Industry focus: Telecoms in France
At Behring, Anne-Solène Gay's four-lawyer team provides strategic advice to new French alternative and leading international telecoms providers on entering the French telecoms market. The practice also advises on various other regulatory matters, including negotiations of VOIP and MVNO projects, and also represents clients before telecoms regulators. Additionally, the team takes on satellite-related instructions. Other work includes assisting leading French telecoms operators with their operations in Francophone Africa and advising various African institutions on the feasibility of telecoms money transfers and broadband internet projects on the continent.
‘The team is very professional, efficient and responsive. They are real telecom experts, and have very good credentials in telecoms and in Africa. They always deliver on time.’
‘Anne-Solène Gay provides excellent legal advice. She is very pragmatic and is very pleasant to work with.’
HUTCHINSON GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS (HGC)
AFRICAN DEVELOPMENT BANK (AfDB)
WEST AFRICAN MONETARY UNION
- Advised HUTCHISON GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS on issues relating to entering the French telecoms market.
- Advised TELEFONICA on issues relating to entering the French telecoms market.
- Assisted BRUNEAU with the negotiations of a MVNO contract with KEYYO.
At Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I., Olivier Cousi, who became the new chairman of the Paris bar in January 2020, chairs the firm's telecoms practice. Cousi's extensive experience is notably sought after by blue-chip French, US and Chinese telecoms operators in relation to France's, Europe's and Africa's legal telecoms framework. With the support from associate Dane Rimsevica, Cousi's team has a strong involvement in Africa where it regularly assists telecoms operators, state entities and international organisations with strategic legal studies on the development of the telecoms regulatory and infrastructure market in various African countries.
Marpij Consulting – ECOWAS
Cabo Verde Telecom
- Advised SOGEM MALI on the implementation of a call for tenders related to the construction and operation of a telecoms infrastructure network that will rely on current energy infrastructures owned by the client in Mali, Senegal, Mauritania and Guinea.
- Advised Teyliom on its acquisition of Senegal’s second telecoms operator Tigo Sénégal from Millicom International Cellular.
- Advised Cabo Verde Telecom on a public sector telecoms service concession contract concluded with the State of Cape Verde.
Latournerie Wolfrom Avocats' public law partner Térence Cabot has strong telecoms regulatory expertise. Instructions frequently involve advising local public sector entities on the negotiations of large-scale public procurement contracts with telecoms infrastructure operators regarding the development of new high speed broadband networks across the country. Cabot also advises on the establishment and operation of 4G mobile networks. Leading French telecoms operator Free is a longstanding client who turns to the firm for assistance in relation to its strategic regulatory issues, infrastructure projects and disputes with competitors. The practice also handles some Africa-related work, notably for the State of Gabon.
‘Public-law partner Térence Cabot is a remarkable lawyer.’
Région Grand Est
The State of Gabon
- Assisted US outdoor advertising company Clear Channel with the deployment of optic fiber networks in various street advertising locations.
- Advised public sector entity Eure Normandie Numérique on the establishment of its internet broadband network.
- Advised Free on the deployment of high speed broadband networks in France.
Public and competition law boutique Magenta has a strong focus on the telecoms sector. The seven-lawyer firm is notably a key adviser to one of France's leading telecoms operators, and also assists incumbent French Polynesian telecoms operators, a Moroccan telecoms operator and several telecoms infrastructure companies. The team has in-depth regulatory and competition law expertise and recently acted in several antitrust and regulatory disputes opposite key telecoms players in France and its overseas territories. Finally, the practice also assists infrastructure telecoms companies with the signing of public law procurement concessions for the development of broadband infrastructure networks in France. Practice head Sylvain Justier and Vincent Jaunet are particularly recommended for their competition law and regulatory knowledge. Counsel Fanny Mahler, a public law expert, is also recommended.
OPT / VINI
- Successfully represented Outremer Telecom in an abuse of dominance dispute with TDF.
- Assisted incumbent French Polynesian telecoms operators OPT and VINI in dealing with an abuse of dominance case before the Polynesian competition Authority, achieving the negotiation of commitments and no fine.
- Represented Inwi in an abuse of dominance case against Maroc Télécom before the Moroccan telecom regulatory agency and commercial courts.
At Bersay, public law partner Martin Tissier assists French public sector entities, especially départements, with telecoms and broadband infrastructure project issues. Recent examples include several cases regarding the launch of tender offers regarding the setting up of new high speed internet infrastructures throughout the country. Litigation and compliance are also dealt with.
Syndicat mixte Gers Numérique
Eurometropole de Strasbourg
Syndicat intercommunal de l’energie et de l’e-communication de l’Ain
Sarthe Numérique SMO
- Advised CT Corse on the setting up of a public tender offer relating to a 25-year concession contract to build and operate an internet broadband network in Corsica.
- Assisted Syndicat Mixte Gers Numérique with the launch of a public tender relating to a 25-year concession contract to build and operate an internet broadband network in the South of France.