Cobalt is noted for its expertise in complex disputes and litigation across the Baltics, with particular strength in business-related disputes. It often represents clients operating in sectors including competition, public procurement, energy, and banking, among others. Additionally, the team covers the full gamut of dispute resolution work, including litigation, arbitration, and alternative dispute resolution, and works alongside the insolvency practice and other teams to provide full coverage on all contentious legal matters. Practice head Jaanus Mody is an expert in insolvency, restructuring, and disputes. Senior associate and co-head of private client and administrative disputes Kadri Michelson is noted for her work representing clients in civil and administrative proceedings.
Dispute resolution in Estonia
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly professional approach and quick reaction to any problem.’
‘Strong cooperation, open communication, 100% trust.’
‘Right balance between knowledge of the matter and client’s needs and interests.’
‘They keep in touch with us and return shortly with feedback to our queries.’
‘Agile approach with a helicopter view.’
‘On top of everything.’
‘Proactive approach in finding/offering solutions.’
‘Good negotiating skills, knowledge of the industry.’
KJK Sports S.a.r.l.
Nordic Aviation Group
Olympic Entertainment Group
Port of Tallinn
Pro Kapital Grupp
Electrolux Appliances AB
Mammoet Europe B.V.
- Successfully advised Baltika in reorganisation proceedings and helped the company in a radical turnaround that prevented the permanent insolvency of one of the oldest and biggest retail companies in the Baltics.
- Acted for Gedeon Richter in the Supreme Court of Estonia achieving a 180-degree change of previous court practice that now enables generic pharmaceutical companies to get compensated for lost profit caused with unfounded preliminary injunctions.
- Represented Port of Tallinn as a defendant in civil court proceeding which could give rise to a legal precedent of expanding possibilities to avoid pacta sunt servanda principle, especially in regard to competition law arguments, if the court should agree with the claimant.
Ellex represents clients in landmark disputes and international arbitration matters, ranging from the UK to Luxembourg. Clients are active in the construction, commercial banking, shipping, and energy sectors and the team has also served as counsel to the Estonian government. Practice head Arne Ots is a highly experienced litigator, with particular focus on high-value corporate and civil disputes, as well as white-collar criminal law. He is also noted for his work in arbitration proceedings. Toomas Vaher handles domestic and international arbitration matters, as well as litigation. Senior associate Martin-Johannes Raude specialises in dispute resolution in the corporate sector. Senior associate Neve Uudelt departed to take up a position at the Tallinn Circuit Court in June 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Toomas Vaher; Martin-Johannes Raude
‘The efficiency in managing cases keeps the overall cost sometimes even significantly lower than the cost of the opposite party represented by lawyers with lower rates.’
‘I have worked mostly with partner Arne Ots and senior associate Martin-Johannes Raude. In Arne I value mostly his experience and pragmatic approach, Martin’s quick thinking, attention to detail and overall legal knowledge is remarkable.’
‘Excellent knowledge and skills in procedural law and representing the client in the court.’
Estonian Bar Association,
Telia Company AB
AS Tallink Grupp
Graanul Invest group
Marrone Bio Innovations
3i Group plc
ISS World Services A/S
Oiltanking Europe B.V
- Represented the Estonian Government in an investment arbitration claim brought by ELA USA Inc. under the bilateral investment protection treaty between Estonia and the United States in Permanent Court of Arbitration in Hague (international arbitration rules).
- Represented Enefit Green AS in the dispute where the Competition Authority’s authorisation for the client’s merger (concentration permit) with Estonia’s leading green energy company Nelja Energia AS has been challenged by a competitor.
- Represented Enefit Kaevandused AS in a civil dispute with oil shale oil producer VKG Oil AS claiming damage under oil shale sales contract on the argument that the contract price is excessive due to violation of the seller of its dominant market position and therefore in conflict with the Competition Act. The case is admitted to the Supreme Court’s review.
Sorainen focuses on international litigation, international arbitration, white-collar criminal defence, insolvency and restructuring disputes. It has represented clients before the European Court of Human Rights and the Court of Justice of the European Union and has also been involved in setting precedents in areas such as state liability and food safety. Carri Ginter heads the dispute resolution practice in the Baltics and has represented clients, including Estonian government ministries, in court; Allar Jõks focuses on major disputes between the Estonian state and individuals; head of the corporate crime investigations and defence team Norman Aas was promoted to partner in January 2021; senior associate Kadri Härginen leads the public procurement and public projects team, and has represented clients in major public and civil law cases. Three dispute resolution specialist associates joined the team in 2021, with Marcus Niin joining from the Tallinn Circuit Court in April, Rety Estorn joining from Ellex Raidla in March, and Ringo Heidmets joining from the Republic of Estonia Centre for Defence Investment in July.
Carri Ginter; Allar Jõks; Norman Aas; Kadri Härginen
Other key lawyers:
Ringo Heidmets; Marcus Niin; Rety Estorn
‘The practice has exceptional knowledge and understanding of the local (Baltics) dispute resolution systems as whole (legal, political and human aspects). They also communicate very well with the surrounding jurisdictions in cross border cases.’
‘Sorainen is a highly professional and innovative team which can be trusted to solve even the most complex legal problems. They work as true team-players and know how to build up the most cost-efficient and competent task-force for each unique assignment.’
‘Carri Ginter is known for his invaluable experience in legal disputes and out-of-the box strategies.‘
‘Their general sound commercial understanding, good value for money and a broad team. Quick responses.’
‘Carri Ginter is very focused on obtaining the result. He is sharp, and at the same time spends sufficient time to get to the core of the matter. He always delvers!‘
‘The Sorainen team understands the business, so it is easy to work with them. They are solution-oriented and they have a lot of experiences.‘
‘Very good communication skills, they always find time – willingness to start the day earlier if it is necessary.’
‘Carri Ginter consolidates the team and both keeps the strategic direction aligned, and comes up with nuggets in tactics that turn out to make the difference.‘
Tallinna Linnatranspordi AS
Estonian Ministry of Environment
Finnish National Emergency Supply Agency
- Advised Škoda in a public procurement conducted by state-owned Eesti Liinirongid for purchasing six trains with an additional option to buy ten more trains in the coming years.
- Represented Windoor in arbitration proceedings at the International Center for the Settlement of Investment Disputes in Washington, D.C., involving its claim against the Republic of Kazakhstan for €23m.
- Represented a legal person before the European Court of Human Rights in proceedings against the Republic of Estonia, concerning a breach of the right to proceedings within a reasonable time and a breach of the right to receive a fair and immediate compensation for expropriation.
TGS Baltic is known for its strengths in litigation, arbitration, and white-collar criminal defence. The team is especially regarded for its restructuring and insolvency disputes work, as well as disputes concerning major Estonian transportation and automotive industries. Its dispute resolution expertise extends to contracts, planning, trademarks, libel and regulatory work. In recent years, it has seen a shift towards transaction-related disputes for European clients. Paul Varul covers high-profile litigation and investment-related arbitration work. January 2021 saw a number of promotions, with highly experienced litigators Martti Peetsalu and Chirag Mody being both promoted to associate partner. Head of the white-collar disputes team Dmitri Teplõhh and litigator Kedli Anvelt were both promoted to counsel.
Paul Varul; Martti Peetsalu; Chirag Mody
Other key lawyers:
Dmitri Teplõhh; Kedli Anvelt
‘This team has consistently provided us with a great deal of experienced and knowledgeable legal advice on a top-notch level. It is able to navigate even through the most complex and challenging disputes with ease and achieve great results surpassing our expectations. In the field of local and international dispute resolution, they are indisputably the best place to go in Estonia.’
‘Being a well-renowned and extremely experienced legal scholar with a broad comparative outlook, Paul Varul guarantees the best possible understanding of the applicable law enabling him to design an efficient litigation strategy which will be really tailored to your needs.’
‘Chirag Mody has all you need to be a stellar litigator: exceptional acumen, knowledge, experience and winning mentality combined with impeccable language skills in order to give you exactly what you need. He is not only a great strategist, but knows the ins and outs of the Estonian code of civil procedural better than anyone else. Has he ever lost a case?’
‘Well-argued solutions, good team of professionals, and high standards in their work.’
‘They have a very good litigation experience, which helps to find solutions even in the most difficult situations. It has also created case law in complex disputes.’
‘They have a large team to cover all legal aspects of disputes.’
‘Excellent experts, especially in court dispute area (and in general dispute resolution) and in insolvency proceedings.’
‘Active new partners and very motivated team. Very strong in litigation and a reliable firm to use.’
‘Highly appreciate TGS Baltic team, who are trustworthy professionals with good attention to detail and have great communication and performance skills.’
Port of Tallinn
Rimi Eesti Food
Estonian official Anti-Doping Agencies
Trustee Andres Tootsman
- Represented Port of Tallinn against its former directors–Mr. Ain Kaljurand and Mr. Allan Kiil–a high-profile criminal case.
- Represented Estonian official Anti-Doping Agencies in anti-doping proceedings against the Estonian Olympic sportsman Mr Heiki Nabi (former World Champion and 2nd at 2012 Olympic Games).
- Represented SOE Operail in several high-profile cases over the legality of rail infrastructure fees with SOE Estonian Railways and Estonian authorities competent to determine the rail infrastructure fees (The Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority).
The litigation team at Eversheds Asianajotoimisto Oy / Eversheds Attorneys Ltd (a member of Eversheds Sutherland) is a popular choice for clients seeking representation regarding contract and financial services disputes, as well as environmental and real estate disputes and litigation. The group has a track record representing governmental agencies and both public and private sector clients, especially in the construction and major industrial sectors. Litigation and dispute team leader Raiko Lipstok is particularly strong in road construction-related arbitration proceedings, as well as contract and insurance disputes. Toomas Pikamäe focuses on disputes concerning environmental management systems, with niche sector expertise in waste handling disputes.
Raiko Lipstok; Toomas Pikamäe
‘The cooperation is smooth and advice is spot-on, fast and worth the spend. This all makes working with them a great pleasure.’
‘The Dispute Team we have worked with – Toomas Pikamäe and Raiko Lipstok are punctual, responsive and put your case in the right legal perspective, so, even when you have managed to mix things up, with them you still have a chance.’
‘Toomas Pikamäe is is an expert in administrative, environmental, tax law, also regulatory matters, criminal law. He is an excellent speaker at court always going strictly to the point and finding the weakest spots in the other party’s defence. He is proactive and precise, also an excellent writer.’
‘Raiko Lipstok: a very good lawyer, who is detailed and skilful, and also an excellent writer.’
‘Pleasant cooperation. Very fast response.’
‘Raiko Lipstok is fast, remembers deadlines, and a great speaker in court. If he thinks it’s probably a hopeless case, he says so. He never gives hope without it.’
‘Eversheds is very client-centric.’
‘Toomas Pikamäe from Eversheds is always thinking ahead for what the client may need and safeguarding potential problems. Also, he is excellent in explaining things without legalese to the client, able to work to client’s internal deadlines and delivers what he promises when he promises. Turnaround time is also excellent and he communicates with the client how the client wants and follows up on previous communications. I have never seen him upset at a verdict or at a client, he’s always in analysis-mode.’
Solaris Kino OÜ
The Estonian Agriculture and Food Board
VGFS Financial Services Estonia OÜ
KMG Inseneriehituse AS
Leonhard Weiss OÜ
Nexo Services OÜ, Nexo Capital Inc. and Credissimo EAD
Pro Kapital Eesti AS
Estonian Transport Administration
Estonian Aviation Academy
- Successfully represented a state authority in the court in a complex dispute concerning shutting down two operating fish processing factories due to public health reasons; the court refused to grant interim relief against such closedown.
- Successfully represented the two biggest electricity transmission builders in a public procurement dispute that was a landmark case in a question whether the author of the design was entitled to participate in the construction procurement, where the construction activities were to be carried out on the basis of the design that they had created.
- Represented the Estonian State in a dispute related to the various aspects of Estonian public transportation reform introducing free of charge bus lines in Estonia.
FORT is noted for high-stakes insolvency-related litigation, bankruptcy proceedings, and corporate reorganisations. The team is also experienced in representing clients in energy, environmental, and commercial real estate and construction disputes. Head of the disputes management team Andreas Veeret focuses primarily on commercial litigation and arbitration. Merit Lind represents clients in the aviation, construction, and IT industries in public and private law disputes. Counsel Katrin Alliksaar is noted for her work representing clients on the legality of the use of EU funds. Associate and commercial litigator Tõnis Loorits joined from Sirel & Partners in June 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Merit Lind; Katrin Alliksaar; Tõnis Loortis
‘Very few law firms in Estonia are as strong as Fort in both civil and administrative disputes – our business model requires both.’
‘Andreas Veeret is their star in the dispute area. Most hard-working and diligent litigator I have ever met.’
‘I have found FORT Legal to be very good communicators with us. They are also extensively competent in each of their areas of expertise and work together in cases where different areas of expertise are needed.’
‘I enjoy friendly communication and professional approach of each of the individuals I have had the pleasure to work with on my questions.’
‘Fort team is very responsive and always supportive. Their professionalism has helped us a lot in dispute handling – wording the documents, and representing us.’
Phoenix Group Estonian companies
Estonian Police and Border Guard Board
East Capital Real Estate
Nordea Bank Abp Estonian branch
Eesti Taastuvenergia Koda (Estonian Renewable Energy Association)
- Represented Estonian Police and Border Guard Board in several court proceedings against one of the world’s largest security solutions providers regarding the Estonian ID-card crisis (ROCA vulnerability and ensuing issues).
- Represented Crowdestate (a real estate oriented crowdfunding platform) in several bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representing Front Finance in court proceedings against a debtor and in related bankruptcy proceedings.
LEADELL Pilv is known for its work in dispute resolution and in arbitration proceedings, as well as having a strong presence in white-collar litigation and representing clients before the Supreme Court of Estonia. Managing partner Aivar Pilv is a key resource for litigation work regarding complex cases, as well as alternative dispute resolution. He jointly leads the team with Pirkka-Marja Põldvere, who specialises in complex cross-border disputes involving corporate matters, insolence proceedings, real estate, and mining permits. Additionally, Marko Pilv is a notable white-collar criminal law defence attorney and Anneli Aab focuses on IT and IP dispute resolution. Associate Jaanus Stern joined in July 2021 from Greinoman & Co and specialises in court-related disputes.
Aivar Pilv; Pirkka-Marja Põldvere
Other key lawyers:
Marko Pilv; Anneli Aab
‘The service is always very operative (24/7), regardless of the day of the week and time. Attorneys are always there for the client. The fees are reasonable and more favorable than with different law firms of the same level. Billing is flexible and taking into account the customer’s capabilities.’
‘The coronavirus period is characterized by very flexible and smooth contact with customers through various technical solutions. The reception of clients in the law office is always very polite and pleasant even by the assistants.’
‘Attorney-at-law Aivar Pilv is a very good professional – quick and very analytical, always explaining all the different possibilities to the client. Very well and thoroughly prepared in court – very good argumentation skills, specific and factual views.
‘Very good experience and contact Marko Pilv and Anneli Aab.’
‘They have a small but very professional team that is able to provide a high quality service but at the same time manage a close and open relationship with clients. They are flexible and have a good collaboration with other law firms.’
‘Aivar and Marko Pilv: Their exceptional knowledge is well known and respected in Estonian legal communities.’
‘Pirkka-Marja Põldvere is very focused and always available for us. Always prepared very well.’
‘Easy to work with, highly professional, concentrated approach.’
Enefit Power AS and Enefit Solutions AS
AS Saaremaa Laevakompanii and Mr Vjatšeslav Leedo
Agal Kinnisvarad OÜ
Zircon Group OÜ
E.E.R Kaevetööd OÜ
- Defended Enefit Solutions AS in a civil case where a former employee claimed compensation for alleged damages caused by a working accident. The case is currently being discussed by The Supreme Court of Estonia.
- Represented AS Saaremaa Laevakompanii in 9 different civil disputes, including the client and OÜ Väinamere Liinid’s claims for damages against stock exchange company’s AS Tallinna Sadam two subsidiaries.
- Defended a private client in a criminal proceeding, where they were accused of giving bribes to the mayor of Tallinn City.
LEVIN deals primarily in multijurisdictional dispute resolution, complex commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defence, arbitration, and administrative court proceedings, both in Estonia and foreign courts. Its clients operate in the transport, energy, media, tech, and sports sectors. Practice head Paul Keres is a highly regarded white-collar criminal litigator and arbitrator.
‘Levin Team in Tallinn is capable and efficient. The people make the difference here. They can handle the needs of international business at the highest levels.’
‘Paul Keres is deeply knowledgeable and with gifted insight. He grasps civil law, common law and international law. His expertise is palpable. Efficient, strategic, and fair. He grasps the essential issues and provides sound advice. The person to seek out to get your job done.’
‘Levin Law are efficient, well respected in their fields and live up to their strong reputation in the market.’
‘I’ve primarily worked with Paul Keres. Paul combines excellent legal knowledge with commercial awareness and certainly understands the wider picture of the bigger cases. After working with him recently on a large cross-border litigation, he is now my go to lawyer in Estonia.’
Ministry of Justice
Estonian Autosport Union
Kredex Krediidikindlustuse AS
AS Saarte Liinid
Pastimes Grupp AS
Larsen Real Estate Development
- Acted for an Estonian manufacturer of pre-fabricated houses in an arbitration dispute with a Swedish developer of residential housing.
- Acted for the Ministry of Justice in a landmark constitutional review case with respect to the second pillar pension reform.
- Advised joined liquidators of a Caribbean entity in the recovery of the entity’s assets to Estonia.
The team at NOVE is noted for its expertise in complex business litigation proceedings before all levels of Estonian courts, as well as international arbitration and administrative law-related disputes. Litigation specialist and co-head Veikko Puolakainen often represents financial institutions and energy groups, while co-head Arsi Pavelts is particularly strong representing clients before the Supreme Court of Estonia.
Veikko Puolakainen; Arsi Pavelts
‘Nove is unique in a sense that it really focuses mainly on dispute resolution and mediation matters. Partners are very hands on and personally invested in advising the clients of the firm.’
‘Veiko Puolakainen is a very experienced litigator, who tries to find solutions rather than just processing the dispute for the same of process. He understands the business needs of the clients, which is essential when elaborating the cost-benefit ratio of a dispute case.’
‘The Nove team perfectly combines theoretical knowledge with practical skills.’
Political Parties Financing Surveillance Committee
Estonian Land Department
Ministry of Culture
IF P&C Insurance
SEBE AS (Member of Mootor Group)
Circle K Eesti AS
Estonian Qualification Authority
Kinnisvara Valduse AS (Rimi Food Estonia)
Danpower Eesti AS (member of Danpower Group)
- Successfully represented the Estonian Land Board regarding the possibility of forming an independent cadastral unit in a public water body (the Baltic Sea).
- Successfully represented Bailiff Elin Vilippus in a dispute regarding the liability of a bailiff.
- Successfully represented Compensa Vienna Insurance Group, ADB Estonian branch in a dispute regarding the practice of implementing waste, construction and fire safety and insurance contract law.
WALLESS (former Derling Primus)
WALLESS is particularly strong in representing clients in white-collar criminal law defence, cross-border corporate disputes, and environmental issues involving major infrastructure projects. The team is also well versed in complicated public procurement disputes and litigation related to IT, pharmacies and state aid. Practice head Erki Kergandberg focuses on white-collar defence, including allegations of insider trading and competition infringement. Elmer Muna is noted for his work in cross-border litigation proceedings.
Erki Kergandberg; Elmer Muna
‘Walless has been successful in many outstanding cases where public interest has been against the state position.’
N.R. Energy OÜ
Neuralink Group OÜ
OY Mekanex AB
AmEst Invest OÜ
GreenGas OÜ’s shareholders
Expert Eesti OÜ
Sumar Tools OÜ
Liwathon E.O.S AS
Salva Kindlustus AS
- Representing a well-known Estonian entrepreneur who is suspected of corruption and criminal offenses related to real estate development Porto Franco OÜ.
- Representing a CEO of several companies, who has been accused by the Estonian and Finnish authorities of the illegal transboundary shipment of waste (waste oil and construction waste).
LEXTAL represents clients in M&A disputes, as well as complex banking and finance litigation across the Baltics. It also is strong in white-collar criminal law and major criminal defence work, and representing clients in the insurance industry. Practice head Magnus Braun specialises in fraud and insolvency litigation, while Oliver Nääs is recommended for white collar crime defence.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very professional and experienced.’
‘Extraordinary and with high value what they do.’
Logitrans Consult OÜ
Richter Gedeon Vegyeszeti Gyar Reszvenytarsasag
OÜ Alex Stewart Inspection Estonia
AS Saaremaa Laevakompanii
- Represented Logitrans Consult successfully in the second court instance in the case of the precedent-setting litigation on the application of the CMR Convention.
- Represented an insurance company AB “Lietuvos draudimas” Estonian branch, in several, complex, some of which are concerning insurance fraud.
With offices in the Nordics and the Baltics, Magnusson is particularly experienced in advising both local and international clients on complex cross-border disputes, as well as commercial arbitration cases. Its recent work includes representing investors in high-value fraudulent crowdfunding cases and disputes concerning public procurements. Practice co-head Denis Piskunov specialises in international commercial disputes and arbitration, while co-head Kaidar Sultson focuses on disputes related to real estate, financing, and restructuring and insolvency. Associate Marek Keiman deals primarily with civil proceedings relating to commercial and transport disputes.
Denis Piskunov; Kaidar Sultson
Other key lawyers:
‘Team is dependable, trustworthy and reachable. We have worked together with Magnusson for a long enough time to understand that we work well with the team and are comfortable to reach out to them with certainty that we will receive quality services.’
‘Magnusson’s expertise stands out in the Estonian market as they work between multiple jurisdictions and therefore have good international experience.’
‘Partner Denis Piskunov is reliable, thorough, and we cooperate well with him. We are very satisfied with his efforts and we recognise that he is supported by a good team of associates, such as Marek Keiman who has also efficiently assisted Denis with our matters.’
‘Magnusson stands out in the market for top level legal service and professional communication. Working with them you can be sure to have high-level partner attention and capable associates at your disposal. They are good in corporate, commercial and dispute resolution matters.’
‘Would recommend partner Kaidar Sultson as an expert on restructuring and insolvency – experienced, recognized on the market and trustworthy. Partner Denis Piskunov for anything related to crowdfunding or investment frauds – a dedicated professional that will go the extra mile and will deliver.’
‘We have trusted Magnusson with various matters for a long time – the team at Magnusson are known for catering to multiple industries and sectors, and they have certainly helped us with everyday issues as well as larger matters needing more attention. They have always provided us with legal aid specifically suited to our needs, specifically taking into account our business area.’
‘We highly recommend Magnusson partner Denis Piskunov, who leads the dispute resolution team at Magnusson and has a considerable track record of dealing with disputes in many different business areas’
‘As a bankruptcy trustee, I consult Magnusson experts in case of more complicated bankruptcy proceedings. Also, I trust and turn to them when representation in The Supreme Court of Estonia is needed. The dispute resolution team of the firm has proven to be highly professional and dedicated over the years. Having had considerable experience, they are sharp on every single detail, and you can be sure nothing of importance is overlooked.’
‘As far as insolvency law is concerned, partner Kaidar Sultson is most definitely the go-to-lawyer in Estonia. It’s Kaidar’s exceptional blend of professionalism, experience and personality that makes him stand out in the market.’
Envst United Action
KTZL Action Group
MNTHR Action Group
Leonhard Weiss Group
- Acted for Empower AS and Leonhard Weiss OÜ in a case concerning transfer of ownership and the right to deconstruct decommissioned power lines.
- Represented over 3,000 local and international investors in class action bankruptcy and criminal proceedings pursuant to large-scale crowdfunding fraud in the Baltics.
- Represented Petramark OÜ in a dispute regarding the invalidation of the sale of a luxury hotel in Tallinn Old Town.
NJORD Law Firm specialises in insurance, real estate, and construction disputes; however, it also represents clients in employment-related litigation. In recent years it has seen growth in white-collar and insurance-related litigation. Practice head Triinu Hiob deals with international arbitration and M&A-related cross-border disputes. Associate and dispute resolution expert Gerda Raag joined the team from FORT in January 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Gerda Raag; Katrin Sarap
‘NJORD is extremely fast and communicative with us.’
‘Katrin Sarap is extremely objective, understands our needs and ideas, points out clearly the possibilities to move forward and responds quickly.’
‘NJORD’s team is led by Triinu Hiob who is an extraordinary attorney with remarkable expertise in the fields of insurance and arbitration.’
‘Very understanding firm in a market (Estonia) where it is not easy to find a highly skilled firm of international competence.’
‘Triinu Hiob is an experienced litigator with a sense for the ultimate business goal, not only the litigation / arbitration target, that the clients are pursuing. Wonderful team player and very sensitive to cultural differences. Always a pleasure to work with.’
‘Triinu Hiob is an exceptionally collegial lawyer with great knowledge of the law and ability to communicate all key points in a concise and to-the-point manner.’
ERGO Insurance SE
Pärnu City Government
EBS Campus OÜ
Dr Verner Fogel
Inchcape Motors AS
Estonian Insurance Association
- Represented Pärnu City Government in a court dispute regarding the liability of a guardian appointed to an adult person with limited legal capacity.
- Represented ERGO Insurance SE in the Supreme Court in a precedential case about the liability of apartment owners and of an apartment association.
- Protecting a client’s rights in data protection-related proceedings.
RASK is noted for its expertise representing clients in disputes regarding alleged financial crimes, corruption, and international corporate and tax disputes. Niche dispute resolution work also involves the aviation, healthcare, and pharmaceutical industries. Tarmo Peterson leads the civil disputes team and handles complex litigation and insolvency disputes. Criminal proceedings team co-head Ramon Rask specialises in complex arbitration cases, while administrative disputes team leader Villy Lopman often represents clients before the Supreme Court. Andrei Svištš was promoted to co-head the criminal proceedings team in early 2021. Marit Martens offers further expertise in competition law disputes.
Tarmo Peterson; Ramon Rask; Villy Lopman
Other key lawyers:
Andrei Svištš; Marit Martens
‘he team consists exclusively of highly competent, friendly and skilfully selected people with excellent communication skills, with whom it is always pleasant to communicate.’
‘RASK offers high-quality, high-level competent legal services. They are a reliable partner that gives the client an assurance they need.’
‘The whole team stands out with its efficiency and the desire to achieve the best possible result for the client, taking into account the reality as well as all the necessary circumstances.’
‘Tarmo Peterson is truly an expert in civil disputes regarding damages.’
Bone Invest OÜ
Põltsamaa Uus Apteek OÜ
Renum Invest OÜ
Hiiu Ravikeskus SA
Nordlin Ehitus OÜ
TARK has a reputation for handling shareholder and employment-related disputes, bankruptcy and white-collar criminal law defence, and public procurement and public funding disputes across the Baltics. Particular strengths are in the entertainment, financial services and retail sectors, where it is particularly sought out by EU and Asian-based corporates. Aare Tark is a highly experienced litigation lawyer, having represented the government of Estonia in civil disputes both as representative and arbitrator. Tauno Tark is head of the disputes team, and focuses on corporate and commercial litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Quick reaction, always available. People really helpful and active.’
‘Tauno Tark is very professional and easy to work with. Always finds solutions quickly and I feel I am in good hands.’
Estonian Railways Ltd
Ministry of Education and Research (Republic of Estonia)
Olympic Entertainment Group
Solaris Bus & Coach sp. z o.o.
Riigi Kinnisvara AS
- Represented Estonian Railways ltd (Eesti Raudtee AS) in a dispute regarding alleged damages of €1.3m.
- Represented the Ministry of Education and Research (Republic of Estonia) in a dispute regarding principles of school and local government funding in Estonia.
- Represented Riigi Kinnisvara AS in various disputes.
The dispute resolution team at Triniti Estonia covers a wide range of civil, administrative, misdemeanour, and criminal disputes. It is known for its work in cross-border and high-value IP and TMT disputes and litigation, as well as state aid, public procurement, and corporate disputes. The group is also noted for its expertise in alternative dispute resolution, namely adjudication and mediation. Team leader Tanel Kalaus is an experienced arbitration specialist, particularly regarding EU law and competition law, and has represented clients in the energy and pharmaceutical sectors.
‘Tanel Kalaus has super expertise and experience on administrative law and court procedures.’
c.v. SNB REACT u.a.
Estonian Performers Association (EEL)
Aktsiaselts Pärnu REV
Rostyslav Polishchuk, Mykola Ishchenko, Tulundusühistu Loreta, Hobulane OÜ
Ministry of Justice of Estonia
All Media Eesti AS
Tallinna Vesi AS
Tallinna Sadam AS
OÜ Transpordi Varahaldus
- Represented c.v. SNB REACT u.a. in a landmark counterfeit goods case which has been through the Estonian Supreme Court (multiple times) and the European Court of Justice.
- Represented Transpordi Varahaldus OÜ in a €1.5m civil court case (damages action) by the former employees of AS Estonian Air (the Estonian national air carrier, now in bankruptcy) on the basis of an alleged transfer of business (enterprise) from AS Estonian Air to the client.
- Represented AS Tallinna Sadam in a €15m civil court case (damages action) by Tallink Grupp AS on the basis of the alleged abuse of dominant position by the client (use of unfairly high prices for the harbour services for passenger ships).
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ represents international clients in white-collar crime defence, tax disputes, and public procurement litigation. It historically has also represented clients in real estate, constitutional, and restructuring-related disputes. Commercial litigator and practice co-head Indrek Leppik and public law team leader Indrek Kukk specialise in complex arbitration for international clients. Practice co-head and tax litigation team leader Priit Lätt also covers IT/IP disputes.
Idrek Leppik; Priit Lätt
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent knowledge and argumentation skills in the dispute areas, great negotiators and help in drawing up specific contract clauses.’
‘PwC Legal’s dispute resolution practice is very different from other law firms due to its interdisciplinary and strategic approach, combining the best knowledge and practice from different areas of law and other service lines. Such an approach is a prerequisite for solving even the most complex legal matters.’
‘Indrek Kukk has extensive experience in resolving disputes concerning both public law and civil law. Such diverse experience is particularly valuable in matters of state liability. Thanks to his experience in various areas of law, Indrek helped us resolve a complex legal dispute related to tax law and insolvency law.’
Aktsiaselts Eesti Raudtee
Bank Saint Petersburg
AS Go Group
AS Lääne-Tallinna Keskhaigla
Väinamere Liinid OÜ
OÜ Astlanda Ehitus
Gemalto AG (Thales Group)
- Represented Gemalto AG (now part of Thales Group) in a dispute with the Police and Border Guard Board over a potential security vulnerability identified in the electronic identity cards produced by Gemalto.
- Successfully represented a private client in a high profile white-collar crime case
- Represented Väinamere Liinid in a state liability case against the Estonian Government with a claim of €2m.