The powerhouse Paris luxury goods group at global firm Eversheds Sutherland (France) LLP remains a market leader, leveraging the strength and experience of its members to advise some of the biggest names in fashion. Headed by luxury sector expert Gaetan Cordier, the team assists with data protection and compliance, IP metaverse enforcement and licensing, ESG and tax matters. Another key figure is Déborah Attali, who acts for luxury clients on employment issues.
Industry focus: Luxury goods in France
Other key lawyers:
The team at boutique firm Féral has strength in advising on a diverse range of matters for major multinational corporates in the luxury goods space, across such sectors as tech, cosmetics, fashion, blockchain and jewellery. The group’s comprehensive service covers international IP protection strategies, judicial and extrajudicial disputes resolution, anti-counterfeiting, data protection compliance, dawn raids and contractual and transactional support. Key figures include luxury goods expert Farid Bouguettaya, who has expertise in e-commerce and internet regulations, data protection and GDPR; and IP specialist Richard Willemant, whose experience extends to matters involving aviation, media, entertainment, health, sports, gaming and transportation.
Other key lawyers:
Farid Bouguettaya; Richard Willemant
- Advised a company that has developed a technology in the sector of fragrances on negotiating its global agreements with luxury houses.
- Assisted an online B2B platform in the fashion industry with its compliance programme regarding trademark protection, in particular in relation to luxury brands.
- Assisted a French luxury house with the legal aspects regarding its internet platform (e-commerce aspects, data protection laws, contracts) and provided tailored advice to meet French and EU law requirements.
The luxury goods team at Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. is a force in the marketplace, advising on and safeguarding the IP of household names in the fashion, jewellery, cosmetics, beverages and hospitality industries, with clients including Christian Dior, LVMH and L’Oréal. The group is headed by IP litigation expert Emmanuel Larere; Raphaëlle Dequiré-Portier, who manages unfair competition law matters; Franck Audran, who handles complex competition law proceedings; IT projects expert, Thierry Dor; Olivier Diaz; who has considerable experience advising on transactions involving luxury goods companies; David Jonin, who assists with employment law as it relates to the industry; and Julien Guinot-Deléry, who specialises in NFTs and metaverse issues.
Emmanuel Larere; Raphaëlle Dequire-Portier; Franck Audran; Thierry Dor; Olivier Diaz; David Jonin; Julien Guinot-Delery
‘What differentiates Gide from other firms is the quality of the team in its availability, patience and resilience, even on the most complicated operations.’
Christian Dior Couture
Cosmetics Europe / FEBEA
- Assisted Aura Blockchain Consortium (composed of LVMH, Richemont, Prada, OTB and Mercedes-Benz) with the launch of an NFT solution for luxury brands.
- Representing Louis Vuitton (LV) in an appeal lodged before the Court of Appeal in Paris in a parasitism case involving Van Cleef & Arpels (VCA), a French luxury jewellery company, and its distributor Cartier.
- Assisting Dior with the drafting and negotiation of various types of contracts relating to copyright and image issues, that may be entered into with various third parties (agencies, celebrities, other trademarks, creators, etc.).
Combining the deep bench strength of two national offices and one in London, the experienced Paris luxury goods team at Joffe & Associés remains a leader in the practice area, advising major market players in fashion, perfumes, beverages, cosmetics and hospitality on a diverse spectrum of matters. The group is led by Thomas Lepeytre, who is an expert in distribution and the sale and purchase of industrial production sites and complex contractual projects, and Véronique Dahan, who brings strength to non-contentious and contentious IP matters, including assignment and content agreements and infringement lawsuits. They are supported by counsel and sector specialist Alvyn Gobardhan. IP/IT partner Emilie de Vaucresson joined in March 2022 from EDV Avocats.
Thomas Lepeytre; Véronique Dahan
Other key lawyers:
Alvyn Gobardhan; Emilie de Vaucresson
The IP and art law specialists at Paris boutique firm VARET PRÈS KILLY advises key luxury market players operating in the areas of wellness, fashion, art, hospitality and perfumes, on everyday matters and safeguards their brands through high-stakes litigation. The team is led by Xavier Près, who specialises in contentious matters involving copyright, trademarks, industrial designs and patents, Vincent Varet, who is an expert in the field of information technology, and Rhadamès Killy, who joined in January 2022 from his own firm, bringing strength to sports industry matters. The breadth of the practice is displayed in such transactions as the transfer of the Vichy Spa from the French State to the City of Vichy (and all the accompanying portfolio of domain names and trademarks).
Xavier Près; Vincent Varet; Rhadamès Killy
Ville de Vichy
August Debouzy provides a one-stop-shop for IP, IT, data protection, competition law, employment, regulatory and tax matters, taking a multidisciplinary approach to advising major global luxury brands active in the fashion, automotive, cosmetics, hospitality, jewellery and beverage sectors. Mahasti Razavi has IT expertise, Florence Chafiol specialises in data protection and project launches and Alexandra Berg-Moussa handles major digital transformations of supply chains.
Mahasti Razavi; Alexandra Berg-Moussa; Florence Chafiol; Guillaume Aubatier; Laurent Cotret; Vincent Brenot; Xavier Rhomer; Marie-Hélène Bensadoun; Fabienne Haas
The Paris luxury goods team at global law firm Baker McKenzie marshals the bench strength of its team to provide a comprehensive service to major brands including Moët-Hennessy, L’Oréal and Estée Lauder across the fashion, cosmetics, hospitality and food and beverages industries. Civil and commercial litigation specialist Katia Boneva-Desmicht leads the group, bringing strength to contractual disputes and the reorganisation of exclusive and selective distribution networks. Key support is provided by Virginie Ulmann, an expert adviser on IP commercial dealings who also provides representation in disputes involving trademarks, domain names, patents and designs.
Other key lawyers:
Children Worldwide Fashion (CWF)
Gold Filled Cordoba
Hôtel Prince de Galles
Kadine (Essentiel Antwerp)
Moët-Hennessy and Société Jas Hennessy & Co.
Prince de Galles
Qatar Luxury Group
SNCF / Orient Express
- Assisting Moët-Hennessy, the wine and spirits division of LVMH, with numerous issues regarding the protection and defence of Hennessy’s intellectual property rights.
- Advised the Children Worldwide Fashion (CWF) group (the European leader in the high-end children’s fashion market) on its partial takeover bid as part of a disposal plan of Kidiliz group’s activities, in receivership.
- Advised the owners of the “Prince de Galles”, a luxury hotel located on Avenue Georges V in Paris, on the refinancing of its bank debt with HSBC Continental Europe for an amount of EUR 115m.
The luxury Paris goods team at global firm Dentons includes specialists in a diverse range of disciplines (corporate and M&A, IP, employment, TMT, tax, real estate, competition) to advise clients in the fragrances, fashion, cosmetics, jewellery and winery sectors, including Supreme and Fontaine Limited. The team is led by Sandra Hazan, who has over 25 years’ experience in the tax law area, assisting clients with restructuring and transfer pricing. Other key figures include senior counsel and IP expert Isabelle Leroux, employment co-heads Frédérique Meslay Caloni and Katell Déniel-Allioux and exprerienced IP litigator Loïc Lemercier.
Other key lawyers:
Isabelle Leroux; Frédérique Meslay Caloni; Katell Déniel-Allioux; Loïc Lemercier; Emmanuelle van den Broucke; Christine Sévère; Julie Caussade
Fontaine Limited (CREED perfume)
SUPREME (Chapter 4)
- Advising and representing Supreme, a New-York based apparel brand, in more than five litigations in several French courts (Paris, Bordeaux and Marseille) defending its Supreme trademark against international infringers.
- Assisted Hotel Plaza Athénée with the implementation of an innovative system of variable compensation for employees following the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Engineered a group transfer pricing policy and designed the European implementation for client Supreme.
The luxury goods team at Deprez Guignot Associés provides comprehensive advisory and litigation services to manage and protect the IP portfolios of major brands operating in the jewellery, fragrances, fashion, cosmetics and beverages sectors. The team is headed by firm co-managing partner Vincent Fauchoux, who co-founded the startup BlockchainyourIP which was incubated in-house and employs blockchain legaltech to safeguard clients' creations. Associate Annabelle Dalex provides additional support.
Other key lawyers:
French Federation of Sewing
Van Cleef & Arpels
- Assisting the Richemont Group (Van Cleef & Arpels, Panerai, Piaget, Cartier, Vacheron Constant) on its global IP management.
- Advising Chanel on strategic aspects of intellectual property law, both advice and in litigation.
- Assisting the Federation française de la couture and its members on strategic IP issues concerning IP innovations (blockchain, metaverse, NFT).
The luxury goods team at the Paris office of global firm Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP provides a full service to major luxury brands in cosmetics, travel and fashion (including Clinique), advising on contentious and non-contentious matters involving IP, competition, employment and product safety. The group is headed by Etienne Drouard, who is a specialist in privacy and data protection; Mikael Salmela, who heads the firm’s IT and outsourcing practice; and Thierry Meillat, who assists with complex labour and employment issues. Olivia Bernardeau-Paupe left the firm to join Dechert LLP in January 2023.
Etienne Drouard; Mikael Salmela; Thierry Meillat
‘As a partner, Etienne Drouard remains accessible and fully-involved in the files. Etienne’s expertise and experience in data protection is very advanced. He provides valuable advice close to the commercial reality of our sector.’
Clinique Laboratories LLC and ELCO
- Acted for Clinique Laboratories LLC (Estée Lauder Group) in the successful conclusion of a 6-year trademark opposition battle against the French company WB Technologies.