Maritime and transport in Iceland
Specialising in maritime and transport law, the team at Lex Law Offices assists clients with issues affecting the shipping and transportation of goods. In particular, the group's expertise covers carriage contracts, stevedore agreements, salvage issues and hull insurance work; the practice also has a strong track record in disputes and has represented parties before both the district courts and the Supreme Court. Lilja Jónasdóttir leads the department, which also fields Eyvindur Sólnes and newly promoted partner Birgir Már Björnsson.
Other key lawyers:
Eyvindur Sólnes; Birgir Már Björnsson
Jonar Transport ehf.
- Representing Samherji hf. in an investigation by the Icelandic and Namibian authorities into the company‘s subsidiaries in Namibia.
- Advised four Icelandic fishing companies in negotiating contracts with VARD Holdings regarding the design and construction of seven stern trawlers for a contract value of NOK700m.
- Representing Samskip in collecting damages from port authorities in Sweden, related to an injury suffered by an employee during docking in Sweden.
LOGOS legal services
Einar Baldvin Axelsson and Erlendur Gíslason jointly lead the maritime and transport practice at LOGOS legal services, and specialise in shipping and aviation mandates respectively. On the marine side, the team handles cargo and salvage claims, vessel sales and purchases, and international shipbuilding agreements. For its roster of aviation-related clients, which includes Icelandair and Icelease, the group advises on aircraft acquisitions, leasing issues and finance work.
Einar Baldvin Axelsson; Erlendur Gíslason
‘Our relationship with LOGOS is about 15 years old and we have been with the same partner at LOGOS all that time. Their knowledge of our business and our firm is a great strength in my opinion, as well as being very responsive to our requests. LOGOS is highly respected in Iceland and it goes without saying that such a reputation is of course a great asset.’
‘Erlendur Gíslason’s support to our business in every way has always been very positive and professional in my opinion.’
‘Without doubt the Logos team is the best in Iceland for maritime and transport. Our experience with them as a customer has spanned years and the service has been at an exceptional standard all those years in various projects and smaller deals – all have been done with a top-standard approach and commercial understanding for the parties in the deal.’
‘Einar Baldvin Axelsson has been our main legal adviser over the years and is by far the best lawyer in his field in Iceland. We have been lucky to work with him in countless projects over the years and his legal assets have without doubt helped us tremendously in many complex cases over the years and have always been executed by Einar Baldvin and his time in best possible way.’
‘Einar Baldvin Axelsson is the leading maritime lawyer in Iceland, outstanding knowledge and excellent record in the courts, and above all great human being with highest respect.’
Eimskip Island ehf.
Vatryggingafelag Islands hf.
The Icelandic Coast Guard
The Shipowners P&I club
The Standard Club
Atlantic Tank Storage ehf.
Air Iceland Connect
- Representing TM before the Icelandic Courts in a reclaim action against the carrier Samskip for loss of heavy equipment during carriage to Iceland.
- Acting for the Polish shipbuilding yard CRIST S.A. in a dispute with the Icelandic Road and Costal Administration in respect of delivery of a new-build passenger vessel.
- Acting as lead counsel to Icelease ehf. on its acquisition and subsequent sale of one Boeing 777 aircraft subject to an operational lease to Emirates.
At Juris, the maritime and transport team is led by Sigurbjörn Magnússon and Finnur Magnússon. While the group is recognised for its expertise in fishing issues, it is equally adept at handling regulatory work and advises clients on the purchase and financing of vessels, international trade law and the importation and exportation of health supplements. The practice's impressive client portfolio includes Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja and Eimskip.
Sigurbjörn Magnússon; Finnur Magnússon
‘Very good service and have experts in all fields and good contacts abroad if needed.’
‘I have worked with and relied on one of the partners, Sigurbjörn Magnússon, since 1990. From the beginning Magnússon had a very sensible strategy of widening our knowledge and capabilities.’
‘In my opinion, Juris covers the entire spectrum. We are in fishing, fish processing, canning and fish export via our own channels. As such, we we need a law office with a very diversified knowhow. In my opinion Juris is a perfect partner for us in this respect. They also have an excellent record in court.’
Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja hf.
Eimskip Ísland hf.
- Providing all general legal counsel to Lýsi hf., Iceland’s largest exporter of cod liver oil including all regulatory issues and overseas expansion work.
- Advised Rammi hf. on the terms of a loan for the financing of a new ship.
- Representing Huginn ehf. in a claim against the Icelandic government regarding the allocation of mackerel quotas.