With 'a perfect knowledge of press law', August Debouzy is retained by key players in the sector including Le Parisien, Radio France and RT France. Well-known for its strong contentious capabilities, the team is active in a wide range of press law proceedings covering defamation, image rights, libel and privacy cases. The firm also represents private individuals in these matters, both before criminal and civil courts. Litigator Basile Ader is the key contact; as well as being vice-president of the Paris bar, he is also the managing editor of Légipresse and Legicom. Ader is assisted by counsel Amélie Tripet who provides advisory and litigation services on press, libel and publishing matters.
Media and entertainment: Newspapers in France
Other key lawyers:
‘A perfect knowledge of press law and the procedure related to the 1881 law.‘
‘Responsiveness and perfect knowledge of the law and jurisprudence both on traditional media and on new media dissemination.‘
Fred de la Compta
Ligne de Front
- Acted for the CEO of Radio France before a criminal court in a complex case involving racial allegations with numerous witnesses.
- Acted for the MP Laetitia Avia in dismissing an hourly interlocutory proceeding requesting access to her electronic files.
- Assisted Fred de la Compta in obtaining an interim order issued by the judge in charge of the fast track proceedings, granting him access to a convention where he was denied entry due to an alleged defamatory statement on social media.
Emmanuel Tordjman is the key name at Seattle Avocats, acting as main adviser to online newspaper Mediapart, which generates a significant number of cases. In a recent high-profile highlight, Tordjman represented the paper in a defamation case brought by a former French minister, in relation to the publication of a key witness interview. The team, which also features litigator François de Cambiaire, is retained by public policy makers, business executives, political figures and artists for privacy cases. Private and contract law specialist François Ronget is called on for matters pertaining to reputational damage.
Courrier des Balkans
William BLANC and Christophe NAUDIN
- Acted for SOS Homophobie in building its strategic litigation.
- Acting for the newspaper Mediapart in its liability action against the state, following the police search of the newspaper’s headquarters in February 2019.
- Representing the online newspaper Mediapart and Mathieu Hantoin, a French politician and current mayor of Saint-Denis, in a defamation case brought by a candidate of the presidential majority.
Artemont's François Berthod is involved in several major defamation cases on behalf of a major French press group and a private distribution company. The two-lawyer team has a presence across the digital press, magazine and paper sectors and also has a track record representing private individuals including celebrities and business leaders.
La Maison Bleue
- Represented Anthony Delon in a defamation action initiated by Læticia Halliday because of comments made by the son of Alain Delon, reproduced in the press, on the occasion of the inheritance of Johnny Halliday.
- Representing Prisma Media (Voici) as part of a defamation action initiated by the press group S Press due to an interview published in Voici magazine in January 2017 and referring to Society magazine operated by So Press.
- Acting for Adrexo in a defamation case brought against it by the Brigitte Bardot Foundation and the 30 Millions D’Amis Foundation.
Dedicated to the media, digital and tech sectors, Taliens is retained by several major UK and US newspapers including The Guardian, Associated Newspapers and the The Atlantic. With a broad offering across all TMT work, the specialist newspaper practice is particularly experienced oin freedom of expression, defamation, privacy and right of publicity cases. Jean-Frederic Gaultier is the key contact for these matters, while Clara Steinitz is a go-to for pre-publication clearances.
- Advising Tripadvisor on several matters with respect to take down notices: defamation, privacy, ISP liability.
- Acting for Elsevier in relation to a defamation claim.
- Advising a US social media company on defamation, privacy and ISP liability.