EEA and competition in Iceland
The team at Lex Law Offices provides domestic and foreign clients with advice on EEA law matters and represents them before the EU Courts and the EFTA Surveillance Authority. The practice counts World Fuelling Services, Arion Bank and The National Power Company of Iceland on its client roster; clients benefit from the group's expertise in merger control issues including notification filings and its experience before the Icelandic Competition Authority. Víðir Smári Petersen is a name to note for contentious work.
Lára Herborg Ólafsdóttir, Víðir Smári Petersen
‘Detail oriented, organised and very responsive.’
MS Iceland Dairies (Mjólkursamsalan ehf.)
Reykjavik Energy (Orkuveita Reykjavíkur)
Alfa Framtak hf.
Arion Bank hf.
Olíuverzlun Íslands hf. (Iceland Oil Ltd.)
The National Power Company of Iceland
World Fuelling Services
Varða Capital ehf.
- Advised World Fuel Services on the notification to the Icelandic Competition Authority regarding the merger between World Fuel Services and UVair European Fuelling Services Limited.
- Representing Mjólkursamsalan in a high-profile competition case, which is due to be heard before the Supreme Court.
- Advised Varða Capital hf. on its purchase of shares in Hugbúnaður hf. including obtaining approval from the Icelandic Competition Authority for the merger in early 2020.
LOGOS legal services
Advising domestic and international clients in the retail, telecoms and fishing sectors, the EEA and competition team at LOGOS legal services is jointly led by Helga Melkorka Óttarsdóttir and Gunnar Sturluson. The group handles key issues including mergers, market dominance allegations and unlawful cooperation of undertakings cases, and advises on dawn raids, horizontal and vertical agreements, state aid work and private enforcements. In a notable highlight, the team secured a partial annulment of a fine given to Norvik and Byko relating to allegations of cartel behaviour. Halldór Brynjar Halldórsson is a key contact for competition litigation.
Helga Melkorka Óttarsdóttir; Gunnar Sturluson
Other key lawyers:
Halldór Brynjar Halldórsson
‘In-depth knowledge of relevant field of law, very good cooperation between partners in complex multi-legal-sector cases, very good understanding of the economy and different business.’
‘Halldór Brynjar Halldórsson. More in-depth knowledge of respective field of law then peers. He is able to find the hidden treasures in all matters and is willing to explore what lies behind the ordinary.’
‘In my opinion the team at LOGOS has extensive knowledge and experience in the field of EEA and competition law. They have been involved in most of the major matters that have come up in Iceland in recent years. They are responsive and solution driven.’
‘Gunnar Sturluson is one of the most experienced EEA and competition lawyers in Iceland. Helga Melkorka Óttarsdóttir also has long standing experience in this field.’
‘Well known and well respected firm in Iceland. They can serve ours needs both for the domestic market and our export market.’
‘Gunnar Sturluson has been our main contact and he has been outstanding in his service to us. Good consultations and deep understanding in our matters.’
Eimskipafelag Islands hf.
Ölgerðin Egill Skallagríms hf.
Arctic Adventures hf.
- Advising Norvik hf. and Byko hf. in relation to the largest fine ever levied in Icelandic history for an alleged cartel.
- Acting for Síminn, the largest telecoms company in Iceland, in relation to a very substantial claim for damages raised by its main competitor, alleging Síminn’s breach of competition law.
- Represented listed shipping company Eimskipafelag Islands hf. in a wide-ranging investigation by the Competition Authority, which commenced with a dawn raid at the client’s offices.
At ADVEL Attorneys at Law, the EEA and competition department is led by competition expert Dóra Sif Tynes and handles matters before the Icelandic Competition Authority, domestic courts and EFTA. The team advises companies and employees on a wide range of issues including state aid and market manipulation mandates and competition litigation.
Dóra Sif Tynes
The 'highly experienced' EEA and competition team at Juris is jointly led by Andri Árnason and Stefán A. Svensson. The practice represents clients before the Icelandic Competition Authority, and counts Eimskip, Borgun and Síminn on its client roster. The department also has a significant amount of cross-border project finance experience, as well as expertise in state aid cases, GDPR issues, market abyse mandates and merger work. Senior associate Hólmfríður Björk Sigurðardóttir is a key contact.
Andri Árnason; Stefán A. Svensson
Other key lawyers:
Hólmfríður Björk Sigurðardóttir
‘Highly experienced in the field. I have worked with them on several cases regarding competition matters and they have always given the right advice, and we have never lost a case.’
‘Ethics. Business acumen. Intellect. Speed.’
Eimskip Ísland hf.
Birgir Þór Bieltvedt
- Successfully defended Íslandspóstur hf. in a competition claim brought by Póstmarkaðurinn ehf. regarding alleged market abuse.
- Acted for Eimskip in its successful appeal to the Competition Appeals Committee regarding an objection by Samskip to a previous exemption to a share vessel agreement between Eimskip and Royal Arctic Line.
- Representing Síminn in its objection to an exemption from competition law which allowed the co-operation of other telecoms operators in relation to mobile phone networks.