Bentsi-Enchill, Letsa & Ankomah is considered one of the key firms for international arbitration and is equally strong at advising clients on mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. The experienced team has significant expertise in corporate litigation, telecoms, mining, and oil and gas disputes as well as family and employment law. Other strengths include advising on disputes concerning land, contracts and debt recovery. Managing partner Ace Anan Ankomah and Daad Akwesi, who has represented many local and international clients in a vast array of contentious matters, are key names.
Dispute resolution in Ghana
Ace Anan Ankomah; Daad Akwesi; Golda Denyo; Gloria Cofie; Nania Owusu-Ankomah Sackey
Vodafone Ghana Limited
AngloGold Ashanti Ghana Ltd
FBN Bank UK
Abosso Goldfields Ltd
West Blue Consulting
National Petroleum Authority (NPA)
Stanbic Bank Ghana Ltd
Ericsson sub-Saharan Africa (Pty) Ltd
Aviation Handling Services Gh
ATC Tower (Ghana) Limited
- Represented Ghana Telecommunication Company Limited (now Vodafone Ghana) (“GTCL”) in an action where the claimant sued GTCL and the Lands Commission claiming damages for trespass to a parcel of land at Afransi in the Central Region.
- Representing Bayport Savings and Loans Plc in a debt recovery matter involving an amount of GH₵3.2m.
- Representing Stanbic Bank in a claim for substantial general damages and special damages for breach of contract against Stanbic Bank over an alleged wrongful termination of a lease agreement.
ENSafrica is skilled across a wide range of sectors from employment and international commercial arbitration to the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards and insolvency and debt restructuring disputes. It has recently expanded into shipping and maritime work and has seen a notable increase in instructions concerning anti-bribery and corruption investigations and banking matters. The practice is also renowned for its considerable strength in civil liability and finance-related disputes and it continues to work alongside many leading international law firms. David A. Asiedu heads the team, which represents various major clients in complex and significant matters. David Adu-Tutu Jr is also well regarded as is Joseph Kwadwo Konadu who has particular expertise in labour and industrial relations, debt recovery and product/manufacturer’s liability in addition to real estate and construction disputes - both are senior associates.
David A. Asiedu
Other key lawyers:
Joseph Kwadwo Konadu; David Adu-Tutu Jr
‘My experience of ENS Africa is that it is a reliable firm, quick to respond and very knowledgeable. Joseph Konadu is an excellent operator. Very user friendly and sharp. He is a pleasure to work with‘.
‘ENSafrica (Ghana) employs cutting-edge legal research and solutions to provide responsive legal services to its clients. The dispute resolution team in Ghana led by David Asiedu can be counted on for the depth of research and analysis and professionalism‘.
‘The team members are top-notch and motivated to deliver superior client service. The tech support promotes privacy in client communications and superior legal research. David Asiedu and his team e.g. Joseph Konadu are very professional in their dealings with clients and are strong and confident in advocating for clients in court or at arbitration. They are also known for their strong ethics and values‘.
Signal Martime Aframax Pool Ltd
International Finance Corporation
OPEC Fund for International Development
Ghana Community Network Services Ltd
The Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Ghana Ltd
The Receiver (uniBank Ghana Ltd)
DHL Ghana Ltd
Vodafone Ghana Ltd Y
Thai Union Group PCL
ADU-KUSI PRUC is experienced in all aspects of dispute resolution from commercial litigation including ADR and financial disputes to shareholder disputes and labour disputes. It also frequently advises on disputes over land and intellectual property. Kwabena Adu-Kusi, who has wide-ranging experience in corporate disputes, and Alfred Buatsi, who handles various debt recovery matters for companies, are the practice heads.
Kwabena Adu-Kusi; Alfred Buatsi
‘I have used the law firm to conduct more than ten cases (litigation). We were successful in all of them and were satisfied with its professional competence and client engagement. ’
‘Its attention to details.‘
‘The lawyers are prompt in their responses and meet agreed deadlines. They also have the technical expertise on the subject and have the resources to resolve disputes, whether through arbitration or litigation. I know that the firm prioritises training of its associates so as to keep them abreast with global standards.‘
‘I have personally worked with Kwabena for over a decade. I have also worked with some of the other partners – Alfred. I like their responsiveness and knowledge of the subject, which brings so much value to my work‘
Quality Life Enterprise
University of Ghana
Bank of Africa
Omnibsic Bank (formerly, Sahel Sahara Bank)
Guarantee Trust Bank Ghana Limited
Ave Maria Holdings
Volta Aluminium Company Limited (VALCO)
- Acting for VALCO in a dispute over land worth about $3m that was purchased by VALCO for establishing a gas-fired power plant for its business.
- Acting as counsel for Guarantee Trust Bank Ghana Limited (‘the Bank’) in respect of an action that has been initiated by the Bank against an automobile trading company for the recovery of a substantial sum of money that was granted by the bank to the company under the terms of a facility.
- Acting for the Bank of Africa Ghana Limited (‘the Bank’) in a large dispute that is before the High Court of Ghana, for the realisation by the Bank of a security that was charged on two mortgaged properties that had been used to secure a facility from the Bank.
Kimathi & Partners, Corporate Attorneys has considerable strength in the oil and gas sector in addition to the telecoms industry and in all forms of shipping disputes. It is involved in novel and complex litigation and frequently defends multinational corporations in various disputes. The team is also experienced in handling disputes in the local courts all the way up to the Supreme Court of Ghana. Kimathi Kuenyehia is the practice head.
Liebherr France SAS
National Oilwell Varco
Michael Baker International
Three Crowns LLP
- Successfully obtained a favourable judgment on behalf of Asanko Gold [a leading mining company in Ghana] and defeated various claims for millions of dollars that were brought by the concession owners.
- Successfully negotiated a favourable settlement for the Danish Embassy in a real estate dispute against Donewell Insurance.
- Defending Eni in a first of its kind oil and gas dispute involving the award of a contract involving millions of dollars.
N. Dowuona & Company is primarily focused on acting for corporates in mediation, arbitration and other forms of alternative dispute resolution and in disputes before various regulatory authorities. It represents large and medium-sized corporates operating in sectors including petroleum downstream, financial services, mining, insurance, hospitality and publishing. Gwendy Miranda Bannerman heads the team, which also includes senior associate Joe Slovo Tia and associate Naa Atswei Koney.
Gwendy Miranda Bannerman
Other key lawyers:
Naa Atswei Koney; Joe Slovo Tia
‘There is a great company culture. Always ready to serve. The team is super responsive and flexible. ’
‘The confidence and patience the lawyers have to explain to us their reasoning and the legal implication or position on anything we work on is commendable. I have learnt a lot working with Naa Atswei Koney. She is methodical and approachable.’
Sinnotec FZE Ltd
Blue Ocean Investments Ltd
QG Ghana Limited
Puma Energy Distribution (Ghana) Limited
- Advised Puma Energy Distribution Company Limited on a commercial debt recovery matter relating to the non-payment of a petroleum product that was supplied to a client in the retail sector.
- Advised Sinnotec FZE Limited on various breach of contract claims and on the enforcement of contract and performance guarantees against licensed alluvial miners in Ghana.
- Advised Blue Ocean Investments Limited, a mid-stream company, on the commercial debt recovery for the wholesale supply of petroleum products to its clients.
Led by Theophilus Tawiah, the team at WTS Nobisfields is well equipped to handle a wide range of disputes. It frequently acts for multinational companies that are doing business in Ghana before the Superior Courts of Ghana. Its scope of work extends to mediation and arbitration. Managing partner Peggy Addo is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘WTS Nobisfields is very agile, responsive and professional. This is what, in our opinion, makes it unique, as compared to other firms.’
‘Mr Theophilus Tawiah, the managing partner of WTS Nobisfields was professional with us in all our dealings. There was constant flow of information, and transparency. He was available to meet all our requirements. The team displayed efficacy and agility in responding to all our concerns. We would definitely love to maintain a long professional relationship with the firm.’
Unitex Corporation, India
Digital Marketing Training & Consulting Limited
Monarch Capital Limited
Emipak Company Limited
Sun Electronics Limited
- Successfully prosecuted a debt claim that was owed to Thomson Reuters in Ghana.
- Defended a corporate client in a wrongful termination claim by an employee.
- Brought an action to recover monies owed to Unitex Corporation.