Maritime and transport in Iceland
Lex Law Offices' practice frequently acts for shipping companies and insurers in contentious cases concerning damaged cargo, while on the non-contentious side, the team advises clients on major commercial agreements and complex regulatory matters. Practice head Lilja Jónasdóttir specialises in insurance and tort law in the shipping and maritime industry; she handles all contentious work for Samskip, one of Iceland's largest shipping companies, and Landflutningar Samskipa, the largest domestic road transport company in Iceland.
Landflutningar Samskipa hf.
Jonar Transport ehf.
- Advising Bergur-Huginn, ÚA, Skinney-Þinganes and Gjögur on their shipbuilding agreements with Vard Group.
- Representing Samskip in legal proceedings before the District Court of Reykjavík in a case brought by the insurance company Vátryggingafélag Íslands regarding a recovery claim for cargo damage.
- Representing Jonar Transport in a recovery claim brought by Vátryggingafélag Íslands relating to cargo damage.
LOGOS advises major clients in the shipping, aviation and transport sectors on a range of contentious and non-contentious mandates including acting in salvage claims and loss of cargo claims, and handling financing, acquisition and leasing transactions in the aviation sector. The group also has expertise in service agreements and assists with shipbuilding contracts and carriage contracts. Einar Baldvin Axelsson is the firm's leading shipping expert, while Erlendur Gíslason is the name to note for aviation work.
Einar Baldvin Axelsson; Erlendur Gíslason
Eimskip Island ehf.
Vatryggingafelag Islands hf.
The Icelandic Coast Guard
The Shipowners P&I club
The Standard Club
Atlantic Tank Storage ehf.
Air Iceland Connect
- Representing Eimskip before the Icelandic Courts in disputes regarding damage to new cars.
- Representing the Icelandic Coast Guard in a claim for a salvage award against the owners of the Fjordvik vessel.
- Successfully represented VÍS in a court case against Jónar Transport for loss of cargo during carriage from the US to Iceland.
With particular expertise in the fishing and shipping sectors, the maritime and transport group at Juris advises domestic companies on financings, acquisitions and commercial agreements, and acts in competition law disputes and fishing quota litigation. The practice also demonstrates additional expertise in international trade litigation, particularly relating to import bans imposed as a result of its disagreement with Greenland, Norway, the Faroe Islands and the European Union. Team co-head Finnur Magnússon stands out for his expertise in the fishing sector, in which he advises major Icelandic companies including Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja with fellow co-head Sigurbjörn Magnússon.
Sigurbjörn Magnússon; Finnur Magnússon
Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja hf.
Úthafsskip ehf./UTS Management
Eimskip Ísland hf.
- Provides all general legal counsel to Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja, one of Iceland’s largest fishing corporations.
- Represented Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja in a successful claim against the Icelandic government relating to the distribution of mackerel quotas.
- Representing Eimskip in a competition challenge brought by Samskip.