Hassans garners significant praise from clients, with one noting that it is 'the top firm for real estate and construction in Gibraltar'. Its team's workload spans renewals of leases, sales and purchases, and landlord and tenant disputes. In the construction space, the firm has been working with developers on the planning, financing and construction of several of Gibraltar's largest residential and mixed-use developments. Practice head Nicholas Howard is 'exceptionally able on all aspects of commercial real estate'. Also recommended are Ian Farrell and 'gifted construction contract lawyer' Gemma Vasquez.
Real estate and construction in Gibraltar
‘Hassans is the top firm in Gibraltar for real estate and construction – solid team with a wide spectrum of expertise including residential and commercial conveyance, commercial advice and all aspects of construction and contracting. Quick turnaround of work and strength in depth.’
‘Nicholas Howard is exceptionally able on all aspects of commercial real estate. Always available at short notice and with an exceptional litigation overview.’
‘Gemma Vasquez is an up and coming construction expert who has exceptional commercial aptitude and quick to understand the objectives.’
‘Gemma Vasquez gifted construction contract lawyer, who listens and then adapts’
Commercial Development Investments Ltd (Developers of Midtown)
Hilstone Properties Ltd (Arengos )
Forbes Property Ltd
Tylee Properties Ltd (The Hub)
- Advised Gibraltar Football Association on the commercial and property aspects of its acquisition of the Victoria Stadium.
- Acting for the developer of Sylvian Suites, a new Gibraltar development consisting of approximately 36 residential buildings in the heart of the Old Town.
- Advising the developer of Arengos Gardens on the planning, financing, construction and sale of a luxury residential development.
ISOLAS LLP's team has a 'very good range of experience' in commercial and residential landlord and tenant work. Its team also assists local and foreign developers with all stages of construction projects - particularly major commercial development projects - from inception to completion. Mark Isola QC and Samantha Grimes are the key figures.
Europort Group of Companies
Government of Gibraltar
Gibraltar Naval Trust
- Advising Glenthorne Holdings Limited on the circa £31m acquisition of Europort Buildings, Gibraltar’s largest commercial property development.
- Advising Europort Five Limited on all matters relating to the design and construction of an extension to the Gibraltar General Hospital and an extension to the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission’s offices.
- Assisted Kings Wharf Limited with all sales documentation, loan facility agreements, leases and re-structuring of head title and other legal support relating to the development of Quay 31, the third of three phases of the Kings Wharf Development.
Triay & Triay has a strong track record in real estate projects and real estate finance transactions in Gibraltar, as well as those involving Gibraltar entities. Julian Triay is regularly instructed by commercial landlords and tenants on contentious and non-contentious real estate matters. Consultant Abraham Serfaty QC is, according to one client, 'the most knowledgeable conveyancing lawyer in the market'.
‘Abraham Serfaty QC is the most knowledgeable lawyer in the market. He makes his clients feel secure in any real estate deal.’
‘I have found the team at Triay & Triay to be very professional and efficient.’
Rank Digital Services (Gibraltar)
- Advising several buyers and sellers of property, off plan buyers, landlords and tenants on lease grants, dilapidations, rent reviews and dispute resolution.
- Advising Fisher Group Limited on the grant of a lease to a large supermarket chain.
- Assisting the seller, La Gendamerie, with its redevelopment and conversion from an old police station to an office building for Deloitte Gibraltar, an art gallery and a restaurant and in the construction and associated dispute with neighbours.
TSN Barristers & Solicitors
At TSN Barristers & Solicitors, Charles Lavarello has experience of working with the Gibraltar Government on many Government-backed property schemes, and represented developers in some of Gibraltar’s largest development projects. Lavarello also regularly acts for banks on large finance transactions.