Dryllerakis & Associates provides a comprehensive range of services to clients on tax matters, with its specialist team handling the full spectrum of matters, including tax planning, litigation, accounting law and transfer pricing. The practice is led by John Dryllerakis, who has substantial experience of advising on international financial transactions. Reflective of the growth of the practice, Nikolaia-Anna Lepida made partner, while John Papadakis and Dimitris Karavas were promoted to senior asssociate in 2021. Recent work included advising Eurobank S.A. and Eurobank Equities S.A on a claim against the Greek State over unduly paid taxes. Eleftherios Rantos is another name to note.
Tax in Greece
Other key lawyers:
Eleftherios Rantos; Nikolaia-Anna Lepida; Ioannis Papadakis; Dimitris Karavas
‘Clear and concise explanations, deep understanding of the customer, tailored made solutions specific to our own needs and understanding, organizational structure allowing customer to punch above own weight.’
‘Thoroughly satisfied with the level of service provided by the firm. John Dryllerakis; judgement, expertise, responsiveness, creativity, research skills, communication skills, availability.’
‘Dryllerakis & Associates have strong expertise in complex tax issues focusing on their clients’ needs and providing exceptional services. Efficient handling of cases and an agile approach to matters are key characteristics of their lawyers.’
‘The tax team at the firm possesses in-depth knowledge of the legal tax framework and our collaboration on complicated (as well as day-to-day) matters has been exceptional.’
‘They provide in-depth legal knowledge and practical experience.’
‘The firm is one of the most respected in the field of tax law by both authorities and professionals, with many years of experience, deep knowledge of all aspects of tax issues, continuous research and training and an impressive readiness to respond.’
‘Mr. John Dryllerakis is a pioneer of tax law, with unparalleled acumen and an ability to understand the specifics of each case, ready to offer the most custom-made solutions to any tax problem or question.’
ADECCO HR Group
AEGEAN AIRLINES S.A.
AQUILA Hotels Group
DAUFOOD HELLAS S.A.
FFH EUROLIFE INSURANCE GROUP
HELLENIC PETROLEUM Group
HENKEL HELLAS S.A.
HONDOS CENTER Department Stores
THESSALONIKI PORT AUTHORITY S.A.
- Represented Thessaloniki Authority S.A. before the Supreme Administrative Court in a successful two-stage litigation, involving a high-profile “pilot trial”, over the status of limitation of tax audits for companies with “clean” tax certificates by their auditors.
- Successfully represented Siemens Hellas S.A. in a long dispute over the results of a tax audit imposing stamp duties and disallowing transfer pricing expenses exceeding €50m.
- Successfully acted for Eurobank Equities S.A. before the Supreme Administrative Court in a dispute over the imposition of stamp tax upon the amounts of credit margin granted by the Company to its clients for Stock Exchange transactions, by invoking that said transactions fall within the scope of VAT under the relevant EU Directives and EJC case-law.
POTAMITISVEKRIS‘ group regularly represents high-profile clients in tax audits before the Greek courts. It also handles a wide ambit of non-contentious work for clients in sectors such as energy, real estate, private wealth, shipping, banking and pharmaceuticals. Practice head Aspasia Malliou is well-versed in advising on international tax planning, inheritance tax, capital gains tax and tax structures for families. The sizeable team was recently strengthened by the arrivals of Dimitra Katsipi and Dimitris Vasilakos from Tsourouflis & Associates and Mazars Athens respectively. Senior associate Maria Kilatou is also a notable contact.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Kilatou; Evgenia Thomopoulou; Mariana Galegalidou
‘Exceptional performance by A.Malliou and M.Kilatou.’
‘My dealings with them were primarily in the areas of tax and succession planning. I found their tax partner, in particular, to be very practical and hands-on in her advice and very responsive to real needs. A creative and innovative thinker.’
- Advised AstraZeneca SA on the handling of tax issues pertaining to tax treatment of obligitory rebates to be granted by Greek pharmaceutical companies to the public medical and health insurance funds or the National Organization’s for the Provision of Healthcare Services.
- Represented Bank of Cyprus in tax litigation proceedings pertaining to the exemption of transfer taxation in Greece, with an approximate value of €16m.
- Advised on a tax family structure, providing tax planning and corporate tax restructuring services.
Zepos & Yannopoulos is best known for winning landmark tax cases for its clients. Its recent work included successfully representing Bayer Hellas at the Supreme Court in a claim concerning stamp duty assessment on company loans. The sizeable team is led by Yerassimos Yannopoulos, who has experience of handling tax structuring for Greek and non-Greek business owners and investors. Senior associate Ioanna Tapeinou joined the firm from PwC in January 2021, with partner Costas Kallideris having moved in the opposite direction in September 2020. Elina Filippou is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Zoupa; Alex Karopoulos; Elina Filippou; Marina Allamani; Daphne Cozonis; Anna Paraskeva; Dimitris Gialouris; Ioanna Tapeinou
‘Partners and associates who interacted with me have all been excellent. They listen carefully, are available, precise and quick in their response.’
‘The tax team at Zepos & Yannopoulos is very specialised, with deep knowledge of tax matters. They are always informed about the latest amendments in laws and regulations and offer great advice to clients.’
‘Elina Filippou has great understanding of international tax developments and can advise on tax aspects of multinational transactions.’
‘Great professional team, focused on the client.’
‘Alex Karopoulos, great tax law knowledge. Understanding of commercial aspects and multinational companies’ rationale.’
‘Yerassimos Yannopoulos is the dean of tax law in Greece, always on top of developments in a fast changing field. Alex Karopoulos has an excellent grasp of business and is an effective communicator.’
‘The Zepos & Yannopoulos team have welcomed me as a new client. Their knowledge is second to none. Extremely proactive, prompt replies to queries and makes their clients feel comfortable. Always accessible to call.’
‘Marina Allamani deals with my tax requirements and she has been outstanding since day one. Marina is motivated, proactive, professional and above all knowledgeable.’
AMADEUS HELLAS SA
AQUILA CAPITAL MANAGEMENT GMBH
CHIQUITA BANANA COMPANY
- Represented Bayer and won the final annulment at Supreme Court of a €130m stamp tax assessment.
- Advised PPCS.A. in connection with the inaugural international offering of €650m sustainability-linked notes.
- Advised DESFA, the natural gas transmission system operator in Greece, on tax and customs compliance obligations and documentation requirements in relation to the transportation of liquefied natural gas.
Bernitsas Law advises on a vast array of tax matters, including company structuring, planning and policy, asset ownership, executive/employee remuneration and benefits and tax controversies. The practice is led by Panayotis Bernitsas, who recently advised a US fund on tax issues arising from a Greek cross-border loan. Counsel Fotodotis Malamas also assisted Bernitsas with the matter. Other work included assisting Thomas Cook Group Tour Operations with the tax aspects of the sale of its shares in its English subsidiary to LMEY Investments AG.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team consists of high level professionals who are dedicated, available and reliable. The billing is absolutely clear and reasonable.’
‘Even in urgent cases or tasks, as a customer you feel sure that they will do their best to give you a valuable advice, at the soonest possible time.’
‘The team is efficient and hardworking, responsive and very well equipped to meet any legal needs.’
‘Fotodotis Malamas is an excellent lawyer, always up to date with the latest legal developments, gives practical and business-oriented legal solutions to any issue.’
‘Fotodotis Malamas is a very experienced lawyer in tax legislation. He knows his field very well and he is efficient in providing solutions to complex issues.’
‘Experienced and very professional; deep knowledge of tax & legal aspects; business oriented; market driven; available at any time we needed them.’
‘Fotodotis Malamas is undeniably an expert in tax issues, providing practical and business oriented solutions to the client.’
‘We have been working with Bernitsas Law Firm for many years. The Managing Partner, Panayotis Bernitsas is an exceptional and experienced lawyer with a great business sense and customer focus. The members of the team are also great lawyers, with an understanding of our business needs, always available to provide high quality legal support.’
- Advised PIMCO on Greek tax and duty issues in connection with the securitisation of electricity receivables of Public Power Corporation, which have been in arrears for more than 90 days.
- Advised Thomas Cook Group Tour Operations Limited on the tax aspects of the sale of its shares in its English subsidiary Westfort Capital Limited (Target), to the other shareholder of the Target, and on the settlement of certain payment obligations of LMEY Investments AG towards TCGTO.
Fortsakis, Diakopoulos, Mylonogiannis & Associates Law Firm
Fortsakis, Diakopoulos, Mylonogiannis & Associates Law Firm's broad client base includes domestic and international corporates and financial institutions, such as Vodafone, EPA Attica, Alpha Bank, Eurobank and Medochemie. The practice is led by Petros Pantazopoulos, who has expertise in tax and customs related litigation and alternative dispute resolution. Recent highlights included advising The Swatch Group (Greece) on stamp duties imposed on credit agreements entered into with its parent company. Senior associate Katerina Sideromenou is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Theodore Fortsakis; George Mylonogiannis; Katerina Sideromenou
ALPHA BANK SA
B&F INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL CLOTHING SA
MEDOCHEMIE HELLAS SA
THE SWATCH GROUP (GREECE) SOCIÉTÉ ANONYME OF IMPORTATION AND TRADE OF WATCHES
- Acted as legal counsel to Alpha Bank S.A. in relation to its claims against Greek Tax Authorities for the refund of tax that has been withheld on interest accrued.
- Acted as legal counsel to Vodafone, Panafon SA in connection with its dispute regarding the imposition of stamp duties on cash pooling transactions between the Greek subsidiary and other companies of the Vodafone Group based outside Greece.
- Advised B&F Industrial and Commercial Clothing SA on the drafting of a reservation in its annual income tax return, with respect to the deduction from its gross revenues of an approximate value of €10m.
Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm focuses on undertaking advisory work and tax structuring from both a corporate tax and personal tax perspective, as well as tax controversies. Panagiotis Pothos, who leads the practice, has expertise in corporate and M&A-related tax issues, real estate tax and VAT. Senior associate Ioanna Bampra is another key individual in the group, as is Nefeli Sianidou.
Other key lawyers:
Ioanna Barmpa; Emmanouela Baliafa Kolovetsiou; Nefeli Sianidou
‘The team is extremely skilled and business oriented.’
‘Close to the client and reliable.’
‘Immediate feedback and strong ownership of tasks.’
Baker & McKenzie
Beat Mobility Services
Bristol Myers Squibb
Stavropoulos & Partners advises clients on a myriad of tax matters, such as income tax, transfer pricing, double taxation treaties, VAT and M&A-related issues. The practice is led by Ioannis Stavropoulos. In 2020, he successfully represented Pfizer Hellas at the Supreme Administrative Court in relation to a multimillion income tax and transfer pricing challenge over tax deductibility of medical events expenses. Grigorios Grigoriou joined the firm in 2020 from Oikonomidis – Kontos Law Firm. Associate Evgenia Kousteni is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Grigorios Grigoriou; Vassiliki Michalopoulou; Evgenia Kousteni
‘Deep knowledge in their area of expertise.’
‘Good know-how of the existing legislation and court proceedings.’
‘Reliable in their deliverables.’
‘My collaboration with the team was excellent. The associates’ strengths are consistency, understanding and reliability.’
‘Stavropoulos Firm has great expertise in tax matters. They have helped us a lot with uncertainty and complexity in several cases in the past and have a very friendly and human approach, high collaborative spirit and great responsiveness. Their people are certainly the most valuable asset that they have; knowledgeable, experienced, approachable and effective.’
GSP Offshore SRL
Shell Company Hellas Limited / Coral Gas
Du Pont Group
Hellenic Recycling Company
Love 2 Celebrate
- Successfully represented Bayer Hellas in tax litigation against income tax assessment following the issuance of a “clean” tax compliance certificate, generating important legal precedent related to its validity in transfer pricing legislation infringements.
- Successfully represented a Netbet subsidiary before the Administrative Courts in tax litigation against multimillion income tax and Gross Gaming Revenue audit assessments.
- Successfully defended Pfizer Hellas before the Supreme Administrative Court against a multimillion income tax and Transfer Pricing challenge involving tax deductibility of medical events expenses.
Andersen Legal – Pistiolis – Triantafyllos & Associates Law Firm handles both advisory work and contentious tax matters for high-profile clients. The practice is spearheaded by Martha Papasotiriou, who is leading the advice to several ultra-high-net-worth Greek families and individuals on a large-scale audit conducted by Greek tax authorities into indirect taxation. Papasotiriou has previous experience of acting as KPMG’s senior manager for business taxation and international tax, which involved planning the tax aspects of international transactions for multinational companies in the telecoms, energy and life sciences sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Dimitris Moraloglou, Anastasia Mpouloukou
‘The whole team is constituted by excellent professionals who really care about client’s needs and business objectives. They are dedicated and give accurate advice with a focus on details. During our last cooperation, the firm confirmed its high professional standards. The job was done on time and with the quality needed to reach our goals.’
‘Our contact person is Martha Papasotiriou. An excellent lawyer with advanced customer facing capabilities. She knows how to understand the client’s problem and gives the best possible solution. She is effective and demonstrates tax law expertise. We worked with Martha on a highly demanding project and she delivered excellent thinking and results.’
‘The practice is unique in the sense that it combines deep knowledge and substantial experience in the subject matter, with focus to provide value adding solutions to their customers and an incomparable customer experience through efficient technology enabled delivery.’
‘Martha Papasotiriou leads the practice and easily stands out from many of her colleagues in other firms for her robust knowledge in all tax issues, her business understanding, her drive and commitment to provide the best solution to her clients and her personality.’
‘All the team were fast answering and always to the point. They know the market very well. Whenever it was asked, they always had the correct connections and collaborators to propose. Really enjoyed our cooperation.’
COOPERATIVE BANK OF THESSALY
CENTRAL MARE INC
GREEN TOP S.A.
- Advised an American multinational technology company which focuses on e-commerce, cloud computing, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence on the tax incentives provided by the Greek tax law in relation to producing films in Greece.
- Advised a Maltese banking institution on the tax consequences of the closure and transfer of the assets of its Greek branch.
- Advised an Italian banking institution on a cross border demerger of its subsidiary.
Papacostopoulos – Grigoriadou and Associates Law Firm (CPA Law)'s varied portfolio of work covers advice on day-to-day tax matters, tax planning, tax controversies, tax litigation and support with tax audits. The firm has been a key fixture in the tax arena for almost 20 years. Sophia Grigoriadou co-heads the practice with Constantine Papacostopoulos, who is a member of the Society of Tax Law and Public Finance Studies of the Tax Committee of the Hellenic-French Chamber of Commerce.
Sophia Grigoriadou; Constantine Papacostopoulos
Other key lawyers:
Elli Eleni Ampatzi
‘They were dedicated to the case we had. We had immediate meetings upon request either by traveling to our offices or holding meetings through Microsoft Teams.’
‘Working with Sophia Grigoriadou the past few years proved to be the best choice for our company as she and her partners have worked hard and extremely efficiently with our cases, demonstrating great professionalism and understanding of our problems, finally delivering the desired results.’
‘Excellent knowledge and specialization of tax law; excellent ability to understand issues and consult the client in decision making; skillful handling of legal proceedings.’
‘The people are perfectly trained. They give solutions to difficult issues. They have excellent knowledge of technology, and continuously contact the customers.’
‘Sophia Grigoriadou is an outstanding practitioner – combining excellent legal skills, strong tactical thinking, and a keen sense of commercial practicalities.’
‘The collaboration was excellent and the deliverables were of high quality.’
‘Ms. Ampatzi was very skilled in her field of knowledge, we had direct communication with her when needed and the deliverables were always within the deadlines we had set.’
Pyxus International, Inc. / Dimon Hellas S.A.
Piraeus Bank S.A.
G.R.E. Gemini Real Estate Development Limited
I.C. Development LP
KBVL, which is a member of the Deloitte Global Legal Network of independent law firms, is highly reputed for tax advice to private clients. It is also instructed in tax controversies and litigation. The sizeable team regularly acts for high-profile clients, including Sabre Hellas S.A., Hellenic Diaries S.A., Coco-Mat S.A. and Cosmote S.A.. Efstathios Bakalis has long-standing experience handling tax cases before tax authorities. He co-heads the practice with George Venieris; his expertise lies within income tax, inheritance and family wealth planning.
Efstathios Bakalis; George Venieris
Other key lawyers:
Evangelos Aidonis; Vassiliki Tzoumani
‘Very good knowledge of international tax planning.’
‘Their replies were swift, to the point, and they have executed all that we discussed in an efficient manner.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable about legislation, which is very complicated in Greece. Their responses are prompt and to the point and therefore keep billable hours to the absolutely necessary.’
‘Efficient team who are ready to address every request in the most professional way.’
‘Very well informed on tax and legal matters even for more complex structures including different domiciles.’
‘The team has vast knowledge of tax and is able to think creatively and offer the best advice needed for the customer. The people are experienced and have handled a big variety of different tax matters, which makes them able to understand the best course of action per case. They are always there when you need them, trying to explain to the customer in a structural way so that everyone can understand the thinking behind any action.’
‘Extremely knowledgeable and thoughtful. The team is always willing to share their expertise. Compared to other firms, KBVL does not only have the legal orientation but also the business mindset.’
Hellenic Halyvourgia S.A.
ALFA WOOD Group
Sabre Hellas S.A.
Hellenic Diaries S.A.
- Represented Sabre Hellas S.A. before the Administrative Court of Appeal against VAT assessment exceeding €4m, where the Court accepted its arguments and annulled the VAT assessment; there was no judicial precedent.
Iason Skouzos TaxLaw
Iason Skouzos TaxLaw has had historical roots in the tax arena since the firm was founded in 1971. It specialises in handling tax issues for international clients. The workload encompasses tax litigation, private client advice, company formations and tax planning. The expanding team was bolstered by the arrival of Natalia Skoulidou from PwC in 2021, and in another development, Elena Ntafouli was promoted to senior associate. The practice is led by Theodoros Skouzos. Georgia Tsoulou left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
Natalia Skoulidou; Elena Ntafouli
‘Super responsive; excellent grasp of international work.’
‘Theodoros Skouzos – my Greek go to person. Brilliant strategist.’
‘A personal service with all the technical knowledge of a much bigger firm. The availability of partners is something most other firms just do not deliver.’
‘A very personal, friendly service which is also highly professional. Technical knowledge of all individuals was excellent. In particular, Dionysis Xenos and Theodoros Skouzos showed both international knowledge and experience as well as an in depth knowledge of Greek law.’
‘The team has vast experience in this complicated area of law, tax. It is very responsive and delivers fast and practical legal advice.’
‘Theodoros Skouzos is exceptionally good. He has a deep understanding of the law and is always aware of legal and commercial developments.’
‘Iason Skouzos and Partners offers a wide range of services which enables clients to have full qualified assistance. The team has a practical understanding of its clients’ concerns and thanks to its knowledge of tax issues and the experience of its team members, they are able to advise its clients in a proper way. The firm provides a wide range of services and is well-known in advising clients in the complex tax issues they face.’
‘Theodoros Skouzos; I have been struck by his quick comprehension of the problems and response to the client needs. I really appreciate his quick response capacity and his approachability. His knowledge of Greek and international tax issues is remarkable. If one of our clients has a Greek tax issue I know I can surely rely on him.’
Nokia, Solutions and Networks Hellas S.A.
Tallon Trading AG
Constant & Constant LLP
Stephenson Hardwood LLP
Diamantis Masoutis S.A.
Fenwick &West LLP
- Advised Nokia, Solutions and Network Hellas S.A. in preparing documentation pertaining to tax incentives relating to R&D expenses, with an approximate value of €30m.
KLC Law Firm handles tax matters for clients from a range of industries, including manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, agriculture and construction. Notable work included its representation of Adidas before the Greek Administrative Courts and the Supreme Court in relation to custom penalties due arising from inaccurate customs declarations. Xenofon Papayiannis leads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Set quality standards for the expected outcome of their work. Focuses on the achievement of results acting with integrity and a strong sense of responsibility.’
‘The team I worked with showed full availability and provided answers promptly as requested.’
‘The straightforward approach to solve the issue at stake was very appreciated. The people I worked with were very kind.’
‘Highly responsive, available and engaged. Exceptional quality of work.’
‘They are dedicated to the goal and demonstrate attention to detail.’
‘Dora Kantartzi; responsive and gave clear and pragmatic advice in a very niche area.’
‘KLC has an experienced and qualified team of tax experts. They have profound knowledge in their field and they inspire trust.’
‘The members of KLC law Firm’s Tax team are always available, well-informed, organized, easy to talk to, sincere and very qualified. I have collaborated with Mr. Xenofon Papayiannis and Mrs Dora Kantartzi. They are both exceptional. We have collaborated for tax advice and tax litigation and I was very satisfied with the services received.’
ATHENS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
MÉDECINS SANS FRONTIÈRES
SIMMONS & SIMMONS LLP
SPECIFAR /TEVA HELLAS S.A.
PIPELIFE HELLAS S.A.
- Advised EGIS S.A. on all tax implications related to the potential provision of technical advisor services by EGIS S.A. to Attiko Metro S.A.
- Advised AIA on various day-to-day issues and represented AIA before the Supreme Court in litigation against the Greek Tax Authority regarding the assessment of a special solidarity contribution amounting to €23m.
- Represented Specifar/TEVA Hellas S.A. before the Supreme Court and, in parallel, before the Greek tax authorities in relation to its dispute with the Greek tax authorities regarding corporate tax and penalties assessment.
Lambadarios Law Firm advises on a vast range of matters, such as the structuring, tax treatment and implementation of inbound and outbound investments, as well as direct and indirect taxation aspects of cross-border transactions. The firm also assists clients with inheritance and succession planning, and it also represents individuals and legal entities before the Administration and Administrative Courts. The practice is jointly led by the experienced Smaro Anagnostou and Melina Katsimi.
Smaro Anagnostou; Melina Katsimi
‘Excellent collaboration in terms of free contact and willingness to support.’
‘Strong knowledge of tax regulation and high capabilities in setting the right strategy for any case.’
- Advised Epsilon Net on the information memorandum for the increase of its share capital and admission to the official Athens stock exchange listing.
- Represented Whirlpool Hellas before the tax authorities and Administrative Courts in its dispute with the tax authorities regarding the assessment of stamp duty for tax years 2013 and 2014.
- Acted with the UK legal advisers of Sony Music, to advise on the direct and indirect tax implications and implementation of their acquisition and integration with the EMI business in Greece.