Hassans is the 'go-to' firm for many leading financial institutions and international corporate clients. Its practice handles a varied portfolio of mandates, including the establishment and licensing of banks, e-money institutions, insurance companies and investment firms. It also advises clients on anti-money laundering issues and undertakes capital markets work. Valerie Holliday is an expert in international finance transactions, and has also been instrumental in setting up the first e-money institutions in Gibraltar. Nigel Feetham QC, who took silk in 2019, is particularly knowledgeable about insurance passporting, the structuring of insurance companies and protected cell companies. Tony Provasoli, Yvonne Chu and Francis Warne are the other key partners.
Banking and finance in Gibraltar
‘The go-to firm in Gibraltar for strength in depth – combines all the benefits of the largest law firm with high levels of engagement and availability. The team always act in a commercial and balanced manner.‘
‘Excellent team led by Tony Provasoli with Valerie Holliday and Francis Warne, very capable on banking matters in Gibraltar. Yvonne Chu is excellent across a number of fields of insurance, private equity and shipping. A great team and each member is approachable, commercial and very sound in his/her area.‘
Brit Insurance PCC Limited
- Advising G-Rock on the regulatory aspects of its banking licence application in Gibraltar.
- Acting for Jyske Bank on the financing of Eurocity, which is one of the largest real estate developments in Gibraltar.
- Advised Premium Insurance Company Limited on its redomicilation from Gibraltar to Malta; this was the first redomicilation of a Gibraltar insurance company in over a decade.
ISOLAS LLP handles a wide range of transactions, including those involving corporate finance, structured finance and shipping finance. On the regulatory side, its team have also been actively advising on GDPR compliance, as well as the implementation and applicability of MiFIDII, PSD2, PAD and subsequent new technical standards regulations. Christian Hernandez is a figure to note for international securitisations, real estate finance and the establishment and licensing of banks and captive insurance companies. Elsewhere, Christian Caetano and James Montado have a strong focus on insurance, gaming and financial regulations respectively.
Lombard Odier & Cie
Barclays Bank Plc
Credit Agricole Corporate
and Investment Bank
Kings Wharf Ltd
Jyske Bank (Gibraltar)
- Assisted Lombard Odier & Cie with the sale of its Gibraltar banking and wealth management business and client book to Bank J Safra Sarasin (Gibraltar).
- Advising Barclays Bank on the Gibraltar law aspects of the provision of $50m finance to the 888 group of companies.
- Acting for Crédit Agricole Corporate andInvestment Bank, Goldman Sachs international and Morgan Stanley Bank International (as global co-ordinators and bookrunners) on the Gibraltar law aspects of a circa €2.6bn financing package provided to Altran technologies to fund the acquisition of Aricent Technologies and then refinance certain existing group debt.
Triay & Triay specialises in cross-border finance transactions involving investments in Gibraltar, as well as those involving Gibraltar companies internationally. It has a strong focus on corporate finance and project finance work, and is also sought out for advice on regulatory issues. The team has also been very actively assisting various businesses in the financial sector with restructurings and business transfers in preparation for Brexit. Joseph E Triay is 'highly knowledgeable and adept at finding the right legal and commercial solutions for his clients.' Javier Triay, Alan Buchanan and senior associates Javi Triay and Jay Gomez are also names to note.
‘Partners’ knowledge of banking law is high, and they are also personable and easy to deal with.’
‘Joseph Triay is a delight to work with. He is highly knowledgeable about all aspects of banking and finance, intelligent, resourceful and adept at finding the right legal and commercial solutions for his clients.’
Jyske Bank A/S Yes
Jyske Bank (Gibraltar)
Nomura International PLC
- Assisted Mercuria Energy Trading SA with reviewing and advising on facilities agreements (and related security documents) and corporate capacity matters in connection with debtor-in-possession (chapter 11) proceedings in the United States of America concerning the Aegean Marine Petroleum Network Inc.
- Advised National Westminster Bank on the proposed provision of a loan facility to a Gibraltar company, as well as related security taken over a ship owned by the company.
- Advised a Qatari lending institution on a finance and security transaction to be entered into by a Gibraltar-registered company.
TSN Barristers & Solicitors
TSN Barristers & Solicitors generates mandates from a mix of clients, including private and retail banks, asset management companies, financial institutions and financial intermediaries. Its core areas of expertise include the licensing and European passporting of financial services businesses, experienced investor funds (EIFs) and various other regulatory matters. Brendan Murphy and Guy Stagnetto QC are key contacts.