Dispute resolution in Gibraltar
Hassans, which is noted for its full-service disputes practice, has a strong track record representing claimants and defendants in commercial litigation. Its areas of strength include matters involving joint ventures, partnerships and company law issues. In addition, its team has experience of defending insurance companies in negligence claims, and is also active in the liquidation of insurance companies. Lewis Baglietto QC heads up the team, which also includes Gillian Guzman QC and Daniel Feetham QC. Also recommended is senior associate Darren Martinez, who is active in commercial, insolvency, construction and cryptocurrency disputes. John Restano departed the firm following his appointment to the Supreme Court of Gibraltar in July 2019. Anne Rose left for Ince Gibraltar and Michele Walsh left for an in-house position.
Lewis Baglietto QC
Caterpillar Finance Services UK
The Swedish Club
The Minister for Justice
- Acting for the Gibraltar Port Authority in a contentious matter arising from the detention of supertanker “Grace 1” for breach of EU sanctions against Syria.
- Advising a financial institution on a significant mortgage default and subsequent repossession.
- Acted for GVC Holdings in a precedent-setting land dispute concerning the application of s.69 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1983 on commercial leases.
Triay & Triay is a 'top choice' for private clients, international financial institutions and insurers. Freddie Vasquez QC, Charles Simpson and Simon Triay are the lead partners in the team, which covers all types of commercial disputes, and is active in contentious insolvency cases, trust disputes and negligence claims. Associate Dhiraj Nagrani works closely with Triay on complex personal injury claims, with a emphasis on supporting insurers on all types of personal injury, clinical negligence and employers' liability claims.
Freddie Vasquez QC, Charles Simpson, Simon Triay
Grant Thornton Gibraltar
- Acting for Grant Thornton in Gibraltar’s largest insurance liquidation, which involves various claims against a number of parties.
- Acted for Argus Insurance in a high-value personal injury claim following a road traffic accident.
- Represented Middle Sea Insurance in a personal injury claim arising from a road traffic accident. The matter was complicated by a subsequent brain injury resulting from suspected domestic violence.
The disputes practice at ISOLAS LLP is best known for its strengths in insurance, insolvency, employment and general commercial litigation. The team is led by 'top class litigator', Mark Isola QC, who has expertise in employment and landlord and tenant disputes. Recently promoted partner James Montado, who is experienced in undertaking advocacy before the Supreme Court of Gibraltar, represents clients in civil litigation with an emphasis on insolvency, fraud and contentious trusts.
Mark Isola QC
‘Mark Isola QC is a top-class litigator‘
Gibraltar Financial Services Commission
Media Protocol Limited
Hill Insurance Company
- Acting for the Official Receiver of HM Government of Gibraltar who, for the first time, was appointed as liquidator of a regulated entity due to the extent of the financial collapse of LAMP Insurance Company.
- Defending the Financial Services Commission, its CEO and its Director of Legal against a defamation claim brought by the former non-executive chairman of Enterprise Insurance Company.
- Acting for the the liquidator in Gibraltar’s first cryptocurrency insolvency.
Signature Litigation AARPI
Boutique disputes practice Signature Litigation AARPI specialises in high-value commercial litigation, contentious trusts and estates matters, regulatory issues and insolvency cases. Much of the work involves cross-border elements. Elliott Phillips, who is a specialist in international trusts and estates disputes, is the main contact. His practice also covers civil fraud, asset tracing, insolvency and shareholder disputes. Associate Steven De Lara is also recommended.
Petroleum Company of Trinidad and Tobago
BWIN GVC Holdings (Gibraltar) Limited
Fidux Trust Company
- Representing GibFibre (a privately-owned broadband operator) in a claim against Gibtelecom (a wholly owned Government company and incumbent telecoms operator) over the denial by Gibtelecom of GibFibre’s request for access to a data centre owned by Gibtelecom.
- Acting for EIG Services Limited, a sister company of Enterprise Insurance Company, in claims relating to the provision of services under a marketing services agreement.
- Acting for a multinational financial services company in a multimillion pound trusts dispute.
TSN Barristers & Solicitors
TSN Barristers & Solicitors undertakes commercial litigation and arbitration, trusts disputes, asset tracing, construction and admiralty work. Guy Stagnetto QC is particularly knowledgeable about disputes centred on construction, professional and medical negligence, and administrative law. Keith Azopardi QC regularly appears before Gibraltar’s courts and tribunals in high-profile public law, commercial law and trusts cases. Practice chair James Neish QC, who is experienced in matters before the Gibraltar Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, is an expert in international insolvency law.
Guy Stagnetto QC, James Neish QC