Insurance in Guernsey
Bedell Cristin enjoys a strong reputation in the insurance-linked securities arena, regularly handling the formations, transfers, amendments and delistings of such instruments. Practice head Richard Sharp advises on captive insurance structures and pension risk transfers, while of counsel Mark Helyar is a prominent name in the developing field of insurance and investment convergence structures. The team also provides regulatory assistance with corporate transactions in the sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Richard Sharp is helpful and readily available‘
‘Richard Sharp is extremely responsive with an exceptional turnaround time‘
Carey Olsen’s insurance team is particularly known for its reputation advising on insurance-related M&A deals, with the team handling the regulatory aspects of a number of significant transactions in this sector. Practice heads Christopher Anderson and Konrad Friedlaender have significant experience handling captive insurance structuring and multi-jurisdictional reinsurance transfers, deploying local regulatory expertise. The practice retains a large quantity of insurers on its client roster and regularly receives referrals from leading UK-based law firms.
Christopher Anderson; Konrad Friedlaender
‘Responsive, knowledgeable and responds quickly and efficiently‘
Marsh Management Services Guernsey Limited
Sinarmas Land Limited
Prudential Assurance Ltd
Phoenix Life Insurance Ltd
Aviva Life & Pensions
Euroben Life & Pensions
Cigna Corp/Express Scripts
- Advising Cigna Corp with the regulatory aspects of its merger with Express Scripts.
- Represented Marsh in the acquisition of all of the issued management shares in the core of Hector Insurance PCC.
Mourant has a particular strength in handling long-term insurance policy transfers, with the team being instructed by leading insurance companies on some of the most significant recent deals. John Lewis and Helen Wyatt are recognised as leading lawyers in the insurance field, regularly advising on the structuring and acquisition of captive insurance vehicles, insurance-linked securities and regulatory elements of corporate transactions. The client list is comprised of multinational insurance companies and locally-held captive insurance companies, while Gordon Dawes and Chantal Barrett are the names to note for insurance-related litigation.
Alternative Risk Management
Artex Risk Solutions
Aon Insurance Managers (Guernsey)
Equity Insurance (ERS)
Generali Worldwide Insurance Company
Insurance Corporation of the Channel Islands
Legal & General
Marsh Management Services Guernsey
States of Guernsey
The Medical Protection Society (including Dental Protection Limited)
The Medical Defence Union
The Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland
Willis Towers Watson Management (Guernsey)
- Acted for AXA concerning the change of control of a licensee under the Insurance Business (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, arising from the client’s acquisition of the XL Group.
- Advising on the transfer of a portfolio of long-term insurance business from Abbey Life Assurance to Phoenix Life.
- Advising on the transferral of a portfolio of long-term insurance business from Blackrock Life to Scottish Equitable.
- Representing the States of Guernsey via its insurer (the Insurance Corporation of the Channel Islands) in defence of all insured claims of substance brought against the Government.
- Acting for Equity Insurance (and a number of other large UK-based insurers) on claims arising from insurance-backed risks in Guernsey.
WALKERS has recently experienced a significant expansion of its insurance offering following the addition of renowned insurance expert Kate Storey from Appleby. The full-service practice provides leading advice on the establishment and administration of captive insurance vehicles, insurance-linked securities and alternative risk transfer transactions, collateralised reinsurance transactions and general regulatory advice. On the corporate side, the firm handles M&A transactions, joint venture terminations and the creation of insurers in the Guernsey market.
‘A dedicated team with recognised expertise and a proven ability to solve problems as well as providing practical advice‘
‘Kate Storey is an acknowledged expert in the area of pension longevity‘
Clare Management Company
ClaRe PCC Limited
Avantis Limited (formerly Heritage Group)
Gower Financial Services
- Advising on the structuring of investment by insurance-linked securities investors into an innovative hybrid investment/insurance protected cell company structure, ClaRe PCC, which reinsures Lloyd’s syndicates and other insurance and non-insurance companies.
- Recently acted as lead counsel for Avantis on the sale of Heritage Insurance Brokers to Artex Risk Solutions.
Appleby’s insurance offering has a particular focus on providing the firm’s corporate clients with Guernsey-specific insurance law and regulation advice concerning global M&A transactions. The practice also has expertise in insurance-linked securities and regularly provides advice on the licensing process and requirements for establishing insurance intermediaries in Guernsey.
Ogier’s insurance offering sits firmly in the firm’s corporate and commercial practice and has the ability to provide Guernsey-specific insurance law and regulatory advice, including on competition law's application to the industry. Bryon Rees' expertise includes advising incorporated insurers on their Guernsey domiciliation exercises and the team also provides regulatory advice on the establishment and administration of captive insurance cell companies.
Byron Rees, Simon Davies, Mathew Newman, Craig Cordle
- Advised Assicurazioni Generali on the €420 million sale of a Guernsey licensed insurer (with branches worldwide) and investment licensee subsidiary to Life Company Consolidation Group.
- Guernsey legal adviser to EEA Life Settlements Fund PCC Limited, which invests in life insurance policies primarily issued in the United States.
- Advised Burford Capital Limited on the creation of new Guernsey domiciled insurer Burford Worldwide Insurance Limited.
- Assisting Prudential with the restructuring of a cell of a protected cell company licenced under the Insurance Business (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law 2002 into a separate stand-alone protected cell company.