Media and entertainment: Newspapers in France
August Debouzy's Basile Ader is adviser to several French newspapers, companies and individuals involved in press law proceedings, encompassing libel, defamation and image right and privacy issues. He recently handled several defamation disputes involving elected individuals. Counsel Amélie Tripet provides key support.
Other key lawyers:
Le Parisien / Les Echos
Members of Parliament
French anti-doping agency (AFLD)
University of Lyon 3 Jean-Moulin
Municipality of Laon
- Represented the French anti-doping agency in libel proceedings launched against Clémence Calvin who widely reported in media outlets that she was assaulted by members of the French anti-doping agency during an anti-doping control abroad.
- Successfully defended Radio France in a defamation lawsuit initiated by politician Denis Baupin following a radio broadcast in May 2016 during which several women claimed to be the victims of sexual harassment from Baupin.
- Defended local newspaper Le Parisien in a right to privacy lawsuit in relation to an article published in the newspaper about two murdered police officers and their son.
Seattle Avocats' Emmanuel Tordjman is the main adviser to the prominent online newspaper Mediapart, repeatedly defending his client in very sensitive press law and defamation cases recently, linked to published revelations that led to several high-profile political scandals in France. François de Cambiaire is also noted. The firm also regularly assists public policy makers, top business executives, political figures and artists with reputation and right to privacy issues.
Courrier des Balkans
- Successfully defended Mediapart in defamation proceedings launched by political figure Denis Baupin who was accused of sexually harassing co-workers.
- Defended Mediapart against an attempted investigative search of their premises by the French authorities following revelations about Alexandre Benalla, adviser to French President Emmanuel Macron.
- Defended Mediapart in several defamation lawsuits filed following articles published about suspected illicit financing of Nicolas Sarkozy’s presidential campaign by former Libyan ruler Gaddafi.
‘The firm has very good knowledge and expertise regarding defamation matters. It provides practical advice and a clear view on the chance of success.’
‘Jean-Frédéric Gaultier is reactive and pragmatic.’
- Defended The Atlantic in defamation proceedings brought by film director Bryan in relation to an article published about him.
Vercken & Gaullier
Vercken & Gaullier is adviser to one leading magazine publisher whom the firm notably advises on the management of IP rights with authors and photographers. The firm also assists several leading companies specialising in providing professional daily press digests to prominent clients, including public institutions, with the negotiation of contracts with leading French and international press newspapers. Florence Gaullier also has rare expertise in search engine content issues at the intersection of press and IP law. Gilles Vercken is also recommended.