Projects and energy in Hong Kong
Baker Botts L.L.P.
Upstream projects are a core strength of Baker Botts L.L.P.‘s practice, and the team is equally adept at handling midstream, downstream, and floating LNG projects for a number of prominent global energy sector companies. Houston-based Jason Bennett heads up the firm’s projects group; practitioners to note include Russell Wilkinson, who is well versed in handling oil and gas and LNG projects and Michael Arruda, who has expertise in advising on Indonesia-based projects. Associate Janet Zheng is also noted. Since publication, Joanna Du joined Mayer Brown in June 2o21.
Herbert Smith Freehills
The team at Herbert Smith Freehills has been advising on high-value energy and infrastructure acquisition and financing matters concerning greenfield, LNG, oil and gas, and renewable energy projects, to name a few areas. Hilary Lau shares leadership of the practice with Danila Logofet, who is very experienced in handling Russia-related energy mandates.
ENN Ecological Holdings
- Assisting Gazprom with the construction, procurement and financing of the on-going Amur Gas Processing Plant project in Russia, which will form part of the Power of Siberia natural gas pipeline project.
- Advised Yinson Renewables on its acquisition of a 37.5% stake in India-based solar company Rising Sun Energy.
- Advising Poly-GCL on all aspects of its on-going $4bn Ethiopia-Djibouti gas-to-LNG project.
Linklaters' 'very responsive and extremely knowledgeable' team is well known for its strong capabilities in assisting lender-side clients with high-value financing mandates for the development of multinational infrastructure and energy projects. Oil and gas, LNG, and renewable energy are key sector strengths for the team, which falls under the shared leadership of Stuart Salt, James McLaren, and Crystal Chen.
‘Excellent levels of service, and a very strong bench. Commercial and willing to make strong, robust calls. Strong partners, and A-grade associates – superb, unrivalled team overall‘.
‘Stuart Salt – one of the best in the world at what he does‘.
‘James McLaren – strong partner, responsive and commercial, willing to go the extra mile for clients‘.
China Development Bank
China Construction Bank
China Light and Power
Hong Kong Electric
- Represented China Development Bank in its $629m project financing of the Lekki Deep Sea Port project in Nigeria.
- Advising wind farm developer wpd AG on the project financing of the planned 350MW Guanyin offshore wind farm project in Taiwan.
- Advising CLP Group and Hong Kong Electric on the development of a floating regasification unit (FSRU), jetty, subsea gas pipelines and gas receiving stations as part of a proposed LNG to power project in Hong Kong.
DLA Piper is well known for its strong capabilities in handling project finance work. Recent areas of instruction for the team include oil, private natural gas, mining and geothermal power project mandates. The 'outstanding' Matthias Schemuth shares leadership of the practice with Carolyn Dong .
‘DLA has an outstanding knowledge of the projects and energy practice in Asia. Together with ( their banking and finance experience in all relevant countries in Asia makes them unique. It is truly a very international firm that provides complete comfort with customers. That feeling of safety together with a talk tired practice makes you always want to work with them. They are also very committed to their capped fees which are very important for Banks nowadays.’
‘Matthias Schemuth has been the leading partner in a recent transaction involving Hong Kong, China, and Indonesia, and his performance, availability, knowledge have been outstanding. His constant looking for solutions to make the important happen has been of the essence. His personal engagement has made all the difference. His long experience in international trade transactions Has made things happen.’
‘Naomi Hong, an associate at DLA Hong Kong has also proved essential for the success of closing a very important transaction for the Bank. Her deep knowledge of international trade transactions has proven unbeatable. Her long hours of dedication to making the deal, her ability to make the parties come to an agreement always protecting her customer has been amazing.’
ENN Energy Group
China Energy Investment Corp
Arctic Green Energy Corporation
- Representing German investment bank DZ Bank regarding its investments in textile and chemical processing plants in mainland China.
- Advising Iceland-based Arctic Green Energy Corporation in regards to its investments in mainland China.
- Advising Philippines-based development bank ADB on its financing of a coconut processing plant in Indonesia.
The 'professional' team at Fangda Partners has been advising lender-side and developer clients on cross-border LNG and renewable energy projects, with infrastructure and greenfield investment matters, also featuring prominently in the group's workload. Michael Tam heads the practice, in which Joe Biqing Zhou is a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
International Djibouti Industrial Parks Operation FZCO
Hong Kong Electric
- Advising Veolia on investments in water and waste treatment projects across China and Inner Mongolia.
- Advising Hong Kong Electric in relation to its operation and usage of the Guangdong Dapeng LNG Terminal.
- Advising International Djibouti Industrial Parks Operation FZCO on its investment in an industrial zone through its acquisition of an equity interest in a local company which owns the rights to develop the facilities in Djibouti.
Watson Farley & Williams' team, led by Linh Doan, is well known for handling high-profile project development and financing mandates for Vietnam-based clients, often with cross-border elements. Associate Edmund Poon is well versed in advising on project finance matters.
Other key lawyers:
The Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam
Asian Development Bank
- Assisting the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam with negotiations concerning a BOT contract for the on-going $2bn 750MW Dung Quat 2 gas-fired power project in Vietnam.
- Advising the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam on the development of Vinh Tan 3, a $2bn 1980MW coal-fired power plant project in Vietnam.
- Advising the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Vietnam on the development of Vung Ang 2, a $2.5bn 1200MW coal-fired power project in Vietnam.
The team at Dechert 'has a deep understanding of the industry' and is especially strong in handling cross-border mandates for clients in the oil and gas sector. Other areas of instruction for the group include LNG, upstream, downstream, and renewable energy power projects. Xiao Yong is the main practitioner to note.
- Advised Sinopec on its joint venture with Russian petrochemical company SIBUR for the development of the Amur Petrochemical Project.
- Assisting Sinopec with its ongoing proposed divestment of significant oil assets in Argentina.
Gibson Dunn is well versed in assisting Philippines-based power corporations and government entities with project finance and development work. Energy, infrastructure, and transport are key sector strengths for the team. Patricia Tan Openshaw, noted for her expertise in handling project development mandates, leads the practice, in which of counsel Cristina Uy-Tioco is a name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation
SMC Mass Rail Transit 7
The Republic of the Philippines
San Miguel Holdings
- Assisting Manila Electric Company with ongoing matters concerning its winning bid for the management of and investments in the Electricity Company of Ghana.
- Advised Metro Pacific Tollways Corporation on its acquisition of a 24.98% stake worth $67m in the Indonesian toll-road operator PT Margautama Nusantara (MUN), marking the client’s full ownership of MUN.
King & Wood Mallesons
At King & Wood Mallesons, the team continues to assist Evernal Energy with all aspects of the development of a floating storage and regasification unit for LNG in Southern China; the project involves LNG procurement from Australia, Qatar, and Indonesia, as well as establishing an LNG trading structure in Singapore. Sam Farrands, who is well known for his expertise in advising on projects across a range of energy sectors, is the main practitioner to note.
Ningxia Tianyuan Logistics Group
Bouygues Batiment International
Dragages Hong Kong
Melco Resorts & Entertainment
David Blumental heads up the team at Latham & Watkins LLP which acts for international energy entities and investment companies in multi-national, high-value acquisitions and investments, most recently in the oil and gas, solar, wind, and LNG power sectors.
Energy Transfer Partners
Guohua Energy Investment
Harbin Electric International
Korea Southern Power
Shanghai Zhenhua Heavy Industries
- Assisting Harbin Electric International with the implementation of the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract and the construction of the 2400MW Hassyan clean coal power project in Dubai.
- Advised Guohua Energy Investment on its successful acquisition of four operating wind power projects in Greece.