Dispute resolution in Hungary
CMS has 'a truly stellar reputation' and is particularly praised for its 'good response time and innovative thinking'. Among its recent high-profile cases, practice head Zsolt Okányi and Gergely László represented Telenor Satellite Broadcasting in a public procurement dispute and a related international arbitration against Hungarian state television broadcaster Duna TV, the Hungarian Media Service Fund, and the Public Procurement Dispute Resolution Board. Environmental pollution, product liability, white collar crime and construction disputes also feature in its recent caseload. Senior associate Péter Bibók is recommended for construction arbitration and IT disputes.
‘Good response time and innovative thinking‘.
‘Zsolt Okányi and Gergely László are reliable and trustworthy‘.
Telenor Hungary & Telenor Norway
K&H Bank/KBC Securities
- Representing Raiffeisen Bank Hungary and Sopron Bank Burgenland Hungary in two separate multimillion-euro disputes against Hungary before the European Court of Human Rights for the violation of the banks’ rights to property and to fair trial.
- Acted for Swietelsky Magyarország in a construction litigation related to water dam construction against the Hungarian General Directorate of Water Management.
- Representing Erste Investment, subsidiary of Erste Bank Group in a series of arbitration proceedings against private investors and in court proceedings related to fraud.
DLA Piper is particularly active in investment treaty arbitration cases, with additional expertise in commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings. The team 'consists of highly skilled lawyers who are always at the client's disposal with very short response deadlines'. Among them, András Nemescsói is 'a very innovative thinker'; counsel David Kőhegyi is 'precise and a well-organised manager with the ability to understand different, very complicated business processes in a quick and thorough way'; and Viktor Radics is 'definitely an outstanding litigator who is methodical in analysing the matters and extremely knowledgeable and creative in achieving the goal of the client'.
András Nemescsói; Viktor Radics; David Kőhegyi
‘The team is extremely responsive, focused and knowledgeable. They follow the case with a 360-degree approach and involve colleagues of other departments as needed‘.
‘András Nemescsói is very strategic and has a holistic approach to problems. He has an absolute first-rate knowledge of EU law. He has an excellent understanding how various legal systems can affect each other‘.
‘Dávid Kőhegyi has superb courtroom presentation skills. He is a very creative and tactical lawyer and has truly excellent knowledge of public international law’.
‘Dávid Kőhegyi has excellent communication skills, a true diplomat, with superb witness interview skills. His legal advice is very creative, straightforward, well-structured, which makes clients very comfortable’.
Sportingbet and Sporting Odds
The Ministry of National Development
Tigáz Zrt. (ENI Group)
Strabag Építő Zrt.
NN Biztosító Zrt.
Symmetry Arena Kft.
Pfizer Gyógyszerkereskedelmi Kft.
- Defending major international online betting service providers in alleged illegal gambling activities claims against the Hungarian Gabling Authority
- Representing the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development in a ICSID claim brought by three investors, Magyar Farming Ltd, Inicia Zrt and Kintyre Kft relating to the impact of legislative changes concerning the lease of State owned arable land.
- Advised Generál Építő Zrt in a construction dispute with the investor.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners
Lakatos, Köves and Partners' diverse dispute resolution practice, jointly led by litigator Péter Köves and qualified ICC arbitrator Balázs Fazakas, handles a mix of international arbitration, investment protection and commercial disputes. Managing partner Péter Lakatos is also highly recommended.
Péter Köves; Balázs Fazakas
‘They provide excellent legal advice, strictly tailored down to client’s practical needs. Moreover, they are outstanding at conveying Hungarian legal concepts to foreign lawyers‘.
Ronald S. Lauder
W & Cie SA
TVOT (National Organization of School Book Distributors)
JSC ASE EC
EIK Ltd, Walker & Williams
- Advising Hungarian subsidiaries of the Colas Group as defendants in follow-on cartel damages claims launched by the Hungarian State and the Municipality of Budapest in relation to several road construction cartels.
- Acting for a group of investors in their dispute against the Hungarian government relating to the termination of a concession agreement for the operation of a casino.
- Representing a group of investors in a construction dispute against the local municipalities.
Nagy és Trócsányi Ügyvédi Iroda's team is led by highly regarded tax litigation specialist Péter Nagy, who counts major national and multinational corporates as clients. Nagy serves as a member of the ICC Arbitration Court, and is supported by Orsolya Kovács, and senior associate Viktor Jéger, who focuses on competition-related litigation.
- Represented Strabag’s special purpose company, Bamco, in numerous arbitration procedures on multimillion-euro claims arising out of an FIDIC contract.
- Defending the Hungarian state in the alleged damage compensation initiated by Hungarian slot machines operators.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda is regularly involved in major litigation and arbitration proceedings involving sovereign states. Its expertise spans the construction, financial services, insurance, transport and real estate sectors. Litigator Tamás Éless heads up the team, which also includes counsel Zsolt Farkas, who has notable experience in civil law liability claims, real estate disputes and bankruptcy and liquidation matters.
‘Very experienced and mature lawyers providing balanced and client-friendly advice‘.
TEVA Pharmaceuticals Europe
the Ministry for National Economy
Szecskay Attorneys at Law handles commercial litigation and arbitration cases. Managing partner András Szecskay is a highly regarded arbitrator in the team, which is led by recently promoted partner Miklós Boronkay, whose recent highlights include truck cartel damages litigation and commercial arbitration proceedings. Senior associate György Wellmann is a further name to note.
András Szecskay; Miklós Boronkay
‘The team is very professional and very dedicated to the client’s needs.‘
‘András Szecskay is very business oriented and extremely creative in solving different problems.‘
‘Miklós Boronkay is very attentive to detail, always professional and provides well-rounded legal advice.‘
‘Miklós Boronkay is always available and open to strategic thinking.‘
Sodexo Pass International
DAF Trucks N.V.
National Healthcare Services Center
ID & Trust
- Successfully represented Sadexo Pass International in a intra-EU BIT claim against Hungary State.
- Acting for DAF Trucks at the Court of Justice of the European Union in a cartel damages claim.
- Representing Terralex in a dispute pertaining to the rights of using a prime property against a Russian entity and the Hungarian State.
Dentons regularly handles cross-border litigation and arbitration. Recent highlights include representing an international energy company and its Hungarian affiliates in an ICC arbitration brought by a European regional energy distributor for alleged breaches of a sale and purchase agreement. Tax, unfair competition, employment and white-collar crime matters also feature in its recent caseload. Practice head István Réczicza has notable experience advising private and state-owned companies and sovereigns in a broad variety of administrative, court and arbitral disputes. Of counsel Lilla Király is also noted.
Budapest Airport Zrt.
Cinema City International
Engie / GDF Suez
- Advised GDF Suez in a high-profile energy arbitration relating to its investment protection claim.
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm regularly handles cross-border litigation and arbitration, and counts a number of household names including airbnb, Air France and Skecher as major clients. Employment, shareholder and construction disputes are among its recent instructions. Gábor Damjanovic and Zoltán Forgó act as counsels and arbitrators.
Air France/KLM Group
Big Bus Tours
Centrope Holdings Limited
Mechel Service Hungary Ltd.
Dánia Koncept Kft.
Due A srl
- Representing Eurovegas in a multi-million-euro minority shareholder dispute.
- Advised Heartbit in a shareholder dispute.
- Representing Due A srl in a high value construction dispute.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda's recent caseload includes tax, employment and IP disputes. Recently promoted partner László Nanyista heads up the practice, which also includes Konrád Siegler; the group counts MÁV and the Hungarian state as major clients.
MÁV (Hungarian Railway)
Republic of Hungary
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda handles disputes across the energy, financial services, manufacturing, real estate, telecoms, insurance and construction sectors. The team is led by managing partner Zoltán Faludi and also includes Enikő Lukács.
Shell Hungary Zrt.
Raiffeisenlandesbank Oberösterreich Aktiengesellschaft
Európa Alapkezelő Zrt
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy's practice, led by counsel Balázs Sahin-Tóth, recently acted for Betclic Everest Group in a dispute against the Hungarian tax authorities concerning IP blocking and fine decisions in relation to its online gambling websites. Other names to note include counsel Tibor Szántó, who leads the competition, EU and TMT regulatory practice; and senior associate Attila Kőmíves, who handles competition-related disputes and cartel investigations.
BetClic Everest Group
CIB Bank Zrt.
Citibank Europe plc Hungarian Branch Office
Chance for Children Foundation and 62 Roma children
ING Bank NV Hungarian Branch
- Advised Betclic Everest Group in relation to its litigation against the Hungarian tax authorities concerning IP blocking and fine decisions in relation to its online gambling websites.
- Representing CIB Bank in challenging the Hungarian Competition Authority’s decision on the cartel regarding the refinancing of early termination on fixed rates of foreign exchange loans.
- Acting for CIB Bank before the European Court of Human Rights against the Hungarian State in relation to a law adopted in 2014, according to which certain clauses in CIB Bank’s consumer loan contracts were deemed to be null and void.
CERHA HEMPEL Dezső & Partners is known for handling construction and project procurement disputes. It counts Swietelsky Magyarország Kft. as a major client; the team is acting for it in a series of construction disputes. Ilona Rónay-Csordás and senior associate András Fenyőházi jointly lead the team.
Ilona Rónay-Csordás; András Fenyőházi
‘Very good and diversified staff with wide expertise‘.
Swietelsky Magyarország Kft.
Phoenix Pharma Zrt.
SPAR Magyarország Kft.
KÁTA CNC Kft.
Porr Bau GmbH
- Representing Swietelsky Magyarország Kft. in a construction dispute against its subcontractor.
Gárdos Mosonyi Tomori Law Office is particularly experienced in banking, capital markets and insurance disputes, and also handles a range commercial litigation. In a recent highlight, the group acted for a local bank in litigation relating to a derivatives product, and represented Aegon in a series of litigation proceedings with insurance intermediaries. Péter Gárdos, Erika Tomori, András Nagy are the main contacts within the team, which also includes Veronika Papp and Rúben Matovics.
Erika Tomori; Péter Gárdos; András Nagy
‘Péter Gárdos has good advocacy skills and is known for his academic work too‘.
- Representing four Iveco entities as local counsel in a €400m litigation relating to almost 30 cases pertaining to the truck cartel decision of the European Commission.
- Representing Raiffeisen Bank in litigation relating to interest rate swaps sold before the financial crisis.
- Representing 240 private individuals as shareholders of Kinizsi Bank and Mohácsi Takarék Bank at the European Court of Human Rights for the breach of ownership rights set out in Article 1 of Protocol No. 1 of the Convention, with a legal act forcing an integration which eliminated the economic decision-making power of the owners.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law reshaped its dispute resolution team with the hire of Réka Vass and counsel Artúr Tamási, but saw the departure of József Antal to an in-house role, and Petra Pataki to CMS. The team is active in the construction, financial services and automotive sectors. Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi 'gives useful practical advice and is always responsive'.
Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi; Artúr Tamási
‘The practice group is well embedded in the law firm and is able to quickly get all the expert support needed to conduct the legal support. There is always the best level of interaction between partner and associates. Client communication with both partner and associates is well-balanced. The law firm is capable to manage dispute matters in all areas of law on a top quality level‘.
‘Zoltan Hegymegi-Barakonyi is outstanding, he is able to fully understand client’s business and gives valuable and appropriate advice‘.
K&H Bank Zrt.
Tokaj Wine Region
National Pálinka Council
- Represented Market Zrt. in a construction litigation.
- Representing K&H Bank in three indepedent cartel cases.
- Defending M-Híd Zrt., a leading Hungarian construction company in three high-profile and top value private damages enforcement case.
LFB – László Fekete Bagaméry
LFB – László Fekete Bagaméry is a dispute resolution boutique established in 2018 by András Dániel László, who was previouly at Szecskay Attorneys at Law; Zoltán Fekete, who has worked at RSM Hungary and the Hungarian tax authority; and Gáspár Bagaméry, who specialises in tax litigation. The team handles a broad range of commercial disputes including corporate tax, contractual and shareholder matters, as well as software rights disputes and investment treaty arbitration proceedings.
Andras Daniel Laszlo
‘Although relatively new, the practice consists of highly seasoned professionals with major engagements and international experience under their belts. Being an independent firm allows for additional flexibility and more cost-effective service‘.
‘They are new law firm, so they are not very large, but the quality of their work is only comparable to the largest and most reputable law firms. The way their tax and business attorneys with together makes them extremely efficient. They are quick and dynamic, but at the same thorough and reliable‘.
‘Andras Daniel Laszlo is a key figure in the arbitration community and a seasoned practitioner both at commercial and investor-state arbitration level‘.
‘Andras Daniel Laszlo is a seasoned litigator with ample experience in international disputes, including high-profile investment treaty cases. He is articulate, highly professional and with a loyal client following‘.
‘Andras Daniel Laszlo is extremely bright and a genuinely international lawyer in the sense that he fully understands what is needed when presenting a case before an international tribunal‘.
Digital Media and Communication Zrt
Istenhegyi Genetic Diagnostics
- Acting for Magyar Farming in investment arbitrations against Hungary before ICSID.
- Representing Fux Zrt in an international commercial arbitration before the Court of International Commercial Arbitration in Bucharest relating to a dispute arising out of a commercial contract
- Representing a major Hungarian retail chain in a shareholder dispute.
Lohn Law Firm
Lohn Law Firm is praised for its 'practical and business-minded approach'. The team handles competition, employment, IP and commercial disputes. Márta Mráz and Balázs Lohn are 'easy to reach and have up-to-date knowledge'.
Balázs Lohn; Márta Mráz
‘Their service is customized, and they will go the extra mile to make sure their service is beyond expectations‘.
‘The team has practical and business-minded approach’.
‘Márta Mráz and Balázs Lohn are easy to reach and have up-to-date knowledge‘.
Material Logistic Kft. and Material Group Kft.
- Representing Material Logistic Kft. in a contractual dispute against a leading Hungarian energy, water and waste management company.
- Acting for Nyírterv-Plusz Kft in a breach of IP rights dispute.
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP is 'always focused on problem solving'. It handles litigation, investment treaty proceedings and commercial arbitration cases. Managing partner László Partos acts as counsel and arbitrator, and Sándor Békési is particularly experienced in infrastructure-related disputes.
László Partos; Sándor Békési
‘Always focused on problem solving’.
‘László Partos is outstanding – he provided advice on Hungarian law in the context of ICSID proceedings with distinction. He is definetly a go-to lawyer when it comes to dispute resolution in Hungary‘.
- Advising Edenred in relation to the Hungarian law aspects of the investment arbitration proceeding initiated by Edenred against Hungary before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
- Advising Vajda Papír Kft in relation to an alleged trade mark infringement before the Budapest Metropolitan Court.
- Representing Aviagen in a commercial litigation matter against a Hungarian food production company.
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal
- Acted for WebMindLicenses Kft (WML) before the regular domestic courts, but also before the Constitutional Court and the European Court of Justice in one of the biggest tax litigation cases against the Hungarian tax and customs authority.
Sándor Szegedi Szent-Ivány Komáromi Eversheds Sutherland handles tax litigation, damages claims, construction disputes, employment cases and other commercial disputes. Péter Sándor, Péter Komáromi and Ildikó Szegedi are names to note.
Péter Sándor; Péter Komáromi
Municipality of City Hatvan
EBV Elektronik GmbH & Co. KG
- Representing Toyota Hungary against its formal contractual partner.
- Acting for Monsun in a passing off proceeding against a competitor.
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys handles litigation and arbitration proceedings for multinational and domestic companies. The team is active in employment, competition, regulatory and financial disputes. László Kelemen heads the practice.
Casino Merkur Spielothek /Berlington Hungary
- Representing a number of slot machine operators in a damages case against the Hungarian state.
VJT & Partners excels in employment and insurance disputes, and regularly represents clients in various administrative proceedings before the Data Protection Authority, the Hungarian Competition Office and the Consumer Protection Authority. Zoltán Csernus leads the practice.
Erste Vienna Insurance Group
Andrékó Kinstellar's recent instructions include representing a real estate investment company in arbitration proceedings relating to the termination of a lease, and handling a cross-border dispute relating to the supply of defective chemical products. Competition specialist Péter Vörös leads the team, which also includes Ákos Nagy, who handles employment, industrial and consumer goods litigation and pharmaceuticals disputes.
Raiffeisen Bank Zrt
- Representing Raiffeisen Bank in a high-profile cartel proceeding.
Jalsovszky is known for handling high-profile tax litigation. The team also recently saw an increase in instructions relating to administrative and commercial litigation. Recently promoted partner Tamás Fehér leads the team.
‘The team combines a strong willingness to win the dispute, representing clients with correctness and loyalty without increasing the possible tax risks.‘
Euro VAT Reclaim, s.r.o.
Krakvet Marek Batko
Vodafone Magyarország Zrt.
MAK Mecsek Autópálya Koncessziós Zrt.
- Representing Vodafone Magyarország Zrt. before the ECJ and the Hungarian courts in a dispute concerning the special telecoms tax and transfer pricing.
- Acting for MAK Mecsek Autópálya Koncessziós Zrt. in court regarding claims of alleged damages caused by the company’s construction of the motorway.
- Representing a Hungarian company in arbitration proceedings concerning a non-payment issue.
Kapolyi Law Firm
Kapolyi Law Firm is 'well-organised, and has well-trained lawyers who provide effective and appropriate assistance'. The team recently acted for a real estate developer in a dispute against a lender for the unlawful termination of a lease agreement. Managing partner József Kapolyi and Bálint Bajkó lead the team.
József Kapolyi; Bálint Bajko
‘The team provides excellent legal service. In addition to their expertise and practical experience, the members of the team are flexible, fast, helpful. They provide understandable, quick, accurate, clear information and propositions‘.
‘The team has well-trained lawyers who provide effective and appropriate assistance’.
Savencia Fromage & Dairy Hungary Private Company Limited by Shares
Hungarian Post Investment Ltd.
Landmark Attractions Ltd.
Solar Gold Ltd.
Random Capital Ltd.
Access Investment Management Ltd
Sodexo Hungary Ltd.
Receiver Management Ltd.
- Representing Hungarian Post Investment before the Supreme Court of Justice in the launched public sector information proceeding against Hungarian Post Ltd.
- Defending Karszt Utca 3 Plc in a dispute arising from real estate management and exploitation for payment of agency fee.
- Acting for Keler CCP Central Counterparty private Company Limited in an arbitration proceeding against the Romanian stock exchange before the Paris International Arbitration Tribunal.
KCG Partners Law Firm handles employment, IP and bankruptcy matters for well-known clients including Lego, Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Français and Legrand Hungary. Levente Csengery and Rita Párkányi jointly lead the team.
Levente Csengery; Rita Párkányi
Quality Line Training Center
Association of themFrench Government Scholars
TPLG Tout Pour le Grain
Megoldás Patika Pharmacy Network
Schwarzmüller Járműgyártó és Kereskedelmi Kft.
CLAAS KGaA mbH
ThyssenKrupp Presta Hungary Kft.
OIG Swiss AG
Diehl Aircabin Hungary Kft.
ADCO Umweltdienste Holding GmbH
Peek & Cloppenburg Kft.
ThyssenKrupp System Engineering GmbH
- Representing Schwarzmüller Járműgyártó és Kereskedelmi Kft. in a labour dispute.
- Advising Thyssenkrupp on the court procedure of warranty and damages claims against ACR Building Ingatlangazdálkodási Kft.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda regularly handles cross-border energy, competition, employment, IP and consumer protection litigation and arbitration matters. Recent highlights include representing a utility company in an arbitration pertaining to a breach of contract dispute. Managing partner Kinga Hetényi is the main contact.
S. C. Medlife SA
Eurofins Group and Eurofins Environment Testing Kft
OMV Hungária Ásványolaj
Kft. and OMV Refining and Marketing GmbH
Russmedia International Establishment
UniCorp Biotech Kft.
- Advised Telenor ASA on the largest telecoms M&A transaction in the CEE region, the sale of its CEE subsidiaries to PFF Group for EUR 2.8bn on an enterprise value basis, and assisted Telenor on various post completion matters.
- Schoenherr advised the Medlife Group on the acquisition of a 51 % majority stake in a Hungarian group of private clinics called the Rozsakert Medical Center Group (“RMC”).
- Schoenherr advised B&B Hotels on its market entry and hotel development project in Budapest.
Taylor Wessing Hungary's recent highlights include representing a banking sector client in enforcing claims arising from loan and mortgage agreements against corporate entities, and handling a series of disputes arising from the termination of lease agreements. Zoltán Novák heads up the team.
‘Zoltán Novák has excellent language and writing skills in English, German and Hungarian. Analytically precise which is imperative in a civil code driven system. Remarkably friendly and client focused person who is a true pleasure to work with and intellectually curious personality allows for creative thinker in a normally straightforward thinking space‘.
Museum of Fine Arts
The estate of Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG
- Successfully defended Mango Hungary Kft. in a dispute initiated by its landlord for unlawful termination of a lease agreement.