Clyde & Co LLP's team is well known for its strength in both contentious and non-contentious insurance matters. Recent instructions include employee compensation claims, regulatory issues, and occupiers' and aviation liability matters. The client base includes insurers, financial institutions, and brokers. Simon McConnell leads the practice, which includes aviation expert Peter Coles; Patrick Perry, who has expertise in construction insurance; Mun Yeow, a key name for contentious insurance work; Joyce Chan, who is very experienced in advising financial institutions on corporate and regulatory insurance matters; and senior associate Michelle Ho, who has experience advising international insurers on professional indemnity matters.
Insurance in Hong Kong
Clyde & Co LLP
The insurance team at Kennedys has been kept busy handling contentious work, with particular focus on healthcare claims and financial-related insurance issues. The practice also has established strength in advising on construction claims. Rupert Skrine is well versed in advising on professional negligence claims; he shares leadership of the practice with Richard Bates and Meiling Yip. Joanie Ko has expertise in financial and cyber-related insurance work.
Other key lawyers:
Mayer Brown's practice is strong in both non-contentious and contentious insurance work. In the case of the former, the team handles large-scale transactional matters; in the latter area, high-profile motor and construction fatality-related claims and regulatory issues have been prominent in the group's workload. Names to note are Angela Yim, who has extensive expertise in insurance litigation; Marina Fung, who is well versed in advising on public and motor liability matters; and Tow Lu Lim, who handles professional indemnity and cybersecurity-related insurance work.
- Advising multiple international insurers on coverage issues arising from property damage caused during the ongoing Hong Kong protests.
- Advising the motor vehicle insurers of Citybus in respect of ongoing claims arising from a motor accident.
The insurance team at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is noted for its established capabilities in transactional work, with a core focus on high-value M&A mandates, often with cross-border elements. Edwin Northover shares leadership of the practice with international counsels Allison Lee and Shanghai-based Tingting Wu. Associate Jan Buschmann has expertise in handling reinsurance matters and regulatory issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team provides high quality, practical, and focused legal advice‘.
‘One of the best firms for cross-border insurance M&A‘.
- Assisted FWD Group with its acquisition of MetLife Limited and Metropolitan Life Insurance Company of Hong Kong from US-based company MetLife.
- Advised FWD Group on its acquisition of Vietcombank-Cardif Life Insurance, a life insurance joint venture between Vietcombank and BNP Paribas Cardif.
- Advising AIA on setting up a partnership with AYA Financial Group and Max Myanmar Group, in order to establish a life insurance project in Myanmar.
Antony Sassi leads the insurance practice at RPC, which counts construction, tech, and financial-related insurance work as core strengths, and is equally adept at handling professional indemnity defence mandates. Senior consultant David Smyth and the 'incredibly bright' Carmel Green have expertise in contentious insurance matters.
‘Antony Sassi is the pre-eminent professional indemnity and D&O coverage counsel in Hong Kong. Incisive, not afraid to tell it like it is.’
‘RPC Hong Kong understand insurers’ requirements to provide advice for complex matters in a clear and very user-friendly way.’
‘Carmel Green is a go-to specialist insurance lawyers in Hong Kong advising on disputes in South East Asia. Carmel is incredibly bright, articulating complex factual and legal issues in a straightforward user-friendly way. She doesn’t pull any punches.’
- Defending BDO against claims in ongoing litigation brought by timber company Sino-Forest concerning alleged negligence by the client during the course of audits of the group’s financial statements, resulting in alleged monetary loss.
- Assisting an international life insurance company with restructuring its operations in Indonesia.
Baker McKenzie's 'very hands-on' team has been kept especially busy handling regulatory insurance issues and restructuring mandates for a client base of international and domestic insurers and governmental bodies. The 'very personable' practice head Martin Tam is 'very practical in providing solutions in complex transactions'.
‘Martin Tam is very practical in providing solutions in complex transactions‘.
Hong Kong Federation of Insurers
- Assisting MetLife with the sale of its Hong Kong life insurance business to FWD Management.
- Assisted a reinsurance company with restructuring its business in Hong Kong.
Alfred Tam is the key contact at Deacons, which is very experienced in handling a broad range of contentious insurance work; past areas of instruction include catastrophic injuries, occupiers' liability cases, product liability, and regulatory insurance matters.
Howse Williams is well known for handling professional indemnity defence work, and is also noted for its strength in healthcare matters, for example advising pharmaceutical companies on drug liability claims. Marine insurance is another area of expertise for the team. Chris Howse is the main name.
Marine insurance work forms the backbone of Ince's practice, however, the team is also adept at handling reinsurance matters and regulatory issues; Rosita Lau is noted for her expertise in regulatory work, and is well versed in representing aviation insurers. Lau shares leadership of the practice with Kelvin Lee, who heads up the firm's North Asia insurance and reinsurance practice and is well known for handling machinery breakdown cases and coverage disputes concerning marine hull and marine cargo policies.
Norton Rose Fulbright has particular strength in cross-border M&A transactions, and reports an uptick in instructions involving regulatory issues; Etelka Bogardi is very experienced in advising insurance companies on financial regulatory matters. Emma de Ronde and James Parker lead the practice.
Other key lawyers:
China Reinsurance Group
- Represented insurance provider Fusion Specialty as underwriter of a $230m M&A transaction, involving the acquisition of four Chinese real estate assets, in order for the client to set up buy-side warranty and indemnity insurance policies.
- Representing Chubb as underwriter of an M&A transaction involving the acquisition of a real estate asset in Singapore, for the purpose of setting up a buy-side warranty and indemnity insurance policy.
Herbert Smith Freehills
Gareth Thomas and corporate law specialist Tommy Tong lead Herbert Smith Freehills' insurance practice, which is well versed in handling contentious insurance work, and also counts transactional mandates, for example, joint ventures and M&A, and regulatory matters as key areas of expertise.
‘Hardworking, responsive, and commercial.’
‘Gareth Thomas is very capable.’
Reed Smith Richards Butler
Asha Sharma leads Reed Smith Richards Butler's insurance team, which is very active in shipping-related insurance litigation, and has also been kept busy handling professional negligence claims. Insurance regulatory matters are another area of expertise for the group.
‘Reed Smith has a strong backup for the insurance field. Most of the team members are well experienced to deal with insurance issues including litigation, compliance, M&A of our association, policy wording, and strategy to bargain with the Insurance Authority.’
‘Reed Smith responds to any inquiries promptly. Especially Mrs. Asha’s team, they are familiar with our executive members and understand what we need, and work with us closely so that most of our problems can be solved efficiently.’