Honduras' oldest IP boutique Bufete Casco has a long history of advising major multinationals - particularly from the technology and pharmaceutical sectors - on IP prosecution and portfolio management in the country. The team has extensive experience in patent, trade mark and copyright matters; Beatriz Casco de Martínez focuses particularly on patents, while managing partner Leonardo Pablo Casco handles day-to-day trade mark matters. Leonardo Casco Fortin is highly renowned for his IP experience.
Intellectual property in Honduras
Leonardo Casco Fortin
Bufete Mejía & Asociados
The highly experienced Ricardo Mejía leads the practice at specialist IP firm Bufete Mejía & Asociados, which advises on contentious and non-contentious trade mark, patent, copyright and domain name matters throughout Central America. The team is also noted for its expertise in health registrations and the IP aspects of advertising law.
Aguilar Castillo Love is experienced in the registration and renewal of trade marks in Honduras and across Central America, working closely with the firm's other regional offices, and is praised for offering 'a single client contact who has all the information about the case'. The team also stands out for its expertise in IP litigation and its advice on the IP aspects of commercial contracts, regularly combining these strengths to handle disputes over the protection of IP rights in distribution agreements. Carolina Aguirre Larios, who focuses on IP filings and registrations, and the coordination of regional portfolios, leads the team with Juan José Alcerro Milla, who is particularly active in contentious matters.
Carolina Aguirre Larios; Juan José Alcerro Milla
‘The firm provides a good service.’
‘They have teams in all the countries in Central America, with a single client contact who has all the information about the case.’
INFARMA (Industria Farmaceutica)
Astra Honduras (TENGO)
Supermercados La Colonia
Méndez Compañía de Comercio
- Advising pharmaceutical company Infarma on the filing and registration of trade marks in Honduras and Central America.
- Assisting Audio Video, part of the multimedia company Grupo America Medios, with trade mark filings and registrations.
- Advising Astra Honduras on the registration of its TENGO brand in Honduras and Central America, as well as representing the client in trade mark oppositions.
Highly regarded firm Arias is particularly active in the management of IP portfolios, both locally and regionally, for major international clients from the food, pharmaceuticals, automotive, fashion, cosmetics and retail sectors, to name but a few. The team focuses mainly on the registration of patents and trade marks, but also has experience in copyright infringement matters and in handling opposition proceedings before the Honduras Intellectual Property Office. Sonia Urbina, who was promoted to partner in September 2021, heads the team, bringing significant expertise in trade mark and patent registrations and trade mark enforcement to the table. However former senior associate Gissel Zalavarria left the firm in April 2021.
‘What sets Arias Honduras apart is the speed of their service, added to their comprehensive technical understanding of intellectual property. What matters to in-house lawyers is how clearly firms convey this knowledge. In this sense, Arias stands out from other firms in the market.’
‘Sonia Urbina and Gissel Zalavarria handle trade mark matters for us in Honduras. They have an extensive knowledge of the field and the ability to confidently resolve any issues.’
Procter & Gamble
Clarke Modet & Co.
Marks & Clerk
Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg
Arochi & Lindner
Boehringer Ingelheim International
Herzog Fox & Neeman
- Managing the patent portfolio of Monsanto Technology.
- Overseeing Procter & Gamble’s IP portfolio, including carrying out a large records change for P&G Health Germany.
- Managing the patent portfolio of Boehringer Ingelheim International.
A '360-degree lawyer' with expertise in both contentious and non-contentious IP matters, Fernando Godoy leads the practice at BLP, which focuses on the registration and renewal of trade marks and trade mark infringement claims. The team manages large trade mark portfolios for a range of domestic, regional and international brands, counting household names from the technology, cosmetics, food and beverages, healthcare and chemical industries among its clients. Godoy is supported by senior associate Jorge Kafati, who assists with obtaining licences and health registrations from the Health Regulation Agency of Honduras (ARSA), and associate Stephany Padilla.
‘The team is always available and offers a personalised service.’
‘Fernando Godoy is a 360-degree lawyer who is as strong for corporate law as for intellectual and industrial property matters, which gives him a clear overall perspective on clients’ matters. He always keeps the clients’ best interests in mind.’
‘They have a lot of knowledge about their subject and provide punctual advice on matters regarding trade marks and their registration.’
‘Fernando Godoy is available to assists us, no matter what the time or type of query.’
British American Tobacco
General Cable (Prysmian)
AR Holdings (Forever 21)
- Handling all of Dennemeyer &Co’s local registrations, annuity payments and renewals.
- Advised Laboratorios Finlay on a cancellation action filed by Hoffmann-La Roche against the trade mark Polivit, based on the intention of registering the trade mark Polyvi.
- Advising on all of Colgate’s local trade mark registrations.
Dentons Muñoz Zacapa
The Honduras branch of global firm Dentons, Dentons Muñoz Zacapa has a strong international client base, and also handles IP matters for other regional firms without offices in Honduras. The team advises predominantly on trade mark registrations and oppositions, in addition to assisting with sanitary registrations, and is developing a sports and entertainment practice to provide IP-related advice on image and marketing rights in these sectors. Managing partner Arturo Zacapa, who has experience in trade mark, patent, copyright and regulatory matters, leads the team with Gustavo Zacapa and director Milena Picado, who joined from the Costa Rica office in January 2020 and is highly active in the management of multinational IP portfolios.
Gustavo Zacapa; Arturo Zacapa; Milena Picado
‘Dentons Muñoz Zacapa is always proactive and immediately available.’
‘Arturo Zacapa is a lawyer who is always there to assist his clients and demonstrates great professionalism and experience.’
Well-established IP boutique Bufete Durón advises an extensive roster of international clients on the filing and prosecution of trade marks, patents, utility models, industrial designs and health registrations, among others. In addition, the firm handles IP litigation, including unfair competition and anti-counterfeiting actions. Lucía Durón, who has notable experience in trade mark and industrial property-related matters, leads the practice.
García & Bodán
Multinationals from the cosmetics, energy, pharmaceutical, food and beverages, telecoms and fashion sectors make up a large part of the client base of García & Bodán, which also advises a number of local entrepreneurs and start-up businesses on IP matters. The firm is active in the management of regional IP portfolios, assisting its other Central American offices with the filing and enforcement of IP rights. Health registrations are also a key area of expertise. Practice co-head Graciela Cruz is experienced in IP and health registrations and portfolio management, and as part of AmCham Honduras' IP Committee she regularly advises customs agents on the identification of counterfeit products. Her fellow co-head Julio Vargas is based in El Salvador.
Graciela Cruz; Julio Vargas
Comlade – Lala
- Acting for Fox, the US-based global cable television network, in several actions to enforce its IP rights against local cable operators.
- Managing the trade mark portfolio of Mexican and Argentinian pharmaceutical companies Laboratorios Laboratorios Bagó, Bago Group and Armstrong Labotorios de México.
- Assisting Cargill with the procurement and maintenance of all required health registrations and licences for its various products in Honduras.
Casco & Casco
Boutique firm Casco & Casco assists national and international clients with a wide range of IP matters, including trade mark, patent, copyright and health registrations, unfair competition and infringement claims, and anti-counterfeiting litigation. Senior partner Jorge Omar Casco Zelaya is the key contact.
The 'organised, focused and accomplished' team at Consortium Legal handles the management of IP portfolios in Honduras and Central America, particularly for clients from the pharmaceutical, construction and cosmetics sectors, and regularly works alongside the regional firm's other offices. Its client base is predominantly made up of multilatinas, although the team also provides pro bono advice to local entrepreneurs on the IP issues related to setting up a business. Senior associate Sandra Amaya leads the practice and has broad experience in trade mark, patent and copyright matters.
‘The handling of our matters has been exceptional. The lawyers are organised, focused and accomplished, with a great deal of experience in this area of law. We have received practical and accurate advice in every one of our cases.’
‘The team stands out for its personalised client service, willingness to consider new strategies and options, and focus on the task at hand.’
Laboratorios Quimico Farmaceuticos Lancasco
CMI IP Holding
- Advises Arabela on the protection and maintenance of its large portfolio of trade marks and health records.
- Advised Groupo Farmagua on the renewal of the Meykos trade mark following its merger with Meykos and Commercial Mexgua.
- Acted for Televisa in an infringement case relating to the registered trade mark De Pelicula.
Global firm ECIJA specialises in the defence of IP rights, representing regional clients and the local subsidiaries of international companies in infringement claims and disputes over the IP aspects of distribution agreements. In addition, it assists in contentious matters for its associated office, IP boutique Bufete Casco. The team also advises on the registration and renewal of trade marks, the payment of annuities and protection against counterfeiting. Roberto Williams, who has extensive IP litigation experience, leads the team.
The Coffee Cup Franchise
- Acted for DHL Honduras in requesting the cessation of the use of the DHL brand by a Honduran company offering the shipment and delivery of DHL packages without the client’s authorisation.
- Advised Distribuidora Garesa on its application for the registration of the trade mark La condesa y diseño, and on the opposition to the trade mark by the Swiss company Chocosuisse Verband Schweizerischer Schokoladefabrikanten, in coordination with the Swiss government, due to the design’s similarity to the Swiss flag.
- Brought a criminal judicial action against the Honduran company Franquicias Múltiples on behalf of Salvadoran company Quality Grains over its use of the trade mark The Coffee Cup.