Media and entertainment: Cinema in France
Well-established media and entertainment boutique ARTLAW advises prominent industry players, including leading French production companies and cinema chains, as well as many independent film production studios. The firm notably provides state-of-the art IP, especially copyright expertise. A recent highlight saw the practice successfully defend a client in proceedings arisen from the alleged breach of the right to a private life in connection with the recent release of a French film. Anne Boissard is highly recognised.
Crossen & Borowsky
Media and entertainment boutique Crossen & Borowsky advises prominent French and international industry players, including leading French and US film studios such as Studio Canal, Sony Pictures, Warner Bros, as well as smaller independent studios and film distributors. The five-lawyer practice provides all-round expertise; ranging from advice on French and international production and co-production work to distribution and financing contracts in relation to major feature films and series. The practice was involved several copyright disputes and also assisted with the negotiation of complex digital streaming agreements. Highly recommended are: Raechel Crossen, who recently advised on the negotiation of several major film remake licensing rights, and Sophie Borowsky, who advised on the production of Wes Anderson’s next motion picture.
Studio Canal SAS
Sony Pictures International Productions
Canal + Groupe SA
Lionsgate Entertainment Inc.
Lee & Thomson LLP
Harbottle & Lewis LLP
Gray Krauss Sandler Des Rocher LLP
Stephen Saltzman at Paul Hastings
Memento Films Distribution SAS
Compagnie des Phares et Balises SAS
Sophie Dulac Distribution SARL
Same Player SAS
Nac Films SARL
Rocket Science International
Warner Bros Entertainment France
El Paso Production
- Assisted Warner Bros Entertainment France with the drafting and negotiation of a distribution agreement regarding a €12m motion picture.
- Assisted US company Indian Paintbrush regarding the production of the next Wes Anderson motion picture produced in France and in the UK.
- Advised Studiocanal on the negotiation and drafting of a licensing agreement regarding the remake rights to the 1993 film Cliffhanger.
De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés advises several US film studios, whom it notably assists with clearing film distribution rights in France, but also acts for many French and international independent production companies. The firm is able to provide all-round expertise, spanning the negotiation of motion pictures and series' production, IP rights, financing and distribution issues. The practice also handles litigation and arbitration proceedings before the Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA)'s dispute resolution committee. Charles-Edouard Renault and Julien Horn are in charge.
‘Seasoned media and entertainment professionals with a wealth of knowledge in the French media space and beyond. They offer excellent judgement, strategic advice and remain level-headed during demanding situations.’
‘Charles-Edouard Renault has tremendous experience in media production in France and globally. He adeptly manages difficult and sensitive negotiations. He is focused and pragmatic in his approach and preserves a calm and composed approach in situations of high stress.’
No Money Production
Warner Bros. (US)
- Represented DreamWorks Animation SKG, Fox Pathe Europa and Paramount Pictures France in a dispute filed by French writers in relation to the 2012 release of the Rise of the Guardians motion picture which the plaintiffs believe to be a reproduction of their television series project and thus to be in violation of their IP rights.
- Represented NBCUniversal as plaintiff in copyright infringement litigation against DreamWorks Animation regarding a major film franchise.
Taylor Wessing is the go-to firm for French film production projects. The practice mainly assists independent production companies and major French directors and actors with the production of most of France's major feature films shot in the country and abroad. The practice is able to deal with the full range of matters, including financing, production, contract and IP rights issues. The group also advises on remake rights and is experienced in the management of movie catalogue rights in addition to advising on corporate transactions in the industry and taking on sensitive litigation. The key contacts are the renowned Christian Valsamidis, who needs no introduction, Claire Saint-Laurent-Mantoux and litigator Benoît Goulesque-Monaux.
- Advised On Entertainment/The awakening production on the production and financing of the international animation movie Ladybug & Cat Noir Awakening.
- Assisted La Vérité production with the production, financing and closing of the film La vérité si je mens! Les débuts.
- Assisted SLOT MACHINE with the negotiation of an option agreement and transfer of rights to remake award-winning film Woman at War.
Seattle Avocats' François Ronget, who joined from Stinger Ronget Lewi in 2019, advises independent production companies as well as a major studio CEO, a scriptwriter and a film director. He notably assists clients with the negotiation of production, IP and contract issues regarding feature films and TV series. Related litigation is another area of strength, with recent work including a copyright dispute.
‘François Ronget is highly able and has perfect industry knowledge.’
- Advised Arjuna Film on the negotiation of IP rights with authors and technicians and the negotiation of a co-production contract with Canadian co-producer CARPE DIEM and distributor BROADVISION.
- Advised Lafayette co-production on the negotiation with CUBE CREATIVE of IP rights contracts with authors and technicians.
Spring Legal's Karine Riahi advises production companies on the production and international co-production of feature films and TV series. She notably tackles various production and distribution issues and assists with the negotiation of film rights. She also assists her clients with the management of their relation with the French cinema centre (CNC).
‘The highly responsive and professional team has strong knowledge of the cinema and audiovisual sector.’
‘The team is responsive and professional.’
‘Karine Riahi has strong industry knowledge and provides very practical and tailored advice. She quickly analyses matters at stake and is able to suggest creative solutions.’