Firms in the Spotlight EU and competition
EU and competition in Greece
Praised for its ‘strong international experience and knowledge of competition law issues’, Bernitsas Law assists clients with cartel and market investigations, abuse of dominance issues and state aid cases. The group also has notable expertise in merger control matters; it recently advised Media-Saturn-Holding on the competition aspects of its proposed merger with Olympia Group. The department's EU law knowledge allows it to counsel clients on legislative issues relating to commercial, corporate and banking transactions. Marina Androulakakis leads the practice, which includes cartel specialist Panayotis Bernitsas and Augustine Almyroudi, who has strength in the competition and antitrust aspects of privatisations and joint ventures. Clients also single out senior associate Tania Patsalia.
‘Strong international experience and knowledge of competition law issues. Dedicated team in this field.’
‘High expertise. Strong experience not limited only to the Greek legal environment.’
Bristol Myers Squibb
BMW Hellas SA
CVC Group/Hellenic Healthcare Sàrl
Hellenic Fuels (formerly BP Hellas)
Hellenic Petroleum SA
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
- Successfully represented the AIG Group before the Hellenic Competition Commission relating to the acquisition of sole control over AIG Greece.
- Successfully represented Hellenic Healthcare before the Hellenic Competition Commission regarding its acquisition, through its wholly owned subsidiary Hellenic Healthcare Holding, of Hygeia, a leading private healthcare provider in Greece.
- Successfully represented the Attica Group, a leader in the provision of international ferry services in the Eastern Mediterranean sea, with respect to the merger clearance procedure before the Hellenic Competition Commission regarding its acquisition of Hellenic Seaways.
Dryllerakis & Associates provides ‘in-depth knowledge of competition law combined with great experience in related litigation’. Among the group's key areas of expertise are HCC investigation procedures, merger control cases, and state aid matters. The team is also highly knowledgeable of anti-trust private enforcement work and is developing an anti-trust consulting practice. Practice head Emmanuel Dryllerakis is noted for his ‘meticulous approach’ and ‘experience in working with international clients'. The team also includes John Dryllerakis, who has vast experience in the competition space. In a recent highlight, the team represented Unilever in a case brought by the HCC alleging abuse of dominance and vertical restraints in connection with its commercial practices.
‘Consistency and stability are a strong plus. The Firm continues being one of the top competition law boutiques.’
‘Cleomenis Yannikas is a hard-working lawyer and a safe pair of hands.’
‘Excellent support and representation at all stages of the procedure. Continuing communication with the partners. Proposing innovated solutions.’
‘Highly skilled at this law area. Efficient and targeted solutions.’
‘Strong local firm. Very high quality of work’
‘Cleomenis Yannikas & Emmanuel Dryllerakis: Hard workers, technically strong competition lawyers, experienced in working with international clients. Good value for money.’
‘Very strong expertise, very customer focused and solutions oriented, reasonable charges.’
‘Cleomenis Yannikas : very competent, deep knowledge in competition law. Sotiris Dempegiotis : strong knowledge on compliance, data protection, GDPR, very nice and friendly personality, solutions oriented.’
‘In-depth knowledge of competition law in combination with great experience in competition law litigation.’
‘The firm is undoubtedly one of the most acclaimed ones. Their legal spectrum is outstanding. In particular with regard to Competition law ,the practice has marked numerous successful precedents. The partners and associates as well as the office staff contribute to the excellency of the legal services they always deliver.’
‘Stand-out partners are John Dryllerakis, Emmanouil Dryllerakis and Cleomenis Giannikas. They all have a meticulous and in depth approach and study of the legal issues.’
ELAIS-UNILEVER HELLAS SA
Olympic Brewery (Carlsberg Group)
Dimera Publishing (ETHNOS newspaper)
Kathimerini Publishing S.A (Kathimerini newspaper)
- Acted for Orion in a cartel case against 13 undertakings.
- Represented Kathimerini Publishing and Dimera Publishing in a rare injunction procedure, which was initiated by the Hellenic Competition Commission in the market of press distribution.
- Acting for Salini Impregilo in a high-profile case before the HCC regarding the Greek public works sector; this is the biggest antitrust case currently examined by the HCC.
PotamitisVekris Law Firm is ‘unparalleled’ as the practice leaves ‘no room for uncertainties' across all areas of EU and Greek competition law including cartels, antitrust issues and state aid work. The team is also experienced in handling merger control filings before the European Commission. Group head Dimitris Loukas previously served as Vice President and Commissioner Rapporteur of the HCC; he is advising the Hellenic Republic Asset Redevelopment Fund on the competition and regulatory considerations arising from the privatisation process of DEPA. Vassilis Stergiou is also a key member of the team with expertise in antitrust compliance and abuse of dominance work.
‘Their knowledge and problem solving attitude is unparalleled, they leave no room for uncertainties, they are pragmatic and also impressively fast at doing business with a client. Although competition work is to some extent vague and theoretical, with them you are not going to lose time in theoretical legal discussions, but you will receive swift and direct answers to your questions and indeed innovative resolutions on the matters you engage them for.’
‘Dimitris is acknowledged as the n.1 legal practitioner in Greece regarding Competition Law Practice and he is also reputable at EU level. His track record is impressive, while he presents a unique characteristic, meaning that he is one of the very few legal practitioners that he has served both sides of the river, i.e. law profession and competition authorities. It is indeed a fact that nowadays the competition decisions in Greece that have created legal precedents and set the benchmark for other competition cases, are his. Dimitris Loukas has proven himself as a top practitioner, by becoming hands on and involved in all major commercial and M&A deals.’
MOTOR OIL (Refinery)
FCC Construccion SA
COCA COLA Hellenic Bottling Company
MASOUTIS (retail chain)
KLEEMANN Hellas SA
WIND Hellas (telecoms)
PROCTER & GAMBLE
Notos Com Holdings
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
Confederation of Greek Industrialists (Greek UNICE)
Grivalia Properties REIC
OMERS Administration Corporation
- Representing FCC Construction in its appeal before the Athens Court of Appeals for the annulment of the HCC’s decision, which imposed fines of €22m for FFC’s participation in the Greek construction cartel case.
- Advising Motor Oil on its merger notification before the HCC for the acquisition of joint control over Alpha TV station.
- Advising Wind on the competition aspects of its contemplated joint bid with Vodafone for the acquisition of Forthnet (a leading Pay-TV and broadband services provider in Greece).
Ballas, Pelecanos & Associates LPC has ‘exceptional expertise in competition law’ and the team has a distinct focus on the automotive, pharmaceuticals and energy industries. Gregory Pelecanos is praised for his ‘high-value’ work and ‘to-the-point’ advice; he heads up the varied practice, which is particularly reputed for handling adversarial competition matters including abuse of dominance work and antitrust claims. The firm is a member of the Automotive Law Club, an association of independent EU law firms which specialise in the sector.
‘The level of responsiveness is unique. They understand the case or request with the first email. Replies are specific and to the point. Deep knowledge of the market, competition and their practices.’
‘Exceptional expertise in distribution and competition law.’
‘Mr Pelecanos delivers high value work, his advice is to the point, and he always responds within minutes.’
‘Ballas, Pelecanos & Associates is one of the leading law firms in Greece. They are extremely competent, especially in the automotive sector. They have a wide spectrum of skills and a true international impact as they are member of several international networks.’
‘We have a special link with Gregory Pelecanos, since we worked with him a few years ago in the automotive industry. He is also the Greek associate in the pan-European automotive network we belong to. He is especially competent in distribution law, competition law and more specifically in the automotive industry.’
‘They have great knowledge of the automotive industry.’
‘Gregory Pelecanos no doubt is one of the best lawyers with detailed knowledge of competition law and the automotive industry.’
Mercedes Benz Greece/ Daimler Group
Ford Greece/ Ford Europe
Volvo Car Company/ Volvo Greece
Mazda Motor Europe/ Mazda Austria
Jansen Cilag/Johnson & Johnson
- Advised Heron on its acquisition of clientele from Greek Environmental & Energy Network (GREEN).
- Represented P&R Davaris before the Greek Supreme Administrative Court against Hellenic Competition Commission.
- Represented Ford Greece in an HCC investigation triggered by former dealer Peponis alleging various antitrust violations and vertical restraints.
Practitioners at Karatzas & Partners are noted by clients as ‘top experts in competition law’, combining their ‘deep knowledge’ of the law with a ‘commercial understanding’. The practice has a specific focus on merger clearance assignments, and also undertakes competition investigations, cartel issues, day-to-day antitrust matters, compliance work and litigation. The ‘exceptional’ Anna Manda oversees the department, which is active in a variety of sectors including the telecoms, financial services, banking, retail, automotive, food and drink, consumer products and distribution industries.
‘Mrs. Anna Manda handles our account and occasionally other partners of the firm are involved, based on needs. Anna is a well-known corporate financing & competition practitioner in Greece, with an impressive track record, not only at advisory level, but also at dispute resolution level.’
‘Top experts in competition law in Greece.’
‘Very specialised competition lawyers. Always available and very responsive.’
‘They are always available even at a very short notice, providing valuable input on issues raised, even of a complex nature. Their engagement, on tasks assumed, is very high and the responsiveness is very fast. Ms Anna Manda is an exceptional partner, dedicated, always reachable, understanding both legal conformity and business necessities.’
Eurobank Ergasias SA
Piraeus Bank SA
Mediterranean Shipping Company
Bain Capital Credit
GoldenTree Asset Management
NBG Pangaea REIC
- Advised Bain Capital on the merger control aspects of its acquisition from Piraeus Bank of non-performing and denounced corporate credit exposures.
- Represented Eurobank Ergasias (ERB) before the HCC in relation to the notification to the merger between ERB and Grivalia Properties REIC.
- Advised Pangaea on Greek antitrust matters relating to merger clearances of a number of acquisitions in the real estate market.
KLC Law Firm fields a team of ‘real experts in EU and competition law’, led by the ‘impressive expertise’ of Vassilis Karagiannis. The practice has a notable track record in HCC proceedings, merger approvals and state aid issues with experience appearing before the European Commission and European courts in addition to national authorities. The group handles a range of preliminary advice and regularly assists with the identification of competition requirements for projects and M&A transactions.
‘KLC Law Firm has successfully assisted us in the context of investigations initiated by the Hellenic Competition Commission. The team led by Dr. Vassilis Karagiannis is composed of lawyers who are real experts in EU and Greece competition law. This is a very responsive, smart and business-oriented team. In addition, the team is capable of working in French which is a real strength compared to other law firms.’
‘Dr. Karagiannis has impressive competition law expertise. He is able to provide sharp and in-depth analysis while explaining complex legal issues in a very comprehensive way for people not used to that practice.’
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND (HRADF)
Oxford University Press
PCS Hellas SA
- Advised HRADF as local legal adviser on the sale of its shares in Hellenic Petroleum.
- Representing Oxford University Press before the Hellenic Competition Commission.
- Advising Edison Group on matters related to the development of Poseidon and EastMed gas infrastructure projects.
Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm provides its clients with a ‘disciplined and rigorous approach to matters’. Its areas of expertise include cartels, merger clearances, joint ventures, state aid work and PPP matters, market investigations and consumer protection issues. Anastasia Dritsa is a ‘formidable and commanding presence’, and leads the team, which was recently bolstered by the arrival of Victoria Mertikopoulou from her position as Commissioner Rapporteur of the HCC. Key sectors for the team include the electricity, petrochemicals, telecoms, consumer goods, food and beverage, retail, media and pharmaceuticals industries.
‘Anastasia Dritsa is the partner in charge of a team handling the company’s defence in a cartel case. She is an extraordinary lawyer, as good as any I have worked with over my career in many jurisdictions. She is knowledgeable, articulate, and possess superb judgement and diplomatic skills. She is a formidable and commanding presence in a court or hearing room and quite persuasive and reassuring when dealing with business clients. More recently we used her services to help revise a complex joint venture arrangement with a Greek company. Again she and her team delivered excellent legal product in a timely way.’
‘Very good professionals, devoted to clients; disciplined and rigorous approach to matters; really kind and polite persons.’
‘Anastasia Dritsa – special person and professional; really skilled in the competition matters; outstanding performance in leading litigation.’
Gambro Lundia/Baxter Group
The Hellenic Financial Stability Fund
HENKEL Italia & HENKEL S.A.
AVAX S.A. – Construction
The Coca Cola Hellenic Bottling Company
AFOI SARAKAKIS S.A. – Automobile distribution
BEAT – Intermediation online Taxi Service Provider
British American Tobacco
- Acted for Gambro Lundia in a HCC investigation, following a complaint by a former collaborator relating to potential infringements of articles 101 and 102 of TFEU and their Greek equivalents related to vertical restraints and abuse of Gambro Lundia’s alleged dominant position.
- Advised Merck & Co’s Greek subsidiary, MSD, on the compliance of the restructuring of its wholesale distribution model with competition law.
- Advised on the restructuring of Henkel’s distribution network in Greece, via the supply of its subsidiaries, Henkel Hellas and Henkel Italia.
At Lambadarios Law Firm, the team has ‘professionalism and an ability to understand the client’s needs’. The practice’s core strength lies in matters involving the HCC, specifically those pertaining to cartels and dominance issues. Practice head Constantinos Lambadarios is a ‘true asset’ with expertise in merger controls and knowledge of the cosmetics, consumer products, construction, beer and automobile industries.
‘Their professionalism and ability to understand the needs of the clients.’
‘Constantinos Lambadarios: very professional and reliable person.’
‘Lambadarios Law Firm keeps a traditional family relationship with all clients, helping to inspire and guide them through antitrust cases which by nature are difficult to tackle. The Lambadarios team is always on the other side of the phone, and do not stop until any step is analytically assessed.’
‘Constantinos Lambadarios is certainly one of the most eminent individuals in the field in Greece; Constantinos always pursues the best for his client to the end, while at the same time maintains a unique tranquillity that helps better steer the case. This is even more helpful when it comes to presenting a case before the antitrust authorities: Constantinos’ true kindness, combined with his deep knowledge and experience in the field, is a true asset in difficult presentations or negotiations.’
‘Very fast (almost real time) response, high competence, high command of English.’
‘Costantinos Lambadarios – Team leader, excellent political and strategic insight. Prokopis Dimitriadis – High technical competence, high level of response. Both easy and pleasant to deal with.’
Rizzani de Eccher
- Retained by Athenian Brewery, a subsidiary of Heineken International, to advise on a fine imposed by the Hellenic Competition Commission.
- Retained by Goodyear Tires to advise on its antitrust compliance programme.
- Retained by Petropoulos, listed on the Athens Stock Exchange, to advise on the formation of a selective distribution agreement for Jaguar Land Rover for Greece.
Metaxas & Associates Law Firm
Metaxas & Associates Law Firm is ‘widely known in the Greek legal market for its profound expertise and quality in EU law and competition’. The group represents clients in abuse of dominance cases and claims of anti-competitive behaviour and state aid cases. It also handles the formation of state aid law schemes, compliance issues and antitrust work and acts in HCC proceedings. The practice also has an ‘excellent’ reputation in the energy sector. The department is jointly headed by Antonis Metaxas and Ioannis Floros; Floros recently joined the group and is ‘a top-quality expert in EU law’.
‘Their Competition team demonstrated a high level of knowledge on EU Law, while my communication has been ideal among the board of associates of the Firm I have been cooperating with. Although we have worked with other Law Firms on Competition Law and State Aid issues, Metaxas & Associates are my first choice in the field’
‘Professor Metaxas who holds the relevant Chair in the University of Athens is regarded as the leading authority in EU Law matters in Greece and his expertise in all fields of EU Law including EU Competition Law is impressive.’
‘In-depth knowledge of the energy sector legislation and very good expertise, result oriented approach.’
‘The Managing Partner, Professor Metaxas, has managed to assemble a team of top experts that makes you feel secure that you are being treated by one of the best legal teams in EU law matters in the country.’
‘Excellence in energy law and State aid matters.’
‘The positive thing with M&A Law Firm is that they specialise in very specific areas of the law so when it comes to EU and Competition disputes, one feels that they are the experts you need to cooperate with. They are our first choice in the field. I would definitely recommend them.’
Industrial Electricity Consumers
- Representing several clients against discriminatory administrative acts.
- Representing large industrial clients in legal disputes brought against the Public Power Corporation.
- Representing a client in a critical case against a state monopoly abusing its dominant position in the market.
The ‘competition law expertise’ at Nikolinakos & Partners Law Firm is ‘outstanding’, and clients single out the group for its ‘extensive expertise in cartels and abuses of dominance work’ in addition to its ‘antitrust litigation experience’. The technology and pharmaceutical sectors are fields where the team is particularly active and the practice also handles mergers, agency litigation and data protection cases. Practice head Nikos Nikolinakos is regarded as a ‘top-class counsel for competition law’, while Alexis Spyropoulos is 'vastly experienced in the field of agency litigation'.
‘Nikolinakos and Partners is a leader in the competition law area in Greece and has precious expertise and experience. It provides an outstanding level of service and sets the standard in antitrust law.’
‘The team provides an excellent level of service and stands out for its depth and quality. Its core competencies include antitrust and abuse proceedings and actions for damages, as well as merger controls.’
‘Nikos Nikolinakos is an impressive antitrust counsel. He has cutting-edge knowledge, strong strategic vision and excellent judgement. A clever strategist and an experienced antitrust litigator. I understand that he is particularly prominent in antitrust litigation, abuse proceedings and cartel cases.’
‘Dina Kouvelou is also a prominent antitrust counsel. She is supremely knowledgeable, creative, and responsive.. Mr Alexis Spyropoulos is an experienced competition lawyer. He is noted for his sound business acumen and his expertise in antitrust litigation and merger control.’
‘Their competition law expertise is outstanding. They are an experienced, responsive and talented competition law team that provides pragmatic advice on complex matters. They are outstanding and, at the same time, pleasant to work with.’
‘Dr Nikos Nikolinakos is a competition law expert. He is superb in negotiation and settlement strategies. Furthermore he is skilful and effective in competition law litigation. Ms Dina Kouvelou is a competition law specialist, with vast experience. She combines pragmatism with great technical skills. She is exceptional and solution-oriented.’
‘Nikolinakos & Partners has formed a highly regarded competition law practice, with high level of service. It is a pragmatic team with excellent skills and commercial acumen. I consider them a a leading player in both antitrust consulting and litigation. especially in highly regulated industries.’
‘Dr Nikos Nikolinakos is a top-class antitrust counsel. He focuses on abuse of dominance, cartel matters, price-fixing and antitrust litigation. I would recommend him for complex legal matters that require creativity as well as strategic and tactical thinking.’
‘Mr Alexis Spyropoulos is also a competition law expert. He provides clear, commercial advice and is highly knowledgeable, friendly and client-focused. In addition, Mr Spyropoulos is a vastly experienced lawyer in the field of agency litigation, especially since he served for many years as the head of the legal department in the Greek Telecoms and Post Regulatory Authority.’
GRID Telecom Greece S.A.
Profile Software S.A.
Innovis Pharma S.A.
- Acting for Vodafone before the National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (EETT) in a formal complaint submitted by the client against OTE for violation of electronic communications law and competition law through the commercial launch of fixed mobile bundles by OTE and its mobile subsidiary Cosmote.
- Providing ongoing telecoms regulatory and competition law advice to Grid Telecom Greece, mainly regarding major agreements for dark fibre leases.
- Providing ongoing regulatory and competition law support on all aspects related to the activities of Volton Hellenic Energy.
P.V. Kanellopoulos & Partners Law Firm
Stavropoulos & Partners combines ‘deep and valuable legal advice with an absolute knowledge of the client’s company'. The group’s core expertise spans HCC investigations, merger control issues, horizontal and vertical agreements and abuse of dominance matters. Evanthia Tsiri is an expert in the fast moving consumer goods, environment, construction and banking sectors, and ‘stands out for her leadership skills and excellent knowledge in EU and competition law’. She leads the department alongside Ioannis Stavropoulos.
‘What makes Stavropoulos & Partners’ practice unique to our company is the deep and valuable legal advice combined with the absolute knowledge of our company’s business and day-to-day needs. This is also reflected with a highly professional and responsive way of working, which makes Stavropoulos a true business partner.’
‘Evanthia Tsiri stands our for her leadership skills and excellent knowledge in EU and Competition Law. At the same time, Efi has a deep knowledge of Corporate Law, which makes her an exquisite and trusted legal advisor.’
‘Terspihore Magdalinou stands our for her excellent knowledge and very good collaboration with our Company, providing direct, immediate and valuable legal advice.’
‘Efthymia Armata is an excellent Competition lawyer with profound knowledge in EU Competition law, as well as anti trust compliance programs. Efi collaborates perfectly with our Commerce team, she is well respected in the Company and accomplishes to adapt our business needs within the legal requirements.’
Du Pont Hellas
Hellenic Recycling Company
- Represented FrieslandCampina Hellas before the HCC in a settlement procedure in the market for the production and marketing of dairy products regarding infringements of article 1 of the Greek Competition Law and 101TFEU.
- Co-defended Athenian Brewery before the HCC and the Athens Administrative Court of Appeal against allegations of abuse of dominance in the beer market; the case is currently under appeal before the Council of State.
- Handled the notification of a collective packaging waste recovery system before the HCC for Hellenic Recycling Company.
Zepos & Yannopoulos has ‘in-depth knowledge in the fields of EU and Greek competition law’, and assists clients with a ‘wide spectrum of relevant matters’. The team has extensive expertise in antitrust, merger control, cartel and state law matters, which it compliments with sector-specific knowledge of the energy, pharmaceuticals, automotive, media, cosmetics, retail, food and waste management industries. Stefanos Charaktiniotis ‘can be singled out for his high responsiveness’ and Stamatis Drakakakis leads the practice following the departure of Emmanuel Mastromanolis; Drakakakis joined the practice from Koutalidis Law Firm in early 2020.
‘We have a long-standing seamless collaboration with Zepos & Yannopoulos law firm. The firm’s high-calibre EU and competition team has in depth knowledge in the fields of EU and Greek competition law and has been assisting us on a wide spectrum of competition law matters, including the representation of our company before the competition authorities and the provision of legal advice in relation to antitrust review and drafting of agreements, as well as antitrust corporate compliance.’
‘The team involved has top-tier expertise in the areas of Greek and EU competition law and demonstrates strong capabilities in transactional and behavioural antitrust matters. Dr. Stefanos Charaktiniotis leads the practice and can be singled out for his high responsiveness and for being able to anticipate our needs and address them in a timely manner through tailor made solutions, frequently involving a unique interdisciplinary approach. He provides solid advice and he is a reliable professional!’
‘Dynamic practice which great balance between young and more experienced lawyers. Comprehensive expertise in the field with multi-language legal professions.’
ALSTOM TRANSPORT S.A.
DUBAI AEROSPACE ENTERPRISE
L’ OREAL HELLAS
MACEDONIAN THRACE BREWERY S.A.
MAN TRUCK HELLAS S.A.
PPC (Public Power Corporation)
PUBLIC NATURAL GAS SUPPLY COMPANY (DEPA S.A.)
VAN OORD B.V.
- Represented Alstom Transport in proceedings before the Hellenic Competition Commission relating to the so-called ‘cartel of the construction sector’.
- Currently representing Vergina – Macedonia Thrace Brewery in the context of its intervention with the Council of State in proceedings of cassation filed by the Athenian Brewery.
- Represented L’Oreal before the Athens Administrative Court of Appeals, which overruled the decision of the Hellenic Competition Commission, which imposed a fine totalling €2.6m for its alleged participation in the so called ‘cartel of the cosmetic companies’.
A. & K. Metaxopoulos & Partners Law Firm is noted for its ‘legal skills and in-depth knowledge’. Kriton Metaxopoulos heads up the team, which in a recent work highlight, represented DVD replicator Digital Press Hellas in a dispute with Philips over production patent royalties. The group also advised Adidas Hellas on the review of its commercial policies and terms of cooperation with retailers.
‘The partner has unparalleled legal skills and in depth knowledge of a wide spectrum of the law. His high demanding personality coupled with his unique managerial charisma inspires the team and makes the bond tight and resourceful.’
‘The individuals have a team spirit and not only they deliver at the highest level but most of all they enjoy and in the same time enhance their performance.’
Digital Press Hellas
Specialist knowledge of the team at Politis & Partners spans merger control issues, antitrust planning work and matters pertaining to EU treaties, regulations and directives. Evangelos Politis leads the practice, which notably represents the European Commission and recently acting on its behalf in disputes with private and public entities in Greece who were beneficiaries of community subsidy programs. The group also recently advised Bosch Rexroth on the EU and anti-trust considerations relating to the drafting of its sales and distribution contracts.
Mood Media Hellas LLC
V+O Communication & Consulting S.A.
- Advised Mood Media Hellas, the Greek subsidiary of a French multinational company, on general corporate matters and group regulation compliance issues.
- Assisting V+O Communication & Consulting with regard to its growth strategy, public tenders, anti-trust law and business contracts.
- Representing a number of shareholders of a large family business, formerly dominant in the foreign language books wholesale and resale market, in a prolonged litigation initiated by market competitors.
At Sarantitis, the ‘experienced’ Terina Raptis leads the team, which is noted for its ‘deep knowledge’ and is well-versed in appearing before the HCC, Greek Administrative Courts and the European Commission, handling a caseload which includes merger control and state aid matters. The group also has expertise in competition compliance issues in the context of exclusive, non-exclusive and selective distribution agreements; the practice regularly oversees the drafting, conclusion, operation and termination of relevant contracts.
‘They have a very deep knowledge of dispute resolution and Greek laws, very responsible.’
‘Terina Raptis is a very responsible person, knowing details of legal issues in Greece and experience in dispute resolution.’
The under Special Administration Hellenic Shipyards SA
Virtus International Partners LP and Group of Investors advised by Virtus
HIG European Capital Partners SAS
Katogi Averoff SA
Yama Hellas SA
Neptune Lines Shipping and Managing Enterprises SA
Blackmagic Design Pty Ltd.
- Advised HIG European Capital Partners on potential competition concerns arising from the potential merger of two out of the three European leading players in seabream and seabass.
- Representing Katogi Averoff in an unfair competition dispute with a former lessor of Katogi Averoff’s wineyards at Moni Voutsa, Epirus.
- Advising Yama Hellas on its negotiations with Inticom for the conclusion of a new exclusive distribution agreement for Greece.
VAINANIDIS ECONOMOU & ASSOCIATES LAW FIRM handles competition matters in the pharmaceuticals, hotel, construction, cosmetics, food and industrial sectors. Merger clearances and antitrust compliance work are also areas of expertise for the department, which is also experienced in handling HCC investigations relating to horizontal and vertical agreements and abuse of dominance issues. Aida Economou serves as practice head.
The team at Your Legal Partners advises on all aspects of competition law at a national and European level. Maria Golfinopoulou heads the department, which leverages expertise in the tobacco, information technology, telecoms, toys and petroleum sectors. The team’s expertise spans antitrust matters, HCC filings and merger control work in addition to considerations relevant to restructurings, strategic alliances and supply agreements. The group also assists with EU procurement law, utilising the practice’s experience in handling major privatisations and public tenders.
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
Th. Vassilakis Group
JTI (JAPAN TOBACCO INTERNATIONAL)
Nostira (RES industry)
- Acted for Autohellas Tourist and Trading Company on increasing its stake in Eltrak to 100% by acquiring the remaining shares from the other shareholder.
- Acted for Evergolf Tourist Investments, owned by the Vassilakis family, on the acquisition of a 70% stake in Golf Residences, owned by the Sbokos family.
- Acting for JTI Cyprus in a current investigation conducted by the Commission for the Protection of Competition (C.P.C.) of the Republic of Cyprus.