Hassans maintains a balanced claimant and defendant practice, with a long track record acting for major multinationals and SMEs across the full breadth of disputes in Gibraltar. It is also a popular choice among international firms for referrals. The firm has a strong mediation practice, and its ‘very knowledgeable and efficient‘ lawyers, led by Lewis Baglietto, are experienced in partnership, company and insolvency disputes, as well as in tracing, freezing and asset recovery. Senior advocate Gillian Guzman KC specialises in employment, equality and clinical negligence cases, among others, while Darren Martinez focuses on disputes involving commercial, insolvency and construction law and cryptocurrency. Daniel Feetham KC is another top litigator.
Dispute resolution in Gibraltar
Other key lawyers:
Gillian Guzman; Daniel Feetham; Darren Martinez
‘Litigation experience is incredibly strong, staff used at appropriate grades. The partner can be reached at any time, and proactive communication is excellent.’
‘Extremely pleasant and effective in cooperation with lawyers in foreign jurisdictions. Very knowledgeable and efficient, fantastic presenters in Court.’
‘Daniel Feetham is very knowledgeable and offers balanced advice. He is always on hand, and does not defer to colleagues – he answers calls immediately or, if he is busy, as soon as he can thereafter.’
Republic of Kazakhstan
The Swedish Club
Caterpillar Finance Services UK Ltd
The Minister for Justice
Motor Insurance Bureau
Gibraltar Financial Services Commission
- Advised Wardour on enforcing a circa €100m judgment in favour of a liquidator in other jurisdictions including the Netherlands and Ukraine.
- Instructed by the Joint Administrators of Green Realisations 123 (formerly MCE Limited) which was placed into Administration in November 2021.
- Acted for Panorama and a journalist in a defamation case in which a preliminary issue was whether the defendants were entitled to a jury.
Triay Lawyers Ltd
Triay Lawyers Ltd fields ‘a strong and competent litigation team‘ comprising commercial, insolvency and financial services litigators Freddie Vasquez KC and Charles Simpson; personal injury and IP partner Simon Triay; and Raymond A Triay, who specialises in admiralty cases. Senior associate Dhiraj Nagrani often works on commercial and personal injury claims, and Sebastian Triay works alongside Simpson on complex contractual and commercial disputes.
Charles Simpson; Freddie Vasquez KC
Other key lawyers:
Raymond Triay; Simon Triay; Dhiraj Nagrani; Sebastian Triay
‘Triay has a strong and competent litigation team which has been essential for the successful management of complex high value commercial litigation. They have been able to mobilise quickly when required and meet the client’s demands as required.’
‘The team’s years of local expertise and dispute resolution practice techniques are very professional in their undertaking. Their ongoing communication on cases and their service is impeccable.’
‘Dhiraj Nagrani – His professional expertise, honest opinions and constant case engagement.’
Liquidator of Enterprise Insurance Company Plc (in liquidation)
Pukka Insurance / Freedom Services Group
Administrators of Elite Insurance
Barclays Bank (UK)
PwC in their capacity as joint liquidators of Kijani Resources Limited and Ratio Limited (both in liquidation)
Terra Raf Trans Trading Ltd
STM Group (IOM) Ltd
KFW IPEX- Bank
Eazi Telecom Limited
- Acted for the liquidator of Enterprise Insurance in relation to a misfeasance claim against former directors.
- Acts on behalf of Terra Raf Trans Traiding in relation to the resistance of an application to register English judgments concerning costs awards in relation to an arbitration.
- Acting on behalf of JP Morgan in connection to the arrest of superyacht M/V Axioma.
ISOLAS LLP is known for its work representing the Government of Gibraltar, insurers in insurance insolvencies, and other clients in disputes involving gaming and cryptocurrency elements. The practice is led by Samantha Grimes and senior employment litigator Mark Isola KC, along with civil litigator James Montado and Neil Costa, who leads on insolvency, fraud and contentious trusts cases. Senior associate Danielle Victor heads the personal injury and clinical negligence practice, acting mainly for defendants.
Samantha Grimes; Mark Isola KC; James Montado; Neil Costa
Other key lawyers:
‘ISOLAS is one of the leading firms in Gibraltar and the calibre of its team is second to none. I have worked with Neil Costa in several cases and his professionalism, extensive knowledge, experience and calm approach has been a major factor in the success achieved.’
‘Neil Costa is a great defence counsel. His calm and empathetic demeanour offered emotional and professional support during a very difficult time for the business. He always keeps to deadlines and makes himself available all the time despite his very busy agenda. I am grateful for his service, and I hereby recommend Neil without reservation.’
Her Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar – Director of Employment
Royal Gibraltar Police
Her Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar – the Chief Secretary of Gibraltar and the Human Resources Manager
Prometheus Insurance Company Limited
Kingstar UK Ltd
- Providing legal services to the Director of Employment and the Department of Employment, including an analysis of Gibraltar’s primary and secondary legislation.
- Instructed by The Royal Gibraltar Police to represent their interests in a Coroner’s inquest.
- Acting for a company in respect of a dishonest assistance claim against directors and trustees.
Signature Litigation LLP excels in large-scale commercial litigation and arbitration. Distinguished as a leading independent disputes boutique in Gibraltar, the practice has strong cross-border capabilities given its links to the London and Paris markets. Trusts, estates disputes and contentious probate proceedings are other key areas of work. ‘Brilliant tactician and outstanding advocate‘ Elliott Phillips is the lead figure for civil fraud, asset tracing, insolvency and shareholder disputes.
‘Elliott Phillips is very responsive, personable and efficient.’
‘This is a superb team led by Elliott Phillips, an outstanding practitioner and one of the best lawyers in Gibraltar. The team is incredibly user friendly and responsive, extremely strategic and commercial in its approach and a joy to work with.’
‘Elliott Phillips is simply superb. A brilliant tactician and outstanding advocate, he leads his team with incredible skill and care.’
Discovery Global LLC
Trafalgar Multi Asset Holding Company Limited (In Liquidation)
Family of the Late Robert Bates
Petroleum Company of Trinidad and Tobago
BWIN GVC Holdings (Gibraltar) Limited
EIG Services Limited (In Liquidation) (EIG)
Fidux Trust Company
Capital Growth Limited
- Representing Discovery Global in an investor-state arbitration against the Republic of Slovakia which has been filed with the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes.
- Successfully represented GibFibre Limited (a privately owned broadband operator) in a dispute against Gibtelecom.
- Representing a client in an unfair prejudice petition.