Firms in the Spotlight Real estate and construction
Varnavas Law Firm 1978
Established in 1978, Varnavas Law Firm is a boutique Law Firm based in Athens, with expertise in real estate, business and investment immigration law. Their awarded team consists of highly trained lawyers, notaries and financial advisors, who provide their domestic and international clientele with independent and top tier legal services.View Profile...
Real estate and construction in Greece
AKL Law Firm is particularly focused on the technical aspects of real estate projects and is currently advising Lamda Development on the planning and environmental licensing considerations of the Hellinikon Project, an extremely significant, multibillion-euro urban development project in Athens. Also among the team's core strengths are zoning and regulatory matters, in addition to all forms of transactional and financing work. ‘Exceptional and experienced deal maker’ Constantine Alexiou jointly heads the department with Helen Alexiou, who is described as ‘second to none in real estate law’. The team is frequently engaged by the Greek state, developers, financial and strategic investors, contractors and corporates, and also specialises in advising high-net-worth individuals on the acquisition of tourist and investment properties. Associate Eleftheria Vassila is noted for her ‘rapid responses and solutions’.
Constantine Alexiou; Helen Alexiou
Other key lawyers:
Eleftheria Vassila; Alexandros Kosmopoulos
‘Their team has a high level of skill and knowledge of the services they offer. They provide professional-standard services and they are fast in responding to requests.’
‘They have real knowledge of their sector and they are highly respected lawyers in Athens. Whenever I need their advice they get back to me immediately.’
‘A highly qualified team in a very demanding and complicated field, responsive, effective, respectful of the needs of the client. This practice is unique due to the fact that the selection of each member of the team, as well as the work method, is designed to maximise security for the client.’
‘Helen Alexiou has a passion for creating high-quality deliverables and interactions. She is always accurate and diligent in business and at the same time an enthusiastic, humble and honest team player.’
‘Eleftheria Vassila is an associate who comes up with rapid responses and solutions.’
‘Character, commitment and competence. The practice scores 100% on all points.’
‘Helen Alexiou is second to none in real estate law and outstanding in delivering on time. The fact that she is always available and committed as if she is working in-house is unique.’
‘Constantine Alexiou is an exceptional and experienced deal maker. He knows the industry very well and that is a great advantage for an adviser.’
LAMDA DEVELOPMENT S.A.
LAMDA OLYMPIA VILLAGE S.A.
LAMDA DOMI S.A.
GRIVALIA PROPERTIES/ GRIVALIA HOSPITALITY
PIRAEUS BANK S.A.
PRODEA INVESTMENTS RECI
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND
- Advising RND IKE on the first phase of licensing for the development of a tourist resort in Aitoloakarnania.
- Assisted LAMDA Olympia Village SA with the licensing procedure for the largest mall in Greece.
- Assisted LAMDA Domi SA with the licensing of the first large-scale family entertainment centre in Greece.
The ‘absolutely excellent’ lawyers at Dryllerakis & Associates are go-to names for developments, project finance, zoning, planning, tax, permitting and licensing matters, and also specialise in investments in Greece and the wider Balkans region. Maria Stoumpidi holds a notable track record in significant development projects while Stella Yannika is routinely engaged for project finance schemes, transactions and leasing matters. The pair jointly head the practice, which represents several prominent names in the hotel, tourism and retail sectors and has carved out a distinguished reputation for advising foreign investors on the acquisition of luxury secondary homes in Greece.
Maria Stoumpidi; Stella Yannika
Other key lawyers:
Eleftherios Rantos; Panagiotis Georgiopoulos
‘The legal training of all is absolutely excellent, which is perhaps self-evident or expected. But the way they deal with each theme and analyse it until they reach and highlight the nub of the matter is unique. Most of the time when we have engaged them, we have concluded that the legal problem was not the one we initially thought it was. This perfectly rational way of analysing and re-synthesising the issues is common, in my experience, to everyone I have worked with.’
‘Stella Yannika is absolutely excellent.’
‘Stella Yannika worked very efficiently and closely with us and the counterparty’s lawyer, and the issues we worked on were very carefully assessed and resolved.’
GRANT THORNTON SA
Lamda Estate Development S.A.
LUXURY GOODS GREECE SA – GUCCI
Minoan Group plc (Loyalward)
Praktiker Hellas S.A.
Regency Entertainment Group (including Hellenic Casino Parnitha S.A.)
Thessaloniki Port Authority S.A.
- Advised Belterra Investments (a Dimera Group company) on the sale of the Porto Carras Grand Resort, a fully integrated holiday resort located on the Halkidiki central peninsula.
- Advised Regency Entertainment Group (including Hellenic Casino of Parnitha S.A.) on acquiring outline planning consent for change of land use so that the Mont Parnes Casino may re-locate to Marousi, an urban part of the broader Athens area.
- Advised Minoan Group plc (Loyalward) on the re-negotiation of an 80-year development contract for the exploitation of a huge estate for tourism and residential use.
Karatzas & Partners notably counts a number of leading real estate investment companies (REICs) among its clients, including Prodea and Noval Property. The team, which is headed by Vassiliki Salaka, is relied upon for the full array of real estate matters, including leasing, sale and leasebacks, developments and privatisations. Christina Faitakis is the key contact for real estate finance work, operating alongside the firm's market-leading banking and finance practice to support on a number of high-profile hotel financing matters of late. Further distinguished areas of proficiency include mall-related leasing, public-private developments and due diligence of land registries and cadastres.
Other key lawyers:
Christina Faitakis; Argyro Vagia
National Bank of Greece S.A.
H&M Hennes & Mauritz
Dromeus Capital Group
Prodea Real Estate Investment Company (former NBG Pangaea REIC)
Eurobank and Eurobank Leasing
Lamda Development, Lamda Olympia Village and Lamda Ilida Office
- Acted as legal counsel to National Bank of Greece, as the seller, regarding the due diligence of approximately 70 real properties of the six major debtors of the portfolio of Project Icon, with a value of approximately €2.5bn.
- Advised Prodea REIC (formerly NBG Pangaea REIC) on the sale of four commercial buildings through a public tender process for a total consideration of €93m, as well as on the tender offer launched by Invel Real Estate (Netherlands) II B.V. to acquire from the National Bank of Greece its 32.7% stake in the client company.
- Advised Lamda Development on its pre-emptive share capital increase for the raising of €650m, the largest share capital increase completed in Greece for the past years by a non-financial issuer, and on the financing of the urban redevelopment of the Hellinikon, which is one of Europe’s biggest urban regeneration projects.
Under the leadership of the vastly experienced George Bersis, PotamitisVekris Law Firm caters to a varied client roster of developers, lenders, private equity funds, hoteliers and high-net-worth individuals. The team is also routinely instructed by investors, both domestic and international, including a number of REITs. Its workload is equally as broad, encompassing construction and development agreements, direct and indirect asset purchases, and real estate-related M&A, in addition to a range of financing work, including loan workouts, restructurings and senior, mezzanine and preferred equity matters. Theologos Mintzas excels in relation to privatisation, environmental and town planning mandates while fellow associate Amalia Balla is particularly well regarded on the transaction front.
Other key lawyers:
Euripides Ioannou; Amalia Balla; Theologos Mintzas
Lamda Development SA
National Bank of Greece SA
Bank of Cyprus
The Blackstone Group / HIP
Dromeus Capital Management
Grivalia Management (former Grivalia Properties REIC)
Fairfax Financial Holdings
Grupo Dolphin (Argentina)
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
LBRI (Ikos & Sani Hotels)
Oaktree Capital Management
Troulis Hotel SA
- Advising Lamda Development on a €777m financing for the first phase of the development of the former Athens Airport, one of the largest real estate developments in Europe.
- Advised Dromeus Capital Management, one of the largest Greek real estate investment companies, on the acquisition of four large commercial/office buildings through a financial lease scheme.
- Advised HI Partners, the Spanish platform of Blackstone, on the acquisition of five major hotel resorts from Louis Group through a partial demerger, one of the first demergers in Greece.
Andersen Legal - Pistiolis - Triantafyllos & Associates Law Firm’s core expertise is spread across all forms of leasing, title ownership, property finance, public tenders for construction projects, high-magnitude developments and foreign direct investment in high-value assets. Vanita Kiriakouli also delivers specialist knowledge in respect of the sale and purchase of land and plot development; she heads the practice alongside Theodore Pistiolis, who has worked on a number of construction projects in the infrastructure, energy and telecoms sectors.
Vanita Kiriakouli; Theodore Pistiolis
Other key lawyers:
TOP PROPERTIES SA
- Advised a major land development company on the drafting and preparation of all contracts necessary for the initiation of the construction phase of a project, which will be the largest urban regeneration investment ever in Greece.
- Advised a real estate development company on the acquisition of an iconic property in a high-demand areas of Greece for the development of summer residences.
- Successfully advised an international real estate agency on a tender offered by a major Greek banking institution for the provision of advisory services with regard to a ‘bucket’ of real estate properties owned by the banking institution.
Avramopoulos & Partners is home to ‘indisputable knowledge of complex real estate transactions’. Its varied real estate workload spans sales and acquisitions involving office, residential, apartment complex and retail assets, industrial and office property leasing and complex developments, in addition to finance, joint venture and restructuring matters. On the construction front, areas of prowess include management, project development, and architect and supply agreements, along with bidding document preparation. Practice heads Vassilis Avramopoulos and Yanna Antonopoulou are both highly experienced when it comes to hotel, leisure and resort-related projects.
Vassilis D. Avramopoulos; Yanna Antonopoulou
‘We have been working with the firm for a number of years and continue to be delighted with their services to us and our clients. Always responsive, clear in their advice and demonstrate a constant willingness to find a solution should any problem arise.’
‘Avramopoulos & Partners Law Firm has an extended and indisputable knowledge of complex real estate transactions, as well as comprehensive knowledge of the planning, execution and completion of a construction project, including thorough and detailed review of the procurement strategies and documents, focusing proactively and efficiently on the evaluation and award criteria.’
‘Vassilis Avramopoulos and Yanna Antonopoulou have impeccable communication and analytical skills, perseverance and a great deal of creativity in problem-solving.’
Karma Group of Companies
- Advised Hard Rock International with regards on the technical offer requirements and the development aspects of the project tendered by the Greek state for the concession of a casino operating licence and the development of an integrated resort and casino in the area of the old port of Athens.
Bernitsas Law’s real estate and construction department is particularly active on the development front, supporting clients at every stage of commercial, tourism, residential and industrial projects. It is also regularly engaged for corporate transactions involving real estate companies and asset portfolios, as well as planning, land use, zoning and environmental matters. Headed by Panayotis Bernitsas, an expert in portfolio investments, the team frequently advises banks, funds and real estate companies on financing matters and is also well equipped to assist with related tax considerations. Other clients include retailers, real estate trusts, construction and development companies, the Greek state and the Greek Orthodox Church. The ‘amazing’ Nikos Vouhiounis provides distinguished expertise in real estate privatisation tender procedures, in addition to the acquisition and development of tourist facilities, commercial malls and offices. Fellow senior associate Christina Zakopoulou is likewise a name to note, specialising in construction contracts and large-scale land development projects.
Other key lawyers:
Nikos Vouhiounis; Christina Zakopoulou
‘ It is a great team, they are always available and know the market very well.’
‘ Nikos Vouhiounis is a great lawyer, with a great understanding of the commercial issues at play.’
‘Bernitsas Law Firm combines many years of legal experience in virtually all specialties of Greek and international law, from M&A to finance, real estate, and employment statutes. Their legal staff provide an accessible and efficient service throughout the whole country.’
‘Christina Zakopoulou brings professionalism and understanding to complex issues. She makes the client’s problems her own.’
‘They speak very good English and they are always available.’
‘Nikos Vouhiounis is amazing – someone you can trust and rely on.’
Rocco Forte Hotels
The Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
- Advising one of the largest Middle Eastern private and sovereign equity funds with regard to the disposal of four hypermarkets located in Athens and Thessaloniki.
- Advising SMB Hotels Holdings BV, an Amsterdam-based lifestyle hotel, bars and restaurant holding and operating group, with regard to the acquisition of two real estate assets in Athens to be developed as lifestyle hotels.
Koutalidis Law Firm’s real estate and construction department is jointly helmed by Gregory Logothetis and Ioannis Kaptanis, who has specialist experience in the due diligence of construction contracts, developments, leasing, financing and an array of high-value real estate asset transactions. The group is particularly active on the disputes front, having recently represented clients in the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Administrative Court of Greece and ICC construction-related arbitrations. Clients recommend the team for its ‘deep knowledge of the legal environment’.
Gregory Logothetis; Ioannis Kaptanis
‘Deep knowledge of the legal environment. Efficiency.’
‘Individuals at the firm stand out as experts on legal matters.’
‘Full comprehension of specialised issues and affairs. Persuasive arguments during negotiations and a non-argumentative manner.’
KRITIKA GOLF S.A.
GMR Group Limited
Aktor Concessions S.A.
Aegean Motorway S.A.
Maliakos Kleidi Construction Joint Venture
National Bank of Greece
Piraeus Bank S.A.
Alpha Bank S.A.
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF)
“UNIPER TECHNOLOGIES GmbH” and (b) the Greek company “ASPROFOS ENGINEERING S.A.”
Frank E. Basil S.A.
- Advised GMR Group Limited with respect to the concession of the planned new international airport in Heraklion, Crete, and related construction contract.
- Advised Aktor Concessions S.A. on the concession project of the Alimos Marina.
- Advised all four Greek systemic banks in connection with the issuance by Athens International Airport of a common bond loan of up to €100m for five airport-related capex projects.
Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm is a household name for real estate-related tax matters, financing, construction, title reviews, commercial leases and a range of large-scale projects. Its foremost sectors of expertise include tourism and leisure, energy, utilities and logistics, with the client roster spanning high-net-worth individuals, institutional investors and funds as well as credit and financial institutions. The practice is led by transaction specialist Elisabeth Eleftheriades and also includes Theodore Rakintzis, whose expertise encompasses sale and leasebacks, construction agreement, time sharing and international tax planning.
Other key lawyers:
Theodore Rakintzis; Eleni Iconomidou; Kimon Tsakiris
- Advising Alpha Bank and Eurobank on Project Kafireas, an onshore wind park project which has been under legal due diligence review for over two years.
- Acting as Greek legal adviser to the European Investment Bank and Alpha Bank on the financing of two wind parks in northern Greece.
- Appointed as completion legal counsel to represent and advise HRADF in relation to the Hellinikon Project.
‘A strong team with depth, breadth and a very commercial approach’, Lambadarios Law Firm is centred on the representation of REICs, real estate funds and collateralised NPLs on their real estate activities in Greece. In terms of the workload, the team routinely handles compliance, planning and zonal regulation matters, high-value acquisitions, financing, prominent leases and a wealth of development and construction projects, including infrastructure, railway, waste management and wind park schemes. The ‘open, cooperative and confident’ Constantinos Lambadarios also holds a distinguished track record in M&A relating to real estate and hotel and leisure assets, both in mainland Greece and on the islands; he heads the department with Melina Katsimi.
Constantinos Lambadarios; Melina Katsimi
Other key lawyers:
George Panopoulos; Yannis Kourniotis; Prokopis Dimitriadis
‘Strong team with depth, breadth and a very commercial approach.’
‘Prokopis Dimitriadis has a deep knowledge of the field, flexibility, experience and availability. Working with Prokopis has been truly exceptional. You always feel comfort and confidence when working with him.’
‘Very fast response times. Very good knowledge of the market and the main players. Attention to detail and understand of the legal frameworks.’
‘The team has extensive experience in real estate law in Greece.’
‘Constantinos Lambadarios is experienced in the field and easily reachable.’
‘An efficient team with a cooperative spirit and openness to new ideas, which is well placed in the market to have leading experience in the field.’
‘Constantinos Lambadarios is easy to work with, open, cooperative and confident. Prokopis Dimitriadis is an informed and agile lawyer.’
Brook Lane Capital
- Advising Hines on the acquisition of three Cyan Group hotels in Crete from the Kefalogianni family, through two major share sale and purchase transactions valued at approximately €120m.
- Advising both Hines and Henderson Park on their combined investment in the transformation of the former Athens Ledra Hotel into the five-star Grand Hyatt Athens.
- Advising Egis Group and Meridiam in relation to the Northern Road Axis of Crete project, a planned 200km highway that will run along the north coast of Crete.
The workload at Papapolitis & Papapolitis covers the full array of real estate matters, from purchase, sale, financing and leasing affairs through to large-scale development and construction projects. In addition, its lawyers excel when it comes to privatisations, state concessions and the regulations governing land use and planning. John Papapolitis and George Gravias jointly head the department, which provides notably broad asset class expertise covering retail, commercial, industrial, residential, leisure, tourism and hospitality properties. In a standout highlight, the group is currently advising Lamda Development in respect of a €1bn integrated resort casino development as part of the client’s high-profile Hellinikon Project.
John Papapolitis; George Gravias
Other key lawyers:
‘The tremendous sector expertise, deep industry knowledge, very strong work ethic and professionalism makes the practice unique for us in the Greek market.’
‘Exceptional, high-quality service that always delivers results and gets the deal done in a very efficient manner.’
‘George Gravias has immense industry knowledge and expertise. John Papapolitis is a legal powerhouse and an authority in the market.’
Lamda Development S.A.
RSR Estate Holdings S.A.
London & Regional Properties
RB Capital Limited
Invel Real Estate Partners
Astakos Port Terminal
Fortress Investment Group
Piraeus Real Estate S.A.
Brook Lane Capital Management
York Capital Management
Titania Hotel Athens
- Advised London & Regional Properties on the acquisition of the landmark Titania Hotel, Athens.
- Advised Soho House on the acquisition of the Scorpios Beach Club and San Giorgio Hotel.
- Advised APartners Capital, a private equity fund located in Luxemburg, in relation to the acquisition of a real estate portfolio sold by Eurobank (known as the Star portfolio), including approximately 680 properties located in Athens, Thessaloniki and the Greek islands.
Home to a ‘well-known and highly respected’ team for real estate and construction, Sarantitis is equipped to handle construction-related disputes and projects, large-scale developments, high-value transactions and commercial leasing matters. Alexandros Athanassiou and Gregory Vlachos jointly head the department, which was recently engaged by Pomona in relation to the €2.5m sale of an office building in Attica.
Alexandros Athanassiou; Gregory Vlachos
Other key lawyers:
Dionysia Gamvrakis; Alexandros Metaxas; Vicky Psaltaki
‘Sarantitis’s real estate and construction department comprises of a team of lawyers with longstanding experience and a high level of expertise and professional attainment. The team, which is always on top of recent developments and reforms, is able to tackle complex real estate issues and come up with innovative and cost-effective solutions.’
‘Alexandros Metaxas shows meticulous attention to detail and has excellent experience in the real estate and construction field. Vicky Psaltaki is a bright, diligent and knowledgeable lawyer, who is always keen to assist in order to accommodate the clients.’
‘The team’s deep knowledge of the Greek market, longstanding experience and ability to create customised solutions in a timely manner is unique in the local market. Their personal touch with clients and direct communication put them far ahead of competitors.’
‘We have long trusted Sarantitis Law Firm to support us on our real estate transactions and construction projects. The team’s strengths are, first, its deep knowledge of the local real estate market and, second, its overall understanding of our individual history and strategic objectives. This combined knowledge is something the team consciously strives to obtain in order to put it to good use.’
‘Sarantitis is a well-known and highly respected law firm in Greece. They have a team of specialised business lawyers in the three biggest cities of Athens, Piraus and Thessaloniki and they are active in almost every area of law.’
ENA OKTO S.A.
Iberostar C/O Deloitte Abogados SL
Yamamay Hellas S.A.
Charamida Investments Group
- Advised Yamamay S.A. on the lockdown legislation adopted in view of the Covid-19 pandemic in relation to the commercial leases to which the company is a party.
- Advised ENA OKTO S.A., a Greek company active in the real estate sector, on the purchase of a €500,000 property situated on Filopappou Hill in Athens.
- Advising Charamida Investment Group on the development of a plot of buildings in the Athenian Riviera, valued at €2.5m approximately.
Tsoukala and Partners Law Firm
At Tsoukala and Partners Law Firm, the team advises on the entire array of real estate matters, including cross-border sales and acquisitions, investments, leasing, tax and high-end construction projects. It also counts REIC-related regulation, disputes and a wealth of financing matters, such as credit facilities and syndicated loans, among its key areas of expertise. Managing partner Eleni Tsoukala and senior associate Ioanna Moumtzoglou are both particularly knowledgeable about hotel assets, regularly advising on transactional, development and management matters. A distinguishing feature of the firm is that several of its key lawyers are also qualified to practise in England and Wales.
Other key lawyers:
Ioanna Moumtzoglou; Dimitris Kogas
‘They are highly experienced, thorough, professional, extremely commercial, international and very well connected in Greece with the authorities and market players alike.’
‘Eleni Tsoukala stands out for her immense legal experience and commercial understanding, unique international background with prior City of London experience, and stellar market reputation.’
‘I would recommend Ioanna Moumtzoglou as being a real asset for the team, with an international background and prior London experience. She is thorough with good analytical skills and longstanding practical experience with the public authorities in Greece.’
‘The team has acted on some of the largest real estate transactions in Greece, covering the full mix of work and combining unparalleled legal experience with thoroughness, excellent market contacts and a truly international team which is very well versed in English documents and negotiations.’
‘Eleni Tsoukala and Ioanna Moumtzoglou both stand out in any transaction. Eleni is an exceptional lawyer, bilingual and qualified in Greece and England and Wales, who shines in any multi-jurisdictional transaction whilst having also excellent legal experience and fantastic expertise with the authorities in Greece. Ioanna is also bilingual and dual-qualified, and has accumulated a wealth of experience in real estate matters, both legally and from a practical hands-on perspective when it comes to liaising with the authorities and the Greek land registries.’
‘Eleni Tsoukala’s team stands out for being commercially savvy, flexible and accommodating to the client’s needs. The services provided are always holistic and the team members have an excellent knowledge of the relevant fields of expertise.’
‘They are professional, thorough and always on hand to address issues as they arise. Ioanna Moumtzoglou and Eleni Tsoukala are consummate professionals and they are always willing to go the extra mile.’
‘Dimitris Kogas provides professionalism, dedication and the ability to handle all matters promptly and expeditiously. He has a wealth of practical experience with the Greek authorities and market practices, good legal experience and is very efficient.’
The Alpha Bank Group
The Viohalco Group
Prodea Real Estate Investment Company Société Anonyme
MMG Development S.A.
KMG Development S.A.
- Advised the Alpha Bank Group on the acquisition of certain commercial real estate assets located in Athens.
- Advised the Viohalco Group on the acquisition of several high-value real estate assets.
- Advised two local construction and development companies on the acquisition of ten plots of land on the island of Santorini for the construction and development of serviced luxury villas.
Zepos & Yannopoulos delivers a ‘high level of flexibility and agility’. The practice is jointly headed by Marina Allamani and Sonia Melegou, whose practice is geared towards acquisitions and disposals, sale and leaseback arrangements, portfolio due diligence, and commercial and residential lease arrangements. Further established fortes include real estate litigation, construction projects, investment structuring and related tax considerations. Of late, the group has also handled an increasing number of investments relating to leisure, second home and hotel assets, as well as mandates relating to the establishment of real estate securities.
Sonia Melegou; Marina Allamani
Other key lawyers:
‘When they solve problems, they apply both logic and business considerations in fair proportion, based on the complexity of the case. They are exceptionally organised and keep up with the new developments in their sector.’
‘They are very good communicators and find easy ways to clearly communicate legal risks, timeframes and practices to their clients.’
‘The team is extremely experienced in the field of real estate for energy projects, with many years of knowledge of the legislative framework of energy policy in Greece.’
‘I consider the whole team to be specialists in the field of real estate energy matters and excellent in their work.’
‘I recommend the firm for the professionalism of the employees, the empathy that they demonstrate for their clients and their focus on holistic yet fully justifiable legal advice.’
‘A high level of flexibility and agility and sound assessment of the issues. The actions taken provided me with peace of mind in a highly challenging situation.’
‘Nikos Christoforidis did an excellent job.’
Consortium Of SICHUAN Communications Investment Group (China), Copelouzos Group (Greece), And Zhejiang Expressway Co., Ltd (China)
Dekel Hostel Holdings
Dolphin Capital Partners Sa
Edp Renewables Europe Slu
Plaza Centers N.V.
Premier Capital (McDonald’s Shops)
Stavros Niarchos Foundation
Tate & Lyle
AIK IMMOBILIEN-INVESTMENTGESELLSCHAFT MBH
- Advised real estate investor Zoia on the disposal of 11 properties in the centre of Athens.
- Advised a private investor on a real estate investment project concerning the acquisition from a private individual of a company which owns 200,000 square meters of land on a Greek island.
- Advised LMEY Investments AG on acquiring a 50% stake in Westfort Capital Limited, a hotel investment company, from Thomas Cook Group Tour Operations (in liquidation), resulting in 100% ownership by LMEY of the hotel investment platform.
AP Legal fields a team with distinguished expertise in advising overseas investors and non-EU clients on their inbound residential and commercial property acquisitions. Aris Papaspyridis and Ioannis Nakis co-head the department, which counts industrial, office, rural and commercial property developments, real estate-related M&A and leasing agreements on behalf of international clients among its key areas of proficiency.
Aris Papaspyridis; Ioannis Nakis
GOLDALLY INVESTMENT PROPERTIES IKE
DUBAI IKE PROPERTIES DEVELOPMENT
EUCLID UK LIMITED
INTERNATIONAL STUDIES ABROAD
ULTRA WHITE SA
SUNMIX INVESTMENT PROPERTIES
- Advised Goldally Investment IKE, a Greek entity consisting of foreign shareholders, on the sale of a landmark building located in the southern part of Piraeus to individual investors for a total consideration of €4.5m.
- Advised multinational giant Pfizer for the arrangement of new leased premises in Greece.
- Advised renowned underwriting company Euclid Transactional UK Limited in terms of securely insuring representations and warranties concerning three discerned real estate deals pertaining to the massive transfer of real estate assets.
At Drakopoulos, key pillars of the real estate department include acquisitions, leasing, portfolio and facility management, project development and financing. Headed by Panagiotis Drakopoulos and Georgia Konstantinidou, the department advises a client roster including institutional investors, real estate funds, major construction companies, brokerage houses, public authorities and multinationals. The firm has a strong footprint across the SEE region with international offices in Larnaca, Tirana and Budapest.
Panagiotis Drakopoulos; Georgia Konstantinidou
BROOK LANE SPECIAL SITUATIONS FUND
GRADISTA REAL ESTATE FUND
CLEAN EARTH CAPITAL
- Advised Brook Lane Special Situations Fund with respect to the €17.4m acquisition of a premium building located on Kifisias Avenue.
- Advised Clean Earth Capital, a US development company, with respect to the construction of an additional residential area of 29,000 sqm as part of a €165m development project in Niš, Serbia.
- Advised Livewise, a developer of high-end residential complexes, with respect to the development, construction and sales of residential premises in Athens.
Gaganas & Partners
At Gaganas & Partners, George Gaganas provides specialist experience in the financing of construction projects and overseas investments into Greece-based assets, while fellow practice head Eleftheria Gagana focuses on construction and hotel disputes in addition to leasing agreements. Highlights from the recent workload include the amendment and conclusion of various hotel contracts, several major construction projects, and sales and acquisitions of various properties by high-net-worth private clients.
George Gaganas; Eleftheria Gagana
Alexandria Group A.S.
Aelia Collection Suites Ltd
- Advised Alexandria Group A.S. on the amendment and conclusion of wholesale hotel contracts with various hotel companies in Greece at a total value of more than €30m.
- Advised Restat S.A. on its €10m special construction project in the Thessaloniki Metro.
- Advised a consortium of real estate developers on the sale of a commercial five-storey building in Athens with a value of €12m.
A key differentiator for KLC Law Firm is its extremely broad asset class expertise, which not only includes residential, commercial, logistics, industrial and tourist properties but also hospitals, ports, wind parks, quarries and mines. Theodora Xythali, who has a strong track record in privatisation projects and public property exploitation, leads the practice along with Alexandros Tsirigos, who is particularly proficient in construction-related disputes. The workload also includes real estate due diligence, investments, urban planning, property management and licensing requirement matters.
Theodora Xythali;Alexandros Tsirigos
HELLENIC GAMING COMMISSION
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND (HRADF)
SHANGHAI ELECTRIC CORPORATION
VINCI CONSTRUCTIONS GRAND PROJETS
GEK TERNA GROUP
- Lead legal counsel advising the Hellenic Gaming Commission on the preparation and conduct of the international tender for the 30-year casino licence concession at the Metropolitan Pole of Hellinikon – Agios Kosmas.
- Continuing to provide legal support to the Hellenic Republic Asset Management Fund in relation to the privatisation of ten peripheral ports (Volos, Rafina, Igoumenitsa, Patras, Alexandroupolis, Heraklion, Elefsina, Lavrion, Corfu and Kavala) through a sub-concession contract.
- Providing legal advice to Shanghai Electric on licensing, regulatory and contractual matters in relation to the construction and financing of a solar projects portfolio of around 30 MW in Greece.
The team at Moussas & Partners Attorneys at Law is home to expertise in acquisitions, disposals, leasing, planning, projects, construction and residential, commercial and industrial developments. The team complements its core real estate and construction offering with supplementary knowledge of financings, restructurings, joint ventures, due diligence and real estate-related M&A. Led by Vassilios Moussas, the group likewise excels when it comes to planning permission, disputes, environmental and special land uses, urban planning and forestry-related mandates.
Other key lawyers:
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND (HRADF/ TAIPED)
- Advising the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund on the privatisation of Greece’s real estate properties.
- Acting for Metka S.A. in its successful tender bid for the construction and maintenance of electricity distribution network projects in the areas of Florina, Kefalonia, Ioannina and Komotini, proposed by the Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator S.A.
- Successfully represented Metka S.A., as the preferred bidder, in litigation before the Council of State to challenge the tender award announced by Ergose S.A. for the construction of the Kiato-Rododafni railway project.
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners fields an 'extremely efficient and pragmatic' team, which acts on the full array of construction and engineering matters in Greece and the rest of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, advising on front-end risk analysis, contract management, project financing and tender procedures, among other matters. Managing partner Ioannis Vassardanis is also active in terms of back-end construction disputes, leveraging his extensive experience in ICC, LCIA and SCC arbitrations. The firm is also active in the real estate space, where its workload involves development projects, hotel management agreements, sale and leasebacks, sales and acquisitions, and litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is composed of highly professional lawyers who are extremely efficient and pragmatic. The ease of contact, even for partners, and general responsiveness was very effective in concluding the deal positively.’
‘The partners and associates I was working with showed high professional standards along with skills and adaptability to the situation.’
ASEA BROWN BOVERI S.A.
The real estate department at Sagias and Partners Law Firm is headed by Spyros Sagias; he and his team direct particular emphasis towards high-value private real estate investments made in both the Greek mainland and islands. The group is also knowledgeable of developments, transactions and commercial operations in the hospitality sector, in addition to environmental protection affairs.
Other key lawyers:
Union Star Ltd
ISV Architects S.A. (“ISV S.A.”)
- Advised Pima Group on the acquisition of 14.5m sqm on the island of Zakynthos, part of one of the biggest investment projects in the Ionian islands.
- Advised Citygate S.A. on various legal issues related to the operation of its shopping centre as well as the commercial property owned by the client.
- Advising a prominent energy company in Greece on its project of developing one of the biggest PV parks in Europe in Fthiotis, Greece.
Sioufas & Associates Law Firm is active in a number of real estate areas, including land registration and ownership, property transactions, real estate-related due diligence, construction agreements and encumbrance registration on properties as mandated by loan agreements. George Sioufas has longstanding experience in significant real estate projects; he heads the department with Olga Eftychidou and Neoklis Neokleous.
George Sioufas; Neoklis Neokleous; Olga Eftychidou
EXCLUSIVE RESORTS SINGLE MEMBER PRIVATE COMPANY
PROODOS ACUMEN SINGLE MEMBER PRIVATE COMPANY
ATHINA INVEST LIMITED
DISTINCTION RESORTS SINGLE MEMBER PRIVATE COMPANY
BLUE ESSENCE RESORTS SINGLE MEMBER PRIVATE COMPANY
ALPHA BANK SA
QQUANT MASTER SERVICER
NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE
HELLAS CAPITAL LEASING
- Advised Alpha Bank on the conduct of title due diligence with the land registry and cadastre in connection to the borrowers’ properties for purposes of extension of loans secured in rem.
- Advised PQH on the implementation of a title due diligence with the land registry and cadastre in connection to the borrowers’ properties.
- Advised QQuant on the assignment of title due diligence with the land registry and cadastre in connection to the borrowers’ properties.