AELEX is well regarded for its energy work with sector expertise spanning power, oil, gas, mining and renewable energy transactions. It regularly conducts due diligence exercises for investors and advises on energy and utilities financings, energy mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures in addition to handling electricity and gas transmission arrangements. Other core areas of expertise include advising on distribution and supply agreements, power purchase contracts and off-take and tolling arrangements. Soji Awogbade leads the team and primarily focuses on upstream and midstream petroleum issues. Managing associate Kwesi Dodi is also a key name to note.
Energy in Ghana
Other key lawyers:
Bristow Helicopters Ghana Limited
Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah fields a skilled and experienced team, which has significant experience in corporate and commercial transactions in the oil and gas, power and mining sectors. The group is led by Seth Asante , Seyram Dzikunu and Elizabeth Ashun , and acts for major multinationals as well as local small and medium-sized enterprises. Asante is the firm’s managing partner and has considerable expertise in energy and mining deals, while Dzikunu has a wealth of experience in corporate and commercial transactions relating to oil and gas, power and energy sectors. The group handles all aspects of petroleum agreements, gas sales agreements, joint venture agreements, power purchase agreements, interconnection agreements and fuel supply agreements.
‘Very strong on analytical advice. Very consistent. Seyram Dzikunu is extremely bright’.
‘Very experienced, extremely responsive and impressively professional team’.
‘Seyram Dzikunu is an excellent lawyer and gives thoughtful, measured advice’.
Tullow Ghana Limited
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy)
Kosmos Energy Ghana
ENSafrica has an impressive team that advises on the full spectrum of energy and natural resources work and frequently collaborates with international firms on significant cross-border matters. It regularly liaises with the Energy Commission and is adept at advising clients on how to structure transactions so that they comply with local content regulations. Core areas of expertise include the oil and gas, solar energy and petroleum storage sectors as well as the liquefied natural gas and renewable energy industries. Paa Kwesi Morrison is well respected and heads up the department, which includes Rachel Dagadu, who specialises in gas, energy and petroleum issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent understanding of the regulatory environment coupled with a fast turnaround delivering trusted and reliable advice consistently. Rachel Dagadu is the key name to note’.
‘Always on the list when choosing or recommending Ghanaian firms. Well-informed and technically sound’.
‘Paa Kwesi Morrison: first choice for Ghanaian legal advice’.
Red Sea Gateway Terminals
Standard Chartered Bank
Absa Bank Limited
The Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund Limited
CDC Group Plc
Hungarian Export-Import Bank Private Limited Company
Mauritius Commercial Bank
Development Bank of Southern Africa Limited
Trafigura PTE Ltd
- Advised Red Sea Gateway Terminals on a transaction that involved the award of a concession by the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority to Redsea Gateway Terminals Company Limited (as project company) to develop an oil and gas services hub in the Port of Tema.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank, Absa Bank Limited, Societe Generale, The Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund Limited, CDC Group Plc and Hungarian Export-Import Bank Private Limited Company on a transaction involving a $480m facility to Early Power Limited to finance the construction of a 400MW LPG fired combined cycle gas turbine plant.
- Advising Puma Energy on the licensing regime for the renewable energy industry and assisting with the development of standard form documents for its impending transactions.
The energy and natural resources team at Reindorf Chambers has developed considerable expertise in the power sector and is skilled at advising on issues relating to renewable energy, downstream and upstream oil and gas and mining matters. It is also adept at advising on the regulatory, tax and project financing aspects of energy deals. Department head Fui Tsikata has substantial experience in advising clients on energy investments in Ghana.
Puma Energy Distribution Ghana Limited
Newmont Ghana Gold Limited
C-NERGY Ghana Limited
Gold Fields Ghana Limited
Abosso Goldfields Ghana Limited
Secant Technologies and Litwin SA
Vulcan Holdings Limited
- Advising Puma Energy Distribution Ghana Limited on a transaction involving the 11 year letting by the client of eight petroleum retail stations.
- Advising the clients that provided project management consultancy services to the Tema Oil Refinery in respect of the expansion of its crude oil distillation unit at its oil refinery.
- Advised the Government of Ghana in respect of the validation of claims presented by West Africa Ghana Limited against the Government in arbitration proceedings under the Rules of London Court of International Arbitration. The dispute arose out of the termination of a Gas Sales Agreement.
Merene Botsio Benyah and Akosua Apea Osafo are among the primary contacts at JLD & MB Legal Consultancy, which has a notable oil and gas practice and also boasts substantial experience in mining and minerals work. The team is well regarded for its expertise in the upstream and the downstream sectors and continues to advise some of the most prominent oil and gas companies on a diverse range of legal and regulatory matters in Ghana. The group also handles various renewable energy projects including solar energy projects.
Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund
AKA Ausfuhrkredit-Gesellschaft mbH (AKA Bank Germany)
Swipebill Ghana Limited
KOKA Energy Company Limited
Quad Energy Limited
Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited
Zeepay Ghana Limited
IronRidge Resources Limited
Yinson Production West Africa Limited
Kinross Africa S.L.
BP Oil International Limited
Cardinal Resources Limited
Asante Gold Corporation
Mitsui & Co. Ltd
MPharma Ghana Limited
Tullow Ghana Limited
Republic Bank (Ghana) Limited
Fast Pace Transfer Ltd
- Advised Asante Gold Corporation on the $90m acquisition of the Bibiani Project from Resolute Mining Limited.
- Advised Zeepay Ghana Limited on the acquisition of a 51% stake in Mangwee Mobile Money Zambia.
- Advised Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited on the GHS5bn liability management program for the Government of Ghana by Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited.
N. Dowuona & Company has an impressive client roster spanning local and international companies, leading industrial players in the oil and gas sectors, solar and renewable energy providers, and government-owned agencies. With NanaAma Botchway at the helm, it regularly advises on significant transactions in the oil, gas and power sectors including assisting companies in the upstream, midstream and downstream sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fast to respond to all questions in a timely and professional manner’.
‘The firm isn’t old guard, but rather innovative and culturally aware’.
‘Has become the go-to firm in Ghana for high quality legal advice for international investors’.
‘The Managing Partner (NanaAma Botchway) is commercially savvy and has US law firm experience’.
‘NanaAma Botchway leads the firm and gives clear and pragmatic advice. Achiaa Akobour Debrah is also impressive’.
Oppenheimer Partners Limited
- Advised Statkraft on the acquisition of a UK-based multinational solar company by Europe’s largest generator of renewable energy.
- Advised a multinational oil and gas company on the proposed changes to the legal and regulatory environment that could preclude its client from participating in significant parts of its existing business.
- Advised a licensed oil marketing company on a proposed equity investment by a Sub-Saharan Africa impact investment group.
WTS Nobisfields fields a solid team that advises an array of international and mid-sized companies on joint venture agreements, petroleum agreements and general compliance issues in the upstream and downstream sectors. Department head Theophilus Tawiah is well regarded for his work on a variety of regulatory issues in the energy and power sectors.
‘Theophilus Tawiah is a very proactive and deeply read lawyer. He appreciates the complexities of our industry and he is very knowledgeable in helping us tackle the complex issues that confront us. His background as a qualified accountant puts him ahead of his peers when it comes to appreciating transactional and tax related questions‘.
‘The quality of partners and associates is outstanding. Theophilus Tawiah is a first-class lawyer‘.
‘I will describe WTS Nobisfields as reliable and a knowledgeable firm to work with and has great experience in energy law. They are very competent and up to speed with the latest developments. Theophilus Tawiah is well versed in oil and gas matters. He is very professional and exceeds expectations‘.
Vana Energy Limited
Siemens Energy S.A.S.
Chocomac Ghana Limited
Vitol Upstream Ghana Limited
Vitol Upstream Tano Limited
Akoben Supply Ghana Company Ltd
Cenpower Operations & Services Limited
Engen Ghana Limited
- Advising Vana Energy on the full range of legal issues in the energy sector.
- Advised Siemens Energy S.A.S on regulatory compliance issues in the power sector.
- Advised Chocomac Ghana Limited on obtaining a bulk electricity consumer permit from the regulator.