Lex Law Offices handles the full spectrum of non-contentious maritime and transport law mandates, from contracts of carriage and sale and purchase agreements to registration issues and hull insurance matters. Noted for its impressive workload in high-end disputes and demonstrable experience before the district courts and Supreme Court, the team acts for one of Iceland’s largest shipping companies, Samskip hf., on an ongoing basis in matters pertaining to charter parties, personal injury allegations and cargo claims. Lilja Jónasdóttir leads the practice, which includes Eyvindur Sólnes, who has experience in the sale and purchase of fishing vessels, and Birgir Már Björnsson.
Maritime and transport in Iceland
Other key lawyers:
Eyvindur Sólnes; Birgir Már Björnsson
‘Exceptional knowledge of the acquisition of vessels.’
‘In my opinion Lex is the best law firm in Iceland especially for maritime claims handling.’
Jonar Transport ehf.
- Representing Samherji hf. in the investigation by the Icelandic and Namibian authorities into the company‘s subsidiaries in Namibia and their activities there.
- Assisting Síldarvinnslan hf. regarding the shipbuilding of a new Ice Trawler, built by Karstensen in Skagen, Denmark.
- Representing Samskip in collecting damages from port authorities in Sweden, related to an injury suffered by an employee during docking in Sweden.
LOGOS’ shipping and transport practice advises key clients, including Eimskipafelag Islands and its subsidiaries Eimskip Island, TVG-Zimsen and Gara, on the full scope of contentious and non-contentious matters spanning contracts of carriage, personal injury matters, salvage issues, cargo claims, shipbuilding contracts and charter party contracts. Practice co-head Einar Baldvin Axelsson specialises in maritime and transport law, while ‘hands-on partner’ Erlendur Gíslason oversees the firm’s ‘highly experienced aviation team’. In this space, the group advises local airlines, aircraft owners, lessors and banks on aircraft acquisitions, leasings and financing matters.
Einar Baldvin Axelsson; Erlendur Gíslason
Other key lawyers:
‘Professional, good skills and knowledgeable.’
‘Erlendur Gíslason is a hands-on partner with commercial savvy and excellent levels of response and reactiveness.’
‘Highly experienced aviation team, responsive and expert knowledge of local law.’
‘Einar Baldvin has proven to be extremely important to our company. He is well read, experienced and works with honesty and professionalism to the very end. We are very satisfied with his and his firm’s work. He has achieved very good and important results for our company.’
‘LOGOS has been outstanding in servicing our company well. They are quick in replies and always solve matters with professionalism and with good results.’
Eimskip Island ehf. (EIMSKIP)
Vatryggingafelag Islands hf.
The Icelandic Coast Guard
The Shipowners P&I club
The Standard Club
Atlantic Tank Storage ehf.
Atlantic Seafood ehf.
- Advised and represented Eimskip in successful negotiations with insurers of Toyota and Nissan regarding substantial claims for damages to new cars stored at Eimskip’s Terminal.
- Defended TVG-Zimsen ehf. in the District Court of Reykjavík on a $675k breach of contract matter and obtained a verdict of no liability and no damages on a claim for alleged delivery of cargo without production of a Bill of Lading.
- Advised Icelandair Group in relation to the financial restructuring of the company, and its subsidiaries, in response to the dramatic impact of the Covid-19 global pandemic on the aviation industry.
Noted for its expertise in the fishing sector, Juris handles a broad range of maritime and transport matters, as demonstrated by its advice to Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja on the construction, sale and purchase of ships for its fleets, as well as day-to-day operations, financings, regulatory work and quota issues. Other key clients include shipping company Eimskip and leading producer of fish oils Lýsi. Finnur Magnússon jointly leads the group alongside Sigurbjörn Magnússon.
Sigurbjörn Magnússon; Finnur Magnússon
Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja hf.
Eimskip Ísland hf.
- Advised Eimskip in relation to an exemption it obtained from the Icelandic Competition Committee in Spring 2019 in respect of a share vessel agreement between Eimskip and Royal Arctic Line and subsequent related competition issues.
- Representing Huginn ehf. in a claim against the Icelandic government relating to the distribution of mackerel quotas.
- Providing general legal counsel to Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja hf., one of Iceland’s largest fishing corporations.