Insurance in France
Clyde & Co LLP
Clyde & Co LLP combines a deep French bench with international reach as the Paris office serves as the firm's European linchpin for its continental European and French-speaking Africa activities, in particular in the energy and infrastructure sectors. With the experienced Gildas Rostain at the helm, the practice has particular strength in insurance and reinsurance matters regarding industrial risks, but the team covers a wide practice range, with the team's specialism in transport-related matters as its second core pillar. The Nantes office functions as a hub for advising small and medium-sized enterprises and a number of prestigious transport players, especially from the shipping sector which entrust the group with complex cross-border matters. The group also offers particularly deep expertise in the aviation, engineering, tourism and trade and commodities sectors. David Méheut combines arbitration and mediation experience with a broad spectrum of expertise, including political risks, professional liability and directors' and officers' liability.
Other key lawyers:
David Méheut; Yannis Samothrakis; Rozenn Lopin; Olga Jefremova
‘It has been a pleasure working with this team. The service has been prompt and always of a high calibre’
‘Yannis Samothrakis – very knowledgeable, pragmatic and commercial. An extremely capable and reliable lawyer.’
‘Pragmatic, available, very good knowledge of applicable rules and the market. Reliable’
‘Yannis Samothrakis: excellent knowledge of market practices, very good network, particularly with the regulator, reliable, responsive, perfectly trilingual (French, English and Greek). Gildas Rostain: great availability and technicality – David Méheut: innovative in his arguments and combative.’
Under the lead of practice heads Séverine Hotellier and Frédérique de La Chapelle, Dentons has established itself as one of France's leading insurance and reinsurance practices. The team assists with the full range of insurance-related matters in litigation, regulatory work and transactions, ranging from distribution matters to policy review and drafting, claims management to industrial risks. The transport, energy and construction sectors are particularly active sectors for the group. Thanks to the firm's own international network, the practice is very well suited to complex cross-border work, with the firm's Direct Technology platform providing the necessary technological hub to ensure comprehensive and smooth service across jurisdictions. In Paris, the cross-practice offering, especially the availability of tax and corporate teams, is another asset.
Séverine Hotellier; Frédérique de La Chapelle
DLA Piper bolstered its practice with the arrival of counsel Sophie Cochery , formerly at HMN & Partners, in March 2020. Cochery's specialisation in insurance and reinsurance matters with a particular focus on industrial risks and the aviation sector ties in well with practice head Vonnick Le Guillou's own expertise. The practice is set up to handles disputes, regulatory matters and transactional work, with a complementary financial regulatory practice. Senior counsel Bruce Mee is the main contact for insurance matters regarding financial lines while counsel Luc Bigel specialises in regulatory work, especially regarding distribution questions and in the context of transactions and restructurings. The constant flow of complex cross-border matters demonstrates the team's prowess in multi-jurisdictional matters, including its ability to collaborate with colleagues in offices abroad, for example in Germany, Italy, the UK and the US.
Vonnick Le Guillou
Other key lawyers:
Bruce Mee; Luc Bigel; Sophie Cochery
ACE INA Holdings Inc.
MS AMLIN INSURANCE SE
LA REUNION AERIENNE
ZURICH INSURANCE PLC
MIC Insurance Company SA
Beazley Insurance Solutions Limited
- Advised AXA XL on various regulatory, distribution related, review of insurance policies and insurance law queries concerning various lines (motor, civil liability, damage, marine, cyber).
- Advised Aon on the acquisition of Appolo Conseil & Courtage.
- Advising MIC Insurance Company on the set up of a new insurance company in France dedicated to non-life insurance activities as well as the transfer of an insurance portfolio from Gibraltar in France concerning approximately ten EU states, including setting up the complete governance, outsourcing arrangements, distribution networks and exchanges before the various supervisory authorities.
The practice at Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is set up as an insurance, transport and industrial risks group which assists with contentious and non-contentious matters, with advisory work accounting for a particularly significant portion of the workload. With clients including insurers and reinsurers as well as insurance brokers and companies from the team's core sectors, including the transport, industry and construction sectors, the practice can draw on its extensive track record and wide-angle knowledge to assist with complex high-stakes matters. The caseload is primarly domestic in nature, but the firm's offices abroad allow for one-stop-shop coverage. The renowned Richard Ghueldre and Capucine Bernier direct the team.
Richard Ghueldre; Capucine Bernier
‘Experience, communication, accessibility, honesty & integrity.’
‘Very experienced in the sector. Very good communication and analytical skills. They have integrity and handle cases in an ethical manner. Very positive relationships with the companies.’
‘They always find the appropriate legal solution. Their knowledge of regulatory matters is very remarkable. ’
‘The firm has a dedicated team and dedicated partners to insurance law. They have very established regulatory and transactional knowledge on insurance matters.’
‘The team has a deep knowledge in insurance sector. The firm has an agile team. They always deliver on time.’
- Advised AXA in relation to Covid-19 litigation and non-litigation matters.
- Advised AXA on the first class action in France concerning finance and insurance.
- Assistance to CSCA and Planete Courtier in the context of their merger and the creation of a joint subsidiary whose purpose will be to participate in the regulation of the brokerage market.
HFW remains an excellent choice for clients seeking in-depth cross-border expertise. The Paris team, itself composed of lawyers who qualified in Germany, France and England and Wales, is extremely well versed in multi-jurisdictional matters, is able to leverage the firm's extensive office network spanning Europe, the Americas, Australia and Asia or can offer its proven skills in the coordination of cross-border matters with local counsel. The caseload includes contentious and non-contentious matters, with an uptick in advisory work, for example regarding regulatory issues, the distribution of insurance products or the drafting and review of policies. The transport, energy, trade and construction sectors are the group's core focus sectors, with matters including almost all types of non-life insurance classes, including cyber insurance and D&O. Olivier Purcell is the head of the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Guillaume Brajeux; Pauline Arroyo; Iris Vögeding
AXA Corporate CS
Covea / MMA
Squire Patton Boggs has a core focus on insurance and reinsurance disputes, with clients including major international and mid-market European insurance companies. Carole Sportes and Valérie Ravit direct the team, with the practice leveraging their particular expertise in the aviation sector and in environmental and product liability cases respectively, with Ravit having been involved in the discussions regarding amendments to the French civil code on environmental damages. Industrial risk disputes are another area of expertise. The practice's track record of representing clients in class actions is a particularly useful tool for clients from the pharmaceutical and medical device sectors. Policy review matters and assistance with regulatory issues are other areas of strength.
Carole Sportes; Valérie Ravit
Other key lawyers:
Nora Mazeaud; Anne-Sophie Allouis
‘The Squire Patton Boggs team in Paris has been a key partner for us in the handling of very high-value and highly complex casualty claims – predominantly, but not exclusively, in the French market. In terms of both technical expertise and customer service, Squire Patton Boggs have excelled and compare most favourably to other firms. ’
‘Squire Patton Boggs is a top law firm of the French insurance market. It is very specialized in high-profile risks and claims and has an excellent knowledge of the insurance law. ’
‘People at Squire Patton Boggs make you feel you are not only a client, but a long-term partner. you can trust and rely on them to be here when you need them, in good and bad times and they value you as an individual. They share their passion of law. ’
‘Best in environmental claims, perfect understanding of insurance and insurer need. All memos are clear and ‘ready to use’.
‘Huge work capacity, intelligence of issues and strategy. Very reactive.’
Altana stands out through its combined transactional and litigation expertise in the insurance sector. The practice's experience ranges from court disputes to arbitration and mediation proceedings on the litigation side to structurings, M&A, antitrust and regulatory matters on the corporate side. With a spectrum that includes industrial risks, product liability matters, distribution matters and assistance with product development, as well as cybersecurity matters, data protection assistance and experience in the insurtech and fintech sectors, the team is a popular choice for insurers, reinsurers and intermediaries, both French and international. Corporate specialist Gilles Gaillard, dispute resolution specialist Valérie Lafarge-Sarkozy and competition law expert Frédéric Manin are the heads of the team, reflecting the firm's strong cross-practice approach.
Gilles Gaillard; Valérie Lafarge-Sarkozy; Frédéric Manin
Other key lawyers:
Lucie Giret; Julie Rolet; Benjamin Dors
AG2R LA MONDIALE
APPN (ASSOCIATION POUR LA PREVOYANCE DU PERSONNEL NAVIGUANT)
COVEA (MAAF ASSURANCES, MUTUELLES DU MANS
ASSURANCES – MMA, GMF
LA BANQUE POSTALE
MACIF / AESIO
- Defending AG2R La Mondiale / ARPEGE’s interests in a crisis linked to the attempt by former directors to seize power of two of the group’s entities, Muta Santé and Arpège Prévoyance, a mutual and a provident institution.
- Advised MACIF – AESIO on all antitrust and merger control aspects of their alliance, a transaction which has led to the creation of one of the largest French insurance groups, cleared in March of 2020.
- Advised Covéa on the renegotiation of its long-standing bank- insurance partnership with BPCE group (Natixis / Banques Populaires / Caisses d’Epargne) through their insurance JV BCPCE IARD.
At August Debouzy, Alexandra Cohen-Jonathan and her team focus on high-stakes litigation, mass litigation, class action and serial dispute matters, as well as product liability disputes in addition to advisory work regarding insurance documentation and policies. The team's cross-practice strength comes particularly to the forefront when advising on matters at the intersection of insurance, IP, IT, employment and finance law as well as in the increasing number of instructions from the firm's corporate clients regarding their insurance products, especially their compliance with the insurance product distribution regulations. The independent firm's insurance practice consists primarily of multi-jurisdictional matters, with a strong domestic caseload completing the workload. Cohen-Jonathan's expertise is also sought after by French legal think tank Club des juristes, for example on the subject of self-driving cars or artificial intelligence in the healthcare sector. Flore Poloni joined Signature Litigation AARPI in September 2020.
‘Very high technical level, develops its arguments with case law, doctrine. Great collaboration between the different fiscal activities with insurance.’
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
Chubb Insurance Company
SPIE Batignolles Ile de France
- Advised SNCF on the compensation of the victims of the train accident Ingenheim.
- Advised and represented AGCS, liability insurer of TEREOS whose liability has been sought for allegedly defective products and in negotiation with AXA XL for the trigger of the claim.
- Advised AXA XL on the analysis of the run-off coverage conditions of its insured.
DWF (France) AARPI combines in-depth knowledge of international matters with a broad practice scope that includes litigation and advisory work as the core specialisms, with transactional matters, for example the transfer of policies, accounting for the rest of the caseload. The energy, construction, financial services and industrial sectors are among the key sectors for practice head Romain Dupeyré and his team, who cover a good range of insurance issues, including product liability matters. To complement the practice, the firm offers DWF Claims, a business to assist with the management of all classes of commercial lines claims, a professional negligence-related service called DWF Adjusting, aimed at providing insurers and underwriters from the construction and surveying sectors with expertise, and DWF Costs, a service that assists with all cost-related matters, including assessments, negotiations and recoveries.
‘The team is attentive, anticipates needs and is very responsive.’
‘Romain Dupeyré takes very good care of his clients and is very professional. Mathieu Bui is very focused on innovation and implements various actions within the Paris Bar. These two lawyers are not only involved in their legal work in the strict sense, but also very knowledgeable in various other fields, in particular in new technologies. Their transversal approach, their dynamism and their extensive culture bring a plus to their clients.’
‘ Young, dynamic and creative team, full of enthusiasm.’
‘I enjoyed working with Romain Dupeyré. He is brilliant, rigorous, extremely determined.’
Qatar Reinsurance Company
- Counsel to a UK insurer in resisting a potentially fraudulent insurance claim following major defects in the construction of a building.
- Advice to a Middle Eastern reinsurer on the coverage of BI losses of a group of child care homes as a result of the Covid-19 lockdown.
- Regulatory and compliance advice to an insuretch company on the setting up of its EU operations in France and Spain for a certain number of niche markets (private hire vehicles, trolleys, etc.).
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP in Paris has an excellent team for high-stakes cross-border matters, both contentious and non-contentious. Practice head Sébastien Gros is among the most experienced names in the market for transaction-related insurance work, with an outstanding track record of assisting the country's biggest players with the regulatory aspects of their corporate endeavours, including M&A, reorganisations, fund set-ups and partnerships. Gros and counsel Ghinah Farah assist with insurance and reinsurance matters, including a substantial number of matters regarding the development and distribution of insurance products on top of the heavy transactional practice. The office's insurance securitisation practice, headed by Sharon Lewis, is also noteworthy.
Other key lawyers:
‘This practice operates as a team – Sebastien Gros’ effective leadership is complemented by Ghina Farah. They are very quick to spot the issues and will always look at a problem through the lens of their client’s commercial imperatives.’
‘I believe that Sébastien Gros is the best regulatory lawyer in France. He is a consummate professional who delivers client-focused solutions rather than just interpreting the legal requirements for them. He is a genuine problem-solver and keeps the client’s imperatives central to every conversation.’
‘Ghina Farah is an exceptional lawyer, a pleasure to work with – she is efficient, smart and pragmatic – an excellent operator.’
‘The Hogan Lovells insurance team has positioned itself in a long-term relationship mindset, building trust, showing engagement, listening to the clients’ specific needs for a tailored approach and transparent costs. What made the difference was also the open and constructive approach of the team to deal with innovative structure and products, critical to grow our business’
‘Hogan Lovells’ insurance practice is unique in that the technical skills of the team are excellent (at partner level (ie Sébastien Gros), but also at lower seniority levels which is also very important. In addition, at all stages of the case, this team intervenes with a concern for understanding the specific and complex issues of the client, his history and his governance. This is radically different from other firms in the market where all these aspects are not always combined at the same time.’
‘Excellent knowledge of the sector, of the company, expertise, educational quality, responsiveness, adaptability, proactivity.’
‘Relationship of trust linked in particular to the length of the relationship and the stability of the partners and employees. Very easy relationship, very good listening skills, important pragmatism.’
‘The team is just tremendously knowledgeable about insurance and reinsurance regulation, but also about the market and business practices which brings even more value to their analysis and advices. The team has an excellent ability to understand clients.’
‘An excellent team with good communication. Excellent English. Great understanding of both the law and practical application of the law. Open discussions on risk and legal practice.’
‘Sébastien Gros and his team are extremely knowledgeable, but do not only provide the legal position, but understand the commercial pressures and take that into account with solid, clear and practical legal advice.’
‘The team is very knowledegable, flexible and reactive.’
‘Sébastien Gros has built a great team.’
‘Sébastien Gros’ regulatory team has, in addition to exceptional expertise in insurance/reinsurance law subjects, an intimate practical knowledge of relations with regulators. The firm’s international presence allows us to benefit from all of the excellence of its lawyers or their partners on these subjects in all of the jurisdictions in which we operate. Sébastien Gros and his team were able to successfully support us in strategic, complex and time-constrained operations.’
‘Working with Sébastien Gros and Ghina Farah is, in addition to the intrinsic value of their expertise, a real pleasure. Committed and relevant, capable of understanding and integrating the DNA of their clients and of adapting their working methods to the most complex situations, Sébastien and Ghina are true partners in the success of our operations.’
Assurant (CWI Group)
Aviva (Group and various affiliates)
AXA (Group and various affiliates)
CNP Assurances (Group and various affiliates)
- Advised SCOR on the structuring and implementation of the merger of SCOR Global Life SE and SCOR Global P&C SE into SCOR SE, effective March 31, 2019, including coordinating regulatory advice in some 50 jurisdictions around the globe in order to identify the regulatory requirements to be complied with in all EEA and non-EEA jurisdictions in which SGL and SGPC conduct reinsurance and/ or retrocession activities on an admitted or non-admitted basis, including on local licensing/ authorisation requirements, prior approval of (direct/ indirect) changes in shareholding, prior approval requirements by local regulators and/or the need to obtain express consent from cedants (or other creditors) for the Reinsurance Portfolio Transfer to be valid and enforceable and (ii) in the latter respect, reviewing some 700 reinsurance and retrocession agreements underwritten around the globe (variety of laws applicable in some 15 key jurisdictions) locally by SGL and SGPC.
- Advising AXA Global Life in relation to the structuring and implementation of the merger and transfer of its reinsurance portfolio/ business into AXA Global P&C, a French authorised reinsurance undertaking, controlled by AXA S.A.
- Advised long-standing client AXA (and a number of its international affiliates) on a global European partnership with BlaBlaCar for the offering of a first-of-its-kind ridesharing insurance product (and the cooperation in connection with media campaigning and co-promotion activities relating to such insurance product).
The team at Kennedys is specialised in insurance and reinsurance litigation, focusing on complex high-stakes disputes and mass litigation. The group's extensive arbitration experience make it a sought-after representative in both domestic and cross-border matters, as does the practice's broad scope that includes coverage disputes and subrogation and recovery actions as well as defence cases taken on for insurers. With a portfolio of expertise ranging from industrial risks, political risks and trade credits, to financial lines and product liability matters and strong sector expertise in transport (aviation, aerospace, shipping), healthcare and life sciences, and construction and real estate, the practice is among the most versatile players in the market. With the firm's international office network and the Paris team's own intercultural skills, the practice is well equipped for multi-jurisdictional disputes. The key contacts are Paris managing partner Alexis Valençon, Aurélia Cadain and Nicolas Bouckaert. Christian Bouckaert left the firm in October 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Alexis Valençon; Aurélia Cadain; Nicolas Bouckaert
‘Availability, responsiveness, advice, skills, relevant and well-documented analyses.’
‘Alexis Valençon: great availability, competence, advice.’
‘I have found the team in Paris to be amongst the most responsive and proactive firms I have worked with in this area.’
‘Speed of response is exceptional even on complex matters. High level of knowledge and expertise across all levels of staff. ’
‘In all matters, the cooperation was always very uncomplicated, competent and objective. Even technically complex interrelationships were understood without problems.’
‘The calm, always friendly and very competent way of communicating. Nicolas Bouckaert is particularly notable.’
LPA-CGR avocats has a particularly good reputation for its industrial risks and financial risks practice, with the energy sector at the heart of the former, led by Alexia Eskinazi and Gilles Gassenbach, and Arnaud Molinier leading the latter. The dynamic trio act in contentious and non-contentious matters, with their expertise including policy review and drafting, claims management, risk analyses, and distribution matters. The firm's broad positioning allows for strong cross-practice leverage, with particularly close ties to the renowned real estate and environmental law practices.
Arnaud Molinier; Alexia Eskinazi; Gilles Gassenbach
‘The partners and associates show a real availability and listen to our wishes.’
Norton Rose Fulbright draws on its long track record of advising insurers, reinsurers, intermediaries and other stakeholders such as financial institutions to assist with contentious and non-contentious matters at the intersection of corporate and regulatory law. Practice head Bénédicte Denis draws on her extensive experience to act for major French and international clients to advise on a wide range of matters, spanning the creation of new entities, distribution and outsourcing work, the regulatory framework of passporting and permissions, and the development and implementation of new products. Transactional risks insurance constitutes a growing part of the practice. The group's litigation experience ties in well with the practice and includes professional negligence, warranties and indemnities, property and aviation-related disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great expertise in regulations relating to this sector. Beyond the regulations, detailed knowledge of the market practices applied by the various players.’
‘I worked particularly with Bénédicte Denis and Diane Odier who demonstrated throughout the transaction qualities: – technicality (fine knowledge of the sector and its actors) – educational approach (explanation of the main issues to actors who are not necessarily experts) – commercial awareness (very good interactions with our team, understanding of the economic issues and good collaboration with the other counsels around the table).’
‘Bénédicte Denis: Expertise, support, availability.’
‘The corporate and regulatory insurance practice headed by Bénédicte Denis is extremely experienced, deeply knowledgeable of the sector and French market, attentive to the detail and outstanding in drafting. The team is efficient, diligent, responsive, pragmatic and client-focused. They understand our company’s risk appetite and always get the drafting right. They continually strive to ensure that I and others in the in-house team understand the range of options and legal and regulatory implications.’
‘Senior associate Diane Odier is a rising star at the firm. Not only remarkably smart, she is extremely driven, mind-blowingly fast and gives the impression that she cares about our business and protecting it. When I deal with her, I feel like I am her only client (which of course I am not)’
‘Bénédicte Denis is a legal rock star, with unparalleled attention to detail, knowledge of the French (re)insurance market and client management.‘
AnaCap Financial Partners
- Advised Bridgepoint on all the insurance regulatory aspects of its acquisition of a majority stake in the Compagnie Européenne de Prévoyance Group (CEP) from JC Flowers & Co and CHG Participations.
- Advised Allianz SE and Allianz Africa on the sale of its shares in five subsidiaries in Benin, Burkina Faso (Life/P&C), Mali and Togo to SUNU Group.
- Advised AnaCap Financial Partners on the sale of the French insurance broker AssurOne Group specialised in online distribution to Société Centrale Prévoir SA.
Ormen Passemard – ORPA Legal
Since its creation in January 2019, Signature Litigation AARPI quickly established itself as one of France's finest dispute resolution practices and consistently attracts high-stakes, often headline-grabbing matters. The boutique specialises in complex litigation, both in France and internationally, with the majority of matters multijurisdictional in nature, with the firm's London presence a key asset for cross-border work. The practice unites an impressive bench of stellar litigators, chief among them practice heads Emmanuèle Lutfalla and Thomas Rouhette. In September 2020, the arrival of former August Debouzy counsel Flore Poloni as partner bolstered the group's international commercial arbitration capabilities.
Emmanuèle Lutfalla; Thomas Rouhette
‘Emmanuèle Lutfalla is very renowned in the insurance sector. We have got full confidence in her professional skills and the quality of her work.‘
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty China
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty France
AXA Corporate Solutions
Global Aerospace – GE Aviation
Global Aerospace – The Boeing Company
HDI Canada Branch
Munich RE – AAIC
La Parisienne Assurances
- Assisted AGCS China, the liability insurer of a Chinese company, on a potential serial loss claim involving chest freezers that were delivered in Europe, alleged to be defective and to have caused fires as a result.
- Represented Allianz following the occurrence of a nuclear accident in the West of France, as a result of the collapse of a vapor generator, which led to massive damages to the nuclear plant; defending the machine breakdown insurer in proceedings against several nuclear energy companies, with a lead role in advising the client and handling the judicial investigation.
- Represented Allianz in a C$455m pollution-related dispute involving an underground pipeline in Canada.
Taylor Wessing stands out through the combination of traditional insurance matters, including industrial risks, construction, energy and transport insurance, and professional individual liability, for example for managers, with insurance matters relating to new technologies, ranging from cyber risk management to fraud issues and data processing matters. Practice head Pierre-Olivier Leblanc has in-depth knowledge of representing insurers, reinsurers and the insured and thus a well-rounded perspective, with a particular focus on large claims. The new technologies wing, as well as the financial lines practice, is covered by Marc Schuler and Philippe Glaser.
Other key lawyers:
Marc Schuler; Philippe Glaser
SWISS RE CORPORATE SOLUTIONS
MMA – Covéa Risks
- Assisting Lubrizol in all civil and commercial litigation resulting from the huge fire in the Lubrizol factory (Seveso high site) in Rouen, destroying the site of a neighbouring company and causing environmental pollution throughout the city and the region.
- Assisted Hiscox with drafting its sector-focused insurance products for TMT and Cyber, in view of matching its coverage objectives and in keeping with the relevant applicable laws and regulations.
- Assisting Zurich Insurance with compliance matters, including GDPR compliance.
Philippe Mathurin; Nathalie Dupuy-Loup
‘Alerion organises its activity around being close to its clients for maximum efficiency: precise assessment of the legal or judicial situation, definition of objectives, joint development of the means to achieve them, execution of services in accordance with the commitment made, including in terms of availability, deadlines, etc. The size of the firm helps maintain the culture of respect for the client in the broadest sense. Of course, the mastery of the different branches of insurance is excellent.’
‘We consider that the Alérion team does not act as a team of scholars whose knowledge and skills in the management of legal issues are imposed on their clients. On the contrary, their insight into current legal and judicial practices allows us to build the team that is essential to meet client expectations and to follow a well thought-out and effective strategy. The files which concern several branches of law are followed by the lawyer in charge of the main file, who steers the optimisation of the advice or the procedure with the ad hoc team.’
Other key lawyers:
Maître Pia, Maître Di Marco and Maître Couty
‘Awkis is a leading firm in the field of financial risks insurance in France and internationally.’
‘Very high reactivity, availability and listening, great experience, high expertise in financial risks and insurance law, understands the needs and expectations of its clients very well. Maître Pia, Maître Di Marco and Maître Couty have a pragmatic approach to cases, they have a great capacity for analysis and are always proactive. They also have a high quality of negotiation/mediation. They have excellent interpersonal skills. They also demonstrate pedagogy in a universe comprising very specific and technical terms. In parallel, production of newsletters to follow legal news.’
‘The qualities that distinguish Awkis from other firms are the relationship of trust that exists, the perfect knowledge of our sector of activity and the quality of their work: fast, clear, incisive, rigorous. The work delivered by the cabinet Awkis is always of quality.’
‘Niche and specialized firm.’
Géraldine Brasier Porterie; Caroline Joly; Pierrick Jupile-Boisverd
‘Very business-oriented advice with pragmatic solutions. The team knows how to adapt to the urgency required for responses regarding sensitive matters.‘
Caisse d’Epargne du Languedoc Roussillon
Caisse Nationale des Huissiers de Justice (CNHJ)
- Represented HOLDAR before the Courts of Saint Denis de la Réunion in a set of proceedings involving insurance aspects (including the insurance against fire granted by an insurer – €15m at stake – and the insurance covering the liability of the notary – €15m at stake).
- Acted as monitoring counsel for several banks which incurred liability as a result of a lack of tax deduction effects of investment products distributed by them, loss amounting to €10m.
- Acted on behalf of a company leader in the industry aiming at saving energy against its insurer, following the retroactive cancellation by the French government of Certificats d’Economie d’Energie sold to the market, €2m at stake).
Chatain & Associés
Antoine Chatain; Stéphane Lataste; Thomas de Boysson; Dominique Ham
ALLIANZ VIE IARD
- Advised VYNOVA in the context of its relations with its platform partner, including advice on insurance, energy contracts, CRE relations, ICPE.
- Advised the FNIM regarding the unenforceability of the Solvency II Directive towards small healthcare mutual Insurers.
- Advised PFA on the circulation of ‘autonomous vehicles’ on open roads and the related liability and insurance rules.
‘Recognised expertise in litigation management.‘
Christophe Bourde; Emmanuelle Cardon; Bruno Quint; Pierre-Yves Rossignol
HMN & Partners
RICARDO BOFILL TALLER DE ARQUITECTURA
- Represented AXA France IARD, as liability insurer of a construction company, in relation to a large structural fire that broke out in the Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral.
- Represented Ceetrus in a construction insurance dispute against the companies carrying out the construction and the project’s insurer, following a collapse on a site in Luxembourg that resulted in the death of a worker and bodily injuries to several others.
- Conducted several insurance policy audits for large wind power plant constructions in Europe at the request of banking institutions and investment funds.
Laude Esquier Champey
‘Broad expertise in litigation which makes the advice invaluable.’
‘The firm offers multidisciplinary expertise at a very high technical standard.’
CARDIF LUX VIE
LSN (Groupe DIOT)
- Represented CARDIF LUX VIE in 25 disputes involving policy holders regarding the right of withdrawal of life insurance policies entered into with CARDIF LUX VIE.
- Represented CNP Assurances as claimant in a lawsuit initiated against AXA France Vie, Groupama Gan Vie and Allianz Vie (the reinsurers of CNP Assurances) with respect to the voluntary pension regime served to French public officers named PREFON.
- Represented LAFARGE SA in a dispute brought against its D&O insurer, AIG EUROPE Ltd. regarding the Syrian activities of the company in years 2014 and 2015.
Preel Hecquet Payet-Godel PHPG Avocats
Françoise Hecquet; Jean-Baptiste Payet-Godel; Charlotte Roger; Romain Bruillard
‘Responsive team that anticipates the next steps. Strong problem-solving skills.‘
‘Construction insurance is a particular area which involves special guarantees, some of which are not legally framed. All of the partners of SORBA PAYRAU have a perfect command of both this area and related subjects, which allows them to have global expertise on the issues. In addition, SORBA PAYRAU has extensive experience on high-stakes subjects, which enables them to quickly identify their clients’ requests.’
‘Emmanuelle Payrau perfectly masters these subjects to support us and advise us on major claims. Her strength is to always have a solution and a strategy to propose and to be able to answer all our questions while staying creative.’
Stream – Avocats et Solicitors
Mathieu Croix; Jérôme de Sentenac; Alexandre Besnard; Vy-Loan Huynh-Olivieri
‘The team has deep knowledge of how ´to handle cross-border cases and a clear specialization.’
- Advised the client on damage to a Seveso plant following the storage of fuel oil products.
- Advised the client on the drafting of a reinsurance contract regarding the cover of CAR losses to an energy plant.
- Assisted the client with time limitation issues in respect of an interruption of public works in Africa.