Andrékó Kinstellar has ‘one of the leading practices in the market in terms of experience and technical knowledge’. Its first-rate data protection practice, which is integrated into the firm’s broader TMT department, has a stellar reputation among clients in the financial services, automotive, telecoms, pharmaceutical and energy sectors. Highlights included assisting Avanir Pharmaceuticals with compliance issues regarding its clinical trials in Hungary, and advising the Vodafone Group on retention issues. Elsewhere, the team collaborated with OneTrust on the preparation of DataGuidance, as well as the publishing of the Budapest Chapter of PrivacyConnect. Managing partner Kristóf Ferenczi is the key name to note. Senior associate Dániel Endre Nagy who joined from Kapolyi Law Firm in October 2021 is another key individual. Zsombor Orbán, associates Dániel Attila Nagy and Flora Szalai departed in September 2021.
Data privacy and data protection in Hungary
Other key lawyers:
Dániel Endre Nagy
‘As a team, they have very good collaboration capabilities. Most of the individuals have talented skills and professional preparedness.’
‘Other than being a strong data protection and technology practice, the team has an information security adviser, which is very useful addition to their services. The team is business focused, and always provide the advice we need.’
‘They are always available, have a very high level of professional knowledge, are extremely flexible and always take into account the client’s needs and purpose.’
‘One of the leading practices on the market in terms of experience and technical knowledge.’
Vodafone Group Plc
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Vanguards Fashion Group
- Assisting Vodafone with the creation of Europe’s largest tower portfolio, Vantage Towers, comprising over 68,000 sites across 9 markets. Advised on the establishment in Hungary, Czech Republic and Romania of this new company for Vodafone, and in the creation of its long-term contractual structure to create 5G network coverage in the CEE region.
- Advising MVM Zrt., the largest Hungarian energy company, on the data privacy aspects of the acquisition of companies and assets from E.ON, including (i) ÉMÁSZ Hálózati Kft. (DSO); (ii) a portfolio of more than 3 million consumers; and (iii) ELMŰ-ÉMÁSZ Ügyfélszolgálati Kft. (customer service provider).
- Advising the Hungarian operations of the SK Group in setting up its privacy governance structure.
CMS' team garners praise for its ‘extensive and up-to-date knowledge of data privacy and data protection laws, policies and practices’. It also stands out for its continued use of technology and applications, such as the CMS.Law GDPR Enforcement Tracker and the Data Breach App, among many others. Areas of significant growth for the practice include AI (CEE managing director Dóra Petrányi is a co-chair of the Hungarian AI Coalition), autotech and Covid-19-related data issues. Petrányi is supported by ‘seasoned and highly recognized’ senior counsel Márton Domokos, who leads the CEE-wide data protection practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Understanding of business processes and the surrounding environment, brainstorming, bringing ideas and offering tailored solutions.’
‘CMS data privacy and data protection team members have extensive and up-to-date knowledge on data privacy and data protection laws, policies and practices. As they are very well aware of the needs of our company, they are of excellent assistance whenever a data privacy matter arises.’
‘Márton Domokos is a seasoned and highly recognized data privacy lawyer in the Hungarian market. He knows our company and he has always been able to provide us with a tailor-made solution.’
Partner in Pet Food
Johnson & Johnson
- Continuing to support Partner in Pet Food in GDPR compliance and data protection matters in Hungary, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland and the Netherlands since 2017.
- Advising Samsung Electronics on GDPR compliance and data protection matters. Recently, we advised on preparing regular data privacy country risk assessments, data protection compliance of CCTV operations, marketing activities and employee and customer related data processing operations.
- Advising Microsoft on a full range of matters regarding data protection.
Dentons assists Hungarian and multinational clients with privacy and data protection, e-commerce, drafting data access agreements and other relevant documentation, as well as the development, maintenance and protection of database assets. The team is well known for its expertise in matters concerning telecoms and media, pharma, consumer goods, the public sector and non-profit organisations. Managing partner István Réczicza is the lead lawyer, and is supported by senior associates Tímea Bana and Tibor Kancsár.
Other key lawyers:
Tímea Bana; Tibor Kancsár
‘Great availability, flexible colleagues, short delivery times.’
UFA Hungary (RTL Group)
Hungarian Football Federation – MLSZ
- Advising the Hungarian commercial vehicle sales representation subsidiary of a German automotive industry holding company on GDPR compliance matters, including conducting an internal data protection audit at the company.
- Representing an international self-driving vehicle technology developer in front of the Hungarian National Authority for Data Protection and Freedom of Information (NAIH) for data protection and regulatory issues.
- Advising the Hungarian affiliate of FremantleMedia, the international television content production and distribution subsidiary of Bertelsmann’s RTL Group, on data privacy matters, program production, commercial issues and copyright licensing matters.
Operating within its corporate department, Lakatos, Köves and Partners' data protection practice has historically focused on the financial services, telecoms and energy sectors. More recently, however, the practice has also seen a steady flow of work involving an interface between IT, data protection and regulations in the automotive sector, specifically, a growth in instructions from leading manufacturers such as Volkswagen, as well as electric battery manufacturers and suppliers. Iván Sólyom leads the practice, which also includes employment lawyer Éva Bognár, who has a significant focus on data protection, data privacy, GDPR and social media. A key contact for Asia-based clients is associate Péter Szaniszlai, who is a speaker of Japanese and Mandarin Chinese, and is recommended for IP and data protection work.
Other key lawyers:
Éva Bognár; Péter Szaniszlai
American International School of Budapest
IQVIA (previously IMS Health)
- Advised Vodafone on the acquisition of Liberty Global’s operations in Hungary as part of a global deal and regarding all types of data protection matters.
- Advising the MARS Group on all aspects of data privacy in relation to their production unit in Hungary (one of the largest in the CEE), as well as their commercial units in Hungary, including MARS Multisales and Royal Canine.
- Advising Mastercard on all aspects of data privacy issues relating to their Hungarian marketing programs. The firm has been advising Mastercard in relation to their benefit program on card transactions and participated in negotiations with leading banks on the specific applications of the program.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda's expertise cuts across intellectual property, tech and communications and dispute resolution. Newly appointed partner Bálint Halász is the primary figure for data protection work, and is active in relation to GDPR audits and compliance, data breaches and subject access requests.
National Gaming and Esports Federation
- Supported the National Gaming and Esports Federation on various regulatory issues, including, regulating data flows inside the federation, internal data protection bylaws, among others.
The ‘proactive, flexible and dynamic team’ at Taylor Wessing Hungary demonstrates ‘comprehensive knowledge of both EU and Hungarian data protection law’. Practice head Dániel Ódor is the counsel of choice for US-based clients, as well as multinationals across the CEE region, and he maintains a strong level of activity in data protection and GDPR compliance audits. The firm often cooperates with its CEE-wide offices on multijurisdictional mandates.
‘Probably one of the best practice in Budapest in the field of data protection demonstrating comprehensive knowledge of both EU and Hungarian data protection law, and would deserve greater recognition for this in the industry.’
‘Acutely understanding the needs of clients, they have always provided practical advice to us.’
‘Proactive, flexible and dynamic team at Taylor Wessing. Working together with them was smooth and efficient.’
‘Daniel Odor is a solution-oriented lawyer who has a strong focus on what the clients need. Very professional, quick and available.’
‘They’re bright, quick and professional.’
‘We have worked with Daniel Odor-Huszar and he was very professional, responsive and flexible.’
Chipita Hungary Kft.
CML Construction Services Zrt.
AKA Zrt and A-WAY Zrt
JUNGHEINRICH Hungária Kft.
International Property Network Zrt.
- Advised Hiya Inc on introducing new features and services from a privacy point of view, working closely with US legal advisors, resolving data protection complaints successfully, supplying the client with new risk/impact assessments and tailored, complex model contracts to be used in its new business relationships.
- Assisted CML Construction Services Zrt. (STRABAG) with several issues, among them operating CCTV surveillance, biometric processing and supporting the client throughout a data breach.
- Continuing to advise the International Property Network Zrt. on the full range of its data processing activities, with special regard to its highly regarded marketing strategies.
The team at VJT & Partners is noted for its ‘outstanding knowledge, combined with client care and commercial mindedness.’ The ‘first-class team‘ includes managing partner and ‘seasoned expert‘ János Tamás Varga. Also of note are Endre Várady and Andrea Belényi, both of whom have ‘extensive experience of supporting businesses in the e-commerce and fashion sectors’. The group advises on the full-range of data protection and privacy issues, such as sector-specific concerns, complex GDPR audit projects and matters before the Hungarian Data Protection Authority.
János Tamás Varga; Endre Várady
Other key lawyers:
‘VJT & Partners is a go-to firm in data protection matters. VJT team has outstanding knowledge combined with client care and commercial mindedness. The team is capable to make operational even the most difficult GDPR issues. ‘
‘VJT has standout privacy practitioners: – János Tamás Varga (Managing Partner): Very strategic and forward-thinking privacy expert. – Endre Várady (Partner): Very notable expert in Hungarian and EU data protection laws. He offers practical and business-oriented solutions for whatever privacy issue the client is facing. – Andrea Belényi (Partner): Very responsive with client focused and problem-solving approach.’
‘Janos Tamas Varga is a seasoned expert and very reliable and responsive to client needs.’
‘Partner Andrea Belényi and Endre Várady are communicative, committed with extensive experience in supporting business in the e-commerce and fashion sectors.’
‘Endre Varady knows the regulators’ perspective well and has a deep expertise in data protection and IT law, online product related legal issues. Andrea Belenyi is very reliable with delivering work products and is also responsive to client needs.’
‘The team at VJT & Partners consists of exceptionally skilled legal professionals. They work effectively as a team and contribute with their wide knowledge of local law complexities to support the whole CEE team.’
‘Absolutely first-class team. Both quality and knowledge are outstanding.’
‘VJT team is unique as they perfectly match their high professional expertise with client focused approach.’
- Advised Google on RTBF cases.
- Advised CCC on marketing and other privacy matters.
CERHA HEMPEL Dezső & Partners approaches data privacy from an IT standpoint. A key specialism of the practice is in the implementation of technical data protection measures (including the requirements of the NIS Directive) and advising on data-related issues within IT projects, such as IT outsourcing, digitisation, IoT, big data and the use of new technologies. Lead partner Tamàs Polauf is supported by senior associate Eszter Bohati, who joined from Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda.
Other key lawyers:
‘The data protection team provides a quick and professional legal advice, whenever requested. Their team is able to cover all the different aspects of the area, whether the client is a private or a public entity. Their advice is clearly written, also describing the alternative solutions, if any.’
‘The team is very responsive and skilled in their legal advice.’
‘The team has strong knowledge in the area and they collaborate well with clients.’
‘All the employees are experts, correct, reliable and polite.’
AWP P&C S.A.
Bauhaus Szakáruházak Kereskedelmi Bt.
Evobus Hungária Kft.
Hoerbiger Service Hungaria Korlátolt Felelősségű Társaság
Nemzetközi Vállalatok Magyarországi Társasága
Okkal Dobban Alapítvány
Uniqa Raiffeisen Software Service Kft.
Ober Pénzügyi Lízing Zrt.
- Continuing to assist BAUHAUS with every aspect of data protection in the everyday activity of the company with regard to its services, brick-and-mortar stores and webshops.
- Advised EvoBus on certain privacy issues, such as its call centre’s lawful processing of recordings of complaints, the automation of the call centres, and about the protocol for providing copies of the recorded calls.
- Assisted UNIQA Raiffeisen Software Service Kft. with its GDPR project as a whole, and since then, the firm has provided help to URSS in connection with its privacy or tech related (e-signature) questions on a regular basis.
Newly-promoted partner Zoltán Kozma, who leads the data protection practice at DLA Piper, ‘delivers great value to the client’ and has a ‘business-focused mindset’. Working with associate Eszter Viktória Varga, they both demonstrate a ‘good understanding of the market and data protection issues‘. Fully integrated into the TMT department, the practice often takes an IT and IP angle in relation to data protection law, advising on matters such as notification and consent issues, individual right requests, as well as data transfer agreements and cyber security.
Other key lawyers:
Eszter Viktória Varga
‘I have worked with Zoltán Kozma and Eszter Varga on data protection assignment and they form an excellent team. They have a good understanding of the market and data protection issues.’
‘Zoltán has a business focused mindset and delivers great value to clients. He is very professional in communicating their advice and finds the right way and balance between pleasing clients with their advice, but not being hesitant to communicate the do nots. I like the way how they allocate their resources and their pricing is transparent.’
Cognizant Technology Solutions Hungary Kft.
Rolls Royce Plc.
Reckitt Benckiser (RB) plc.
Wizz Air Hungary Zrt.
Arconic-Köfém Mill Products Kft.
- Advising a UK-based auction house client in connection with Data Subject Access Right (DSAR) matters. The firm is also representing the client in authority proceedings and data protection litigation initiated in Hungary by data subjects.
- Advising Wizz Air Hungary on implementation of a GDPR compliance program, including across partner airlines, business units and loyalty schemes.
- Continuing to provide full service legal advice in all data protection matters to Cognizant in Hungary.
KPMG Legal Tóásó Law Firm
KPMG Legal Tóásó Law Firm is experienced in assisting clients from the financial, collection, retail, health care and manufacturing sectors. Focusing on GDPR preparation and compliance projects, as well as day-to-day assistance and litigation, the team also advises on mapping data flows regarding software applications. Bálint Tóásó is the key contact.
Raiffeisen Bank Zrt.
Amnesty International Magyarország
Amigos a Gyerekekért Alapítvány
EOS Faktor Magyarország Zrt.
Kometa 99 Zrt.
- Represented Raiffeisen Bank in litigation concerning different GDPR litigation cases, within which the firm has won one of the first litigation cases against the DPA under the GDPR.
- Assisted EOS Faktor Magyarország Zrt, a debt collection agency, with a full-scale legal review of its processes in order to ensure the transparency of its operation and to facilitate its GDPR and data protection compliance.
- Advised Intrum Zrt. in the implementation work related to its core data processing activities. Within this, the firm assessed the applicable scoring system of the client and provided support in the preparation of the related data protection impact assessment and legitimate interest test.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda has a strong background in data compliance, privacy regulations and litigation. Experienced IT lawyer Ivan Bartal in instructed by a broad cross-section of international clients, such as Ferrero, Skanska and Neckermann (Thomas Cook) on GDPR compliance and matters concerning Hungarian data protection laws.
‘Perfect and professional support, they solve all complex cross-country matters regarding EU and non-EU issues. We are very pleased with the support and the quality of the service. The business understanding and solutions are always customer solution-oriented. Legal challenges are always managed in a proper way.’
‘I am working with the team almost daily, led by Ivan Bartal, who is not only professional lawyer but also a great team player.’
Vodafone Shared Services
Mediszintech Audiológia Kft.
Tarsago Magyarország (formerly Reader’s Digest)
Réti, Várszegi and Partners PwC Legal's team impresses clients with its ‘deep knowledge of data protection laws and practice’, as well as its ability to draw upon audit, tax and business advisory experts within the PwC network. The sizeable group is made up of IT expert Csilla Dékány, employment partners László Szűcs and Márta Zsédely, and corporate specialist Réka Mihola. All individuals undertake a significant amount of data protection related due diligence work and GDPR compliance reviews.
Csilla Dékány; László Szűcs; Réka Mihola; Márta Zsédely
‘Excellent knowledge of data protection rules and matters. They can provide day-to-day support, as well as comprehensive advice in complex legal matters.’
‘Deep knowledge of data protection laws and practice, business-minded attitude, proactive, reliable and responsive team.’
‘Flexible and professional team is ready to support the clients with high quality service. They are very reliable partners in special topics. Communication and billing were also smooth.’
PricewaterhouseCoopers Magyarország Kft.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Könyvvizsgáló Kft.
SEWS Komponens és Elektronika Európa Kft.
FESTO-AM Gyártó Kft.
Roma Education Fund
RSOE (Rádiós Segélyhívó és Infokommunikációs Országos Egyesület)
KÖR Innovatív Zrt.
Nemzeti Filmintézet Közhasznú Nonprofit Zrt.
ROSSMANN Magyarország Kft.
Magyar Tenisz Szövetség (Hungarian Tennis Association)
- Advised SEWS Komponens és Elektronika Európa Kft. on GDPR aspects of a newly-introduced HR application.
- Advised SOE (Rádiós Segélyhívó és Infokommunikációs Országos Egyesület) on GDPR aspects of an international cooperation project aiming the introduction of a new harmonised system (application) for River Information Services with the participation of 13 European countries’ relevant ministries and authorities.
- Assisted Roma Education Fund with the GDPR compliance project of the fund acting as a member of an international network of funds for the support of education of young Roma.
At SBGK, highlights included advising Amrest Hungary on data issues related to its newly introduced telemetry system, as well as assisting a media company with implementing its mobile device policy, known as a BYOD policy. András György advises on GDPR compliance, preparation of internal personal data processing policies and also acts as counsel in audits conducted by the Hungarian Data Protection Authority. Krisztián Osztopáni is ‘a very well-prepared expert in the field of data protection, with very extensive and comprehensive knowledge.’
András György; Krisztián Osztopáni
‘Mr. Osztopáni is a very well prepared expert in the field of data protection with a very extensive and comprehensive knowledge. His approach is always practical, provides unambiguous, useful legal opinion. He is a great support to the company in ensuring the GDPR compliant operation.’
- Advised the Edenred Group and its Hungarian subsidiary, Edenred Magyarország Kft, on the local implementation of HRIS by preparing a data protection impact assessment, privacy notice, and other issues, as part of its newly introduced recruitment tool.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda is a 'steady and reliable partner', under the leadership of counsel Dániel Gera, who assists clients with audits and GDPR compliance projects. He also advises on the preparation and implementation of internal data protection, privacy and data retention contracts and policies.
‘We worked together on a large data breach matter. They have been very swift and pragmatic in their advice.’
‘The company is a steady and reliable partner. They have experts in all legal areas.’
‘All of them are experts of their legal area and they are absolutely flexible in case of alignment needs.’
BAUHAUS SZAKÁRUHÁZAK Kereskedelmi Betéti Társaság
European Union Intellectual Property Office
BMW Vertriebs GmbH
Makro Cz / Restu s.r.o.
M7 Real Estate Hungary Kft.
Cargoe GmbH & Co KG Magyarországi Fióktelepe
- Represented Apple in several court cases tied to the violation of business secrets or certain IP rights.
- Assisted the European Union Intellectual Property Office with legal actions against a criminal organisation active in Hungary aiming at causing harm to trademark applicants. The activity included misuse of personal data so the team assisted with initiation a revision process with the Hungarian Data Protection Authority.
- Advising BMW Vertriebs GmbH on the reorganisation of its sales companies in Hungary, Austria and Poland including setting-up the legal process of the transfer of the personal data of BMW’s clients and the direct marketing database to the new BMW entity from data protection perspective.
Barnabás Buzási is the key contact at Wolf Theiss Faludi Erős Ügyvédi Iroda, where the data protection group operates as part of the firm’s employment practice. The firm has a well-established presence in the local market, as well as across the CEE region, supporting a cross-section of clients on GDPR mandates and on various data protection, retention and privacy issues. The firm has EuroPriSe (European Privacy Seal) legal and technical experts in-house, who certify IT-products and IT-based services. Taking an employment law standpoint, Buzási advices on data protection policies and procedures, data transfer in outsourcing projects and employee monitoring.
‘Customer-focus. Well-prepared, professional attitude prompt and well established solutions.’
International Flavors & Fragrances I.F.F. (Hungary) Kft.