Cabinet Neuer is a key player in the art market, advising auction houses, art dealers, collectors, and experts regarding the legal aspects of their business. Practice head Jean-Jacques Neuer has been the official counsel of the Picasso Administration for more than 20 years, as well as that of many estates, including the Giacometti Foundation, and the Brancusi, Klein, Arman and Tati estates.
Media and entertainment: Art in France
Succession Marcel Proust
Jacques Tati Estate
- Represented the Picasso Administration in a criminal case brought against Picasso’s electrician for the theft of 271 stolen artworks created by Picasso.
August Debouzy handles an wide array art law matters. Basile Ader is a respected litigator and has spent a significant part of his career advising and defending clients in the culture and art sector in sensitive high-stakes disputes. The team has extensive experience in disputes relating to auctions, art forgery, the challenging of expert opinions. Negotiations with the French Ministry of Culture and the obtention of passports are also part of the caseload.
Other key lawyers:
‘Dynamic and reactive team.’
‘Basile Ader is very quick-witted, versatile and available.’
Thierry Curial de Brevannes
- Representing Thierry Curial in a dispute before the civil and criminal courts of Paris against an auction house and experts in a dispute about a Giacometti lamp.
- Assisting Goya Subastas, a major Spanish auction house, in the context of the recovery of the price of the sale of a pair of vases.
Boutique art market law firm Pamina Avocats has a strong offering of both contentious and non-contentious services related to the art world. As a former member of the French independent supervisory authority for the regulation of auction houses, practice head Rémi Sermier has an in-depth understanding of legal issues related to auction houses. World-recognised auction house Sotheby’s is a long-term client of the firm and has relied on the expertise of Sermier in numerous disputes before French courts.
Wildenstein Plattner Institute
- Assisting Imprimerie Nationale on their project to create a museum on books and printing in collaboration with the city of Douai in the North of France. The estimated initial investment is €25m.
- Advising Sotheby’s on revising their conditions of business in France.
- Assisting Wildenstein Plattner Institute in defending before US Court against action from Restellini over Modigliani papers.