable experience in representing clients before the Patent Office, the Board of Appeal, and the Icelandic courts, as well as handling trade mark matters, copyright issues and enforcement cases. Valborg Kjartansdóttir jointly leads the practice alongside Supreme Court attorney Magnús Hrafn Magnússon, who assists foreign trade mark owners with registration and infringement cases. Patent specialist Magnús Haukur Magnússon is another key contact in the team.
Valborg Kjartansdóttir; Magnús Hrafn Magnússon
Other key lawyers:
Magnús Haukur Magnússon
‘They are very experienced and knowledgeable. The best thing about them is that they can either do either litigation work or prosecution, and they are equally reliable on both.’
‘My main contacts are Valborg Kjartansdóttir and Magnús Hrafn Magnússon. They are responsive and very good from a legal point of view.’
‘A great team to work with. All our trade mark requests are handled quickly and with a hands-on approach. Trade mark clearance and filing topics are mostly the topics we had contact together. An easy to go law firm, absolutely recommendable.’
‘Practical, result-oriented advice and no frills.’
Home Box Office (HBO)
Hyundai Motor Company
Visa USA Inc.
Playboy Enterprises Inc.
- Assisted Orkla Foods Norway, which received an ex officio rejection from the ISIPO to an international registration designating Iceland for the trade mark RETT I KOPPEN for ready made food related goods in class 29 and 30.
- Assisted Sazerac Brands, which received an ex officio relative grounds refusal to an international registration designating Iceland for FIREBALL for alcohol beverages.
Réttur – Adalsteinsson & Partners is noted for its IP and trade mark practice, where the team acts for long-standing clients, including Iceland’s Writers’ Union and the Association of Film Directors, on a range of matters pertaining to copyright and distribution of rights issues. Entertainment law and copyright expert Sigríður Rut Júlíusdóttir heads up the practice group with the support of Sigrún Ingibjörg Gísladóttir, who handles freedom of speech cases arising out of the media sector. The team has also expanded its expertise into the field of fintech, and recently advised Monerium on blockchain, distributed ledger and smart contract matters.
Sigríður Rut Júlísdóttir; Sigrún Ingibjörg Gísladóttir
Iceland Symphony Orchestra
The Writers’ Union of Iceland
Icelandic Water Holdings hf
Reykjavik City Theatre
Film Directors Guild of Iceland
Indo services ehf.
The Association of Non-Fiction and Educational Writers in Iceland
- Acting as legal counsel to the Iceland Symphony Orchestra, including in relation to rights’ payments.
- Acting as legal counsel to the Writers’ Union of Iceland, most recently assisting with legal developments in relation to collective management of copyright and distribution of rights’ payments.
- Acting for the Film Directors Guild of Iceland in successful negotiations of increased shares of distribution rights having taken place.
ADVEL Attorneys at Law’s workload includes handling the registration of trade marks and domains, in addition to license agreements, often involving a cross-border element, and IP protection matters. The TMT and IP team acts for technology and development companies, including the Advania Group and Hampidjan, as well as food and beverage sector clients. Stefan Thor Ingimarsson leads the practice, while Kristinn Hallgrímsson departed in mid-2021 to Arta.
Stefán Þór Ingimarsson
BBA//Fjeldco acts for Icelandic companies, as well as foreign owners of IP rights, on trade mark registration and prosecution matters, often involving a cross-border element; the group has also expanded its expertise into the fields of virtual reality, fintech and cloud computing. Practice leader Haflidi Lárusson focuses on technology and data protection matters, and advised Valka on the preparation of its contractual documents in relation to the sale of its patent-protected goods, services and software.
Reiknistofa bankanna hf.
Juris acts for key providers in the telecoms and media sectors, including Síminn and national broadcasting service RÚV; it is currently representing the latter in disputes concerning freedom of expression issues and privacy rights. The team also handles GDPR compliance matters, including drafting procedures and assisting with the implementation of projects. Andri Árnason, who has represented Síminn and its subsidiaries for over 20 years, leads the practice alongside litigator Stefán A Svensson.
‘Very strong team with exceptional skills.’
‘Stefán A. Svensson stands out. He is very professional and delivers outstanding legal products. He has got good communication skills and is very reliable. He is knowledgeable of TMT and IP practices.’
- Represented Síminn in two cases that were previously before the Post and Telecommunications Authority and the Competition Appeals Commission.
- Representing RÚV in two cases that raise issues regarding press freedom under both Icelandic law and Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, as well as issues of media law regarding personal data privacy.