Clifford Chance LLP has an established reputation for its work on a broad range of key transactions in Ghana for clients spanning national and international financial institutions, industrial conglomerates, construction companies and businesses in the energy, oil and gas sectors. It also advises private equity funds, public institutions and agencies. Jeremy Connick plays a pivotal role in major energy and infrastructure projects. Newly-promoted partner Olamide Oladosu and senior associate Kayode Oladipo jointly leas the department; Oladipo specialises in all aspects of emerging market cross-border financings.
Foreign firms in Ghana
Other key lawyers:
Early Power Limited
Genser Energy Ghana Limited
Development Bank for Southern Africa
Absa Bank Limited
Mauritius Commercial Bank Limited
African Infrastructure Investment Managers
Standard Bank of South Africa
Rand Merchant Bank
Credit Suisse AG, London Branch
- Advising the sponsors on securing long term project financed facilities for the Bridge Power Project, Tema, Ghana.
- Advised the lenders on the construction, development and financing of two LNG vessels to be used for loading, unloading, regasification, storage and transportation services of liquefied natural gas in the port of Tema, located in the Republic of Ghana.
- Advised the lenders on the development and financing of an LNG regasification plant in the port of Tema, Ghana with one floating storage unit and one floating regasification unit.
Linklaters LLP has been active in Ghana for a considerable period of time and has worked on many significant transactions in the country. It has a number of lawyers who are either Ghanaian or of Ghanaian heritage and has maintained close relationships with a variety of the leading local firms. The practice has substantial sector expertise in oil and gas as well as the mining and power sectors. In addition, the team is also experienced in the consumer goods telecoms and sporting sectors. Andrew Jones heads up the Africa group and is a partner in the energy and infrastructure team in London. Kwaku Osei leads the Ghana desk and is a managing associate in the energy and infrastructure group in London.
Helios Towers PLC
Man Capital LLP
Chedid Capital Holding SAL
- Advised a large state-owned corporation on a bid to acquire Occidental Petroleum Corporation’s upstream oil and gas interests (and related legal entities) in the Jubilee oil field in Ghana.
- Advised Helios Towers PLC on its debut issuance of $250m Guaranteed Senior Unsecured Convertible Bonds due 2027, guaranteed by Helios Towers Ghana Limited.
- Advised Man Capital LLP on its £27m majority investment in and joint venture with Right To Dream, which will focus on furthering the activities of the Right To Dream academy in Ghana.
White & Case LLP has a wealth of experience in the power, oil and gas and infrastructure sectors; the group also has expertise in the mining and metals, water and wastewater treatment, technology and telecoms industries. The heads of department are Mukund Dhar, Caroline Miller Smith and Christophe von Krause, all of whom are seasoned and highly-regarded practitioners.
Future Global Resources Limited
Helios Investment Partners
Republic of Ghana
Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC)