The team at BGI Legal assists with a full range of real estate and construction matters including acquisitions, leasing, land registration and privatisations. Clients include major foreign investors and lending institutions, real estate and infrastructure developers, national companies, joint ventures, diplomatic missions and international organisations. The firm has also advised on a number of energy and infrastructure projects, including work on several hydro-power plant and wind farm developments. Zaza Bibilashvili is the practice head; Lasha Gogiberidze and Sandro Bibilashvili are also key names in this area.
Real estate and construction (and projects) in Georgia
Other key lawyers:
Lasha Gogiberidze; Sandro Bibilashvili
Korea Water Resources Corporation
Van Oord Dredging and Marine Contractors bv
East-West United Bank
World Experience Georgia
Sarnia Holding & Finance BV
MND Group NV
Yeniguin Construction Industry &Comm. Inc
Sarnia Holdings &Finance
Homeowners’ association of Park Gate
- Represented Korea Water Resources Corporation (K-Water) in implementing the Nenskra hydro-power project in Georgia on a BOT basis with an estimated capacity of 280MW and with the project cost running over $1bn.
- Advised Sarnia Holdings & Finance on a high-value real estate development project, covering a hotel, residential and commercial spaces, including the acquisition of a unique site in the heart of historic Tbilisi and the development of a landmark project on the site.
- Advised the local subsidiary of the Ferrero Group on various stages of implementation of the hazelnut plantation project in western Georgia.
BLC Law Office has With a 'unique capacity for handling rather difficult matters in the shortest period of time'. The team acts for local and international developers, financiers and state authorities on a variety of different projects, offering corporate, commercial, contractual and regulatory assistance. The team has assisted with the construction of hotels and hospitality projects, golf clubs and multi-functional buildings as well as several large energy development projects. Alexander Bolkvadze, Ketti Kvartskhava, Giorgi Batlidze, Tamta Ivanishvili and Lasha Uplisashvili all lead on deals.
Alexander Bolkvadze; Ketti Kvartskhava; Giorgi Batlidze; Tamta Ivanishvili; Lasha Uplisashvili
‘Very reactive, simple communication, clear explanations.’
‘Trust makes BLC unique.’
‘BLC is more attentive and they show the attitude that they care.’
‘Team of BLC has unique capacity for handling rather difficult matters in the shortest period of time, which is due to well handled team work and deep expertise. Ability of cooperation between the lawyers of BLC is astonishing, which ensures high quality of services received by my company.’
‘Being the head of energy, real estate & construction practice and having the ability of deep analysis, thorough knowledge and perfect writing skills, Lasha Uplisashvili is the most comfortable lawyer to work with. His practical, as well as theoretical knowledge of construction matters (including FIDIC rainbow) makes it easy to collaborate and get immediate and high quality assistance in different matters.’
‘Partner Giorgi Batlidze is also very proficient and knowledgeable in real estate and construction. He has the ability of promptly understand the matter and advise on the most suitable outcome possible in the shortest period of time, which is why we consider BLC to be one of the most trusted partners. ’
‘The members of the BLC legal team with whom our office has cooperated are characterised by responsibility, expertise and market knowledge. Our cooperation has led to many significant advancements in a joint project. We would like to highlight the precision and communicativeness of lawyers at BLC, which also contributes greatly to client satisfaction and mutually beneficial cooperation.’
‘Lawyers at BLC law firm proved to be excellent at their relevant fields of expertise, while maintaining business focus and practical approach.’
Clean Energy and Tata Group
Tbilisi Hills Golf & Resort
Scatec Solar ASA
Wings & Freeman Capital
- Advised Enka Insaat on a project development and construction matters to develop the Namakhvani HPP project for the country.
- Provided full-scale legal support to Tbilisi Hills Golf & Residences on a major real estate development project.
- Advised PACE Group on the development/extension of port facilities including a terminal.
Dentons assists clients in acquiring all types of real estate in multiple types of transactions, from purchasing greenfield and brownfield sites, to leasing and land use transactions as well as complex development projects for hotels, university campuses and office spaces. In terms of projects, the team is active in oil and gas as well as hydropower. The joint heads of practice are Otar Kipshidze and Avto Svanidze. Senior associate Irakli Pipia is regarded for his work assisting with the acquisition and transfer of rights to land plots and buildings, the lease of office premises, the registration of rights to immovable and movable property, pre-acquisition due diligence, and licenses and permits.
Otar Kipshidze; Avto Svanidze
Other key lawyers:
‘First of all, we would like to emphasise the high competence of Mr. Svanidze, we have received the product that we asked for in a perfect manner and on time. He was very polite and oriented on the needs of the client. In addition, very important that he was very flexible and was always ready to satisfy every request of the client. Based on our experience, we highly recommend Dentons.’
m2 Real Estate
American Webster University
World Fuel Services Corporation
Schlumberger Rustaveli Company
Enlight Renewable Energy
Solid Waste Management Company
Georgian Mining Corporation
- Advised a major Romanian oil company, owned by Austrian oil and gas company OMV, on a Black Sea upstream project, where the client has recently won a tender for an offshore block.
- Advised a joint venture of Hyundai E&C and Limak Holding on amendments and assignment of a number of documents related to suspended a FIDIC silver book contract and product acquisition agreements.
- Advised m2 Real Estate on a land transfer contract with the Sveti Group.
The team at Gvinadze & Partners LLC assists with construction, real estate litigation, administrative and corporate real estate matters. It is particularly experienced in the hospitality and retail sector and has recently assisted with several hotel developments as well as a multimillion-dollar residential and commercial complex in Tbilisi. Led by managing partner Nick Gvinadze, the team has also assisted with several renewable energy projects. Zakaria Shvelidze and Sophie Panjikidze are other key names.
Other key lawyers:
Zakaria Shvelidze; Sophie Panjikidze
Intercontinental Hotels Group
iC consulenten Ziviltechniker GesmbH
AdvanSys – Technologies & People
The Norwegian Embassy in Tbilisi / The Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Baltvesta/Georgian Retail Centers LLC
Veritas Brown Caucasus LLC (Cushman & Wakefield)
San Diego State University (SDSU)
Sturgeon Capital Ltd and Anglo-Georgian Alpine Resorts (AGAR)
Dasta Records Management
Emerging Markets Advisory Corporation (EMAC) and its Dutch Cooperatives
OTIS Lift LLC; United Technologies Corporation
PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal Middle East LLP / Mitsubishi Electric
- Assisted iC consulenten Ziviltechniker with a public procurement for the construction of Georgia’s main east-west highway.
- Advised the Georgian subsidiary of Infinite Energy on a major wind farm project in West Georgia.
- Advised, together with PWC Legal’s Dubai office, Mitsubishi Electric on compliance with local construction, technical and other applicable regulations relevant to the import, installation and operation of Mitsubishi-branded elevators and escalators in Georgia.
BLB (Business Legal Bureau)
Praised for being 'capable of foreseeing all the future potential risks,' BLB (Business Legal Bureau) assists clients with real estate M&A and leasing issues and also handles commercial, retail, industrial, residential and mixed-use development projects. The team also advises investors on real estate privatisation matters as well as major construction projects, where the firm has assisted with the development of hotels and port facilities. Kakha Sharabidze and David Khaindrava jointly head the practice.
Kakha Sharabidze; David Khaindrava
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is highly professional, always providing excellent service. They exhibit personal attention to all the details and are capable of foreseeing all the future potential risks and problems of their clients. They always stay on top of a transaction and ensure its fast moving forward. Efficient and smooth closings are guaranteed with this team.’
‘BLB has experience of structuring deals and providing legal expertise in outstanding RE projects in Georgia with involvement of financial institutions. This makes them one of the best experts to advise and assist with closing of complicated legal and financial agreements with IFIs and leading banks.’
‘Our key contacts are Managing Partner Mr. Kakha Sharabidze and Senior Associate Ana Rekhviashvili.’
‘Mr. Sharabidze is not only a prominent lawyer, he also possesses experience in many business areas and can provide business advice beyond legal practice. He often helps our Group with the general strategy formulation and advises on many business issues. He has outstanding experience and knowledge of developing high profile and large scale real estate projects which makes him invaluable advisor and expert in real estate.’
Poti Sea Port Corporation
- Advised JSC Poti Sea Port on the construction of a deep-water mega port facility, which involves $250m of foreign direct investment into Georgia.
- Advised Rustaveli Property on the construction of five-star luxury brand hotel in Tbilisi, Georgia.
- Represented Villa Godoly before the state authorities, investors and other third parties in relation to a project that involves the construction of a luxury hotel, 30 elite villas and a three hectare vineyard.
Nodia, Urumashvili & Partners assists clients with all stages of the construction process, from project inception to its completion, including real-estate acquisition, planning, drafting and negotiating construction contracts, residential, commercial, and mixed-used property development, as well as handling claims and disputes. The firm has recently assisted with the renegotiation of several lease agreements for hospitality and retail clients as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. Vakhtang Gamtsemlidze and Nino Kvinikadze head the practice.
Vakhtang Gamtsemlidze; Nino Kvinikadze
JSC Bank of Georgia
As Georgia LLC
Fujin Silk Properties LLC
China Nuclear Industry 23 Construction Co Ltd
Batumi Tower LLC
Association SOS Children’s Village Georgia
Uvies Berries LLC
responsAbility Investments AG
Carriage Building Company
- Advised Cobra instalaciones y servicios on the tax issues of the FIDIC contract for the construction works for the extension of Tbilisi Metro.
- Represented Archtrade, a leading Georgian construction company, in a dispute regarding the construction of the Public Service Hall in Tbilisi.
- Advised JSC Bank of Georgia on drafting and negotiating a bespoke design contract with a prominent Georgian design company in relation to the development of the territory in Tbilisi.
The team at BDO Legal, led by David Gelashvili, has recently provided legal assistance to clients in the agriculture, healthcare, hospitality and residential development sectors. The group advised Olam Georgia on leasing a hazelnut processing plant to Ferrero Georgia.
Olam Georgia LLC
Research Institute of Clinical Medicine Todua Clinic
New Mitarbi LLC
Horvats Development LLC
- Advised Olam Georgia on leasing a hazelnut processing plant to Ferrero Georgia.
- Assisted the Research Institute of Clinical Medicine Todua Clinic with the acquisition of the Vere Palace premises.
George Svanadze leads the team at EY Law, which has recently assisted clients in the oil and gas, wine production and mining sectors with land purchase agreements. It has also assisted commercial clients with amendments to their lease agreements as a result of the Covid-19 crisis.