King & Wood Mallesons' 'highly specialised' team, led by 'pre-eminent construction lawyer' Paul Starr, counts high-value construction disputes as a core strength of the practice, and is also noted for its strong capabilities in handling non-contentious work, particularly tender submissions and contractual matters. Competition law matters are another area of instruction for the group. Sam Farrands, who is noted for his expertise in project mandates, and 'accomplished' disputes expert Donovan Ferguson, are also key contacts.
Construction in Hong Kong
King & Wood Mallesons
‘A very strong bench of experienced lawyers‘.
‘They have strength in numbers and depth at all levels‘.
‘This well-resourced and vastly experienced team is highly responsive and very commercial, providing quick, efficient and in-depth analysis of any problem‘.
‘Paul Starr is a pre-eminent construction lawyer; he has an unparalleled knowledge of construction law and a canny grasp of winning strategies‘.
‘Paul Starr – as his name suggests, a ‘top gun’ with many, many years of experience. Great with clients and has an encyclopaedic knowledge of his field‘.
‘Donovan Ferguson is an accomplished partner‘.
Dragages Hong Kong
Hong Kong Competition Commission
- Assisting Bouygues Batiment and Dragages Hong Kong with a range of ongoing tender submission matters concerning the development and operation of an integrated sports precinct in Kai Tak.
- Representing Ningxia Tianyuan Logistics Group in ongoing negotiations with the Ministry of Railway Development in Ghana regarding a Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) agreement for developing Ghana’s Western rail line.
Vincent Connor and Dean Lewis jointly lead the construction practice at Pinsent Masons, which has established strength in assisting contractor clients with high-profile infrastructure projects. Other recent areas of instruction include arbitration mandates and contractual matters. Legal director Tim Hallworth, construction specialist Peter Clayton, Nicholas Turner, who is noted for his expertise in advising on procurement matters, and Alvin Ho, who is well versed in handling infrastructure disputes, are names to note.
‘Vincent Connor is a strategist who looks for a solution in a comprehensive manner‘.
‘Dean Lewis is a straight talker who wastes no time in getting to the crux of a construction dispute. Nothing escapes him. He knows the Hong Kong construction market inside out‘.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (HK) LLP
The 'well established' construction team at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (HK) LLP is very well known for its expertise in advising across a broad spectrum of non-contentious and contentious infrastructure matters. Ilan Freiman has established strength in representing government bodies and public sector entities in complex urban development projects; he shares leadership of the practice with Glenn Haley, who 'provides pragmatic and astute advice' and is 'committed to his clients'. Mike Docherty and Patrick Daley, both counsel, are also recommended.
‘Good bench strength and depth of experience across the team. Always accessible and responsive‘.
‘Glenn Haley is one of the pre-eminent construction lawyers in Hong Kong‘.
‘Mike Docherty always brings a cool head to problems‘.
West Kowloon Cultural District Authority
- Advising WKCDA on procurement for the Arts Commerce Exhibitions PPP Project or ACE Project, Advising on the ACE Project from June 2018. Responsible for preparing the full suite of tender documentation for the ACE Project, which is being procured on a PPP basis.
- Represented Macquarie Capital / the Green Investment Group (Macquarie) on the sale of a 49% interest in the 376 MW Formosa 2 offshore wind farm (Formosa 2) to a subsidiary of JERA Co., Inc. (JERA). Formosa 2 is currently in construction and commercial operations are scheduled to commence at the end of 2020.
Hogan Lovells' construction practice is led by Timothy Hill, who is highly regarded for his expertise in contentious construction mandates, as well as handling contractual matters in the space. Former civil engineer Damon So is well versed in advising contractors on arbitration. Counsel Joyce Leung is also a name to note.
Geoffrey Chan leads the construction team at Mayer Brown. The group has notable strength in arbitration, and advises clients from the financial services, hospitality, transport, and public sectors on a range of matters. Menachem Hasofer, Mei Ling Lew, Venna Cheng, and counsel Felicia Lee are also key names.
Hong Kong Jockey Club
- Advising the Hong Kong Jockey Club on the construction of a facility for training thoroughbred racehorses.
- Represented a contractor in arbitration arising from a construction dispute concerning a residential development project in Macau.
- Acted for MTR Corporation in an inquiry into alleged defective construction work at the Hung Hom station extension on the Sha Tin-Central link railway project.
Cocking & Co LLP
Cocking & Co LLP's practice 'is staffed with construction heavyweights' and is noted for its 'extensive experience in construction arbitration and litigation'. The group has been especially busy handling arbitration mandates concerning public sector projects. The 'highly knowledgeable' practice head Ian Cocking is 'a construction colossus' who 'handles some of the most complex construction disputes in the region'; the 'client-focused' Dennis Wong has particular expertise in complex contractual disputes. Gilbert Kwok joined from Clyde & Co LLP in July 2020.
‘Cocking & Co punch well above their weight and bring an experienced yet fresh team to the market‘.
‘Ian Cocking’s strategic vision is first-rate and he is someone you always want in your corner‘.
‘Dennis Wong is an outstanding construction practitioner‘.
Chun Fai Kee Engineering
AMTD Group Company
Konwall Construction & Engineering
- Representing Chun Fai Kee Engineering in litigation against a sub-contractor concerning a cement plant construction project.
- Acting for AMTD Group Company in a dispute arising out of a renovation project of the company’s headquarters in Hong Kong.
Deacons has been especially active in arbitration work, and has also been kept busy assisting contractors and developers with a range of construction disputes. The team is led by Kwok Kit Cheung; arbitration expert Joseph Chung and Justin Yuen are names to note.
‘The team provides good, quick and practical advice‘.
Ching Lee Engineering
Kwan On Construction Company
Cheung Hing Construction Company
- Acting for Kwan On Construction Company and its subsidiary, Univic, in a High Court action against two sub-contractors regarding alleged breaches of a sub-contract with Univic concerning landslip prevention work.
May Ng and Harris Chan jointly lead the construction team at DLA Piper, which has a solid track record representing prominent clients in a range of contentious mandates. Of counsel Sandy Au is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are well established and connected across the sector; they provide pragmatic insight and accessible strategic guidance‘.
Minter Ellison's 'responsive, diligent, and detail-oriented' construction team has been especially active in contentious work, and counts construction projects as another key area of expertise. The group is jointly led by Steven Yip, who is well versed in advising on construction disputes, and the 'talented, proactive and hardworking' Malcolm Chin.
‘The team is very specialized in construction disputes and litigation matters‘.
‘Malcolm Chin is detailed and responsible, without losing focus on the bigger picture to get the best results for the client‘.
‘Steven Yip provides authoritative, commercial, and practical advice‘.
Hong Kong Housing Authority
PYPUN-KD & Associates
China Road and Bridge Corporation
China Harbour Engineering Company
- Acted for PYPUN-KD & Associates in the inquiry into alleged defective construction works at the Hung Hom station on the Sha Tin-Central railway link project; the inquiry concluded that the client had complied with its contractual obligations.
- Acting for Leighton Contractors (Asia) in a dispute concerning a claim for costs regarding a construction project at the Hong Kong International Airport under an alleged sub-contract.
The team at HFW is noted for its strong capabilities in construction-related disputes, and continues to act for government authorities in long-running arbitration mandates. Martin Downey, who is well known for his expertise across a range of construction matters, leads the practice, which includes arbitration expert Ben Bury.
Other key lawyers:
Contentious work - including arbitration - forms a core pillar of Norton Rose Fulbright's practice; the team has particular strength in representing construction companies and contractor clients in shareholder and contractual disputes. Alfred Wu ('a class act') leads the team; counsel Anita Fong and associate Muriel Cheng are also active in this space.
‘Alfred Wu is an experienced construction lawyer, who benefits from his previous life as an engineer. One of the most approachable lawyers you could meet but he also has a steely side and can be a formidable opponent‘.
Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings
Cheung Kee Fung Cheung Construction
Hsin Chong Aster Building Services
- Represented Champ Prestige in a longrunning multimillion-dollar shareholder dispute regarding an investment in and development of a skyscraper in Miami.
- Representing Hsin Chong Aster Building Services in an ongoing multimillion-dollar dispute regarding the recovery of an outstanding contractual payment.