Drawing on 'very comprehensive, specific knowledge of real estate law', Alta QIL+4 Abogados advises on the financing and development of large-scale real estate projects, including related commercial and tax matters, and has been particularly active recently assisting clients with the renegotiation of lease agreements as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. The team also has extensive experience in the constitution of co-ownership regimes. The 'super professional' Eva Cacacho leads the team; she mainly advises major developers on the development, leasing and sale of residential, commercial and industrial projects. She is supported by a sizeable associate team, including Maria Fernanda Ovalle and Enrique Martínez Guzmán.
Real estate in Guatemala
‘They have a very well-rounded team with very comprehensive, specific knowledge of real estate law.’
‘Without a doubt, the team at QIL + 4 is head and shoulders above other firms with which we have worked, not only from a technical point of view or in terms of their legal knowledge, but also because of their attention and client service, organisation and, above all, availability.’
‘I would say that there are several factors that make QIL+4 stand out, but especially the following: the honesty and quality of its partners and directors, in addition of course to their deep knowledge of their field. Eva Cacacho and Enrique Martinez are super professional and accurate in their advice.’
‘The team at QIL + 4 Abogados stands out for its practical approach to our requests and its excellent understanding of our needs as clients. The work product is always excellent and stands out from other firms in terms of quality and delivery time.’
‘In the field of real estate law, Eva Cacacho stands out for her quick responses and total understanding of the needs of our company.’
Grupo Onyx (Centro Comercial Maderos)
Belluno (Taco Bell restaurants)
Minera San Rafael
Latin American Partners
Universidad del Valle de Guatemala
Hacienda Santa Isabel
Colegio Americano de Guatemala
- Advising C Top on the development of an office and commercial building in one of the most central areas of Guatemala.
- Assisting Dollarcity Guatemala with the negotiation and execution of seven long-term lease agreements for new premises.
- Advising Calidad Inmobilaria on the amendment of the ownership regime of a real estate project.
Real estate is a key focus for Lexincorp throughout the Central American region. The team advises on the financing and development of high-end residential and commercial projects, acting for both developers and financial institutions. It is also able to assist with related tax and administrative issues. Practice head José Andrés Fuxet is experienced in advising on the full range of real estate matters, from the acquisition of land and procurement of government permits and licences to the construction of the project and setting up special corporate regimes to sell the completed units. Gonzalo Menéndez González is also a key figure in the practice, mainly acting for commercial developers.
José Andrés Fuxet
- Advising Terrum Desarrollos on the legal structure for a commercial development project.
- Advising Centro Logístico Quetzal (Zona Libre Quetzal) on the development of a free trade zone industrial park.
- Advising Grupo Apolo on the development of a luxury housing building.
Real estate is among the areas of specialisation at Alegalis, which advises on the planning, permitting and commercialisation of major real estate projects, assisting with all associated commercial and financial issues, and has advised on some of Guatemala's largest developments. In addition, the team advises its sizeable client base of real estate developers on the construction of projects in Honduras, Costa Rica, Mexico and the US. During the pandemic, it has also assisted with the suspension of work and payments on ongoing projects. Founding partner Juan Antonio Mazariegos leads the team with director Andrés Rodríguez.
Juan Antonio Mazariegos; Andrés Rodríguez
‘The team’s strong points are their proactivity and assertiveness in cases.’
‘They provide a sense of security to clients, offer an excellent client service and resolve matters within the agreed timetable. Juan Antonio Mazariegos and Andrés Rodríguez are standout individuals.’
‘The firm has a very well-rounded team, including very experienced lawyers and those who are just starting their careers. They are very diligent, pay attention to detail, and are firm in their advice and respectful of the client’s opinions.’
‘The response times are very quick.’
Capital Buró Developments
Hospital Herrera Llerandi
- Advising Spectrum Vivienda on the development of several real estate projects, including Parque San Angel, Parque San Jorge and Parque 14.
- Advised Amaranto Inmobiliaria on obtaining the authorisation and construction permit for a real estate project near a high-risk area.
- Advising a large hospital on obtaining an expedited licence to separate its premises to protect patients during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Consortium Legal has extensive experience advising major local and regional developers on the development of commercial and mixed-use real estate projects. It has been particularly active lately advising on the acquisition of land for future developments, but also assists with agreements between the project developers and obtaining authorisations for projects from the regulatory authorities. Newly promoted partner Sandra García de Zedan leads the practice and advises on the sale and purchase of real estate, project development and related tax and administrative matters. Alfredo Rodríguez brings additional expertise in corporate and tax matters in the real estate sector to the team.
Sandra García de Zedan
Grupo Enalto (Plataforma)
- Advising Panamanian company Conservatorio on the land investigation efforts for the implementation of the Ciudad Pedrera project in Guatemala.
- Advising Fuente Roble (La Mar) on the development of a resort project on the Pacific coast of Guatemala.
- Advising the Milésimo group on the development of six new projects.
The 'efficient' and 'highly qualified' team at Sfera Legal counts many large domestic real estate companies among its clients, advising on the acquisition and long-term leasing of properties, as well as the tax-efficient structuring of real estate transactions and compliance with anti-corruption regulations. 'Excellent' senior associate Alejandro Solares Solares leads the team and is experienced in M&A involving real estate companies, the structuring and registering of condominium regimes and the leasing of large properties. Managing partner Ignacio Andrade Aycinena, who is highlighted for his 'great knowledge of the laws in Guatemala', is also a key figure in the practice.
Alejandro Solares Solares
‘Sfera has a very efficient team; all questions are very quickly answered with great accuracy and professionalism. I think Sfera is a much quicker and more organised firm than others I have worked with before.’
‘Alejandro Solares always keeps me up to date with every case and always sticks to the proposed schedule.’
‘Sfera has a team of highly qualified lawyers, with different specialisations within the real estate area, who are able to solve any problem that may arise in the best possible way.’
‘In addition to the high degree of specialisation, the customer service also stands out. Ignacio Andrade has great knowledge of the laws in Guatemala and Alejandro Solares is an excellent professional but also a very accessible person.’
‘The firm is made up of lawyers with different specialties, which makes it possible to cover all the possible issues that may arise. By having specialists in real estate who are supported by specialists in other areas such as tax and fiscal law or labour law, it can give the client a comprehensive view of the situation, no matter what type of purchase or real estate development they are working on.’
‘Friendly treatment and knowledge of the issues, which inspires confidence. Clients can leave a meeting with peace of mind, knowing they are in good hands.’
- Advised SBA Torres Guatemala on obtaining adverse possession declarations for sites purchased or with long-term leases of property in the eastern and western parts of the country.
A. D. Sosa & Soto's 'detail-oriented and hardworking' team has notable experience in the financing of commercial and residential real estate projects, as well as in obtaining zoning and construction permits. It also stands out for its 'excellent' advice on horizontal property regimes. The firm focuses on sustainable design and construction as a co-founder and member of the Guatemala Green Building Council. José Javier Soto, who is experienced in urban planning and real estate finance, leads the team alongside Rodolfo Sosa, with support from associate Rita Pérez.
Jose Javier Sosa; Rodolfo Sosa
‘They have a very detail-oriented and hardworking real estate department. Their advice on horizontal property regimes is excellent.’
‘They are organised, deliver work on time and are experienced in their field.’
Advance Business Services
- Advised Advance Business Services on the application of the condominium and horizontal property regulations to six residential buildings.
- Advising Arkadia on day-to-day issues relating to its shopping centre.
- Advising Vasanta Building on the acquisition of several properties and the financing and permitting required for the development of a large mixed-use project.
Bermejo & Bermejo
With '360-degree knowledge in the field of real estate', Bermejo & Bermejo is particularly noted for its expertise in the structuring of horizontal property regimes. The team also advises developers on the day-to-day aspects of real estate projects and assists an extensive client roster of municipal authorities and building administrations with co-ownership regimes and tenancy rules, including advising on Covid-related issues in the sector. At the helm of the practice, Juan Carlos Bermejo is experienced in local and international real estate transactions, while Luis Pedro Bermejo has particular expertise in zoning regulations.
Juan Carlos Bermejo; Luis Pedro Bermejo
‘They have comprehensive knowledge of legislation, regulations, taxes and business issues and bring all this together to come up with formal structuring plans suitable for the proposed businesses.’
‘Juan Carlos Bermejo stands out for his professionalism, serious approach, focus and practicality.’
‘The most important thing for us is empathy and knowing that our lawyers are honest people with well-founded values. That makes a relationship transparent and authentic. In this regard, Bermejo & Bermejo are excellent.’
‘They build up personal relationships with their clients. That’s what truly makes a team.’
‘Bermejo & Bermejo has a solid team with 360-degree knowledge in the field of real estate. Their skills and abilities are first rate, and they are knowledgeable and creative in their proposals for the management of real estate projects. They provide a comprehensive real estate service.’
‘Juan Carlos Bermejo understands all areas of real estate law. Luis Pedro Bermejo really knows the municipal and government legislation that is very important for the planning and development of projects.’
‘The experience they have in real estate matters is evident and is very important, both from a legal perspective and also in order to deal with the situation practically.’
‘Juan Carlos Bermejo has anticipated all our requirements and has always protected our interests in a professional and ethical manner.’
Holding Inmobiliario GT
Grupo Holding Inmobiliario
Deinco Desarrollo e Inversiones
Unio- Distribuciones Inteligentes (Grid)
Grupo Bahia Blanca
- Advised Sur Desarrollos on the development of a parking lot scheme.
- Advised Unio Distribuciones Inteligentes on the horizontal property regime for a mixed-use commercial, office and residential building.
- Advised Holding Inmobiliario Edificio Belencito on the horizontal property regime and tenancy rules for a residential property providing accommodation for young people.
Legalsa acts for a number of large Guatemalan real estate developers, advising on the financing and development of residential, commercial and hospitality properties (particularly high-end apartment and office buildings in Guatemala City). The team is also experienced in advising on the negotiation of lease agreements, especially for shopping centres and office complexes, horizontal property regimes and property disputes, and has seen an increase in work involving the renegotiation of rental agreements as a result of the pandemic. Founding partner David Font leads the team with senior associate Mónica Linares, while Johann Hartleben is experienced in real estate transactions.
David Font; Mónica Linares
- Advising a real estate developer on the development of several high-rise luxury apartment buildings in Guatemala City, including the 27-storey Torre Premiere Club building.
- Advising a Panamanian holding company on a joint venture with an infrastructure group to develop and construct a build-to-suit warehouse to be leased to a food company for use as a national distribution centre.
- Advised Hunter Warfield on the purchase of new office premises and the negotiation of its leasing arrangements.