Commercial, corporate and M&A in Gibraltar
Hassans' 'very dynamic and commercially astute' team is 'well-connected and provides excellent solutions'. The practice is particularly active in corporate structuring and reorganisations, and also has additional capabilities in joint ventures and all aspects of commercial law. It also frequently advises the Gibraltar Government on matters such as the development and delivery of Companies Act and Insolvency Act. 'Rainmaker' James Levy CBE QC leads the 'excellent team', which includes Michael Castiel, Peter Montegriffo QC, Vikram Nagrani, Ian Felice, Abigail Cornelio and Isaac Levy.
James Levy CBE QC
‘Senior partner James Levy is the rainmaker in the firm and will work hard to ensure excellent solutions are presented on a timely basis.’
‘Excellent team led by James Levy, which has competent lawyers with strong commercial awareness (which is not a mix of quality often seen in lawyers).’
‘The Hassans corporate & commercial team is simply incredibly talented and capable, and reflective of a small jurisdiction punching considerably above its weight. The experience and depth of knowledge of James Levy, Peter Montegriffo and Michael Castiel is unrivalled and makes Hassans a go-to firm in Gibraltar for legal advice.’
Government of Gibraltar
Gibraltar Football Association
- Acting for the Gibraltar Football Association on the commercial and property aspects of its acquisition of the Victoria Stadium.
- Advised the Pacific Drilling Group on the various extensive and complex Gibraltar restructuring and insolvency aspects relating to the Group’s emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Advising on financial services and regulatory, corporate and commercial aspects of the re-domiciliation and relocation of a licensed and regulated entity out of Gibraltar.
ISOLAS LLP offers a 'breadth of expertise' across a range of corporate and commercial matters, including those involving restructuring and insolvency, corporate governance and joint ventures, among others. Names to note include Peter Isola and Steven Caetano, who combine corporate transactional and regulatory expertise with knowledge about the gaming sector. Insurance specialist Christian Caetano is another key figure.
Casino (Gibraltar) Limited
Coinsilium Group Limited
- Advised Casino (Gibraltar) (Novomatic/Admiral) on the asset purchase of land-based casino at Sunborn Gibraltar Yacht Hotel, Ocean Village.
- Advised Coinsilium Group on the establishment of the group’s Gibraltar subsidiary, various associated corporate structuring matters and migration of certain business activities.
- Advised Petrus Insurance Company, a Gibraltar captive insurer for the UK Dixons Carphone business, on an insurance business transfer with Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC.
At Triay & Triay, Javier Triay has considerable experience of takeovers, company acquisitions and corporate finance, among other corporate and commercial matters. He is equally strong acting for established international corporates and start-ups. Alan Buchanan is 'a reputable name' for high-value transactions.
Alan Buchanan, Javier Triay
Jyske Bank (Gibraltar)
Nomura International PLC
Ladbrokes Coral Group
- Advised Jyske Bank on the sale of the entire issued share capital of its Gibraltar subsidiary to Rooke Investments Limited.
- Ongoing advice to the liquidator of Enterprise Insurance Company on the liquidation of a high-profile Gibraltar regulated insurer writing insurance in various European jurisdictions.
Ince Gibraltar was formed when Ince Gordon Dadds LLP acquired Ramparts in April 2019; this development was followed by the arrival of Andrew Tait (a specialist in gambling, betting and regulatory law) from the London office to build the practice in Gibraltar. The firm's work includes company formations and structuring, mergers and partnerships.
TSN Barristers & Solicitors
At TSN Barristers & Solicitors, managing partner Louis Triay (who heads up the corporate and commercial departments) is experienced in cross-border restructurings and M&A, among other matters. He also regularly assists the Government of Gibraltar with various company legislation and corporate governance issues.