Erla Árnadóttir leads the team at Lex Law Offices and handles copyright. The practice acts for clients in the telecoms, social media, finance and energy sectors including Vodafone, Facebook and ON Power, and assists with GDPR, trade mark, patent and design matters. Operating at a domestic and international level, the group also handles infringement cases, advises on negotiations with distributors and drafts co-existence agreements. Technology expert Lára Herborg Ólafsdóttir made partner in early 2020, and associate María Kristjánsdóttir is also a key name to note.
TMT and IP in Iceland
Other key lawyers:
Lára Herborg Ólafsdóttir; María Kristjánsdóttir
‘I have experience of working with Lára Herborg, partner at Lex. We were very happy with her work and I strongly recommend her, I doubt that there are many firms in Iceland with counsel with such deep knowledge in the field of IP and Tech Law as Lára Herborg and her team. Her insight was not only in the field of law but also has a touch of knowledge in the field of tech, which is crucial in order to deliver useful and insightful advice.’
‘Erla Árnadóttir is very dedicated in her work and highly professional.’
Reykjavik Energy (Orkuveita Reykjavikur)
MS Iceland Dairies (Mjólkursamsalan ehf.)
The Consortium of Icelandic Libraries (Landskerfi bókasafna)
Coca-Cola European Partners Iceland
Iceland Oil Ltd. (Olíuverzlun Íslands hf.)
Reykjavik Fibre Network
Vodafone Iceland (Sýn hf.)
Kvika Bank hf.
Kara Connect ehf.
Guide to Iceland ehf.
Promote Iceland (Íslandsstofa)
- Successfully represented Reykjavik Fibre Network in a trade mark dispute before the Icelandic Intellectual Property Office against Síminn hf.
- Conducted due diligence work on a telecoms company in Iceland for Facebook Inc. with regards to respective licenses and authorisation to operate a network and provide internet access services to end users.
- Successfully represented Swatch AG in its proceedings against Apple Inc. regarding Swatch’s trade mark TICK DIFFERENT.
LOGOS legal services
IT expert Hjördís Halldórsdóttir leads the TMT and IP team at LOGOS legal services, which handles trade mark and patent litigation, and also has significant experience in data protection matters. Representing major clients in the entertainment field, the group also assists with copyright issues, counterfeiting disputes and franchising agreements. In a recent highlight, the group represented Síminn in a case filed by IHM claiming that a distribution package exceeded its original terms. Áslaug Björgvinsdóttir is a key contact for European IP legislation.
Other key lawyers:
Áslaug Björgvinsdóttir; Steinlaug Högnadóttir
‘My experience is that the team’s knowledge is outstanding in regards to GDPR law. They work efficiently and are professional all the way. Their solutions have been highly regarded by others.’
‘I have been in contact with Áslaug Björgvinsdóttir and her associate Steinlaug Högnadóttir. All their work has been flawless, quick and professional.’
Verne Holdings ehf.
The Icelandic Broadcasting Service, Ríkisútvarpið
Arion banki hf.
- Acting for Síminn hf. in a court case filed by IHM, which represents all the major Scandinavian state-owned television stations, claiming that the distribution of DR1, SVT1 and NRK1 has been well beyond what Síminn hf. has paid for.
- Represented Siminn hf. in its dispute with Sýn concerning the non-linear distribution of the television broadcast of the television station Skjárinn (now Sjónvarp Símans), owned by Síminn hf.
- Represented Emmessís ehf. in its trade mark dispute against another ice cream manufacturer.
At Sigurjónsson & Thor ehf., Valborg Kjartansdóttir leads the team, which demonstrates 'superior knowledge, dedication and great people skills.’ Dedicated to IP and unfair competition work, the firm provides IP protection services including representing clients before the Patent Office, the Board of Appeal and the national courts. The group acts for a number of foreign clients, and regularly works on copyright enforcement issues and defends clients against breaches of trade mark rights. Supreme Court attorney and patent expert Magnús Haukur Magnússon and Magnús Hrafn Magnússon are also key names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Magnús Haukur Magnússon; Magnús Hrafn Magnússon
‘Very strong litigation services. Fast and efficient.’
‘Very quick to respond, excellent business sense.’
‘Superior knowledge, dedication and great people skills.’
Home Box Office
Visa USA, INC
Hyundai Motor Co.
- The Elon Group filed trade mark applications for ELON in Iceland in several different stylized forms for a wide range of electrical goods and services. The applications were subject to ex officio refusals due to prior registrations in Iceland for ELAN (design) registered for partly similar services. Various arguments were filed resulting in the reversal of the refusal by the ISIPO.
- Advised Banana Republic on filing an application for registration of an important logo in Iceland, which initially refused but subsequently reversed.
At ADVEL Attorneys at Law, the team is led by Stefán Þór Ingimarsson and advises on the negotiation of license agreements and the protection of IP rights; the group is also well-versed in handling both domestic and cross-border work. In particular, it assists clients from the retail, entertainment and biotech sectors with trade marks, copyrights and patents. Kristinn Hallgrímsson is also singled out.
Stefán Þór Ingimarsson
Other key lawyers:
The TMT and IP practice at Réttur – Adalsteinsson & Partners is recognised for its work for the Iceland's Writers’ Union as well as the Association of Film Directors. The group also handles trade mark, copyright and patent matters for the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra and recently facilitated key negotiations with the Composer’s Rights Society; it also represents a number of fintech clients and is particularly active in blockchain, distributed ledger and smart contract mandates. Sigríður Rut Júlíusdóttir and Sigrún Ingibjörg Gísladóttir jointly lead the practice, and specialise in entertainment law and freedom of speech litigation respectively.
Sigríður Rut Júlísdóttir; Sigrún Ingibjörg Gísladóttir
Icelandic Symphony Orchestra
Icelandic Writer’s Association
Icelandic Water Holdings hf
Reykjavik City Theatre
Association of Film Directors
Indo services ehf.
- Acting for the Icelandic Symphony Orchestra including in relation to right’s payments and negotiations.
- Assisting the Icelandic Writer’s Association with legal developments in relation to the collective management of copyrights and distribution of rights’ payments.
- Advising the Icelandic Association of Film Directors on legal developments in relation to the collective management of copyrights and distribution of rights’ payments.
Andri Árnason and Stefán A. Svensson head up the practice at Juris, which advises start-ups and market leaders in the telecoms, media and newsprint sectors. In particular, the group recently acted for national broadcaster RÚV in various cases pertaining to journalistic liberty and the parameters of freedom of expression under both Icelandic law as well as Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights. The team also specialises in GDPR compliance work covering the drafting of relevant procedures as well as implementation projects.
Andri Árnason; Stefán A. Svensson
Vísar rannsóknir ehf.
Five Degrees Software
- Advising on Síminn’s objection to the competition exemption granted to allow co-operation between certain other telecoms operators in relation to mobile phone networks.
- Acting for RÚV both as general counsel and in relation to cases that relate to journalistic freedom of expression.
- Acting as general counsel for Megafone ehf.