Dispute resolution in Hungary
CMS has a market-leading practice covering all types of disputes and it represents domestic and international clients in civil and criminal litigation, as well as arbitration. The firm is active in a broad range of sectors, such as banking, pharmaceutical, construction, telecoms and aviation. Key drivers of work include tax disputes, bankruptcy cases and human rights-based applications before the European Court of Human Rights. Zsolt Okányi chairs the CEE-wide disputes department. Senior associates Péter Bibók is experienced in construction arbitration and IT disputes, while József Kohl is active in white-collar crime investigations and criminal proceedings against corporate entities.
Other key lawyers:
Péter Bibók; József Kohl
‘Understanding of complex cases, ability to think out of the box, tailor-made solutions‘
‘The firm’s dispute resolution practice is market-leading in its handling of both domestic litigation and arbitration under all relevant rules, and unique in its set-up combining international/regional outreach with in-depth knowledge of the local practices, environment and industry breadth. It is led by extremely good strategist (and activist) Zsolt Okanyi and comprises knowledgeable, sharp practitioners at all levels of experience. It also shows good diversity (certainly in terms of gender).’
‘Zsolt Okanyi: Zsolt stands out with his superb knowledge of the civil procedure law and court practice and his strategical and analytical abilities. His litigation strategy-building capabilities are unique I think. He is a charismatic person, with assertive communication skills who is able to convince people easily.’
‘Peter Bibók: Peter has a very good insight into the IT industry and technological trends which is rare among lawyers. He is able to bridge legal thinking with IT knowledge thus he can “translate” very complex IT cases to judges who are by far not knowledgeable in IT practice.’
‘Zsolt Okanyi: carefully weighs pros and cons, has not only deep knowledge of law, but also shared his experience from practice‘
Telenor Hungary & Telenor Norway
K&H Bank & KBC Securities
- Representing Alkaloida, one of the leading pharmaceutical companies of Hungary, in litigation arising from a sale and purchase agreement concluded with the Chinese Chongqing Nansong Chemi-Tech Co. Ltd. under the laws of Hungary.
- Acting for Telenor Satellite Broadcasting AS (part of the Norwegian telecommunications giant Telenor Group) in a long-running landmark €10.8m public procurement dispute and a related international arbitration against Hungarian state television broadcaster Duna TV, its shareholder, the Hungarian Media Service Fund, and the Public Procurement Dispute Resolution Board.
- Acting for the National Bank of Serbia as defendant in a lawsuit in Hungary initiated by insurer and assignee Euler Hermes regarding the performance of a bank guarantee and a tort claim dating back to the times of the Balkan war in the early 1990s.
DLA Piper is highlighted for its outstanding offering in gambling disputes, and its other key areas of activity include banking, energy, construction and tax-related cases. David Kőhegyi and Viktor Radics, who have been promoted to the partnership, focus on the settlement of international disputes, particularly investor-state arbitration cases and other high-value litigation and arbitration matters before the Hungarian and European courts. András Nemescsói specialises in financial and corporate litigation, as well as financial regulatory issues, and has recently been appointed to the ICSID Panel of Arbitrators.
András Nemescsói; Viktor Radics; David Kőhegyi
The Cabinet Office of the Prime Minister
NN Biztosító Zrt.
Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development / Agency for the Administration of the National Land Fund
Generál Építő Zrt., Hungarian subsidiary of STRABAG AG
Pfizer Gyógyszerkereskedelmi Kft. Hungarian subsidiary of Pfizer Inc.
Symmetry Arena Kft.
- Representing the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and other bodies in an ICSID claim brought by three British investors which claim that as a result of certain legislative changes introduced concerning the lease of State owned arable land their farming business was erased. The investors – joined by other investors in a similar situation – also brought domestic legal actions related to the aggrieved measures.
- Acting for Nabriva Therapeutics in challenging a decision by the Hungarian National Drug Administration which blamed Nabriva for a line of misconducts, namely three fatalities occurred at a local Hungarian pulmonology hospital, also acting as global pre-marketing study of Lefamulin a new antibiotics to be marketed globally by Nabriva.
- Advising major international online betting companies such as PaddyPower, Betfair and Gala Interactive in several lawsuit portfolios against the Hungarian Gambling Authority, in challenging EU law conformity of the latest (post 2014) online gambling regulatory regimes in Hungary which harshly limited the access of the international players to the Hungarian market.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners has recently restructured its disputes department and appointed Balázs Fazakas as its head. He is a qualified ICC arbitrator and an experienced counsel in arbitration, litigation and regulatory investigations. The sizeable team of multilingual experts includes Péter Lakatos and Péter Köves, who are mandated in disputes arising from the energy, real estate and telecoms sectors, often representing investors in litigation. The team is also well versed in the new rules of Civil Procedure and Investment Protection in Hungary.
Other key lawyers:
Péter Lakatos; Péter Köves
‘LKT manages our NPL portfolio litigation and enforcement proceedings extremely well. We appreciate that understanding and responding our business needs with innovative and practical legal steps and best solution oriented approach in very difficult legal circumstances. They always give us a reliable estimation as to the potential outcome of the matter, including an estimation on the likely working hours and time that will be needed to reach the intended result. This upfront estimation always assists us in making the best available business decision how to approach a legal proceeding.’
‘All that we can say it that the Lakatos team is a professional one and they complete each other in order to help us with all of our requirements.’
‘Balázs understands our goals and responds amazingly. We feel like he is really interested in reaching the best available success for us in dispute resolution and enforcement proceedings as well. We are also grateful for his honest views on the cases and that he is not afraid to admit when the likelihood of success or effective recovery of any amounts awarded is limited and thus we can address this view in adopting our business strategy accordingly.’
TVOT, the industry body of school book distributors
W & Cie SA
JSC ASE EC
- Advising the Indotek Group on a regular basis on various “inherited” disputes relating to the acquisition of troubled assets. These disputes usually relate to the debtor’s challenge of the termination of the loan agreement and the client’s representation in the enforcement proceeding.
- Acting for LG in litigation similar to proceedings the firm handled for Nokia, where it was held in a second instance court decision that Nokia does not need to pay blank data carrier levy fees for its mobile phones in relation to the disputed period (2002-2007).
- Advising several Hungarian subsidiaries of the Colas Group, one of the largest global road construction companies, as defendants in follow-on cartel damages claims launched by the Hungarian State and the Municipality of Budapest in relation to several road construction cartels. These cases are the pilot cases under a new private enforcement regime with a record high matter value.
Led by Péter Nagy, Nagy és Trócsányi Ügyvédi Iroda's disputes team has a 'good combination of high analytical skills and exceptional synthesis with a professional interest'. It is active in high-profile civil litigation and arbitration cases involving constitutional and administrative law, tax, real estate, product liability, corporate and commercial and TMT claims, among others. Nagy is sought after for his expertise in tax disputes, as well as claims pertaining to banking litigation, product liability and damages. Orsolya Kovács and György Kiszely are also recommended for tax and banking litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Orsolya Kovács; György Kiszely
‘Strengths: high professional legal experience, good client care, accuracy. ‘
‘Excellent team with strong knowledge, a good combination of high analytical skills and exceptional synthesis with a professional interest to contribution to the bottom line. In the field of litigation is the best ever lawyer I know: Peter Nagy (Nagy & Trocsanyi law firm). Excellent communication skills at court combined with the ability to adapt to any new situations. ’
‘Very capable team with the ability for strategic thinking.’
Hungarian Ministry of Justice
MNV (Hungarian National Asset Management Inc.)
Hungarian State (Ministry of National Development)
Metropolitan Tribunal of Budapest
- Representing Heerema Engineering Services B.V of the Heerema Group in a Pauliana lawsuit against another offshore services provider, the case is pending before a Hungarian court. The claim arises from patent infringement and the value claimed exceeds $100m.
- Recently won a HUF14bn case for the Hungarian subsidiary of Kedrion S.p.A. against a Hungarian government entity. Upon request for supervision of the government the case is pending before the Kúria, the Hungarian supreme court.
- Representing the government of Hungary as an intervener in the twin atomic energy cases, both Austria v. Commission, one pending before the ECJ, the other before the Regular Court.
Tamás Éless is the lead partner at Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda, which undertakes a wide range of contentious mandates, ranging from corporate and commercial litigation to insurance, international arbitration and professional liability cases. Counsel Zsolt Farkas has a strong track record in civil law liability claims, real estate disputes and bankruptcy and liquidation matters.
The disputes team at Szecskay Attorneys at Law are 'very creative, always come up with new ideas and think out-of-the box' . The practice is active in landmark cases before the Hungarian and European Courts, such as representing Gedeon Richter before the CJEU, a case which clarified the position in interim injunctions in patent infringement cases. The team is regularly instructed by clients in the real estate, pharmaceutical, telecoms and energy sectors. It is well regarded for its expertise in public procurement litigation, damages actions and high-profile arbitration. Name partner András Szecskay and practice head Miklos Boronkay are assisted by senior associate György Wellmann; they are highly commended for their 'professionalism and commitment.
András Szecskay; Miklós Boronkay
Other key lawyers:
‘The litigation matter was quite complex and involved international activity. The legal team was very efficient, especially their ability to think ’
‘We had the pleasure of working with this firm in another very complex litigation case in Hungary, which ended with a very important success. Therefore this team was chosen by us again – specifically we worked with Mr. Andras Szecskay and Mr. Miklos Boronkay. Both were at all times available for all queries and the job was done very quickly and efficiently. ’
‘The Szecskay team consists of top litigators. They are very creative, always come up with new ideas and think out-of-the box. I would clearly recommend them for the most complex litigation in Hungarian courts.’
‘Miklos Boronkay and Anika Keller are top litigators. They really work as a team.’
‘Whenever we need a local law firm in Hungary, Szecskay is our first place to go. While we have had decent experiences with other Hungarian law firms, too, Szecskay has always fulfilled or over fulfilled our expectations. We particularly value their broad areas of experience, the straightforward and pleasant communication and the quality of their work. Last but not least, cost estimates and billing are transparent and the value for the work performed is exceptional. ’
‘Good, open and direct communication. Professional level is very high. Always having a back-up 2nd attorney that knows your case. Good connections in the legal environment. Very capable to communicate internationally.’
‘Gyorgy Wellmann and Miklos Boronkay “radiate” professionalism and commitment’
‘The work with the team at Szecskay is one of the highlights in our professional life. Their strengths are creativity, proactivity and readiness for flexible solutions. They do not understand the word ‘impossible’, they are always eager to find something new, something not tried. The cooperation with them is like a conversation where the other party can continue the sentence where we stop.’
DAF Trucks N.V.
DIGI Communications N.V.
Gedeon Richter Plc.
Sodexo Pass International
Waybridge Estates Kft.
NEW ENERGY Ipari, Kereskedelmi és Szolgáltató Korlátolt Felelősségű Társaság
Accor-Pannonia Hotels Zrt.
Hévíz-Nemesbük Termál Ingatlanfejlesztő Korlátolt Felelősségű Társaság
Állami Egészségügyi Ellátó Központ
Barabás Téglakő Kft.
CEVA Santé Animale SA
ITVK Tatabánya Bt., Montel Informatika Kft. and MICRA-METRIPOND Kft.
- Representing DAF in circa 30 follow-on competition damages cases in Hungary, all related to the European Commission’s trucks decision. Also represented DAF before the Court of Justice of the European Union in case C-451/18, also related to the trucks case.
- Representing DIGI Communications N.V. in a large number of parallel administrative and court proceedings in relation to the client’s exclusion from the 5G tenders in Hungary.
- Representing Sodexo Pass International in the annulment proceedings related to an €73M ICSID award rendered against Hungary.
Dentons' team is praised for its 'second to none' professionalism and 'well communicated and spotless business sense'. István Réczicza leads the group, which demonstrates expertise in international arbitration, particularly claims under the Energy Charter Treaty and in relation to bilateral investment treaties. The practice also coordinates high-stakes cross-border commercial litigation and represents corporates in unfair competition and contractual claims. In addition, it acts as counsel before employment tribunals. Réczicza, who is an experienced arbitrator, works with counsel Lilla Király in civil disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Dentons is one of the best firms of its kind, because their international background keeps them open-minded and grounded at the same time. The best service they could provide me was their responsiveness, as it was not only short but also precise at all the times when I needed them. They are innovative but clear and they always kept me in the loop with details which helped me make decisions. As for professionalism, theirs is second to none; their business sense was spotless and well communicated.’
Engie / GDF Suez
Budapest Airport Zrt.
Cinema City International
- Defended the Hungarian GDF-affiliate, GDF Suez Energia Holding Hungary Zrt., in a series of lawsuits valued at more than HUF 100 million brought by Hungarian gas trading companies for its alleged failure to secure transmission capacities on the national gas transmission system. We also represented the client in a lawsuit relating to the transfer of ownership title to a commercial real estate property in Szeged and damages amounting to more than HUF 500 million.
- Representing Vodafone in a litigation against the Hungarian Competition Authority (GVH) concerning the GVH’s decision by which it imposed a significant fine on Vodafone for infringing the provisions of the Act on the Prohibition of Unfair Commercial Practices against Consumers.
- Representing Invitel, a major player in the Hungarian telecoms and infocommunications market, as a plaintiff before the court in several procedures aimed at challenging the legality of the so-called telecom tax (a sector specific duty imposed on telecommunications providers). We claim that the telecom tax was unlawful under EU law and, in particular, that it infringed the provisions of the TFEU (Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union) on the freedom of establishment, the prohibition of indirect discrimination and the prohibition of state aid.
Forgó, Damjanovic & Partners Law Firm's team has 'a very professional, efficient service' with a 'very good understanding of law and legal procedure'. Gabor Damjanovic handles a wide spectrum of commercial litigation and arbitration before Hungarian courts, regulatory bodies and international tribunals. Zoltán Forgó is the other key arbitrator.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a very professional, efficient service. They are always available and continuously advise us on developments in the case. They also have a very good understanding of law and legal procedure and the best way to handle the different stages of the litigation. They have some great advocates as well.’
- Advising EUROVEGAS Group (holding a concession to build up to 5 casinos near the Hungary-Austrian- Slovak border) in a court case against minority shareholders of the project claim in an amount exceeding €50m.
- Advising Allianz in connection with the fire occurred in the Korda Film Studio in Etyek, burning down several sets of the new Robin Hood film series.
- Acting for Hungarocontrol (the Hungarian national air navigation service provider company) in a newly initiated lawsuit by a former employee regarding a study contract and a related large-volume repayment obligation.
LFB – László Fekete Bagaméry
Legal and tax boutique LFB – László Fekete Bagaméry fields an 'efficient, solution oriented team, with outstanding capacities to handle cross border matters'. The practice is led by András Dániel László, who is dual-qualified to practise in the US and Hungary. According to a client, he has the 'experience, intelligence and strategic judgment to perform all necessary tasks to an international standard'. He is sought after for his expertise in international arbitration, and is often involved in both commercial and investment arbitration matters before ICSID. Gáspár Bagaméry and Zoltan Titusz Fekete are recommended for commercial, corporate and tax disputes.
András Dániel László
Other key lawyers:
Gáspár Bagaméry; Zoltan Titusz Fekete
‘The capability to handle international disputes single-handedly, ie, Andras Laszlo and his team has the ability to handle all aspects of an international dispute – including drafting complex pleadings and cross-examining witnesses – without the need for expensive ‘international’ counsel from Western Europe or the US.’
‘A smaller law firm that is very motivated to support the client. More “in-house support” than a law firm. Good feeling for financial impacts of a dispute.’
‘Andras Laszlo knows his clients and their business. He is highly capable in complex cases.’
‘They are very professional talents who react very fast which is crucial in some cases. I would like to highlight that they are able to explain legal subjects in an easily understandable way even for people without any legal knowledge. ’
‘LFB is a new firm but we have been working with its founder, Andras for years. They are an efficient, solution oriented team, with outstanding capacities to handle cross border matters.’
‘We have complete trust in Andras Laszlo, who has handled several bet the company type cases for us during the years. He is smart, quick thinking, very well prepared and extremely reliable.
‘The personal relationship / contact is excellent, along with keeping the client fully informed at every step of the process. They are incredibly thorough in the research and putting the arguments together in a structured, logical and persuasive manner.’
‘Andras Laszlo Daniel has been the lead partner on our case, I can not praise him enough for being so thorough and engaged in our case.’
Investment Control Kft
Digital Media and Communication Zrt
- Representing Magyar Farming, English investors in investment arbitrations against Hungary before ICSID. The investors run a large livestock farm in western Hungary and the dispute arises from the Hungarian government’s agricultural land reforms. The firm now represents the client in annulment proceedings started by Hungary.
- Acting for Europe’s largest bioethanol producer in international commercial arbitration procedures against a supplier.
- Representing a service provider against the Hungarian state in a claim for damages caused by legislation setting up a state monopoly in violation of EU law.
At Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda, László Nanyista has over 20 years of experience specialising in litigation and arbitration matters. He undertakes high-value corporate, commercial and regulatory disputes, as well as matters pertaining to capital markets, anti-takeover defences and energy law. He also acts as counsel in international commercial and treaty arbitration cases.
Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda's multidisciplinary team of litigators and arbitrators includes experts in commercial litigation, enforcement procedures, employment disputes and challenges to the acts of public administrative bodies. The addition of senior counsel Lajos Wallacher to the team from Wallacher Ügyvédi Iroda adds further expertise in EU and competition disputes. Active clients include major players in the banking, construction, energy and telecoms sectors. Zoltán Faludi chairs the department. Associate Enikő Lukács is noted for representation of creditors in restructuring cases and security enforcement.
Other key lawyers:
Lajos Wallacher; Enikő Lukács
Allen & Overy
Allen & Overy represents foreign and domestic corporates in commercial, competition and employment disputes in the Hungarian courts, as well as in judicial review proceedings challenging the decisions of administrative authorities. The firm also has a prominent pro bono practice, as was demonstrated by Balázs Sahin-Tóth representing Chance for Children Foundation and 62 Roma children in their moral damages claim against the municipality and school in Gyöngyöspata, Hungary, for illegal school segregation.
Chance for Children Foundation and 62 Roma children
ING Bank NV Hungarian Branch Office
CIB Bank Zrt.
Citibank Europe plc Hungarian Branch Office
Scania CV AB
- Representing Scania in relation to multiple follow-on damages claims in Hungary related to the EU Commission’s cartel decision related to medium and heavy duty trucks.
- Advised and represented ING in the European Court of Justice in the landmark preliminary reference procedure C-228/18 Budapest Bank and others v GVH. The firm continues to represent ING before Hungary’s Supreme Court in connection with the court review of the Hungarian Competition Authority’s decision in its MIF investigation.
- Acted for CIB Bank in a litigation against a decision of the Hungarian Competition Authority imposing a fine on CIB for its involvement in an infringement restricting consumers to refinance their FX denominated mortgage loans in relation to an opportunity, governed by law, to terminate such loans early at preferential exchange rates.
CERHA HEMPEL Dezső & Partners specialises in commercial disputes involving construction and development projects. In addition, it also demonstrates expertise in contentious regulatory mandates connected with public procurement tenders and it acts for creditors in insolvency proceedings. Ilona Rónay-Csordás and construction expert András Fenyőházi are the key partners.
Ilona Rónay-Csordás; András Fenyőházi
SPAR Magyarország Kft.
Public procurement dispute resolution body
Agro-Pacht Kft. – an agribusiness with an international background
Dessewffy utca 32 HOTEL
Káta Cnc Kft.
Swietelsky Magyarország Kft.
- Advising Swietelsky Magyarország Kft for more than two decades on various constriction projects, litigation and arbitration disputes.
- Representing Porr GmbH in connection with complex claim management cases.
- Representing Káta Cnc Kft. in several international commercial legal disputes involving precedent-establishing issues in matters of judicial authority.
Gárdos Mosonyi Tomori Law Office
Gárdos Mosonyi Tomori Law Office has 'a good reputation' in disputes involving the financial services and insurance sectors; it often acts for banks, investors and insurers. In the arbitration space, Erika Tomori and Péter Gárdos are particularly knowledgeable about the intricacies of finance, capital markets and securities claims. Commercial litigation, shareholder disputes and damages claims are also core areas of activity. András Nagy is another key figure.
Péter Gárdos; András Nagy
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a good reputation, mostly based on their excellent academic background.’
‘Péter Gárdos – very capable and thorough lawyer.’
‘András Nagy – lawyer with good pragmatic approach and courtroom presence.’
‘Péter Gárdos – quick, very clever with outstanding advocacy skills‘
- Representing Iveco in Hungarian damages claims in relation to the European Commission’s decision finding that the truck manufacturers infringed EU competition law.
- Representing 240 shareholders at the European Court of Human Rights for breach of ownership.
- Successfully representing Raiffeisen Bank in litigation relating to a derivative product of the bank.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law is particularly active in financial, construction and competition enforcement litigation, with a stream of new mandates in connection with IP and product liability claims. Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Artúr Tamási are the lead partners, representing leading Hungarian and international companies in the technology, retail, banking and automotive sectors.
Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi; Artúr Tamási
A leading construction company
A leading U.S. based fast food network
- Representing Market Zrt., a major construction company, in a complex construction litigation. The dispute concerns one of the most significant property developments in Budapest over recent years. The case is among the most complex litigations pending under the new Code of Civil Procedure.
- Acting for K&H Bank in multiple competition litigation matters including the high-profile “BankAdat” case, concerning the Hungarian Competition Authority’s decision to impose a fine on the Hungarian Banking Association and the International Training Center for Bankers for operating an anticompetitive information exchange system for member banks, where the firm successfully represented the client. The firm also represents the client with respect to cartel litigation which relates to the decision of the HCA in the Hungarian MIF (multilateral interchange fee) case where the Court of Justice has been asked by the Hungarian Supreme Court to provide guidance on fundamental and yet undecided questions of EU competition law.
- Defending a leading Hungarian construction company, in two high-profile and high value private damages enforcement cases against the Hungarian State and the Metropolitan Municipality. The cases were brought following a fine imposed on the client and other construction companies for several hard core cartels relating to motorway construction and overpass/bridge construction. The cases currently pending before the courts will both be precedent setting
Lohn Law Firm
Lohn Law Firm focuses on commercial, corporate, professional malpractice and contentious construction matters. Balázs Lohn, who focuses on commercial litigation, is 'versatile, a very good leader and a good communicator'. Márta Mráz provides 'stand-out answers and solutions' in relation to labour and IP litigation.
Balázs Lohn; Márta Mráz
‘The Lohn Law firm is a reliable partner for your business in Hungary.’
‘[Balazs Lohn] is versatile, a very good leader and a good communicator. He seems to have a smooth and close working relation with the rest of his team. ’
‘Apart from Balazs Lohn I worked with Marta Mraz on a particularly tricky labour law problem (that also related to the pandemic). She was prepared and had stand-out answers and solutions, even considering the – daily changing – legal environment. She was available at all hours (weekends as well) and pricing was really reasonable considering the hours and the work put in. ’
‘Lohn Law Firm’s practice is very strategic and put a great emphasis on preparation of any dispute resolution processes. They keep us updated and initiatively assist on identifying risks of disputes and help us avoiding them and if possible settle promptly.’
Material Logistic Kft. and Material Group Kft.
- Advising a Hungarian group of companies, Material Logistic Kft, in ongoing litigation against one of the market leader groups in Hungary in the energy, water and waste management industries. The procedures include litigations based on contractual claims like validity of assignments, set-off agreements, criminal and liquidation procedures.
- Representing a Hungarian architecture firm NYÍRTERV-PLUSZ Kft against various clients and architecture firms due to the breach of its intellectual property with the aggregate claim value of €3.8m.
- Represented a Hungarian citizen in a succession matter against family members and related companies. The legacy included agricultural lands, crops, trademark and the ownership rights of an annual arts and music festival which annually attracts close to 60,000 people.
Partos & Noblet in co-operation with Hogan Lovells International LLP has built up a wealth of experience in disputes with a nexus to real estate, construction and infrastructure projects. Clients of the firm include names such as GE Power, Alstom Transport and STRABAG. László Partos is a noted figure in international investment treaty disputes, and he is currently acting as a special expert in the ICSID arbitration launched by Dan Cake Portugal against the Hungarian State, which concerns a compensation claim arising from the liquidation of the Hungarian subsidiary of Dan Cake. Infrastructure expert Sándor Békési has been nominated by the Chairman of the Hungarian Arbitration Court to be appointed as a recommended arbitrator with effect in 2021.
László Partos; Sándor Békési
‘Mr. Partos is a quite skilful lawyer, with a practice ranging from corporate to litigation. He is very easy to work with and essential in guiding you through the Hungarian legal framework and some of its idiosyncrasies.’
- Advising Edenred in relation to the Hungarian law aspects of the investment arbitration proceeding initiated by Edenred against Hungary before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
- Advising Vajda Papír Kftin relation to an alleged trade mark infringement before the Budapest Metropolitan Court.
- Representing Aviagen in a commercial litigation matter against a Hungarian food production company.
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal focuses on civil disputes involving commercial agreements, insolvency, tax and TMT- related issues. It also advises on out-of-court procedures for property evictions. Name partner László Réti has extensive experience of appearing at all court levels. He is assisted by managing partner and tax litigator Zoltán Várszegi. Dániel Kelemen is another key individual.
László Réti; Zoltán Várszegi; Dániel Kelemen
‘Dr. Zoltan Varszegi is an experienced lawyer, who not only leads his team effectively, but also has deep technical understanding through which he provides up-to-date service to his clients. Dr. Daniel Kelemen has a client friendly communication style, deep understanding of Hungarian procedure law.’
‘Comprehensive knowledge base, flexibility, quick reaction, thorough preparation.’
‘I highlight Dr Dániel Kelemen. Impressive professional knowledge, special skill to explain complex legal issues understandable also for non-professionals.’
OTP Bank Nyrt.
Glencore Agriculture Hungary Kft.
- Representing OTP Bank Nyrt. in the judicial review phase of the renowned interchange fee cartel case before Hungarian courts and the European Court of Justice. The firm also successfully represented OTP Bank Nyrt. in a series of follow-on lawsuits against the Hungarian Competition Authority (HCA) claiming a significant additional amount of interest related to the fine reimbursed by the HCA.
- Advising Jász-Plasztik Kft, active in the waste management industry and adjacent sectors, on a competition investigation by the HCA and its follow-up procedures, including the court procedure, presently a constitutional complaint procedure before the Hungarian Constitutional Court.
- Acting for Inícia Zrt., the plaintiff in a legal dispute against the Hungarian State, several natural persons regarding their lease rights and pre-lease of about 1,000 hectares of arable land.
Péter Sándor leads Sándor Szegedi Szent-Ivány Komáromi Eversheds Sutherland's dispute resolution offering, which largely focuses on claims relating to construction projects, torts, breaches of contract, labour and tax matters. Péter Komáromi is the key commercial litigator in the team.
Péter Sándor; Péter Komáromi
‘Local team provided effective support on business talks, negotiations which is driven by quick understanding of the situation, legal risks and identifying potential opportunities to avoid claims from our customers.’
‘Péter Sándor understands the situation quickly, shares valid legal opinions and can do it in a way that business talks remain between business partners, rather than being overly-dominated by lawyers.’
Universal Hungary Kft.
Fornetti (belongs to the Aryzta Group)
BSH (Bosh Siemens Hungary)
Fedex / TNT
Füredi Mészkő Kft.
- Advising Toyota on numerous debt collection cases, including their legal dispute with Gladiolus group of companies, a Hungarian company being leading wholesale company in the territory of stationary and chemurgy.
- Advising Turkish Airlines on all dispute resolution cases in Hungary, including among others, passenger claims for compensation pursuant on the basis on Flight Compensation Regulation 261/2004 EC due to the cancellation of flight.
- Advising Fagold on a dispute against Vectigalis the most significant liquidator company in Hungary for allegedly deliberatelycausing damages to be sustained by the client.
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys
Szabo Kelemen & Partners Attorneys is a strong choice for many clients in civil litigation and arbitration proceedings. Its wide-ranging workload includes commercial claims and employment disputes, as well as contentious matters concerning competition, banking, regulatory and tax issues. The team appears before all levels of court and regulatory bodies. László Kelemen heads up the sizeable team, which includes Laura Vágó, András Komáromi and Áron Somogyi.
László A. Kelemen
Other key lawyers:
Laura Vágó; András Komáromi; Áron Somogyi
Casino Spielothek /Berlington Hungary
- Representing several clients (around 15 plaintiffs, including Merkur Spielothek) against the Hungarian State regarding their claims for damages based on EU law.
- Acting for the Croatian company, Werkos before the Hungarian courts in a lawsuit for compensation of damages resulting from the drawdown of bank guarantee and other damage.
VJT & Partners has a strong track record in administrative proceedings and commercial disputes before the Data Protection Authority, the Hungarian Competition Office and the Consumer Protection Authority. Employment law disputes, real estate, insurance and tax are among the mainstays of the practice. Zoltán Csernus is 'superb, knowledgeable and highly competent in dispute resolution and employment law'.
‘I have dealt primarily with Zoltan Csernus at VJT. He is superb, knowledgeable, and highly competent in the fields of both dispute resolution and employment law’
‘The team members have a wide range of theoretical and practical knowledge. Not only do they know the rules, but they can also apply them. They are also familiar with European practice. They express their legal position in an understandable, concise manner, supported by examples.’
‘The team members are flexible, accessible. They focus on the needs of the client.’
NN Insurance (formerly ING Insurance)
ERSTE Vienna Insurance Group
Andrékó Kinstellar's dispute resolution practice is led by Péter Vörös, who is a specialist in competition claims. Kristóf Ferenczi is experienced in international and domestic arbitration related to the energy sector, and he is particularly active in electricity and natural gas cases. Ákos Nagy is the key partner for assistance with commercial and employment litigation.
Other key lawyers:
Kristóf Ferenczi; Ákos Nagy
Raiffeisen Bank Zrt.
- Advising and representing Raiffeisen Bank in repeated procedure concerning the amount of the fine to be imposed on the client and the other parties amounting to a total of approximately 5 billion HUF (approx €15.5m) for unlawful coordination regarding HUF-based mortgages following a competition supervision proceeding resulting in the reduction of fines.
- Representing client in administrative litigation against a decision of the Competition Authority, imposing the then highest fine in an unfair commercial practices case.
- Represented a client in an employment-related lawsuit initiated by a former employee, relating to unlawful termination and damages in connection with a work accident.
Kapolyi Law Firm
Kapolyi Law Firm, whose practice is jointly led by managing partner József Kapolyi and József Antal, has a first-rate reputation in real estate disputes. Also notable is that Antal joined in August 2020 from Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law, which bolstered the firm's offering in relation to arbitration, litigation, compliance and white-collar crime cases.
József Kapolyi; József Antal
‘The dispute resolution team at Kapolyi Law Firm works reliably, precisely and is highly effective.’
‘They are very dynamic, experienced, precise, have a great work ethic and deep knowledge. They offer high quality of legal services, with the utmost competency and with a business/project-oriented approach.’
‘Each team member is already a highly-qualified professional. In addition, team members possess a piece of unique knowledge and experience in certain areas such as a specific area of substantive law or procedural law. ’
‘The team is proactive and efficient. They dispose on in-depth knowledge and expertise in dispute resolution and enforcement, which is extremely valuable for us. Their knowledge and experience make them capable to compete with the best law firms of the country.’
‘The dispute resolution team of Kapolyi Law Firm works reliably, precisely and highly effective. They are very dynamic, experienced, precise, dispose on great work ethic and deep knowledge. They grant high quality of legal services with the utmost competency as well as business and project oriented approach. They are open minded and greatly dedicated providing excellent client care and attention. ’
‘Apart from the expertise and the decades-long experience, the readiness, the way of communication with clients, the rapidness, business-like attitude and accuracy makes the dispute resolution practice group of Kapolyi Law Firm unique. What I experienced during the long collaboration with them is that their first goal is to represent the client’
‘The preparedness, readiness, helpfulness, and their business-like attitude are the components why they stand out from other competitors. Apart from these qualities I also value the fact that they always response in due time, they are always available.’
Delta Technologies Plc.
Hungarian Post Investment Ltd.
Landmark Attractions Ltd.
Random Capital Ltd.
Alba Molaris Ltd.
Sodexo Hungary Ltd.
AGY 69 AG
Karszt Utca 3 Plc
- Acting for client, Delta Technologies Nyrt. a publicly listed company on the Budapest Stock Exchange (BSE) has increased its registered capital by €90m, in a claim brought by a shareholder against the decision.
- Defending Landmark Attractions Ltd against claims brought by plaintiffs regarding contractual liability arising from the set up a ferris-wheel in the city center of Budapest. Landmark Attractions Ltd. has also counterclaim against Óriáskerék Kft.
- Representing Budaliget Ltd before the Metropolitan Court of Budapest in 15 civil proceedings to regain the property rights of luxury real estate dwellings.
KCG Partners Law Firm focuses on contentious employment, IP and bankruptcy matters. Levente Csengery, who is dual-qualified to practise in Hungary and the US, is regularly instructed by international clients with a local subsidiary. Rita Párkányi is notably sought after by French-speaking clients and is particularly experienced in employment litigation.
Levente Csengery; Rita Párkányi
SNCF (Société Nationale des Chemins de fer Français)
SBERBANK Magyarország Zrt.
BNP PARIBAS CARDIF
SUNTEC INDUSTRIES HUNGARY
Noerr has a strong contentious employment practice, which is led by Viktor Füzi and includes counsel Edina Czeglédy. The practice also undertakes civil and criminal litigation, together with its German based offices.
Other key lawyers:
CLAAS KGaA mbH
thyssenkrupp Components Technology Hungary Kft.
RUAG Ammotec Magyarországi Zrt.
Diehl Aviation Hungary Kft.
thyssenkrupp System Engineering GmbH
Eurochem Agro Hungary Kft.
- Representing Eurochem Agro Hungary Kft. in an administrative law case, regarding the Electronic Trade and Transport System before the Supreme Court. The Noerr Budapest litigation team argued from the beginning with interpreting the Hungarian tax rules re the Electronic Trade and Transport System in light of the European common system VAT Directive. The Supreme Court admitted the appeal on the grounds that its decision is necessary because of a) ensuring the uniformity or improvement of the practice of law and b) necessity of the proceedings of the Court of Justice of the European Union to provide a preliminary opinion.
- Acting for CLAAS KGaA mbH in both, civil and criminal litigation. The civil litigation is about claim for damages caused by fraudulent misconduct of former employees of the firm.
Kinga Hetenyi is the key partner at Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda, which is regularly involved in Hungarian and cross-border disputes involving contract law, employment, consumer protection, IP, IT and energy law. Alexandra Bognár is a reputable counsel for white-collar defence.
Kinga Hetényi; Alexandra Bognár
‘The lawyers are professional, they are available many times. Their communication and their jobs are effective.’
‘Very good reaction, accurate and understandable explanations wherever requested.’
‘Schoenherr’s dispute resolution team has been consistent, devoted and very professional in my dealings with them. We’ve been working on a case for several years, with a difficult counter party, and they have remained responsive, attentive, and thoughtful throughout the entire time.’
‘The team has been creative and flexible in terms of reacting to court rulings, settlement proposals from the other side, and other developments in the case, and adjusting the litigation strategy in a thoughtful manner.’
Swiss International Air Lines / Edelweiss Air / Helvetic AirWays
ERSTE Bank Hungary Zrt
Richard Fritz GmbH / RF spol. s.r.o.
- Represented Apple in several court cases tied to the violation of business secrets or certain IP rights.
- Representing Daimler in approximately 40+ litigation cases in which various plaintiffs try to enforce private law damage claims against Daimler based on earlier European competition law violation by major manufacturers, including Daimler.
- Acted for the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) in legal actions against a criminal organisation active in Hungary which pretend to pursue an activity similar to that of the EUIPO and misleading and causing harm to trade mark applicants.
Taylor Wessing Hungary provides multilingual Hungarian, English and German representation to clients in IP disputes. It is often involved in trade mark and copyright-related matters, as well as real estate disputes and Covid-19 related commercial claims. IP specialist and practice head Zoltán Novák represents multinational companies in high-value claims involving commercial contracts, corporate disputes and employment matters.
‘TW Budapest is very quick at responding and their responses are clear, comprehensible and show alternatives, cost aspects and consequences. This enables me to decide quickly and to proceed with focus on solution. In comparison to other law firms they do not bore me by citing court decisions and long legalising explanations in endless sentences.’
‘Taylor Wessing Budapest has a huge working capacity. Their strengths are their high skills in their profession, historic knowledge and knowledge of foreign languages. ’
‘Dr. Zoltán Novák is an excellent lawyer with a versatile education. Working with him is always pleasant, he is inspiring, straightforward and honest and always very helpful. Zoltán’s working capacity is enormous. It is always a pleasure to work with him.’
‘I’ve worked with partner Zoltan Novak since he joined the firm as a junior associate. He is remarkable. His English-language work product is superior to that of most native English speakers. He is thoughtful and creative. Technically, he is local counsel, but his contributions to the case far exceed those of the typical local counsel. He is good with details, but is also good at keeping his eyes on the big picture.’
‘Superior technical writing & language skills combined with localized expertise. Youthful energy but the academic rigour to their work to match up with anyone.’
‘Dr. Zoltan Novak – game changer in our international litigation centered in Washington, D.C. who has become so respected by the U.S. court that he is asked by the judge to approach the bench to assist with issues. Not even U.S. lawyers get that privilege when in U.S. courts.’
Hungarian State, Museum of Fine Arts
Mango Hungary Kft.
- Representing Hungary and some of its public collections in a lawsuit filed by heirs of a Jewish art collector in the US District Court for the District of Columbia.