EU and competition in Estonia
The highly experienced Raino Paron leads the practice at Ellex, which handles work across the competition field in matters including anti-competition (horizontal price fixing, cartels), merger control, and abuse of dominance on a pan-Baltic and international basis. The 'smart, diligent and hardworking' Martin Mäesalu is also praised for his work in private enforcement and state aid. Clients include Telia and the European Central Bank.
‘Highly competent and efficient to work with.’
Eesti Gaas AS
Tallink Grupp AS
- Advising AS Estonian Cell on lobbying the government for reduction of electricity and gas excise duty and renewable energy charges, in order to enhance the competitiveness of Estonian energy-intensive businesses.
- Representing Enefit Green and Nelja Energia in court proceedings after the acquisition of the latter by the former was challenged by two competitors.
- Advising the European Commission via Milieu on assessing compliance of Estonian legislation with EU directives.
Sorainen acts on a range of competition matters, including state aid, vertical and horizontal enforcement, abuse of dominance and public procurement. Clients are drawn from a range of industries, including energy, public utilities, transport, and construction, with Toyota Baltic a key name. The practice is led by 'true professional' Kaupo Lepasepp, a noted expert on dawn raids and tariff regulation, alongside Mihkel Miidla. Senior associate Piibe Lehtsaar is also highly recommended for her expertise in Estonian and European competition law, with experience filing merger control papers with the European Commission.
‘The team’s knowledge and experience of competition law matters is outstanding. The whole team is hard-working and innovative.’
Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority
RB Rail AS
- Representing Talinna Vesti in a damages suit against the Estonian Competition Authority.
- Advising RB Rail on competition considerations relating to the €5.8bn Rail Baltic project.
- Representing Nelja Energia in a €12m dispute relating to state aid concerns relating to a wind farm development auction.
Elo Tamm leads the practice at Cobalt, which handles a varied workload including merger control matters, state aid, abuse of dominance, and cartel cases. The team handled the competition aspects of the acquisition of Baltic Classifieds Group by Apax Funds, including filing merger control papers.
Risto Rüütel leads the practice at Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co, which is a popular choice for merger control cases, as well as a range of other competition matters. The team acts on state aid, merger disputes, and vertical agreement cases. In one highlight, Rüütel is representing a private healthcare organisation before the European Commission in a case relating to illegal state aid worth millions of euros, with potential impacts on healthcare funding rules across Europe. Other clients include Samsung and Eesti Keskkonnateenused.
Eesti Keskkonnateenused AS
Pharma Group OÜ
Leonhard Weiss Energy
MM Grupp OÜ
- Successfully represented AS Eesti Keskkonnateenused in opposing a merger between its competitor Ragn-Sells AS with one of the landfills in Estonia.
FORT works across all competition-related matters, with a particular focus on cross-border mergers, abuse of dominance in the media, telecoms, and energy sectors, and state aid matters. In recent work, it is acting for Samat in claiming the Estonian government's free public transport policy violates EU state aid laws. Practice head Rene Frolov has 'a great understanding of competition law'. Liina Käis is highly regarded for her work on abuse of dominance, state aid and private enforcement cases.
‘Deep and pragmatic understanding of Estonian regulatory requirements.‘
Estonian Renewable Energy Association
- Acting for Samat in arguing the Estonian government’s decision to offer free bus services constitutes illegal state aid under EU law.
- Successfully defended Alfons Hakans in an excessive pricing investigation by the Estonian Competition Authority.
Mari Matjus leads the team at NOVE, which handles state aid, supply arrangements and merger disputes. It has notable strength acting for clients in the construction, healthcare, and energy industries, as well as acting for public authorities. Associate Veiko Vaske is also highly recommended for his expertise in public procurement matters.
Tartu Ülikooli Kliinikum
Estonian Chamber of Notaries
Haapsalu Neurological Rehabilitation Centre
- Advising Medicum group on EU state aid and procurement in relation to planning issues and constructing a new healthcare centre, supported by EU structural funds.
- Advising Tallinna Hambapolikliinik on procurement and competition law matters.
The team at TARK specialises in contentious work, primarily cartel investigations, as well as assisting with regulatory compliance matters on a day-to-day basis as well as in M&A transactions. The team has a notable focus on the transport and logistics sector, assisting with cross-border merger planning and execution, and is also active for clients in the public sector. Tanel Tark leads the practice and stands out for his 'vast knowledge' of competition law.
Vienna Insurance Group
Baltic Logistic Solutions
- Advising Kesko Senukai on its acquisition of 1A.ee, a transaction approved in Estonia but still pending in Lithuania and Latvia.
- Advising Adven on various regulatory and competition matters.
The 'detail-oriented' Triinu Järviste leads the competition team at TGS Baltic, which works on a range of competition matters, including merger control proceedings, abuse of dominance, state aid representation and analysis, and restrictive practices. The team acts for a variety of clients in industries ranging from manufacturing and energy to transport, and the public sector. Highlights included representing Agriland in high-profile proceedings related to the anti-competitive misuse of EU agriculture subsidies. The 'exceptional' Katri Paas-Mohando has a core focus on anti-competitive practices and abuse of dominance.
‘In-depth knowledge of the legal area, including EU case law and legislative developments.’
Estonian Authors’ Society
Operail (formerly EVR Cargo)
Omniva (Estonian Post)
- Advised Circle K on state aid considerations.
- Representing the Estonian Authors’ Society before the Estonian Competition Authority in alleged abuse of dominance proceedings.
- Representing Agriland in a criminal case relating to anti-competitive use of EU agricultural subisidies.
RASK Attorneys-at-Law's caseload includes competition matters before the European and Estonian courts, ranging from cases relating to tax and state aid, to the recent Estonian pharmaceutical reform. Recent work includes representing City of Tallinn against a number of companies in a matter regarding the city's introduction of a sales tax. The practice is led by Tarmo Peterson, while former chief justice Märt Rask is also a notable member of the team. Other clients include Eesti Energia and Eesti Post.
Kihnu Veeteed AS
City of Tallinn
Triple Net Capital
TF Bank AB (Estonian Branch)
Eesti Energia AS
Lumi Capital OÜ
- Represented the City of Tallinn in tax dispute with leading trading companies.
- Represented SA Luunja Jõesadam EU in a dispute with the Estonian Agricultural Registers and Information Board.
Triniti Estonia has a strong record in state aid matters, advising several state-owned companies including Eesti Energia and Transpordi Varahaldus on a variety of state aid considerations, including disputes and day-to-day advice. The team also acts in private enforcement and vertical competition cases. The practice draws on the expertise of highly respected state-aid expert Tanel Kalaus, who leads the team alongside senior associate Sandor Elias.
OÜ Transpordi Varahaldus
- Acting for AS Utilitas Tallinn on state aid matters related to a renewable energy support scheme.
- Advising KredEx on state aid matters relating to a ruling by the Ministry of Finance.
- Advising Transpordi Varahaldus on day-to-day state aid matters.