Shipping is one of Hassans‘ core areas of expertise, in which it offers a ‘depth of resources’ to handle asset finance, insurance matters and vessel registration, including on the recently expanded registration of all types of pleasure yachts. On the contentious front, the team maintains a busy practice acting in collision claims, maritime employment-related issues and charter party issues. Lewis Baglietto KC has over 25 years’ experience in wet and dry shipping. Yvonne Chu lends her expertise on shipping finance and maritime-related security transactions.
Shipping in Gibraltar
Other key lawyers:
‘The extensive team available ensures prompt availability for any unplanned and urgent advice required. The shipping team always has depth of resources, and a multi-layered approach which means that there is always continuity at all times.’
‘Noted for its dedication, wealth of experience, specialization as well as the wider experience and ability to bring in specialist support from wider sectors.’
Caterpillar Finance Services UK Ltd
Gibraltar Port Authority
Gibraltar Maritime Administration
- Advising and acting in relation to sanctions applicable to Russian-owned vessels.
- Advising the Gibraltar government on shipping legislation for compliance with international maritime obligations.
- Advising various HNWIs on the purchase of superyachts and their subsequent registration with the Gibraltar Yacht Registry as SSR and/or Part 1 Registrations.
Christian Hernandez is the lead shipping partner at ISOLAS LLP, where he is known for his wide client portfolio ranging from the International Transport Workers Federation and P&I Clubs through to banks and shipowners. Recently, Hernandez has been engaged in a significant number of ship arrest matters, and continues to maintain a steady vessel financing practice. Senior associate Michael Adamberry specialises in ship arrests, collisions and marine casualties, as well as non-contentious advisory work such as licensing applications.
Other key lawyers:
Triay Lawyers Ltd
Triay Lawyers Ltd is noted for its ‘excellent all-round knowledge of transactional shipping and finance matters'. The highly regarded James Ramagge has recently been busy advising on vessel refinancing, ship sales and arrests. Raymond A Triay's experience spans ship arrests, registrations and sales, among other matters.
James Ramagge; Raymond Triay
‘Excellent all round knowledge of transactional shipping and finance matters. Very reactive and user-friendly. Highly recommended.’
‘James Ramagge is exceptional in his shipping industry knowledge, diligence, commitment and skill. We would always go to him for work in Gibraltar.’
- Advising KFW-IPEX bank on the arrest and subsequent sale by way of a private treaty sale of the cruise vessel Crystal Endeavor to Royal Caribbean Group for US $275m.
- Advising JP Morgan SE on the arrest and sale by way of public auction of the superyacht “Axioma”, whose beneficial owner was the subject of sanctions relating to Russia.