At AELEX, the team's expertise in the energy sector covers legal, regulatory and policy matters as well as a raft of commercial issues as they arise in the power, oil, gas, mining and renewable energy sectors. In conjunction with its Nigerian office, it fields a large team that is well-equipped to handle all aspects of energy and utilities finance, M&A as well as electricity and gas transmission, distribution and supply agreements. It is also noted for its strength in power purchase agreements, off-take and tolling arrangements. Soji Awogbade heads the practice and managing associate Kwesi Dodi has a substantial amount of experience of working with the regulatory agencies in Ghana’s petroleum industry.
Energy in Ghana
Other key lawyers:
Bristow Helicopters Ghana Limited
- Advising Tractebel on a joint venture with Volta River Authority on a project intended to generate several mega watts of power for the national grid.
- Advising James Fisher Ghana Limited on setting up a joint venture to participate in the upstream market in Ghana.
- Advising SBM Offshore Ghana Limited on liquidating a joint venture company.
The energy practice at Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah has extensive experience of corporate and commercial transactions in the oil and gas, power and mining sectors. Seyram Dzikunu has worked on a number of high-profile gas and oil deals in Ghana recently and has played a leading role in advising a range of companies from major multinationals to indigenous small to medium-sized enterprises in the energy sector. Highlights have included advising on the terms of petroleum and power purchase agreements in addition to assisting with interconnection and fuel supply agreements. Seth Asante is also recognised for his work in this area while Kojo Bentsi-Enchill is now a consultant at the firm.
Seth Asante; Seyram Dzikunu
Other key lawyers:
Kosmos Energy Ghana
West Africa Gas Limited
Tullow Ghana Limited
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy)
- Acting as Ghanaian counsel for Oxy on the Ghanaian law aspects of the proposed sale of Occidental’s petroleum interests in Ghana – work has included a review of the transaction documents, governmental consents and approval and reviewing the tax implications and related matters of the transaction.
- Acting as Ghana Counsel for Qatar Petroleum – work has included conducting a country due diligence on the upstream petroleum environment in Ghana and reviewing model transaction documents with respect to petroleum licensing.
- Acting as Ghana counsel for Strategic Security Systems International Limited (the project developer) in respect of a 50MWp hydro-solar-hybrid power plant.
ENSafrica receives a steady flow of instructions in project financing transactions in particular and has also advised clients on the financing of major energy and infrastructure projects in addition to assisting clients with the construction of power plants, national roads and commercial real estate. Solar energy projects are another area of strength. Paa Kwesi Morrison is well known in the energy and natural resources sector. Rachel Dagadu is also noted for her work in gas, energy and petroleum law. Senior associate Cletus Danliar Banseh is another key name. Elikem Nutifafa Kuenyehia has left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
Paa Kwesi Morrison; Rachel Dagadu; Cletus Danliar Banseh
‘The go-to firm in Ghana. The lawyers know their stuff and are generally responsive. Paa Kwesi Morrison: really knows what he’s talking about and has a good knowledge of the market practice as well the nuts and bolts of the law. Cletus Banseh: a very good support for Paa Kwesi.’
Red Sea Gateway Terminals
Standard Chartered Bank
Absa Bank Limited
The Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund Limited
NCDC Group Plc
Hungarian Export-Import Bank Private Limited Company
Mauritius Commercial Bank
Development Bank of Southern Africa Limited
- Advised Redsea Gateway Terminals Company Limited on a transaction involving the awarding of a concession by the Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority to Redsea Gateway Terminals Company Limited (as project company) to develop an oil and gas services hub in the Port of Tema.
- Assisted CrossBoundary Energy with various regulatory issues and with the most efficient and compliant method of financing, constructing, commissioning, and operating the solar PV installations that are contemplated in the Crossboundary’s current contracts.
- Assisted Tysilio in relation to the structuring of its template hire purchase agreement to be used on various solar financings in Ghana.
Reindorf Chambers has been working on a variety of key matters in mining, oil and gas, and the renewable energy sector. The team is adept at advising on a diverse range of regulatory matters, commercial transactions and contentious issues. Fui S. Tsikata has considerable experience advising clients on their energy investments in the country.
JLD & MB Legal Consultancy
JLD & MB Legal Consultancy has a strong oil and gas practice with significant experience of both the upstream and downstream sectors. The firm has advised some of the foremost oil and gas companies on the legal and regulatory framework in Ghana and is also skilled in advising the minerals and mining industry on local law issues. It has particular expertise in renewable energy projects including solar energy and routinely advises on issues with various regulatory authorities such as the Energy Commission and the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission. Merene Botsio Benyah and Akosua Apea Osafo are among the names to note.
Merene Botsio Benyah’; Lily Acquaye; Zoe Phillips Takyi-Appiah; Akosua Apea Osafo
BP Oil International Limited
Momentum Metropolitan Holdings Limited
Kinross Africa S.L.
Mitsui & Co Ltd.
Yinson Production West Africa Limited
Fidelity Bank Ghana Limited
Zeepay Ghana Limited
Iron Ridge Resources
Cardinal Resources Limited
mPharma Ghana Limited
Access Bank (Ghana) Plc
Republic Bank (Ghana) Limited
- Advised Iron Ridge Resources on the acquisition of multiple mineral rights in Ghana.
Kimathi & Partners, Corporate Attorneys is skilled in all aspects of energy projects from the financing of these projects through to the acquisition and the sale of businesses that are involved in the oil and gas industry. Other strengths include advising on the renewable energy sector. Kimathi Kuenyehia leads the team, which has been active in some of the key energy projects in Ghana in recent years.
United States of America agency, the Millennium Challenge Corporation
China Construction Bank
World Bank Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA)
African Finance Corporation, Fidelity Bank and Ecowas Development Bank
A leading UK renewable energy fund
Aksa Energy Company Ghana Limited
Africa Finance Corporation and the ECOWAS Bank
- Advised Siemens AG in relation to its preliminary agreement to upgrade the nation’s electricity grid using 250 million euros of financing from Germany signed on the 15th January 2020.
- Advised the United States of America agency, the Millennium Challenge Corporation on the implementation of the 5-year $498.2m grant to the Government of Ghana to help clean up Ghana’s Energy Sector.
- Advised China Construction Bank on its $647m project finance facility to the Sinohydro Corporation Limited for the construction of 4 selected roads and interchanges in Ghana – acted as local counsel to China Construction Bank and advised on the legality and enforceability of the EPC contracts and Deferred Payment agreements under Ghanaian law.
Led by NanaAma Botchway, the versatile team at N. Dowuona & Company advises on the full range of legal issues in the energy sector. It routinely acts on significant transactions in the oil, gas and power industries and has advised companies in the upstream, midstream and downstream oil sectors. Its skilled practitioners have also been active in the renewable energy sector and have advised some of the most prominent players in the solar industry. The practice has particular expertise in advising on electricity distribution especially those relating to off-grid solar projects. Achiaa Akobour Debrah was recently promoted to the partnership.
Other key lawyers:
Achiaa Akobour Debrah
‘An unapologetic commitment to client service and quality delivery sets it apart from all other firms in the marketplace. The years of experience of working on top-end international and cross-jurisdictional deals have ensured that this team stands apart.’
Wasco Energy Group