As one of the oldest firms on the French market dedicated to IT and data, Alain Bensoussan-Avocats Lexing offers outstanding expertise. Alain Bensoussan is the founder of the firm and founder of the Lexing Network, the first international law network for digital and emerging law. The team has helped a number of key local authorities and cities around Paris to become GDPR compliant and is also the Data Protection Officer of the Conseil Régional Île de France. With ‘sharp expertise in the field‘, the firm is a key name for data-related issues.
Data privacy and data protection in France
Alain Bensoussan-Avocats Lexing
Other key lawyers:
‘Sharp expertise in the field, reactivity, great availability.’
‘Proven methodology for the implementation of GDPR compliance.’
‘Frédéric Forster demonstrates an exceptional capacity to adapt to the degree of expertise of his clients and different levels of compliance in order to best meet the needs of the company, in particular by allowing the subjects to be prioritised according to their importance or their complexity.’
‘Reactive and pragmatic.’
‘Committed and available.’
Musée du Louvre
Fondation Abbé Pierre
First Abu Dahbi Bank
Château de Versailles
Les Hôtels Baverez (Hôtel Raphaël, Hôtel Regina, Majestic Hôtel)
Conseil Général d’Île-de-France
Institut supérieur de l’aéronautique et de l’espace
Ficime (Fédération des Entreprises Internationales de la Mécanique et de l’Electronique)
Syndicat intercommunal de la Périphérie de Paris pour les réseaux de communication
Syndicat Intercommunal Funéraire de la Région parisienne
Régie Réunion THD
Service Général de Médecine Conseil et Contrôle des industries électriques et gazières
ACM Habitat (Office public de l’Habitat de Montpellier Méditerranée Métropole)
Groupement pour l’itinérance des recharges électriques de véhicules
GIE Aréa Santé
Commune de Puteaux
Commune de Rosny-sous-Bois
Commune de Saint-Ouen
Commune de Bussy-Saint-Georges
Commune de Villejuif
Commune de Villeneuve-la-Garenne
Commune de la Courneuve
Commune de la Garenne Colombes
Commune de VIllepinte
Lucy In The Sky with Data
- Acting as external data protection officer (DPO) of Foundation of Abbé Pierre, a foundation combating bad housing, to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Assisted the Louvre Museum with GDPR compliance and and became its outsourced DPO.
- Assisted a large number of local authorities neighbouring Paris with becoming compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
August Debouzy is known as ‘the perfect French data & privacy package’, with an excellent reputation for compliance advisory work as well as for data protection pre-litigation and litigation cases. The firm successfully defended Fleishman Hilliard in a data protection provisions infringement pre-litigation matter that involved both criminal and administrative investigations by a French prosecutor and the CNIL. Practice head Florence Chafiol is lauded as an ‘outstanding expert on all privacy matters’. Associates Stéphanie Lapeyre and Alice Hourquebie are also renowed for their expertise.
‘A&D’s data and privacy team, led by the incomparable Florence Chafiol, is a perfect mix of legal expertise, commercial savvy and client friendliness. Add in a massive capacity for hard work, excellent responsiveness and being fun people to work with you have … the perfect French data & privacy package.’
‘Florence Chafiol is a wonderful lawyer – expert in the law, but commercially realistic, hard-working but always polite and friendly, energetic and hard-working, yet cool and calm under pressure. The perfect French data and privacy lawyer.’
‘I work with Florence Chafiol and Marie-Charlotte Hustache. Available, attentive to requests, client-friendly in their approach, very pragmatic while having great technicality. These are the qualities that I look for in good advice and which in my opinion make the difference. In addition, I must highlight their personal qualities which make our interactions very pleasant.’
‘Florence Chafiol has been our go-to expert on privacy matters. She is extremely experienced and understands her client’s requirements and desired outcomes. She is very familiar with the tech sector and how it operates and can provide timely, digestible advice which is accurate and well researched. She is an outstanding expert on all privacy matters. Other impressive team members include Stéphanie Lapeyre and Alice Hourquebie.’
‘The strength of August Debouzy is to be able to combine multiple skills for areas related to GDPR compliance around data protection specialists.’
‘We have an easily reachable privileged contact who follows all of our requests and capitalises on a good knowledge of our environment and our expectations. We thus receive a quick and convenient answer to questions which do not require in-depth study. The monthly package allows you to anticipate and smooth out expenses.’
‘Florence Chafiol and her team listen to us and know how to adapt their service offerings to our needs and constraints. Discussions with Stéphanie Lapeyre and Alice Hourquebie are fluid and allow us to deepen complex and constantly evolving subjects. Their interventions with operational staff have demonstrated their ability to make our subject matter accessible to non-lawyers and to support them in difficult or even crisis situations.’
Total Direct Energies
France Médias Monde
Omnicom and its affiliates
Philip Morris France
Total SA & Total Global Procurement
La Poste Telecom
- Advised Fleishman Hillard in the context of a pre-litigation case for data protection provisions infringements by Monsanto.
- Acted as counsel for Microsoft in the implementation of the ’24H Holographic Surgery Live’ event organized in partnership with the ‘Assistance publique – Hôpitaux de Paris’.
- Assisted Pernod Ricard with its advertising targeting activities on social networks in order to ensure its compliance in this area from a personal data protection point of view.
Baker McKenzie acts for corporate clients in high-stakes disputes involving coordinated enforcement actions by several data protection authorities. The team also conducts multijurisdictional surveys and studies for large data privacy, e-commerce, and internet projects. Enhancing its offering in cybersecurity, the team is often called upon to conduct investigations in connection with attempted or committed fraud or data breaches. Co-head Yann Padova ‘is a brilliant tactician and a client-centric practitioner’. Magalie Dansac Le Clerc is a name to note at the firm for her specialisation in regulatory matters concerning data privacy.
Other key lawyers:
‘The relevance and consistency of Baker McKenzie’s analysis are outstanding on the entrusted topics. The pragmatic approach they recommend is key to ensuring success. Going to the point, embracing all dimensions of subjects addressed, leaving no-one behind requires a strong personality, an open-minded approach and of course expertise; each member of the practice demonstrated these qualities while working together.’
‘Yann Padova is a brilliant tactician and a client-centric practitioner, focused on client’s expectations and needs, showing great speaking assets, delivering on time and able to propose efficient solutions. I definitely recommend him.’
Crédit Agricole Group
Bird & Bird works extensively on global compliance actions and on international data transfers. As competent litigators, the team represented Doctolib before the Conseil d’Etat in a successful dispute which brought important developments to the ongoing Schrems II debate. Handling sensitive and challenging data matters for the banking sector, the firm counts Orange Bank, a bank launched by French telecom company Orange, to its client list. Ariane Mole‘s previous in-house experience at the French Data Protection Authority gives her valuable insight into regulatory matters. Mole co-leads the department with the well-respected Merav Griguer.
‘Providing practical advice, remaining aware of the business needs. Responsive and efficient.’
‘Very experienced and knowledgeable, keeping track of legislative developments.’
- Represented Doctolib, the country’s main Covid-19 vaccination scheduling platform, in a dispute before the Conseil d’Etat, regarding compliance requirements for personal data transfers to the US, securing a judgment that brought new developments to the ‘Schrems II’ debate.
- Assisted NextMind, a winner of ‘Best of Innovation’ award at CES 2020 in Las Vegas, with assessing its data protection obligations under data protection law for its cutting edge technology.
- Acting as strategic adviser of Orange SA, including Orange Bank, for sensitive matters relating to data, privacy and cybersecurity issues.
Acting for both public and private players on GDPR compliance, Derriennic Associés has formed a dedicated GDPR team that includes a former in-house lawyer of the French Data Protection Authority. The team has conducted a number of in-depth compliance audits and assists with crisis management in the event of cyberattacks and data breaches. Pierre-Yves Margnoux worked for the legal unit of a major European digital services company and has built up extensive experience in the field of new technologies. Francois-Pierre Lani is also known for his expertise in new technologies. On contentious data matters, Georges Jenselme is then named to note. Bruno Ducoulombier supports companies in their digital transformation projects. Alexandre Fievée's background in telematics gives him an in-depth understanding of the technology used to monitor information.
‘Agile and innovative team, understands the challenges faced by clients and adapts to their constraints, offers pragmatic solutions balancing risks and opportunities.’
‘Alexandre Fiévée is our contact on personal data protection and the GDPR. Available, agile and pragmatic.’
‘Excellent ability to manage and deliver very large compliance projects on the scale of international groups.’
‘Strong cooperation and involvement with the business. The firm has been able to bring real added value. Excellent integration within the group and its teams. Very good quality of teaching to prepare for the DPO certification.’
‘They focus on building a long-term relationship with their client. Extreme flexibility and responsiveness when desired. Strong expertise, excellent project management. Very good ability to understand the client’s businesses and their business model as well as the associated risks. Very solid knowledge of information systems and IT risks, which is a key issue to ensure GDPR compliance’.
La Banque Postale
- Assisted Hivebrite with an audit of the personal data processing regarding customer experience with the GDPR compliance of the client’s platform which manages and engages types of private communities, such as alumni, corporate alumni, professional networks, non-profits.
- Assisted Cerba Healthcare’s Data Protection Officer with defining and implementing the various actions likely to ensure the compliance of personal data processing implemented by the different entities of the group.
DLA Piper advises clients on complex data transfer projects and cybersecurity concerns. The team has particularly strong expertise in data for the life sciences and pharmaceutical sector, accompanying laboratories in their GDPR compliance programmes and advising on the data protection aspects of clinical trials. The cybersecurity team is led by Denise Lebeau-Marianna with the support of Fabienne Panneau for the contentious aspects, Fabien Ganivet on the criminal aspects, and Jonathan Rofé on the IT law side.
Other key lawyers:
Health Data Hub
Pierre Fabre Group
- Advising Health Data Hub on the likelihood of application of US Surveillance laws to the data hosted on the Health Data Hub platform by Microsoft Azur.
- Advised a major aeronautic company’s data protection officer on all its strategic data privacy matters, including new research projects involving artificial intelligence and the implementation of a global training program for pilots and technicians.
- Assisting a leading group in the cosmetic industry with the implementation of its GDPR compliance programme.
Led by Ahmed Baladi, Gibson Dunn‘s stellar practice advises clients on complex and sensitive data protection matters in connection with investigations launched by national data protection authorities and in relation to cyber incidents concerning multijurisdictional compliance programmes. As a result of the team’s widely recognised expertise in digital projects and their legal issues, the firm is regularly sought after for its counsel in highly strategic M&A operations. Testament to its expertise, its client list ranges from top-tier tech giants to global luxury goods producers. Key member of the team, Vera Lukic was welcomed to the partnership at the start of 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Platinum Equity Advisors, LLC
Unibail Rodamco Westfield
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I.‘s team is particularly renowned for data protection work in the banking, insurance and fintech sectors, as well as in digital marketing and advertisement, tourism, and retail. Leading high-profile data protection projects and compliance reviews under the GDPR or the e-privacy framework, the team is entrusted by the likes of Axa, Crédit Agricole, Radio France. Thierry Dor leads the team; Aurélie Pacaud has now left the firm.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP is counsel to some of the largest internet and technology companies in the world. Working with leading clients in an advisory capacity as well as on contentious issues, the team is able to support clients with almost any data-related issue. The team led by Alexandra Néri has ‘high expertise and total mastery of the subjects covered’ as well as a global perspective on data protection. Head of e-commerce Sébastien Proust is an integral part of the team.
‘An intelligent and modern approach coupled with high expertise and total mastery of the subjects covered.’
‘Our subjects were not only treated with great legal expertise, but also taking their political aspect, and a lot of common sense, which is appreciable.’
‘They have a global view on data protection and can assist in any jurisdiction.’
‘They have hands-on experience and have tested the laws and regulations.’
- Acted for Google in a litigation related to Google’s terms and conditions of use and privacy policies, in line with consumer law and data privacy law.
- Acting as counsel for Google in several ongoing disputes brought by professional individuals regarding their personal data used in professional listings that appear in Google results.
Clifford Chance‘s Paris office is a hub of expertise in data protection, cybersecurity and artificial intelligence. The Paris team regularly assists other teams within the firm’s network on key multi-jurisdictional projects. Advising French television production company Canal Plus on its major digital transformation project to broadcast more content online demonstrated the team's ability to handle large complex multidisciplinary matters. The practice is also sought after for structuring and implementing international data transfer strategies. Partner and practice-head Dessislava Savova is a go-to individual at the firm and is supported by counsel Grégory Sroussi.
Leading Chinese Bank
- Advised Canal Plus in the context of its digital transformation on the reshaping and implementation of its international data transfers strategy.
- Advised Unifiedpost, an EU-based Fintech, on the context of a strategic partnership with a GAFAM and international data transfer aspects related thereto.
- Acting as counsel for Legrand, a leading group in electric and digital infrastructure solutions, to carry out the strategic launch of a new range of connected objects and related online applications on a worldwide basis.
CMS‘ data protection and data privacy team combines ‘a very high level of expertise and a pragmatic and constructive approach’ in matters concerning personal data law and new technologies. Anne-Laure Villedieu advises and represents French and international companies before courts or the Data Protection Authorities and is the French coordinator for several global GDPR compliance programs. The firm has multi-sectorial expertise with a client base ranging from the automotive industry to the media sector. Associate Maxime Hanriot has particular knowledge of cybersecurity law.
Other key lawyers:
‘A team with a very operational vision and knowing how to be a force for concrete proposals, with a real dimension of advice. Very in-depth knowledge of the subject and a very appreciable benchmark contribution for its clients. A team that does not hesitate to surround itself with the firm’s other expertise and have the delicate points to be addressed confirmed, which creates a relationship of great trust.’
‘Beyond technical expertise, we must salute the availability, efficiency, responsiveness and pragmatism.’
‘The CMS team specialising in new technologies and personal data law always provides extremely relevant advice, combining a very high level of expertise with a pragmatic and constructive approach.’
‘Anne-Laure Villedieu is highly recommended for her availability, her experience and her in-depth knowledge of the problems specific to different sectors, as well as for her very engaging customer approach. Maxime Hanriot is also an excellent contact.’
‘Their skills, availability, responsiveness, listening, good advice and efficiency throughout, in particular Anne-Laure Villedieu and Clara Feragus.’
Al Khaliji France
Bank of China
Al Khaliji France
Bank of China
- Advising Al Khaliji on all its data protection issues, acting as the external data protection officer of the company.
- Deployed a global GDPR compliance program for SPIE Operations and SPIE France affecting all subsidiaries of the SPIE Group located in France and elsewhere.
De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés focuses on the regulatory and transactional digitalisation matters and has advised numerous big players on their data projects. The team also acts for start-ups and SMEs, notably advising Datakalab, an AI start-up, regarding its data protection considerations. The firm was the first independent French law firm selected and qualified as Europrivacy official partner by the European Centre for Certification and Privacy. Cécile Théard-Jallu and Georgie Courtois lead the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Georgie Courtois is the lawyer with whom I was able to work and was able to appreciate his availability and his practical approach.’
Alliance Digitale Maladie Coronavirus.fr
Département des Yvelines – E-tonomy
Gouvernement de la Guyane,
Gouvernement de la Nouvelle Calédonie
Monte-Carlo Société des Bains de Mer
MSF Médecins sans Frontière
Orientis Kusmi Tea
Féral‘s data team regularly handles data protection mandates from sensitive industry sectors such as banking, insurance, healthcare, and pharmaceuticals. The team has a strong track record for GDPR assessments and audits, including data protection impact assessments across various sectors of activity. Farid Bouguettaya joined the firm in 2021 from Artemont with an ‘excellent knowledge of data protection laws’. Christiane Féral-Schuhl and Richard Willemant also stand out for their expertise. Associate Justine Sinibaldi is an up-and-coming expert in computer and internet projects, assisting with the implementation of online and e-commerce platforms, software license audits and SaaS.
‘A team of attentive lawyers, fully understanding our challenges and strength of proposal. Understandable and pragmatic deliverables (notably memorandums). Their applications were clearly explained.’
‘I worked more particularly with Justine Sinibaldi. Excellent understanding of our issues and our needs. Perfect mastery of our subjects. Reliable and precise.’
‘The firm provides a wide variety of legal services, especially focusing on IT/IP sector. Remarkably, the firm has strong ties with a Japanese law firm, which enables it to contact the Japanese business community in France and acquire a unique position there.’
‘Other than Christiane Feral-Schuhl, Richard Willemant is a key person at the firm. He really understands the industry.’
‘Team at the top of its market, which has an excellent knowledge of its subjects, which it implements in the cases that we do with them, that is to say, legal due diligence in the context of projects acquisitions and possible treatment of identified subjects.’
‘Technical mastery, judgement, client relationship, ability to process cases in English for Anglo-Saxon clients, by Richard Willemant. Clémence Pancracio also deserves a mention.’
‘The team at Féral is very responsive, friendly and competent. It is extremely pleasant to work with such a professional and smart team, in particular for complex innovative subjects.’
‘We work with Farid Bouguettaya who is a very talented, smart, creative, and professional partner. The advice he provided us with was always perfectly adapted and his personality and ability to play with technical and complex legal issues are very appreciated. Would totally recommend working with such a good data protection lawyer, who combines an excellent knowledge of data protection laws and the sectors in which we are involved. Could not have a better lawyer to assist us!’
- Advising a French company specialised in providing services to hospital patients, their relatives, and hospital staff, on its GPDR Compliance and on a request for information from the French Data Protection Authority.
- Assisting the French companies of a large group in the steel industry with respect to GDPR Compliance, acting as Data Protection Officer for all entities in France.
- Acting as counsel to a start-up accelerator on data protection and privacy issues.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP guides clients through the complex regulatory landscape of data protection and privacy compliance matters. With long-standing experience advising on highly sensitive data breaches, the team can be relied on for crisis management. The data privacy and information technology expert at the firm, Patrice Navarro, is particularly experienced in advising clients on strategic data valorisation schemes and privacy issues, especially on health data-related subjects. Etienne Drouard is another key name at the firm, advising private and public entities operating IT and telecom infrastructures, online services, digital media and e-commerce platforms. Christine Gateau handles contentious matters.
Association Française de la Relation Client
Groupe CANAL +
- Assisting Webhelp, a major worldwide call centre group, with the approval of its Binding Corporate Rules with the French Data Protection Authority as the leading authority.
- Providing comprehensive and global assistance to Bristol Myers Squibb/Celgene to ensure that the numerous data protection operations related to the commercialisation of their innovative drug treatment CAR T fully comply in all the European countries, in Japan, and other countries around the globe.
- Assisting Aéroports de Lyon, a major global airport infrastructure operator, with the implementation of a facial recognition project.
‘Specialist in new technologies’, K&L Gates LLP‘s team has an outstanding reputation for legal advice on innovative technologies and data-related concerns. Claude-Etienne Armingaud and Raphael Bloch are recognised as ‘exceptional lawyers who miss no details and who know their fields to perfection’. Claude-Etienne Armingaud has developed particular knowledge of multijurisdictional transactional matters dealing with IT outsourcing and data protection for blockchain and fintech, connected cars, and big data services.
Other key lawyers:
‘K&L Gates remains true to its values of promoting technology and social justice.’
‘On diversity, K&L Gates is one of the most visible among law firms, notably with its ‘Conversations About Race’ conference series. Claude-Etienne Armingaud’s presence on the Diversity Committee is also appreciated insofar as most Anglo-Saxon firms are satisfied with an American-American approach and not a global one.’
‘Specialist in new technologies, Claude-Etienne Armingaud has been with us since the very beginning. He was able to advise us on all the regulatory aspects of our activity.’
‘Claude-Etienne Armingaud and Raphael Bloch are both exceptional lawyers who miss no details and who know their fields to perfection. They know how to adapt to our needs and are absolutely always available. It goes without saying that we recommend them without hesitation whenever possible.’
‘The impressive knowledge of the field of personal data protection is undoubtedly the asset of the team of this law firm. Knowing all regulations and legislative updates regarding personal data allows for practical and in-depth advice. They are pragmatic and competent in any matter of personal data protection whatever the legal basis to be used: French legislation, European regulations, international texts. I highly recommend the K&L Gates for any digital society legal issue born.’
‘Claude-Etienne Armingaud has shown invaluable support which, by providing his expertise in the field of personal data, helps to save time and explores new avenues to trace any problem. Working with him has left me with the most positive impressions and he remains the first to contact if I encounter any difficulties regarding data protection policies and procedures.’
Channel Advisor Corporation
Masraf Al Rayan QSC
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
Cyber Civil Rights Initiative
Channel Advisor Corporation
Masraf Al Rayan QSC
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
Cyber Civil Rights Initiative
- Assisting Ergotron, a US company manufacturing desks, mobile carts and screen stands, with its GDPR compliance.
- Assisted Carnegie Mellon University with the GDPR compliance of its documentation for the testing and deployment of AI-backed solutions.
- Advised Sinch AB within the framework of its acquisition of SAP Digital Interconnect with a focus on IT and data protection laws.
Latham & Watkins has profound expertise in data-centric technologies, which allows it to assist clients in navigating the increasingly complex commercial, technological and regulatory challenges. Myria Saarinen is a key figure in the firm’s data privacy global team and a well recognised litigator, leading the Paris commercial litigation practice, which encompasses IT litigation and data protection matters. Her team is known for being ‘dynamic‘ and ‘pragmatic‘ as well as for being ‘experts in the field of personal data protection’.
‘Dynamic, pragmatic team, experts in the field of personal data protection.’
‘We work with Myria Saarinen who is a great expert with a very pragmatic approach. For particularly complex cases, it is a pleasure to work with Saarinen and her team. The consultations are detailed, but include a pragmatic synthesis and practical diagrams.’
Osborne Clarke‘s ‘profound technical skills‘ make it a go-to firm in France for data privacy-related matters, including data breaches and GDPR compliance. Testament to the practice’s competence in cross-border matters, the team is handling the global compliance GDPR program of ManpowerGroup, the third-largest staffing company in the world. Lauded by clients for its business acumen, coupled with in-depth knowledge of the law, the team is a ‘valuable partner‘ to its clients. Claire Bouchenard is a name to note at the firm, advising clients on data privacy regulatory compliance and e-privacy, with a strong focus on the regulation of cookies. Xavier Pican also handles data privacy compliance as well as cyber security work. Béatrice Delmas-Linel left the firm in January 2022 for an in-house position.
‘This practice combines excellent and profound technical skills, high professionalism and a very business-friendly and pragmatic approach. They have integrated so well with our organisation and have such great business acumen which, combined with the in-depth knowledge of the law, makes them valuable partners.’
‘The professionalism and work ethic, the friendly yet professional approach, the consistency and depth legal and technical skills, the amazing understanding of our business.’
‘Great listening skills, ability to adapt and make available the experience acquired with other clients and in the management of other cases to deliver tailor-made legal advice with as much as possible a ‘business’ approach ‘despite the constraints of the regulations’.’
‘Accessibility, listening, proactivity, humanity.’
Groupe la Française
Palais des Thés
- Advised Casino Group and its adtech affiliate RelevanC on all aspects, including data privacy aspects, of the digital retail partnership with competitor retail grocery leader Intermarché.
- Assisted Manpower’s in-house legal data team with the company’s global compliance programme for France which included cyber training and ISO audits.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP is sought after for its capabilities in cyber attack management and GDPR compliance. Having created structured security incident response teams for major organisations, including groups listed on the stock exchanges in Paris and New York, the firm is a very good choice for data breach management. Annabelle Richard leads the department, with senior associate Anne-Sophie Mouren providing key support. Richard is a go-to name for GDPR advice in regulated industries such as gambling, healthcare, financial services, and insurance.
Other key lawyers:
‘The strength of the Data Protection team at the Paris office of Pinsent Masons LLP is its responsiveness and availability in managing cases and organising events on topical issues with a view from other lawyers. Offices in other European countries as well as its complete and integrated vision of the subject of data protection with cybersecurity issues are other assets.’
‘Annabelle Richard stands out from her colleagues by her availability, her responsiveness and, in particular, her pragmatism in her approach to the issues submitted to her.’
Taylor Wessing‘s team of specialist IT and data protection lawyers receives instructions from a diverse group of clients, ranging from blue-chip global brands to smaller enterprises with novel business models and technologies. The firm’s full-service offering includes transactional work, contentious matters, GDPR compliance, and cybersecurity advice. Marc Schuler and Philippe Glaser lead the practice and are names to note in the field. Counsel Benjamin Znaty also stands out for his knowledge of data protection regulation.
- Assisting Comcast on a day-to-day basis with its ad-tech activities from a transactional standpoint as well as the underlying processing of personal data.
- Representing IBM in major IT litigation in addition to advising on regulatory matters in relation to GDPR.
- Providing assistance to Amazon on a regular basis in relation to its online activities and the launch of new offers.
Particularly active in strategetic litigation, ADVANT Altana is experienced in cross-border disputes for French clients. On the transactional side, the team assisted La Poste’s digital branch with its acquisition of Openvalue, a big data and AI consulting firm. The firm also advises companies on their compliance with GDPR. Pierre Lubet and Jean-Guy de Ruffray lead the practice and both have expertise in IT and IP law.
BANKESS (DIGITAL RECRUITERS)
- Advised Cegid on the acquisition of the ACA Group, an independent software publisher specializing in cash management, management of accounting and financial flows and also has a management solution dedicated to the insurance sector.
- Assisted La Poste’s digital branch with its development in artificial intelligence by advising the group on its acquisition of Openvalue, a big data and AI consulting firm.
- Actings as counsel to the founding partners of the studio OHM Games, leader in the production of hyper-casual mobile video games, in the context of the sale of a majority stake to Voodoo.
With a strong track record in information technology transactions, Astura frequently also assists with data privacy work in cross-border transactions. Before co-founding Astura, Matthieu Mélin worked at numerous international firms and has since built a team that assists with GDPR compliance and audits as well as with the drafting of data privacy impact assessments.
Delsol Avocats‘s dedicated data practice has a focus on data compliance, audits, and impact assessments. Jeanne Bossi Malafosse ‘s in-house experience at the French Data Protection Authority and the French Healthcare Information Systems Agency give her a unique insight into both data privacy enforcement and healthcare data. The firm assisted with the establishment of the ‘Agoria Santé’ consortium comprising AstraZeneca, Docaposte, and Impact Healthcare, created to provide public and private players with a controlled legal framework and shared governance to carry out research projects on health data.
- Advised AstraZeneca, Docaposte and Impact Healthcare with the creation of the ‘Agoria Santé’ consortium.
Dentons is a go-to firm for data protection, particularly in the event of criminal data breaches. Leading the practice is Christophe Fichet, who has a specific focus on cyber incident response strategies, and assists clients with mapping their cyber risks, designing cyber incident response plans, and managing cyber crises from a regulatory perspective. The team has expertise in all facets of European and French data protection and cybersecurity laws and regulations.
The newly consolidated practice at Franklin is made up of ‘a very strong team with deep expertise in privacy and data protection’. Valérie Aumage joined from Taylor Wessing in May 2021, alongside associates Nolwenn Vignaud and Chloé Martin dit Neuville. Aumage is a tech and data privacy expert with over 20 years of transactional and litigation experience. The team routinely assists key French and overseas-based clients with their overall privacy compliance efforts as well as with specific data protection issues.
‘Valérie Aumage is extremely professional and made herself available quickly. Rigour and perfect mastery of IT subjects allowed a quick signing.’
‘Ability to mobilise quickly on complex issues. Excellent knowledge of the environment and our context.’
‘Expertise, efficiency and a sense of results.’
‘A very strong team with a deep expertise in privacy and data protection.’
‘Valérie Aumage has a great experience in data protection and knows very well how to find practical solutions in order to implement legal requirements considering the needs of the business.’
‘Franklin is formed by outstanding avocats providing best-in-class advice. It is a full-service law firm putting their clients above all. Communication is outstanding, making the client feel that it has all the support it needs to overcome any issues. They provide flexible rates and are all experts in their field. Franklin people are well aware of the modern problems caused by technological developments and they are always finding out of the box solutions.’
‘Valérie Aumage is a very professional lawyer with great and broad expertise in the TMT/data protection fields. She is a ‘thought leader’ in the field and develops a unique way when it comes to approaching a specific problem, always finding the best possible solutions for her clients.’
Boutique information technology firm ITLAW Avocats has complementary expertise in data protection and data privacy as well as in intellectual property, thanks to its 25 years of experience in these fields. Practice head Claudia Weber created a working group with major market players on the topic of data protection agreements in IT projects, leading to the drafting of a guide on the matter. The team is known for ‘experience that goes far beyond their legal expertise’.
‘Each client is known individually to Claudia Weber, the founder of the firm. The partners and associates know each other and have experience that goes far beyond their legal expertise, bringing them closer to their clients’ concerns.’
‘Multidisciplinary team specialising in information systems. Very close to the clients.’
Ministère de l’Intérieur
Le Guide du Data Processing Agreement
- Created a working group with major market players on the topic of Data Protection Agreements in IT projects, which led to the drafting of the Practical Guide for drafting and negotiating DPAs.
- Providing legal advice and assistance to Caisse des dépôts et consignations on data protection matters.
- Won a public contract for assistance with the procurement of the information and communication systems of the Ministry of the Interior.
Klein Wenner‘s ‘involved and particularly responsive team’ offers a global, coordinated approach to all issues relating to data privacy, cybersecurity and open data. Matthieu Bourgeois and Laurent Badiane co-lead the data team comprised of lawyers who have ‘high-level expertise and proven experience’ in the field. The team is capable of handling large projects, such as assisting Totum Pharmacies, a network of 200 French pharmacies with their data protection compliance audit.
‘Klein Wenner has an experienced team of GDPR experts. Careful follow-up of files. Respect of deadlines.’
‘Involved and particularly responsive team. Quick and well-argued responses. High-level expertise and proven experience of the entire team. Identified and regular stakeholders. Intelligent team knowing how to adapt to the context and its evolution.’
‘Wealth of expertise and the mastery of the specialties make this firm the essential partner to assist you in the treatment of a dispute or litigation, but also to support the development of a company.’
ALLIANCE DU COMMERCE
Gabonese Strategic Investment Fund (FGIS)
ONE FIRST GROUP (formerly EZEEWORLD)
- Acting as counsel for the Alliance du Commerce in the deployment implementation of a French Code of conduct applicable to the personal goods retail sector in cooperation with the French Data Authority.
- Advised and assisted the Gabonese Strategic Investment Fund in the negotiation of a contract relating to the migration of a computer system containing software.
- Assisted Lucky Cart by drafting two privacy impact assessments (PIA) and a legal opinion on the use of a cookie on the websites of retailers for the participation of consumers in digital sweepstakes.
Linklaters handles data protection matters as part of its TMT work, which is supervised by Pauline Debré and led by Sonia Cissé. The team has a particular focus on binding corporate rules and cloud projects. Entrusted with sensitive data protection matters by leading bank Société Générale, the firm is relied on for its expertise in data transfers in the context of the Schrems II agreement. Cissé is known for being ‘dynamic, serious, business-oriented’.
‘Sonia Cissé is responsive, proactive, dynamic, serious, business-oriented and very pleasant.’
Allianz Global Investors GmbH
ITM Entreprises SA
- Advised BNP Paribas on the data protection aspects of the acquisition by BNP Paribas Securities Services and BNP Paribas Asset Management of a 22.5% strategic stake in Allfunds Bank, one of the world’s leading wealth tech and fund distribution companies, alongside Hellman & Friedman, GIC, and Credit Suisse.
- Assisted the Bel Group on the data protection aspects of its entry into exclusive negotiations with the Lactalis Group.
- Acting as counsel to Société Générale regarding its data protection obligations and the best way to transfer and protect such information, in particular after the Schrems II judgment.
Boutique IP, data and IT firm Olivia Luzi advises both French and international clients on aspects related to the protection, security, and cross-border transfer of personal data. Led by Olivia Luzi, the team assists clients from diverse industry sectors during on-the-spot CNIL dawn raid inspections, GDRP audits and compliance, and privacy impact assessments. Olivia Luzi is known for her ‘great expertise’ and ‘bespoke advice through her ability to provide realistic solutions’.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is available, very competent, and adapts to our needs.’
‘Frank and flexible, good advice to settle/avoid disputes.’
‘Luzi Avocats is a firm that has in-depth knowledge of the regulations on the protection of personal data and extensive experience in the field. The firm advised us on several projects and for several years on our documentation and on a security incident which was remarkably well managed.’
‘Olivia Luzi has a practical mind, always makes herself available and respects her commitments. We appreciate her pragmatic spirit. She is surrounded by a carefully trained team.’
‘Luzi Avocats has great experience in data privacy law. This area is quite complex as it combines legal and technical aspects. Luzi Avocats is keen to deliver advice that takes into account our operational and regulatory constraints. Expertise, pragmatism, delivery to budget, and proactivity are definitively their key strengths.’
‘Olivia Luzi (partner): having extensive knowledge of our industry and corporate environment, she provides great expertise and bespoke advice through her ability to provide realistic solutions taking into account risk management. She also offers very good drafting, cost consciousness and is very nice to work with. Agathe Moulins: proactive, very good drafting, very professional.’
‘The team is pragmatic by nature. It is all about applying regulations and how to implement these within a standing organization and its commercial relations. At Luzi Avocats the client is treated as a client should be; being supported, aided, initiating improvements, learning while mitigating risks related to complex (GDPR) regulations.’
‘Each individual within Luzi Avocats is ‘on the ball’. It is not about billing hours but about client satisfaction and results!’
CNCC – Compagnie nationale des commissaires aux comptes
SQILLS PRODUCT BV
FEDERATION FRANCAISE DU BATIMENT
TRAVELDOO – Expedia Group
CONSUMER GOODS FORUM – GLOBAL FOOD INITIATIVE
- Advised OVHCloud on the negotiation of a key strategic partnership agreement with Google for the development of a cloud sovereign solution.
- Assisted Sqills Products with the drafting and negotiation of a major license and implementation agreement with SNCF.
- Acted as counsel for Biogaran in a GDPR compliance audit mission.
McDermott Will & Emery AARPI's data protection and privacy expertise spans the automotive industry, the life sciences sector, consumer goods, and the public sector. With a strong client base of start-ups with a focus on the AI, big data and health sectors, the firm has worked with members of the Paris Biotech incubator. Romain Perray‘s team has ‘real expertise‘ and a ‘tailor-made approach‘ in finding solutions to complex issues.
‘Strong expertise in a new field.’
‘Good firm, good GDPR expertise, also provides relational help with the CNIL.’
‘Real expertise, tailor-made approach, knowledge of data protection and health law ability to adapt to customer needs.’
‘I work with Romain Perray and Lorraine Maisnier-Boche. I appreciate their expertise, their availability as well as the pragmatic and tailor-made approach they adopt.’
‘I work with Romain Perray who is very knowledgeable about his subject matter and his sector. In addition, his personal qualities make interactions pleasant.’
‘Romain Perray and his team have assisted us with various aspects of GDPR-related data privacy matters. The firm’s client service has been consistently good.’
‘Romain Perray is very specialised in data privacy matters and is very knowledgeable about recent developments and trends in his areas of expertise’
‘Mai Matsubara is a budding young lawyer with a good specialist knowledge of data privacy law, whose multi-lingual skills and understanding of our business are a particular asset for us.’
Nissan Motor Co & Nissan International
- Assisted Renault group with the implementation of its GDPR compliance program.
- Advising Rexair LLC in conducting a GDPR/CCPA Compliance Program for its US headquarters; conducting transfer impact assessments; drafting accountability and transparency documentation and other internal policies.
Norton Rose Fulbright‘s data and IT practice has been particularly busy conducting privacy impact assessments and legitimate interests assessments, including on solutions involving AI technologies. Health-related personal data has also become a focus for the team since the start of the pandemic. Head of the practice, Nadège Martin is ‘a great professional’ and has almost two decades of experience in information technology, outsourcing, and data protection.
Other key lawyers:
‘A high-quality team, responsive and very pleasant to work with.’
‘Nadège Martin is both a great professional and a great person.’
‘Great availability, very pragmatic and balanced approach, development of tools to tackle the subject (e.g. Schrems II).’
‘Priority-setting, openness, pedagogy.’
Axis Communications AB
- Advised Total on the data privacy aspects of its acquisition of Blue Point London Ltd, London’s largest electric vehicle charge points network from the Bolloré Group.
- Assisted a media agency group which has been the victim of a ransomware attack by Netwalker affecting US and French entities with the management of the data breach.
- Advising Axis Communications AB with regards to Citilog SAS’ compliance with applicable regulatory and data privacy requirements, in the context of the company’s sale of Citilog SAS.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons team handles data-related legal issues from both national and international clients, in connection with every aspect of French and European regulation on personal data and data privacy. Sarah Bailey ‘s ‘good leadership‘ of the dynamic and engaged team’ is noted by clients. Due to the firm’s sector focus on healthcare and life sciences, health data has become an important part of the practice, advising industry leaders such as Roche regarding their GDPR requirements. Eric Le Quellenec joined in April 2022 from Alain Bensoussan-Avocats Lexing.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good leadership from Sarah Bailey, dynamic and engaged team.’
‘Dedicated to client success, Anne Baudequin in particular inspires confidence.’
- Advising Roche France on complex projects involving the processing of health data and genetic data.
White & Case LLP specialises in bespoke privacy and cybersecurity policies, conducting audits and analysis of current policies and procedures, and offers board-level cyber risk management advisory services alongside GDPR compliance services. Bertrand Liard and Clara Hainsdorf are known to go above and beyond for their clients, anticipating their needs.
‘I have benefited from relevant and rapid advice. The team was very attentive which made it possible to lead to a deliverable that corresponded to our timeframe. The W&C firm also sets up very interesting webinars in the digital field in France and internationally, which I have had the pleasure of attending on several occasions.’
‘Very responsive team during calls for tenders, W&C (B.Liard and JP Picca) sets itself apart from other firms by their force of proposal. By fully understanding our needs, they are able to offer useful services that sometimes go beyond our requests without impacting the budget proposal. Their understanding of the operational reality of our organization is also appreciated.’
Agence Française de Développement
Crédit Agricole Group
- Assisting Facebook with pre-litigation and litigation matters affecting its social network activities outside the US.
- Acting as counsel for Frans Bonhomme, a specialist in plastic products in the fields of sanitation, building, irrigation and public works, on a number of data protection matters including on the preparation of legal documentation, and on data protection policies and procedures.
- Advising Saint-Gobain on the definition and implementation of its programme to become compliant with the GDPR and on follow-up actions since the programme has been in place.