The team at August Debouzy is led by experienced litigator Basile Ader, alongside Mahasti Razavi and Florence Chafiol. The group is well-equipped to handle complex matters for its broad array of globally renowned claimant and defendant clients in complex criminal defamation cases concerning reputational damage, or confidential information has been disclosed to the public, for example. In addition, the team advises clients on their right to reply to defamatory content. Its expertise covers print press and online articles and often spans multiple jurisdictions. Counsel Amélie Tripet has particular expertise in press, libel and publishing.
Media and entertainment: Newspapers in France
Basile Ader; Mahasti Razavi; Florence Chafiol
Other key lawyers:
‘Basile Ader has a very strong experience in the field of press law and an excellent knowledge of the media, which allows him to consistently deliver very relevant and pragmatic advice to his clients. He is accompanied in his task by Amélie Tripet.’
M. Didier Robert
- Assisting Radio France, which is part of the consortium Forbidden Stories, in several criminal defamation cases against the Kingdom of Morocco, following the public disclosure of the ‘Pegasus Affair’.
- Assisting EDF in obtaining a favourable recommendation from the Jury de Déontologie Publicitaire, with regards to the alleged breach of ethics obligations of a competitor whose communication methods were intended to disparage EDF’s reputation.
- Assisting Marie-Claire in obtaining the dismissal of a criminal defamation case on the grounds that the action was time-barred, as well as providing representation with regards to a criminal complaint for defamation filed before the investigating judge.
The team at Seattle Avocats represents its high-profile media clients in the full spectrum of issues relating to print and online media. Emmanuel Tordjman, who is well-versed in advising company directors and public figures on their communication law issues, leads the team, alongside Francois De Cambiaire, who has particular expertise in advising human rights and environmental organisations, such as SOS Homophobie, in relation to defamation, and Francois Ronget. Particularly noteworthy is the team’s longstanding representation of Mediapart and its journalists in various cases.
Emmanuel Tordjman; François de Cambiaire; François Ronget
CAROLINE DE HAAS – EGEA
COURRIER DES BALKANS
TOUCH PAS NOUT ROCHE
LIGUE POUR LA PROTECTION DES OISEAUX (LPO)
EUROPE ECOLOGIE LES VERTS (EELV)
MEDIAN DIGITAL PARTNER
SOCIETE EDITRICE DU JOURNAL L’HUMANITE
PARC NATIONAL DES CALANQUES
- Assisted SOS HOMOPHOBIE, an anti-discrimination non-profit, legally entrusted to file complaints on behalf of the LGBTQ community, in building its strategic litigation.
- Assisting Mediapart in its liability action against the state, following the police search of the newspaper’s headquarters in February 2019.
- Representing the online newspaper Mediapart and Mathieu Hanotin, a French politician and current mayor of Saint-Denis, in a defamation case brought by a candidate of the presidential majority.
François Berthod is at the helm of Artemont‘s team, which is well-equipped to deal with a range of matters relating to privacy rights and defamation, often of significant value, representing media groups from a range of industry sectors, and individuals. In addition, it is experienced in handling publication matters for its clients. Notably, the team assists specialists in printed advertising and distribution of newspapers, Adrexo, on the full spectrum of relevant issues.
‘Lawyers in the team are available, competent and know how to adapt to business issues.’
‘François Berthod, has produced positive results for us on several sensitive litigation cases. He also knows how to provide advice and recommendations upstream of litigation.’
‘The firm’s strengths are its reactivity and pragmatism.’
La Maison Bleue
Clara Steinitz leads the team at Taliens, which advises clients, including the BBC and TripAdvisor, on complex defamation matters relating to various media forms, including printed press and online articles. It is also experienced in dealing with matters concerning the balance between freedom of the press and its obligations and responsibility to remain in the public interest. Experienced litigator Jean-Frederic Gaultier is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Taliens offers a good level of service and responds well to queries; the team understands the media and publication law very well.’
‘Jean-Frédéric is very strategic, quick to respond, and is able to provide good expertise.’
Paramount Global (formerly known as ViacomCBS)
Amusement Park GmbH