Energy in Ghana
AELEX has a strong track record acting for investors in energy sector transactions, with its work spanning areas such as oil and gas, mining, power and renewable energy. Team head Soji Awogbade has expertise in upstream and midstream petroleum matters, which includes advising on privatisation strategies. Theophilus Emuwa advises on companies' income and petroleum profits tax issues. Managing associate Kwesi Dodi is also recommended.
Bristow Helicopters Ghana
- Acted for Rowan on the incorporation of a joint venture vehicle in the upstream petroleum industry.
- Advising Bristow Helicopters on structuring a proposed joint venture company.
Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah's energy practice generates mandates from clients in the oil and gas and mining sectors. The team is led by Kojo Bentsi-Enchill, who advises on M&A, tax and finance. Seyram Dzikunu is experienced in handling high-profile oil and gas transactions for market participants ranging in size from SMEs to multinational companies.
Kojo Bentsi-Enchill; Seyram Dzikunu
Hunton & Williams
Stena Drilling Limited
Kosmos Energy Ghana
- Acting as Ghanaian counsel to the IFC on the restructuring of the Electricity Company of Ghana for private sector participation under the Millennium Compact II programme.
- Acting for Strategic Security Systems International Limited on the development of a 50MWp photovoltaic plant on the Bui hydroelectric project site.
- Acting for the Government of Ghana on the proposed private sector participation in certain thermal assets currently owned by the Volta River Authority (VRA) and Social Security and Natural Insurance Trust (SSNIT).
ENSafrica's team has experience of advising on project finance transactions, the construction of power plants, national roads and commercial real estate. The team is jointly led by Paa Kwesi Morrison and Elikem Nutifafa Kuenyehia. Morrison has experience of acting for financial institutions, as well as regional and international companies. Rachel Dagadu made partner in 2019.
Paa Kwesi Morrison; Elikem Nutifafa Kuenyehia
- Advised GuarantCo on financing the construction of a 400MW LPG turbine plant and LPG fuel storage and transportation infrastructure in Ghana.
- Advised Vitol on the proposed acquisition of the business and assets of Cirrus Oil Services Limited.
- Advising Gemcorp Commodities Trading on an export contract with the Government of Ghana as seller of crude oil, and an SPV as buyer of the crude oil.
Reindorf Chambers undertakes matters relating to mining, oil and gas and renewable energy. The scope of its work includes advice on regulatory issues, commercial transactions and dispute resolution. Leading the team is Fui Tsikata, who has experience of advising clients on their energy investments in Ghana.
Abosso Goldfields Ghana Limited
Quantum Power Operations Limited
China Harbour Engineering (Ghana) Limited
Newmont Ghana Gold Limited
- Represented lenders to an international oil company for purposes of developing their interest in an offshore oilfield.
- Transaction involving the provision of legal advice in connection with the proposed admission of the entire issued share capital of an Australian mineral exploration companies in Africa including Ghana to the standard listing segment of the Official List of the Financial Conduct Authority and to trading on the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Advice to a major mineral exploration company on the potential imposition of regulatory sanctions contrary to the provisions of its investment agreement with the Government of Ghana.
Kimathi & Partners, Corporate Attorneys advises on a wide range of energy matters, including those relating to oil and gas and renewable energy. The firm acts on the financing of energy projects, acquisitions and the sale of oil and gas.
Ntrakwah & Co
Ntrakwah & Co advises clients on the registration of companies for upstream and downstream operations, applications for licences, power purchase agreements and tax-related matters. Nana Yaw Ntrakwah heads the practice and Kwadwo Ntrakwah is a noted practitioner.
Nana Yaw Ntrakwah