Firms in the Spotlight Real estate and construction
Varnavas Law Firm 1978
Established in 1978, Varnavas Law Firm is a boutique Law Firm based in Athens, with expertise in real estate, business and investment immigration law. Their awarded team consists of highly trained lawyers, notaries and financial advisors, who provide their domestic and international clientele with independent and top tier legal services.View Profile...
Real estate and construction in Greece
Alexiou & Kosmopoulos Law Firm's client roster encompasses developers, contractors, financial and strategic investors, lenders, government agencies, corporates and high-net-worth individuals. The team provides a full-service real estate offering, which handles acquisitions, developments and redevelopments, concessions, divestments and financing work. Headed up by Constantine Alexiou and Helen Alexiou, the practice is particularly acclaimed for its expertise in technical matters including environmental, licensing, planning, zoning and regulatory issues. Recent highlights included advising Lamda Development on the licensing of the Hellinikon Project, a multi-billion euro urban development project in Athens. Clients praise associate Eleftheria Vassila for her 'detailed research in legislation and case-law'.
Constantine Alexiou; Helen Alexiou
‘The Team reflects one the most high-quality expertise in the Greek legal market, especially in a field governed by a multitude of legal sources and interpenetrations of legal systems. Facing every project as a whole, the practice is based on the interconnection and the availability of all Partners, coordinated by Helen Alexiou.’
‘Partner Helen Alexiou is really a leading individual in the field. She has tremendous in-depth knowledge of the special planning, zoning and licensing legislation and the ability to effectively implement it in the structure of a very complex transaction. She is involved in the most prominent actual real estate projects in the Greek market and has unparalleled skills in real estate negotiations. Constantine Alexiou co-leads the practice and offers unique relevant experience.’
‘Eleftheria Vassila offers valuable substantiation of the findings through detailed research in the legislation and the case-law. She is a real doer, capable of dealing with the most demanding process required by the public administration.’
‘We are impressed by our long-term cooperation with Alexiou & Kosmopoulos Law Firm for their direct and prompt responsiveness and feedback. The whole team is always short-time effective and we strongly recommend them for commercial, urban planning, administrative and tax law advice.’
‘Mrs. Eleni Alexiou together with Messrs. Konstantinos Alexiou and Alexandros Kosmopoulos hold themselves to high ethical and moral professional standards. Through all these years, our cooperation with them has never been defective, and their deliverables are always analytical, solid and in-depth.’
‘Alexiou & Kosmopoulos is accustomed to encountering situations requiring documentation or advice having a high level of complexity or novelty to suit the particular circumstances of the organizations involved and address transaction requirements.’
‘Always working with us and not for us as part of the same team with commitment that can be found only in the best in-house legal teams and not to external advisors.’
‘Ms. Helen Alexiou, deep knowledge in all applicable law, always answering directly to the heart of the issues and her second to none work ethic. Ms. Eleftheria Vasila as a very valuable support to the process with a unique way to find the solution when nobody expects it.’
‘Always available, approachable. Never provide advice without having thoroughly examined all aspects of the potential problem.’
LAMDA DEVELOPMENT S.A.
LAMDA OLYMPIA VILLAGE S.A.
LAMDA DOGUS S.A.
LAMDA DOMI / PYLAIA S.A.
AREMI S.A. (affiliate of Alpha Bank S.A.)
PIRAEUS BANK S.A.
- Supporting Lamda Olympia Village in a process aimed at the restatement of the environmental licensing and planning regime of the overall municipal Amaroussio region including its implementation of the judgement and the conformity of its assets.
- Acting as the lead legal advisor to long-standing clients on all matters pertaining to the operations of The Mall Athens, Golden Hall and Mediterranean Cosmos shopping malls.
- Advising RND IKE on the development of a luxury tourist resort in Varkos, Aitoloakarnania.
Bernitsas Law has a notable track record in handling high-end transactions, developments, ownership structures, financings and commercialisations. The team advises on an array of asset classes including commercial, retail, secondary residential and industrial properties, offices, malls, marinas and hotels. Group head Panayotis Bernitsas has extensive experience in energy and infrastructure projects and investments; the team also frequently assists the Greek State and Greek Orthodox Church with their real estate assets. Bernitsas is advising the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund on a public tender for the disposal of Castelo Bibeli, a hotel and residential project located on the island of Corfu. Associates Nikos Vouhiounis and Christina Zakopoulou are also active on the matter and are highly recommended.
Bank of Cyprus Public Company Ltd.
Eurobank Ergasias SA
The Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
- Advised the Astir Group on the issuance of a bond loan by Astir Palace Vouliagmenis for the additional financing of the refurbishment, reconstruction and development of Astir luxury hotel properties, a landmark Greek hotel, and the Astir marina located on the Athens Riviera.
- Advised Eurobank Ergasias as bondholder agent, facility agent and hedging bank, and Eurobank Ergasias, Piraeus Bank and Alpha Bank as initial bondholders on a €72m bond loan issued by Pylaia for the refinancing of existing financing and general corporate purposes regarding the Mediterranean Cosmos Shopping Center, a landmark Greek shopping centre located in Thessaloniki.
- Advised Bank of Cyprus PCL as facility agent, security agent, original lender and revolving lender, on its entry into an amendment and restatement deed for an existing credit agreement and an intercreditor agreement relating to a €55m secured term loan and revolving facility granted to a Cyprus-based legal entity running luxury hotel properties in Cyprus.
Dryllerakis & Associates handles high-profile transactions, developments, planning projects and leasing matters. The hotel sector is a cornerstone of the practice, which leverages the firm's wider expertise in tax, licensing, property use, planning, finance and zoning law issues. Maria Stoumpidi is an expert in planning investments and the financial aspects of developments; she heads up the department alongside Stella Yannika, whose specialist areas include project finance schemes within the framework of real estate transactions and leasing matters. Stoumpidi is advising Lamda Development on the approval process for land use and the master plan for the Hellinikon Project, a high-profile urban development which will include a metropolitan park, luxury housing and six skyscrapers.
Maria Stoumpidi; Stella Yannika;
‘Good knowledge in the field; handling negotiations with third parties and client’s business team members. Successful management of more stakeholders’ involvement. High quality performance.’
‘Stella Yannika (partner) assisted throughout negotiations with third parties, both properties owner and constructor in relevant contracts in a timely and accurate manner, including cases under time or 3rd parties’ pressure.’
‘Their advantage is their orthological approach. They are business minded, thinking practically and legally. They avoid unnecessary longevity in all issues while they address practical and business perspectives. They always manage to bring negotiations to an end by reaching an agreement without leaving any grey areas on both sides.’
‘All lawyers have almost the same way of approaching the matters. Their immediate response along with the legal expertise of everyone is absolutely excellent.’
‘All team members which worked in the Due Diligence projects of our Group were very knowledgeable, extremely efficient in legal auditing both in quality of reports as well as in the timely provision of legal support, focused and ready to provide top-level answers and solutions to all issues which were raised during the project.’
Regency Entertainment Group (including Hellenic Casino Parnitha S.A.)
Minoan Group plc (Loyalward)
Praktiker Hellas S.A.
Zeus International City Seasons Hotel S.A.
Seaside East Riviera Hotel and Construction S.A. (Zeus International Group of companies)
- Advising Hellenic Casino Parnitha on the relocation of a casino to an urban site.
- Providing zoning, planning and strategic advice to the Minoan Group on the concept, construction and operation of a six-star high-quality hotel accommodation, summer residences and golf tourism project.
- Advising to Lampsa on agreement execution matters regarding the lease, renovation and refurbishment of a building to operate as a four-star hotel.
Karatzas & Partners' expertise encompasses the privatisation of public real estate, leasings by multinational retailers, transactions, financings, conveyancing issues, leaseback arrangements and public-private real estate developments. The team has comprehensive experience in due diligence relating to land registries and cadastres and is also a key name in the market for real estate investment companies; it recently acted for NBG Pangaea on the acquisition of two land plots for the development of an office complex. Practice head Vassiliki Salaka handles purchases, sales, construction matters and commercial leasings.
‘Strong team with depth and breadth – our go-to team for just about any project.’
‘Focused on problem-solving. I know I can count on them to deliver the desired results.’
NBG Pangaea REIC (the leading REIC in Greece)
Lamda Olympia Village
Centerbridge Partners Europe LLP
Alpha Bank; Black Sea Trade and Development Bank (BSTB); European Bank for Development and Reconstruction (EBRD); European Investment Bank (EIB); International Finance Corporation (IFC)
NBG Pangaea REIC (the leading REIC in Greece)
- Advising Swedish apparel and footwear retailing chain H&M Hennes & Mauritz on corporate and leasing issues, mainly regarding its expansion as well as amendments to executed lease agreements.
- Acted for NBG Pangaea REIC on its acquisition of a Greek SA owning a plot of land and developing logistic buildings of in Aspropyrgos Attica.
- Acted for NBG Pangaea REIC in establishing an SPV (Greek SA) and acquiring two plots of land for the development of a green buildings in a certified offices’ complex in Amarousion Attica.
Recent work for Papapolitis & Papapolitis includes advising Lamda Development on its acquisition of shares in Hellinikon from the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund. John Papapolitis and George Gravias jointly head up the practice, which has broad sector expertise across the commercial, retail, industrial, residential, leisure, tourism and hospitality industries. Work encompasses developments, financings, construction work and transactions with the team also advising on the regulatory framework governing land use as well as issues and contractual matters arising from commercial exploitation mandates.
John Papapolitis; George Gravias
London & Regional Properties
Invel Real Estate Partners
Apollo Capital Management
AGC Equity Partners
Fortress Investment Group
- Assisted Invel with its acquisition of a 32.7% stake in NBG Pangaea REIC.
- Advising London & Regional Properties on a multi-million real estate investment in Mykonos.
- Advised London & Regional Properties on its acquisition of the Titania hotel, one of the largest landmark hotels in Greece.
PotamitisVekris Law Firm is regularly instructed for technical affairs such as urban planning and zoning terms, forestry, seashore and archaeological restrictions, building permits and apartment block regulations. In addition, the team is also acclaimed for due diligence, commercial and financial leases, direct and indirect purchases of real estates, constructions, developments, financings real estate-related M&A. George Bersis heads the practice which represents a range of institutional and international clients, namely hoteliers, developers, lenders, private equity funds, real estate investment trusts and companies and major corporations. The Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund recently engaged the group in relation to the privatisation of two land plots covering a surface of 1,800,000 sq.m in Rhodes. Associates Amalia Balla and Theologos Mintzas are highly-rated.
‘Knowledge and availability.’
‘Real estate expertise, professionalism.’
Lamda Development SA
National Bank of Greece SA
Bank of Cyprus
Blackstone / HIP
Fairfax Financial Holdings
Grupo Dolphin (Argentina)
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
Oaktree Capital Management
Troulis Hotel SA
- Advising Grivalia, a large Greek REIC, on several of its major recent investments.
- Advised Argentinean fund, Grupo Dolphin, on the sale of four companies owning commercial real estate properties in Greece, to listed real estate investment company Trastor REIC.
- Advising Fairfax and Grivalia on the merger of Grivalia with Eurobank Ergasias and the related asset management agreement of the €2bn property portfolio, a novel arrangement for the Greek real estate market.
Zepos & Yannopoulos assists inbound investors on their entry into the Greek market and is also particularly knowledgeable of regulatory and real estate matters in the hotels and leisure sector. Sonia Melegou heads up the department, which also has expertise in transactions, infrastructure projects and M&A-related due diligence along with leasing matters and disputes. In addition to advising Lamda Development on the Hellinikon Project, the team is also assisting Mohegan Gaming & Entertainment with its participation in the tender for a 30-year licence for the construction, operation and maintenance of an integrated resort casino, which will form part of the Hellinikon site.
‘Collaboration with zeya partners has been exceptional. The professionalism and team spirit as well as the time responsiveness are elements we appreciate and feel comfortable to rely on the Company for every legal issue we face.’
‘Working with zeya people over the past 10 years has been a pleasure. We have been very satisfied with the availability to respond even on non-working hours. Collaboration with Ms. Anastasia Makri, Eleni Skoufari and Manolis Zacharakis has been really exceptional.’
‘Strong team spirit, helpful with the younger associates, very efficient and hardworking group, very good communication with the clients and other colleagues, always reliable and assisting. What impressed me more is the fact that they listen to the clients needs and really make all effort to help and close the deal, emphasizing on the clients best interests.’
‘My work experience with the real estate legal team was impeccable, highly professional, very efficient with deep knowledge of the law. In difficult situations they were able to assist my office and provide me with all necessary information. Excellent communication, speed and real team work. I enjoyed working with them especially with Mrs Athanasia Melegou and Mrs Mary Georgiou.’
‘1) The excellent knowledge the team has of every aspect of real estate transactions 2) The size of the team which is big and has diverse specifications 3) Their ability to deliver under pressure.’
‘Sonia Melegou: Exceptional knowledge of the field, flexibility, and experience. Charikeleia Vlastou: Exceptional Knowledge and ability of in-depth analysis. Mary Georgiou: Love of her work and ability to deliver under pressure.’
‘Mr. Nikos Christoforidis and Ms. Charikleia Vlastou with whom I have been working on many cases display efficiency in problem solving and have a business sense that serves the company very well.’
‘Mr. Nikos Christoforidis acquires high level expertise and is very quick in almost anything set to his consideration. Ms. Charikleia Vlastou is eager to get involved and shows a passion that makes working with her easy and convenient.’
‘The team is well organized with clear segregation of duties based on the area of expertise of each member. All the team members are reliable and responsible co-workers that provide to the client not only the available options, but also their professional advice highlighting the pros or cons of each one.’
‘Nikos Christoforidis is a high qualified lawyer that supports our company for many years. I have personally worked with him in many cases and what makes him stand out is his personality. He explains to the client with simple and clear words the reality and the options creating a trustful and open relation.’
‘The breadth of the services offered in a professional and reliable manner. Ideally suited for international customers due to the approach they follow.’
‘They have a solution oriented approach and professionalism combined with functional knowledge and skills. Sonia Melegou, Marina Allamani, Yerasimos Giannopoulos.’
Consortium Of SICHUAN Communications Investment Group (China), Copelouzos Group (Greece), And Zhejiang Expressway Co., Ltd (China)
Dekel Hostel Holdings
Dolphin Capital Partners Sa
Edp Renewables Europe Slu
Ellinikai Touristikai Kai Xenodocheiakai Epicheiriseis
Pimco Funds (Pacific Investment Management Company Llc)
Plaza Centers N.V.
Premier Capital (Mcdonald’s Shops)
Stavros Niarchos Foundation
Tate & Lyle
- Advising the consortium of Sichuan Communications Investment Group, Copelouzos Group and Zhejiang Expressway Co on their bid for the concession of the Egnatia motorway project.
- Acting for the Stavros Niarchos Foundation on the donation to the Greek State of a series of major infrastructure projects in the health public sector.
- Assisting real estate investment company ZOIA with its acquisition of Greek properties valued at €60M.
The team at Andersen Legal - Pistiolis - Triantafyllos & Associates Law Firm is jointly led by Vanita Kiriakouli and Theodore Pistiolis. Kiriakouli is a specialist in transactions, leases, title ownership and property finance, while Pistiolis leads on construction matters, where he is particularly reputed for his energy sector expertise and assists clients from a project's inception through to the related disputes. The group also has expertise in the transport and social care sectors, with blue-chip corporates, developers and investors forming the client roster.
Vanita Kiriakouli; Theodore Pistiolis;
‘The team stands out for its responsiveness, availability and flexibility. It stands out also for the expertise of the team members and deep experience in the relevant fields of expertise.’
‘The team’s members stand out for their attitude and skills. Collaborative, business oriented, experienced lawyers and at the same time, expert in their respective field.’
‘They are extremely professional and capable team. They work hard, they are down to the point and stand by your side at all times. They are considered one of the best teams in real estate in Greece. They handle extremely complex projects and they will insist you do the job the right way. They save a lot of time, money and energy for their clients because of their deep knowledge of real estate market.’
‘Vanita Kiriakouli is the person that everyone wants to work with for real estate matters. She has a unique knowledge of real estate issues and keeps a business view on her cases. You feel comfortable and safe when Vanita handles your case. Managing partner T. Pistiolis is also one of the best lawyers we have worked with. His overview in all cases and his input on how to make things easier is of extreme value. All the team together is unique. Happy to work with them and sure that they know what they are doing.’
‘Andersen Legal has literally supported our company since the first day. Together, we successfully closed numerous investments and construction projects. They are business minded and their work goes way beyond just doing the paperwork. They find smart solutions, have an innovative approach and seek to protect the client not just for the transaction but for its future implications as well. We feel lucky they work for us.’
‘In the real estate sector we work with Mrs. Vanita Kiriakouli. She is one of the most dynamic female lawyers in Greece. She has confidence, knows the details of her practice and follows each project until it is closed. She insists on details and we are extremely happy with her. The Managing Partner Mr. Theodore Pistiolis is also following our projects and makes sure that the job will be done correctly. He knows real estate and construction business and is well recognised for his expertise. The kind of lawyer everyone wants to have on their side. Both are always available and willing to help.’
TOP PROPERTIES SA
INTRA BLUE SA
ALPHA ANAPTIXIAKI SA
BLUE PRO LTD
FTELIA PROPERTY LTD
BITA ANAPTYXIAKI S.A.
KAVOURI RESIDENCES SEVEN
CHRISOPIGI HOTELS SA
VIVATHENS KOUKAKI SA
CHRISOPIGI HOTELS SA
- Conducting ownership titles, urban planning and licensing due diligence for Savills.
- Advising Genting Group on its participation in the international tender for the concession of a wide range of activities in the Hellinikon Project.
- Advising Avoratos on the real estate and construction aspects of a hotel and leisure development project.
Avramopoulos & Partners’ team is led by Vassilis Avramopoulos and provides a broad offering in the real estate space. The group handles transactions across commercial, retail, hospitality and residential asset classes in addition to office and industrial leasings, leasebacks, mortgage and equity portfolios, restructurings and rights of use issues. The team is also active on the construction and renovation fronts, and is well-versed in assisting with management, project development, architect, supply and consulting agreements as well as construction contracts and bidding documents.
‘Throughout my experience with Avramopoulos & Partners Law firm I have come across legal counselling of a high level in real estate transactions and in real estate related matters, such as: all types of acquisition, financing, development, construction, leases, condemnations, and zoning and land use approvals.’
‘Avramopoulos & Partners Law firm has provided me personally and the corporate scheme I am engaged with, with resourceful advice and solutions based on their deep knowledge of the law and also on the basis of practical experience and expertise developed through years of handling real estate related matters.’
‘Mr. Vasilis Avramopoulos: Competent, Hard-Working, Focused Lawyer, Commitment to Quality, Leadership, Communicates with clarity, Detail-oriented approach, Negotiation talent, Diligence, Strategic planning & Problem solving abilities.’
‘Mrs. Barbara Angelopoulou: Impeccable communication skills, Good judgment and analytical skills, Truthfulness and punctuality, Responsiveness, Deep knowledge of law, Organized and Persistent, Excellent client care.’
Construction and real estate dispute expertise is a cornerstone of the practice at Koutalidis Law Firm; the group has extensive experience in courts of all instance. In a recent highlight, the team represented McArthurGlen in the Supreme Administrative Court of Greece in a dispute relating to the operation of an outlet centre close to the Athens International Airport. Gregory Logothetis and Ioannis Kaptanis head up the department, which also handles arbitrations, transactions, due diligence, leases, developments, transfers and real estate backed lending matters.
Gregory Logothetis; Ioannis Kaptanis;
‘Deep legal knowledge and experience. Efficiency and professionalism.’
KRITIKA GOLF S.A.
Frank E. Basil S.A.
National Bank of Greece
Piraeus Bank S.A.
Aktor Concessions S.A.
GMR Group Limited
Marmara Turizm Tesisleri A.Ş.
- Acting in a land dispute between the Municipality of Philothei-Psychiko and Kekrops.
- Representing Kekrops in the reversal of expropriations on immovable property in the high-end district of Psychiko.
- Representing Kritika Golf in a multimillion land dispute against the Municipality of Hersonissos, Crete.
Elisabeth Eleftheriades leads the team at Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm, which has industry-specific expertise in the commercial, hospitality and leisure, energy, utilities, banking and finance, logistics and private client sectors. The group demonstrates experience in transactions, litigation, finance matters, urban planning work, leasings, environmental mandates and archaeological legislation matters, and is adept at acting for international clients including companies stemming from China, Turkey, Israel and Russia.
NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE
European Investment Bank
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND S.A.
- Appointed as completion legal counsel to represent and advise the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund on the Hellinikon Project.
- Acting as the Greek counsel to European Investment Bank and Alpha Bank on the financing of two wind parks in Greece’s Macedonia region.
- Advising Alpha Bank on the financing of three wind parks controlled by SPVs.
Lambadarios Law Firm
Lambadarios Law Firm is well-versed in handling real estate acquisitions and finance transactions with additional expertise in urban planning and infrastructure issues encompassing railways, wind parks and waste management projects. In the transactional space, the team acts on hotel acquisitions in addition to deals involving land and office buildings. The client roster spans real estate funds, private investors and construction companies, who also instruct the group on lease agreements, ownership structures, leasebacks, tax work and zoning issues. Melina Katsimi recently made partner and heads up the team alongside Constantinos Lambadarios.
Constantinos Lambadarios; Melina Katsimi;
‘The law firm is fast reacting, available at short notice, provides thorough and detailed legal advice and support, and the persons we happened to work with have always been of the highest professional level both in their response times including availability as well as their high level of legal services rendered.’
‘Mr Constantinos Lambadarios is a very knowledgeable and highly professional lawyer, who has the ability to advise thoroughly and revert back in very short time frames on all occasions we needed to work with his firm on both straight forward and complicated matters. His level of knowledge and personal input on the transactions were highly viewed and respected.’
‘Great experience. High expertise in the field they practice The team members dealing with a client’s project are always selected in such a manner that each one complements the others perfectly. They are always close to their clients from the outset to the end of the project.’
‘Constantinos Lambadarios: Deep knowledge of corporate and real estate transactions. Melina Katsimi: Excellent knowledge of corporate issues. Prokopis Dimitriadis: Deep understanding of finance issues and their provision through sale and purchase agreements and other legal documents.’
‘All members of the team have deep and thorough knowledge of the industry, are always responsive and deliver high-quality work within tight deadlines.’
‘Constantinos Lambadarios is a top-tier professional, extremely knowledgeable and has always demonstrated a pro-active business oriented approach. Melina Katsimi has always been exceptionally responsive providing solid advice on a wide spectrum of corporate matters.’
- Acting as lenders counsel for Alpha Bank on the first REO transaction to take place in Greece, involving selling a group of real estate assets to Brooklane Capital for €90m.
- Advising Brooklane Capital on its bid for a large portfolio of real estate assets named Project Opus tendered by Eurobank.
- Advising Hines on the acquisition of Academy Gardens, a large plot of land for the development in the outskirts of Athens from Blackrock.
Key elements of Norton Rose Fulbright’s practice include development, investment, tenant and occupier mandates, financing work and litigation. The team is adept at Greek and English law and acts for local and international companies, financial institutions, insurers, shipping companies and the Hellenic Republic on domestic and cross-border matters. Elena Tsohou leads the department, which is also active in the construction sector, where it handles wind and infrastructure projects.
‘They do have in depth knowledge of the sector, are very good at due diligence and have the capacity to undertake complex transactions.’
‘Mr.Dimitris Assimakis, Partner, and Mr. Minas Kitsilis, Senior Associate, are experts in the sector and are able to resolve and address difficult and complex situations. Mr. Rampos, of counsel, is super efficient at drafting.’
Shikun & Binui Ltd.
National Bank of Greece
Alpha Bank, Piraeus Bank, IIG Bank (Malta) Ltd. and PWC
- Advising Shikun & Binui, one of the largest Israeli constructors, on its participation in the North Crete Highway project.
- Advised National Bank of Greece on the provision of a €265m financing to Astir Palace to partially fund the construction and redevelopment of Astir Palace Vouliagmeni and Marina areas.
- Advised Eurobank Ergasias on the refinancing of a portfolio of operating renewable energy assets (i.e. seven solar PV parks and five wind parks) owned by several Greek subsidiaries of Total Eren, including two wind parks, which were recently commissioned.
Alexandros Athanassiou and Gregory Vlachos jointly head up the practice at Sarantitis, which has extensive experience in construction litigation, real estate transactions, development projects and commercial lease agreements. In a recent highlight, the team acted for Ralph Lauren on the termination of two storage and office leases in Athens; the group also represented the Greek subsidiary of Iberostar Group in a dispute pertaining to hotel management agreements.
Alexandros Athanassiou; Gregory Vlachos;
Ralph Lauren Corporation
Allouche and Benias Contemporary Art SA
Iberostar C/O Deloitte Abogados SL
Yamamay Hellas S.A.
Charamida Investments Group
- Advised Allouche and Benias Contemporary Art on a lease agreement for the lease of the Megaron Deligiorgi, a landmark building in Athens.
- Acting for the Greek subsidiary of Iberostar Group in a dispute with Mamidakis Group regarding the management agreements for the Iberostar Mirabello and Iberostar Hermes hotels.
- Assisting Charamida Investments Group with a project for the development of 21 apartments in the tourist area of Glyfada, Athens into tourist accommodation.
Tsoukala and Partners Law Firm
At Tsoukala and Partners Law Firm, the team has expertise in property acquisitions and sales, investments, real estate tax issues, leasings, construction work, disputes, financings, infrastructure projects, environmental issues and laws governing real estate investment companies. Led by Eleni Tsoukala, the group is active in the hospitality sector and regularly handles hotel transactions, management matters and developments. The broad client roster spans real estate investment companies, investment banks, financial institutions, private equity and real estate funds, multinational groups, hotel and luxury resort owners and operators, corporate occupiers, construction companies and high-net-worth individuals. Senior associate Ioanna Moumtzoglou acts as a 'driving force behind major cross-border transactions'.
‘The Firm is the best Firm I have engaged in Greece for real estate work. They have widespread experience in this area, and their quality of work is impeccable. They have acted on the full range of real estate matters, spanning from large hotel transactions to commercial real estate deals and real estate transactions relating to non-performing loans. They are also very well-known for their real estate finance experience and have acted on some of the major real estate finance deals.’
‘Eleni Tsoukala has an impeccable skilset in real estate transactions, blending perfect legal knowledge with practical experience and a commercial mindset. On top of this, she is within the minority of Greek lawyers who can stand out in any international transaction.’
‘Ioanna Moumtzoglou is a driving force behind major cross-border real estate transactions, with excellent expertise and legal acumen. Constantinos Kapitsinos is also active in this area, with great legal and practical experience. Athanasia Chra has acted on a multitude of commercial real estate transactions and is very prompt and effective.’
‘This Firm has advised us in a number of real estate projects, ranging from real estate sales by way of share sales of real estate companies to complex real estate development projects. I would undoubtedly recommend this Firm is a Tier One Firm in this practice area. They have very broad real estate experience and have acted on some of the most landmark transactions, especially in the real estate/hotels sector but also across the board on a number of commercial real estate transactions of all types. A wealth of legal and practical experience including on major transactions and a prime reputation and quality in this area.’
‘Managing Partner Eleni Tsoukala manages and supervises in an outstanding manner, bringing to bear a wealth of experience, professionalism and quality of work corresponding to high international legal standards. Ioanna Moumtzoglou is also very active in this area, a senior attorney with long-standing experience and great legal and business judgment. Constantinos Kapitsinos also remains active within the team with senior experience, professionalism and efficiency.’
The Olayan Group
The Viohalco Group
NBG PANGAEA Real Estate Investment Company
MMG Development S.A. and KMG Development S.A.
- Advising the Olayan Group, a major multinational investment group, on certain Greek law aspects of its acquisition of a 49% shareholding in the Hilton Athens Hotel.
- Acted for the Olayan Group on its acquisition of a 25% shareholding in Costa Navarino, one of the largest Greek hotel groups.
- Acting for NBG Pangaea REIC, the leading Greek real estate investment company listed on the Athens Stock Exchange, on the acquisition of several high-value commercial real estate assets in prime locations.
As a Greek firm with a strong presence across the Balkans, Drakopoulos counts national and international corporates, brokerage houses, major constructors, investment and real estate funds, public authorities and institutional investors on its client roster. The group's wide-reaching expertise encompasses acquisitions, leasings, portfolio management issues, project development work, financings, facility management and real estate financings. Panagiotis Drakopoulos and Georgia Konstantinidou jointly lead the department.
Panagiotis Drakopoulos; Georgia Konstantinidou;
SECURE PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT & INVESTMENT
Brook Lane Capital Special Situations Fund
- Advised a group of Bulgarian investors on the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of a joint stock company, owning a real estate portfolio.
- Advised a Greek-Cypriot real estate fund on its participation in a joint venture for the management and development of certain special purpose vehicles (SPVs) owning real estate assets in Greece.
- Advised Clean Earth Capital on the construction of an additional residential area as part of a €165m development project in Nis, Serbia.
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners sets itself apart through its specialisation in the construction and engineering sectors. Clients, including financiers, project sponsors, employers and contractors, are advised on financings, licences, permits, pricing issues and disputes. The team has extensive experience in handling some of Greece’s largest infrastructure projects and also advises on a number of power and oil and gas projects across Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. The firm’s namesake, Ioannis Vassardanis, heads up the practice, which is also active on the real estate front, where work includes developments, hotel management agreements, sales and leasebacks, investment opportunities, mortgage procedures, disputes and transactions.
ASEA BROWN BOVERI S.A.
- Advising a client on the sale of a real estate property in the centre of Athens.
- Providing day-to-day advice to a client on issues arising from an energy construction project in Iraq.
- Providing advice to a client on issues pertaining to the construction of a significant power project in Lebanon.
KLC Law Firm operates across a breadth of asset classes including residential, commercial, logistics, tourist and industrial properties in addition to hospitals, ports, wind parks, quarries and mines. Alexandros Tsirigos serves as construction group head, where he supports clients through all stages of construction projects. Theodora Xythali oversees the real estate practice, which assists clients with investment planning mandates, transaction implementation, property management and operation issues, urban planning requirements, licensing requirements and the related due diligence work.
Theodora Xythali; Alexandros Tsirigos;
‘Very proactive, reactive, high quality services, competent notably for construction matters, reasonable for the fees.’
HELLENIC GAMING COMMISSION
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND (HRDAF)
VINCI CONSTRUCTIONS GRAND PROJETS
GEK TERNA GROUP
- Advising the Hellenic Gaming Commission on the preparation and conduct of an international tender for the 30-year casino licence concession at the Metropolitan Pole of Hellinikon – Agios Kosmas.
- Acting on the development of a plot of land in Mykonos island for a tourist complex in cooperation with a technical adviser.
- Providing legal support to Vinci construction group on its participation, as consortium member with Terna and Siemens, in the international public tender for the construction of Athens Metro Line 4.
The practice at Moussas & Partners Attorneys at Law is headed up by Vassilios Moussas and is particularly strong for disputes, representing clients in all local courts in addition to international arbitration proceedings. The group also has further strength in transactions, developments, planning issues, projects and construction matters and is well-versed in financings, joint ventures, restructurings and real estate-related M&A. Clients include listed developer conglomerates, local and overseas private investors, private equity funds, real estate investment trusts and financial institutions, who also rely on the group for its knowledge of regulatory restrictions on land usage, ownership issues, estate planning and leasing matters.
‘Moussas and Partners is experienced both from a transactional and a contentious point of view. From my personal perspective, I have experienced excellent service on complicated legal issues like forestry, planning, zoning, title disputes and real estate transaction disputes.’
‘Nicholas Moussas provides very practical and creative advice and is always there when client’s need him, usually under very tight time-frames. Vassileios Moussas has lengthy experience in complex real estate transactions and provides continuous excellent advice. Elias Arvanitopoulos is characterized by smart thinking and resourcefulness, which are blended skilfully with his excellent knowledge of local law and regulations. Georgios Pezodromos is always available to respond, support and provide for clients on complex matters.’
‘They have a strong track record and experience in dealing with real estate matters, such as sales and acquisitions, litigation, acquisition finance etc.’
‘Vassilis Moussas, to the point, meticulous, deal maker.’
METKA S.A. (now MYTILINEOS HOLDINGS S.A.)
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND (HRADF/ TAIPED)
- Retained by the Greek State to assist the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund with the privatisation of Greece’s real estate properties.
- Successfully represented Metka, now Mytilineos Holdings, as the preferred bidder in a dispute before the Council of State to challenge the tender award that Ergose announced for the construction of the railway ‘Kiato-Rododafni’ valued at €800m and co-financed by the European Cohesion Fund.
- Advised Metka, now Mytilineos Holdings, during its successful negotiation with the Government of Ghana and Ameri Energy, which resulted in Metka landing an EPC project in Ghana.
The team at AP Legal is ‘able to provide specific and efficient solutions for all legal issues related to real estate transactions’. Aris Papaspyridis and Spyros Kalapodakis jointly head up the department, which specialises in advising foreign investors on the purchase of residential property in Greece. The group is also active in development work and handles projects relating to a range of asset classes including office buildings and commercial industrial buildings.
Aris Papaspyridis; Spyros Kalapodakis;
‘AP Legal Real Estate & Construction team is the ideal legal partner. They are able to provide specific and efficient solutions to all legal issues related to real estate transactions and combine knowledge and business sense for the benefit of client. According to my view the distinctive characteristic of AP Legal Real & Construction Team is that they are fully committed to the case they handle and always capable to overcome any obstacle. Additionally they are always comply with the time sensitivity of their clients.’
‘Partner Aris Papaspyridis and Senior Associate Afroditi Vassiliou are two individuals who I have worked with. Excellent professionals, always responsive no matter the importance of the request and definitely problem solvers. In our case, their transactional experience and real estate market knowledge has been proved very valuable.’
GOLDALLY INVESTMENT PROPERTIES IKE
DUBAI IKE PROPERTIES DEVELOPMENT
INTERNATIONAL STUDIES ABROAD
ULTRA WHITE SA
SUNMIX INVESTMENT PROPERTIES
- Assisted Goldally Ike with its €1.1m purchase for investment purposes of a building in the centre of Athens.
- Advised Sunmix Investment on its €1.6m purchase of a residential building in the Southern area of Athens.
- Advised Kerzner International resorts on its €3.5m investment in Kea Island.
Gaganas & Partners frequently handles matters with a cross-border element with a large proportion of its client roster consisting of international corporates and individuals. George Gaganas is a transaction specialist who also has expertise in the financing of construction projects and inbound real estate investment. He jointly heads up the practice with Eleftheria Gagana, who acts for domestic and international hotels and tourism sector clients, and also handles real estate litigation.
George Gaganas; Eleftheria Gagana;
‘They are really experienced in international real estate transactions, very professional and efficient. Your matter is handled with the most care and you feel that your interests are protected in the best possible way.’
‘Eleftheria Gagana and George Gaganas are very professional and efficient.’
‘Gaganas & Partners provides excellent advice on real estate and constructions matters. They are experts in the hotel sector and can advise you on any possible matter relating to the construction and operation of a hotel in Greece.’
‘George Gaganas and Eleftheria Gagana provide top quality legal advice.’
‘Very experienced in cross border real estate transactions. They have assisted us in selling an apartment in the UK with the assistance of UK solicitors and also buy another apartment in Greece. They handled each transaction very efficiently. They are really trustworthy and reliable.’
‘George Gaganas and Eleftheria Gagana are very experienced in cross border real estate transactions.’
‘A very dynamic team of lawyers with wide experience in handling real estate and construction matters. Very creative and practical solutions even in the most complex matters. Very efficient in real estate and construction disputes too.’
‘George Gaganas has a very practical and business oriented approach in any real estate and construction matter. Eleftheria Gagana is very experienced in the constructions and hotel sector. Very efficient in construction disputes.’
‘They are very experienced in the hotel market, wholesale lease contracts and also in disputes arising before the Greek Court. They have successfully represented us with our dispute with a hotel company in Crete.’
‘George Gaganas provides excellent advice on any real estate matter. Eleftheria Gagana has wide experience on any legal matter related to the hotel market.’
‘Very experienced in cross border real estate transactions, especially in the hotel market.’
‘George Gaganas and Eleftheria Gagana can handle any contentious or non-contentious real estate matter with great efficiency.’
Aelia Collection Suites IKE
Anastasia Princess Hotel
- Advised Alexandria Group on the conclusion of its wholesale hotel guarantee contracts with a hotel company; owner of two four-star hotels in Corfu, for a duration of five years.
- Advising Restat on its special construction project in Thessaloniki Metro.
- Advised Aelia Collections Suites on all legal matters regarding the construction of a luxury villas complex in Skyros island.
P.V. Kanellopoulos & Partners Law Firm
Vassilis Kanellopoulos is practice head at P.V. Kanellopoulos & Partners Law Firm, which has a track record in handling the construction of transport infrastructure, commercial centres, industrial plants and tourist facilities. Recent highlights include acting on the sale of various land plots and buildings to a Greek hotel group and preparing acquisition contracts for the acquisition of a high-value property in Athens.
Other key lawyers: