Criminal law and disputes boutique Anagnostopoulos enjoys a market-leading reputation for handling cases involving corporate fraud, corruption, insider dealing, and tax and regulatory offences, in addition to asset tracing and recovery, money laundering and anti-competitive practices. Managing partner Ilias Anagnostopoulos is a household name in the market, overseeing a team which takes on both domestic and cross-border mandates and is also well equipped to advise on risk management. Clients include individuals and companies from a range of industries, including energy, defence, transport, construction, food, TMT, financial services, media and pharmaceuticals.
White-collar crime in Greece
Other key lawyers:
Alexandros Tsagkalidis; Jerina Zapanti
NOVARTIS HELLAS SA
ALPHA BANK SA
HELLENIC PETROLEUM SA
NATIONALE NEDERLANDEN HELLAS SA
ADIDAS HELLAS SA
OPAP GROUP SA
EUROP ASSISTANCE SA
ASTIR PALACE SA
JOHNSON & JOHNSON
- Advised Novartis Hellas on entering into a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) with the US Department of Justice regarding allegations of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations including bribery.
- Defended executives of Alpha Bank SA before the Athens Appeal Court against charges of serious offences.
- Represented LM Ericsson in criminal proceedings in Greece related to the procurement and execution of a defence programme.
Hailed as ‘the most efficient corporate criminal practice in Athens’, boutique firm Ioannis Giannidis Law Firm ‘combines an excellent knowledge of criminal law with an understanding of business and its risks’. The team has an excellent record in the full array of white-collar crime cases, including fraud and corruption matters, bringing a particularly distinguished level of expertise to tax, VAT and political cases. In Panagiotis Koureleas and founding partner Ioannis Giannidis, the practice ‘has two of the most outstanding criminal law practitioners in Greece’. Clients include financial institutions and funds, and numerous multinationals appear on the client roster, owing to Giannidis’ knowledge of criminal law in various jurisdictions, including France and Germany.
Other key lawyers:
Panagiotis Koureleas; Natasha Kaisari
‘Deep knowledge of criminal law and criminal procedural rules, deep knowledge of the Greek criminal legal environment, ethical approach, very strong experience in white-collar crime, very efficient and effective, very reputable and able to support international companies in the field of criminal law.’
‘High level of professionalism combined with strong knowledge of criminal law practice.’
‘The personality and country-wide recognition of Ioannis Giannidis make the difference.’
‘In our view this is the most efficient corporate criminal practice in Athens, which combines an excellent knowledge of criminal law and procedure with an understanding of business and its risks. They have a unique ability to deal with a case at an early stage and provide excellent advice in order to prevent the development of the case into something bigger. They are very responsive and can provide effective support everywhere in Greece.’
‘Panagiotis Koureleas is a natural-born talent in criminal law. He fully understands clients’ business objectives and is always ready to provide advice that will allow management to achieve these objectives. He is responsive, has in-depth knowledge, and he is not afraid to provide correct advice that management may not like if he thinks that will be of long-term benefit to the company. He is very sensitive to what happens inside the courtroom, understanding the prevailing climate.’
‘Ioannis Giannidis is extremely experienced, focused on the key points of the case and able to make complex matters easy to understand. The other professionals working with him are always available, very knowledgeable and able to develop his ideas.’
‘Ioannis Giannidis and Panagiotis Koureleas are two of the most outstanding criminal law practitioners in Greece. They have vast experience in white-collar crime with significant international clients.’
ELAIS – Unilever Hellas SA
Imerys Industrial Minerals Greece SA
Public Power Corporation
Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation
Trans Adriatic Pipeline AG
Heracles Group of companies, member of Lafargeholcim Group
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF)
Air Liquide Hellas
- Acting for Fraport Greece in litigation and providing advice relating to its day-to-day activities.
- Acting for Trans Adriatic Pipeline AG and advising on issues related to its day-to-day activity during the construction of the pipeline.
- Advising the board of directors of Piraeus Bank on complex criminal law issues for banks raised by the extensive changes to Greek criminal law and procedure introduced in 2019.
At PotamitisVekris Law Firm, the white-collar crime team focuses on breach of trust, tax, fraud, anti-money laundering and breach of privacy cases. Its lawyers also specialise in the criminal law aspects of regulated activities such as capital markets and competition matters. Department head Konstantinos Papadiamantis has a strong track record of acting for both executives and banks in fraud and breach of trust claims.
Other key lawyers:
Citibank International Plc
Charalambos Siganos (ex Vice President of Hellenic Post Bank)
Macedonian Thrace Brewery SA
GR Sarantis SA
- Successfully defended Andreas Georgiou (the former head of the Hellenic Statistical Authority) against accusations of false certification of the Greek debt.
- Successfully defended Charalampos Siganos, in his capacity as ex-vice president of Hellenic Post Bank, against allegations of breach of trust in major criminal proceedings related to the banking sector in Greece.
- Representing Folli Follie in claims against its founders, several former members of the board of directors, and other individuals who face criminal charges for fraud, forgery and money laundering.
Managing partner Kriton Metaxopoulos is the key contact for white-collar crime instructions at A. & K. Metaxopoulos & Partners Law Firm. He has a history of involvement not only in high-profile proceedings in Greece but also those in Italy, France, the UK, Romania, Eastern Europe and Lebanon. The team acts for both companies and leading executives in all manner of mandates from corporate fraud to financial crime.
Other key lawyers:
- Representing a Monaco-based high-net-worth individual involved in a high-value fraud, bankruptcy and white-collar crime case in several jurisdictions (Italy, the UK, Greece, France, Lebanon, Romania and former CIS countries).
- Representing the managing director of a large company in her dispute with the owners of this company in a complex penal and civil dispute.
- Represented a large company in a well-publicised case involving complex issues of civil and criminal law.
Recommended for its ‘professionalism and high level of responsiveness’, Bernitsas Law is adept in handling fraud, corruption, anti-bribery, breach of fiduciary duty and negligence proceedings, and the practice also has an emphasis on liability assessment. Managing partner Panayotis Bernitsas and Christos Paraskevopoulos jointly lead the team, which is particularly active in cases in the banking, pharmaceuticals, electronics, automobile, clothing and apparel sectors.
Panayotis Bernitsas; Christos Paraskevopoulos
‘Professionalism and high level of responsiveness.’
- Representing Kosmocar, a leading importer and distributor of Volkswagen, Skoda and Audi vehicles, in civil actions filed by consumers allegedly affected by software intended to optimise NOx emissions in certain vehicle models.
- Acted for AMPNI, a leading international marine fuel logistics company, in a complex dispute involving an investigation into the misappropriation of company assets and other issues.
- Acted for an insurance company under liquidation in disputes arising from a Greek business conducted via a special agent and the recovery of monies, data and information from a former agent.
At Dryllerakis & Associates, the team’s ‘expertise, in-depth knowledge and holistic approach is profound’ for clients relying on the group for assistance in cases concerning market abuse, insider dealings, money laundering and other financial fraud, in addition to corruption and unfair competition proceedings. The department is jointly headed by Gerassimos Apergis and Vassilis Constantinidis.
Gerassimos Apergis; Vassilis Constantinidis
‘The firm’s expertise, in-depth knowledge and holistic approach is profound. The practitioners are available 24/7.’
‘What sets the firm apart, beyond the deep knowledge of the team members, is the comfort they offer to their clients, especially in high-stakes cases, something that stems from the proficiency, 360-degree approach and profound ownership (beyond the typical client mandate) they demonstrate on each case.’
- Represented Greek and foreign defendants facing felony charges over an alleged international fraud scandal.
- Acted for representatives of a company before the Appellate Court for Felonies in more than ten cases related to alleged tax fraud and money laundering.
- Represented a major stock broking company in a claim filed by a major Greek bank related to a money laundering scandal in the early 2000s.
Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm is home to impressive ‘combined civil and criminal court expertise’. It is engaged on matters before all the courts and investigative authorities, including money laundering, bribery, forgery, sanctions, manslaughter by way of negligence, fraud and tax evasion cases. The team frequently acts on matters with a cross-border element and primarily leans towards plaintiff representation. The ‘exceptional’ John Kyriakides leads the department with Panos Alexandris and counsel Niki Orfanidou.
John Kyriakides; Panos Alexandris; Niki Orfanidou
‘Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm is one of the best law firms in Greece. We as a company are completely satisfied working with a team that always gives us a clear view of the legal matters.’
‘They deliver, meaning that in most cases we have won the case in court. I would like to mention John Kyriakides, who is an exceptional lawyer and has really helped our company resolve many legal issues during the last ten years.’
‘Combined civil and criminal court expertise; the ability to translate and communicate with English-speaking clients; willingness to travel for meetings.’
‘Good legal analysis and strong communication skills. They are able to explain the process and make clients feel at ease.’