Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah has significant experience in corporate litigation as well as telecoms, mining, and oil and gas disputes, and also garners praise for its work on a whole host of other contentious matters that arise in family law, employment and real estate cases. Other strengths lie in debt recovery work, international dispute resolution, and mediation and arbitration proceedings. Ace Anan Ankomah and Daad Akwesi co-head the department.
Dispute resolution in Ghana
‘The BELA team is an excellent team of highly skilled specialists. The team’s gender parity is above that of its competitor firms. Indeed, we deal with more female legal practitioners than with male practitioners’.
‘The individuals I work with include Ace Anan Ankomah, Daad Akwesi, Gloria Coffie and Nania Owusu-Ankomah. They have great specialist knowledgeable in their areas’.
‘The BELA Dispute Resolution team is unique for their in-depth knowledge of substantive law as well as procedural law, a skill rarely exhibited by most litigation lawyers. BELA’s use of digital laws (technology) enhances their research capabilities and enables them to easily share information with their clients’.
‘Nania Owusu-Ankomah and Daad Akwesi are through in their research, compelling in their arguments and reassuring for the client‘.
Ecobank Ghana Limited
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
FBN Bank UK
Vitol Energy (Bermuda) Ltd
AngloGold Ashanti Ghana Ltd
Securities and Exchange Commission
Ericsson sub-Saharan Africa (Pty) Ltd
Stanbic Ghana Ltd
Tetra Pak Group
- Representing a consortium of international banks in disputes relating to the recovery of loans given to companies in Ghana to the tune of $57.5m.
- Representing major deepwater oil and gas exploration and production companies in disputes relating to a government-ordered unitisation.
- Representing the securities industry regulatory body in a number of disputes concerning the revocation of licences arising from the recent banking and securities industry crisis.
The team at ENSafrica is well regarded for its specialist advice on a whole host of disputes from commercial and corporate litigation to insolvency and debt restructuring matters. It frequently advises national and international companies on employment and civil liability disputes, and is recommended for its expertise in international commercial arbitrations and the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards as well as tax appeals. David A. Asiedu heads up the department, which is experienced in representing clients in the superior courts of Ghana and other tribunals. Joseph Kwadwo Konadu was recently promoted to the partnership.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very knowledgeable people’.
‘David was very receptive and willing to resolve issues in a timely manner’.
‘The team is focused and is committed to quality’.
‘Joseph K. Konadu is efficient and diligent. He wants to get it right the first time’.
Accra Mall Company Ltd
African Mining Services Ltd
Newmont Ghana Ltd
RHL Reederei Hamburger Lloyd GmbH & CO KG
Signal Maritime Aframax Pool Ltd
Credit Guarantee Insurance Corporation of Africa
T3 Projects Ltd.
Herbalife of Ghana Ltd.
Ghana Community Network Services Limited (GCNet)
- Representing the receiver of uniBank in recovering more than $1m from the former owners of uniBank by proving in court that the former owners had siphoned the amount for their personal use through unlawful schemes.
- Represented Accra Mall Company Limited in appealing a wrongful tax assessment of $2.2m by the Ghana Revenue Authority.
- Protecting Ghana Community Network Services Ltd (GCNet)’s intellectual property from being appropriated by the Government of Ghana (GoG), and preparing to commence arbitration proceedings against the GoG, for the termination of GCNet’s fixed term contract.
N. Dowuona & Company assists corporate and commercial clients through mediation and arbitration proceedings and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Recently, the team has been busy advising on a myriad of complex issues from commercial debts and shareholder disputes to labour cases, and regularly handles disputes before regulatory authorities. Clients include large and medium-sized corporates operating in the petroleum downstream sector as well as the financial, engineering and publishing industries. Gwendy Miranda Bannerman leads the group.
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsive and collaborative team, excellent customer service, high in integrity’.
‘Gwendy Bannerman and Naa Atswe Konney. I have been dealing with these individuals for years and they are professional, trustworthy, disciplined, knowledgeable and dedicated’.
‘N. Dowuona & Company is good law firm. They are very reactive to our requests’.
World Carrier Corporation
Blue Ocean Investments Ltd
Puma Energy Distribution
Kingdom Hotel Investments Blue Ocean Investments Ltd
Puma Energy Distribution (Ghana) Limited
- Representing the local subsidiary of a multinational commodity trading company, which operates in the petroleum downstream sector, in commercial debt recovery actions.
- Advised the receiver of a defunct commercial bank in the recovery of about $6m from a private oil exploration company.
- Advised a global research and consultancy company, producing business intelligence in more than 35 countries, on recovering its overdue commercial debts in Ghana.
Reindorf Chambers has a well-established team, which represents both domestic and international clients in claims before various courts including the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal. It acts for clients from different sectors, including major mining corporations, telecoms companies, insurance companies and banks. The team also represents clients before the the National Labour Commission, the National Insurance Commission and in arbitral proceedings. Fui Tsikata and Doe Tsikata head the department.
Newmont Ghana Gold Limited
Newmont Golden Ridge Limited
Gold Fields Ghana Limited
Abosso Goldfields Ghana Limited
G4S Security Services Ghana Limited
Hollard Insurance Ghana Limited
Old Mutual Life Assurance Company (Ghana) Limited
Puma Energy Distribution Ghana Ltd
Ecobank Ghana Ltd
Vulcan Natural Resources Limited
ATC (Tower) Ghana Limited
Azumah Resources Ghana Limited.
Agility Distribution Parks Ghana Limited
Republic Bank (Ghana) Limited (formerly HFC Bank Ghana Limited)
JMET Corp; Jiangsu Sainty International Group
Resolute Amansie Ltd
Technip FMC Ghana Limited
- Advising the Government of Ghana in respect of the validation of claims presented by West Africa Ghana Limited against the Government in arbitration proceedings under the Rules of London Court of International Arbitration. The dispute arose out of the termination of a gas sales agreement.
- Represented XCMG Ghana Limited, the subsidiary of a Chinese company, in a breach of contract suit against its customer, a Ghanaian company, to which it had supplied various earthmoving and other equipment from China.
- Represented Eaton Towers Ghana Limited in a tax litigation matter.
Theophilus Tawiah leads the practice at WTS Nobisfields, which acts for leading multinational companies. It regularly advises on initiating claims or defending actions in the superior courts of Ghana. The team is also skilled at handling mediation options and arbitrations as well as contentious tax matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘WTS took on this dispute with good speed and enthusiasm. Although the dispute was between an organisation outside of Ghana, they were more than willing to take the case. The team was quick to communicate their plans with the local company and was able to provide a satisfactory resolution‘.
‘Theophilus Tawiah is the person with whom we are working with and his desire to bring a quick solution to the problems faced has been excellent. Communication is swift and precise and he just gets the job done’.
‘One of the main strengths was its ability to translate complex legal terms into a simple overview, always indicating key risks that ought to be considered from a commercial standpoint’.
‘Theophilus Tawiah has an excellent combination of legal knowledge, energy, commercial nous and exceptional client engagement. Aside from their professional competence, they come across as a team and deliver tailor-made services to ensure the success of their clients’.
‘Theophilus Tawiah, Managing Partner. He goes above and beyond to get the job done thoroughly.’
‘Stephanie Senyah. Lawyer. Professionally courteous and attentive to details.’
‘They are a bunch of professionals who are always on the ball. One of their main strengths is their legal strategy’.
‘Theophilus Tawiah is a top litigator and such an erudite scholar’.
Monarch Capital Limited
Emipak Company Limited
Sun Electronics Limited (Hisense)
JC Global Properties Limited
SMTC Global Ghana Limited
- Successfully prosecuted a debt claim for Sun Electronics (Hisense) regarding debt owed by ATC Ghana.
- Successfully prosecuted a debt claim owed to Drillco S.A by Akatey Mining.
- Successfully recovered debt owed by BCM Ghana Limited for Pasico Ghana Limited.
Ntrakwah & Co
Ntrakwah & Co fields a team that is experienced in litigating in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Ghana. It routinely represents private and public companies on a broad range of actions from debt recovery actions to claims involving minority shareholder protection and cases dealing with trade mark infringements and construction disputes. Nana Yaw Ntrakwah heads up the department that also deals with corporate governance cases and insurance disputes in addition to disputes over the appointment or removal of directors.
The Royal Senchi
CPCS Transcom International Limited
NDK Financial Services Limited
Inter-Con Security Services of Ghana Limited
NAS Holding for Company’s Business Management
Volta River Estate Limited
Form Ghana Limited
Legacy Girls’ College
Emos Consultancy Limited
Cocoa Abrabopa Association
AI Energy Group
Heaven and Earth
Takoradi International Company Limited(TICO)
- Successfully represented Inter-con Security Services of Ghana Limited in the District Court in a dispute with two of its former employees.
- Successfully instituted an action against a defendant for an order of injunction restraining the defendant, its officers and agents from further illegal perpetual use of the plaintiff’s get up and further infringement of the plaintiff’s intellectual property rights, general damages and costs.
- Represented a client in a representative action against traders who had encroached on the client’s land and obtained judgment in favour of the client.