Dispute resolution in Estonia
Jaanus Mody heads the practice at Cobalt, which specialises in business-related disputes in areas such as public procurement, energy, and banking. The team is also instructed on a number of public-sector mandates. Kadri Michelson is praised for her expertise in civil and administrative disputes. Clients include Luminor, Port of Tallinn and the European Commission. Mody is defending Olympic Entertainment Group against a €24m claim initiated by its former minority shareholders following its de-listing from Nasdaq, Tallinn.
City of Tallinn
Nordic Aviation Group
Olympic Entertainment Group
Port of Tallinn
- Defending Olympic Entertainment Group against a claim brought by its former minority shareholders.
- Successfully represented Port of Tallinn in a dispute with Vesta Terminal Tallinn OÜ.
- Acted for UEFA in a dispute between Eesti Meedia (now Postimees Grupp) and the Estonian Competition Authority.
Arne Ots leads the experienced practice at Ellex, which works across a variety of disputes in several fields. The group has a notable strength in arbitration, a less common procedure in Estonia. Clients include governmental bodies, businesses, and private individuals, with the team representing in shareholder disputes, construction claims, and criminal defence cases. Anton Sigal and Toomas Vaher are acting for the Estonian government in an investment arbitration over a €150m claim by ELA USA concerning the use of the historic Seaplane Harbour in Tallinn. Senior associate Martin-Johannes Raude is also noted.
‘Very professionable, knowledgeable and pays utmost attention to details. They are also exceptionally thorough, efficient and always available.’
Farmi Piimatööstus AS
Telia Eesti AS
Eesti Energia AS
Enefit Green AS
LHV Pank AS
Maag Grupp AS
BLRT Grupp AS
Pärnu Haigla SA
Orkla Eesti AS
Seesam Insurance AS
- Representing the Estonian government in an investment arbitration claim brought by ELA USA Inc., a company controlled by Mr. Alexander Rotko, under the bilateral investment treaty between Estonia and the US
- Acting for Enefit Green AS and Nelja Energia AS in an administrative case where the Competition Authority’s authorisation for the client’s merger has been challenged.
- Defending one of the defendants in the prominent corruption case regarding former managers of AS Tallinna Sadam, the biggest state-owned port operator in Estonia.
Glikman Alvin LEVIN
Leon Glikman leads the dispute resolution practice at Glikman Alvin LEVIN, which handles a varied caseload, ranging from media and banking, to technology and transportation disputes, including defamation, asset recovery, and fraud. 'Exceptional advocate' Paul Keres and the 'dependable' Ain Alvin are noted for their expertise in multi-jurisdictional litigation and arbitration cases, while senior associate Artur Sanglepp specialises in written advocacy. Keres is active for the Estonian branch of Danske Bank in recovering over €10m of loans issued to the bankrupt oil terminal operator Scantrans, acting in several enforcement proceedings.
‘A team of sharp minds that contrast with each other well, with an outstanding all round performance.’
Danske Bank A/S
Metro Baltic Horizons
Kredex Krediidikindlustuse AS
AS Saarte Liinid
Maxima Eesti AS
- Acting for Danske Bank in recovering loans issued to the bankrupt oil terminal operator Scantrans. The quantum of claims exceeds €10m and includes acting for the bank in several enforcement and court proceedings.
- Acting for Mr. Iraj Zand in pursuing claims against a leading Estonian TV broadcaster regarding alleged slanderous claims made against his character.
- Representing Merko Ehitus and its largest owner Toomas Annus in a corruption case relating to bribery and release of insider market information.
The team at Sorainen is led by the 'excellent and proactive' Carri Ginter and former Estonian Chancellor of Justice Allar Jõks, a specialist in governmental and constitutional law. Former secretary general of the Ministry of Justice Norman Aas has joined the firm, further expanding the team's expertise in corporate criminal law and corruption cases. The group acts for corporate clients active in the insurance, financial, and manufacturing industries, while the firm also represents public authorities. Ginter is representing the Daxin group in a $37m dispute regarding abuse of position by the previous managing board.
Lääne-Viru Waste Centre
Neste Eesti AS
- Representing Krässik OÜ and other fuel trading sector companies of Daxin group in complex legal proceedings related to the abuse of position by the previous management board.
- Representing Windoor AS in a €23m dispute with the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Successfully represented Neste Eesti in a debt claim dispute with GT Kaubandus and a member of the management board who gave personally security to the debt.
TGS Baltic provides 'priceless strategic and legal advice' on complex multi-jurisdictional disputes, aided by the experience of practice head Paul Varul. The firm has a particular strength in white-collar crime proceedings, having represented clients in several recent high-profile cases, including the Port of Tallinn and Edgar Sarvisaar corruption trials. Other key names include construction and real estate specialist Martin Tamme, who is 'an exceptional lawyer who sees solutions in the most difficult situations', and 'uniquely talented' senior associate Kedli Anvelt. Clients include Credit Suisse, Operall and Swedbank Estonia.
‘In our longstanding relationship they have given priceless strategic and legal advice on multiple legal matters.‘
‘A standout litigation and insolvency firm. The lawyers are able to find innovative solutions.’
Dreymoor Fertilizers Overseas Pte Ltd.
Port of Tallinn
First Telecom Trading
Mr. Marcel Vichmann
North Estonia Medical Centre
TTS Marine AB
- Representing Credit Suisse in a high-profile shipping dispute with one of the biggest shippers in the Caspian region, the Palmali group of companies.
- Representing Dreymoor Fertilizers Overseas Pte Ltd. against the Estonian branch of Danske bank regarding alleged money laundering.
- Representing Operail in negotiations over rail infrastructure fees with SOE Estonian Railways.
Boutique firm ALTERNA represents a range of corporate clients in disputes, particularly in the fields of construction and public procurement. The practice is led by the 'fast and efficient' Siret Siilbek, a specialist in construction, planning, and restructuring, among other areas of dispute resolution. Siilbek represented Eventus Ehitus in a dispute with subcontractors over the condition of Pärnu beach stadium. Other clients include the City of Narva and Baltic Restaurants.
‘Excellent knowledge and quick solutions.’
‘Their work is always of high quality, even in tight time frames.‘
‘Expansive knowledge and experience. They are very accessible and a real pleasure to work with.‘
Eventus Ehitus OÜ
Baltic Restaurants Estonia AS
Eesti Kinnisvara Korrashoiu Liit MTÜ
KRM Advisor OÜ
AR Agentuuri AS
Uuesalu Arendus OÜ
Paenurme Arendus OÜ
RF Invest OÜ
Deco House OÜ
DK Konsultatsioonid OÜ
E-Riigi Akadeemia Sihtasutus
- Representing Eventus Ehitus OÜ in a dispute with Pärnu City regarding the deficiencies of Pärnu beach stadium, built by the client’s subcontractors.
- Advising Eesti E-Riigi Akadeemia on 25 public procurement procedures in the IT sector.
- Representing Baltic Restaurants in a public procurement dispute.
Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co has particular strength in construction disputes and public procurement cases, thanks to the expertise of practice heads Raiko Lipstok and 'legal expert' Toomas Pikamäe. Recent work includes representing clients in cases relating to contracting disputes, misappropriation of funds. and fraud. Clients include the City of Tallinn and the Estonian Aviation Academy; the firm is acting for the latter in a dispute relating to fraud committed by a contractor.
Estonian Aviation Academy
TREV-2 Group AS
Environmental Investment Centre
AS Eesti Keskkonnateenused
- Representing Conex in a dispute regarding the termination of a construction contract worth €700,000.
- Representing the Estonian Aviation Authority in fraud proceedings against a contractor.
- Representing the Environmental Investment Centre in a dispute regarding misappropriation of a grant award by the client to AS Ragn-Sells.
FORT has a core focus on commercial real estate, bankruptcy and environmental disputes, and acts for clients including Phoenix Group, AB Group and Nordea Bank. The practice is led by commercial litigation and arbitration specialist Andreas Veeret, alongside administrative lawyer Jaana Nõgisto. While the firm has a corporate focus, it is also instructed on work involving the public sector, including representing Samat in a dispute with Harju County Public Transport regarding the legality of the Estonian Department of Transport's introduction of free public transport.
Phoenix Group Estonian companies
Loading Systems International BV
Ministry of Environment of Estonia and Estonian Environment Agency
Estonian Renewable Energy Association
Eesti Euroinfo Ühing
- Representing Crowdestate in disputes against borrowers, including insolvency proceedings.
- Representing Estonian Environment Agency in a series of complex disputes against several contractors regarding the design and build of Estonia’s only hazardous waste management facility.
- Representing Samat in a dispute with Harju County Public Transport Centre resulting from the free public transport system enacted by regulations of the Estonian Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications and the Road Administration.
LEADELL Pilv has a strong track record handling white-collar criminal defence cases, where it is sought out by several high-profile clients of significant public interest. Practice co-head Aivar Pilv is recognised as one of Estonia's top disputes lawyers, and is 'an outstanding performer in court' who is active in civil, administrative, and criminal law cases. Fellow co-head Pirkka-Marja Põldvere is also well-regarded across the disputes field. The firm has defended multiple individuals accused of corruption, most notably Alexander Kofkin, implicated in the bribery allegations against former Tallinn Mayor Edgar Savisaar.
‘The team is professional, with great experience in the legal and court system.’
Mr Karl Liivapuu
Mr Allan Kiil
Mr Alexander Kofkin
Enefit Kaevandused AS
AS Saaremaa Laevakompanii and Mr Vjatšeslav Leedo
Newco Safety Technologies GmbH
Mr Artjom Suvorov
Mr Leonid Dulub
- Defending AS Saarek and a member of its management board in a criminal case concerning alleged tax fraud.
- Defending Mr Allan Kiil against allegations of bribery.
- Defending Mr Alexander Kofkin against allegations of offering a bribe to former Tallinn mayor Edgar Savisaar.
NOVE's business litigation-focused practice represents industrial clients in a range of high-value disputes against public authorities. It has core experience in disputes related to construction, competition, and public procurement. Clients include financial service providers, entertainment services organisations, and construction companies. The practice is led by Arsi Pavelts and Veikko Puolakainen; the latter represented Sebe in a public procurement case valued at €21m, followed by a €1.5m claim against the Republic of Estonia.
Nasdaq Tallinn AS
OÜ Europark Estonia
Reparo Ehitus OÜ
PKM Grupp OÜ
Lewis Machine & Tool Company
GE Grid Solutions (UK) Limited
- Successfully represented Nasdaq Tallinn AS in its dispute with Olympic Entertainment Group AS.
- Successfully represented bus company Sebe AS in a public procurement litigation case related to the procurement organised by MTÜ Harjumaa Ühistranspordikeskus, and in an ensuing financial claim against the Republic of Estonia.
- Successfully acted for Europark Estonia OÜ in a dispute with the Republic of Estonia.
WALLESS (former Derling Primus)
WALLESS (former Derling Primus) has a broad and strong disputes offering, representing clients in corporate, tax, public procurement, and environmental disputes, which is a notable strength of the firm. The team is led by Erki Kergandberg and Elmer Muna, who focus on white-collar disputes and commercial litigation, respectively, while Piret Blankin has expertise in construction and environmental matters. In high-profile work, the group is representing Danske Bank in the ongoing money-laundering investigation, liaising with local and international authorities alongside creating impact assessments for existing evidence. Swedbank and the Estonian Centre Party are also among its clients.
Keskerakond (Estonian Centre Party)
Estonia Ohvrite ja Nende
Stiftelsen Estoniaoffren och Anhöriga
Raisner/ Adepte Group
Police and Border Guard Board
- Representing Danske Bank in an ongoing investigation into money laundering, including liaising with local authorities and conducting impact assessments.
- Defending Estonian Centre Party against allegations of illegal donations.
- Represented Swedbank in two different disputes with investors regarding the bankruptcy of the issuer of bonds.
KPMG Law in Estonia
The team at Advokaadibüroo KPMG Law acts across a variety of disputes, with a particular strength in construction and public procurement work, Ksenia Kravtšenko is the key name. Testament to its strength in public procurement, it is acting for four out nine of Estonia's regional public transport centres in public procurement proceedings. Other clients include forestry and construction companies. Since publication, Risto Agur left to establish LUMILEX and Kristina Laarmaa left to found Laarmaa Attorneys-at-Law.
OÜ Kekkilä Eesti
Aktsiaselts MV Kaubad
Akko Wood OÜ
North Estonia Public Transportation Centre
Pärnumaa Public Transportation Centre
Valgamaa Public Transportation Centre
Tallinna Linnatranspordi AS
Kirde Projekt OÜ
Kirde Ehitus OÜ
Narva-Jõesuu City Government
- Acted for North Estonia Public Transportation Centre in conducting the entire public procurement procedure for bus transportation in the region, with a total procurement value of €20m, successfully representing the client in four separate disputes with carriers that were finally resolved by the Supreme Court.
- Representing Kirde Ehitus in public procurement proceedings for the construction of a childcare facility with a total value of €490,000.
Magnus Braun and insurance specialist Olavi-Jüri Luik lead the practice at LEXTAL, which focuses on white-collar crime and bankruptcy matters, as well as disputes in a variety of industries, particularly construction. The team represented Zurvanic Futures in a European Union-first ICO-related litigation case with significant cross-border elements, in a claim valued at €6m.
Compensa Vienna Insurance Group, ADB Eesti filiaal
Logitrans Consult OU
Metropoli Ehitus OÜ
OÜ Polven Foods
AAS BTA Baltic
Metropoli Ehitus OÜ
OÜ Johnny H.W.
- Represented Zurvanic Futures in a European Union-first ICO-related litigation case.
- Representing OÜ Bauschmid in a court dispute with AS Baumost regarding the exclusion of an immovable from its bankruptcy estate.
- Representing Edgar Savisaar in criminal proceedings; the client was acquitted due to health reasons.
LINKLaw acts for clients in disputes across a range of industries, with a particular specialism in energy, construction, public procurement, and competition disputes, notably representing Baltics-wide bakery company Eesti Pagar in a state aid dispute with Enterprise Estonia and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications. Construction and planning specialist Veiko Viisileht leads the practice alongside Triin Biesinger, who focuses on administrative court procedures, especially environmental law matters.
VKG Kaevandused OÜ
Eesti Raudtee AS (Estonian Railway)
CITADELE LEASING & FACTORING OÜ
Arkaadia Halduse AS
OÜ Järve Biopuhastus
Kohila Vineer OÜ
Eesti Pagar AS
Coop Eesti Keskühistu
Kaitseministeerium (Ministry of Defence)
Tomra Service OÜ
SA Tuletorn Fond
- Representing Eesti Pagar in an administrative case against Enterprise Estonia and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communication in a state aid matter.
Magnusson brings its cross-border capabilities to bear in a range of multi-jurisdictional litigation and arbitration matters, with cases in the transport, technology, and construction industries, alongside insolvency and public procurement disputes. The 'proactive' and 'creative' Denis Piskunov and 'great tactician' Kaidar Sultson lead the team, which is praised for its 'synergy' and ability to 'handle complex issues with ease'. Sultson represented Petramark in a dispute regarding the invalidation of the disposal of a luxury hotel in Tallinn Old Town valued at €7.2m, securing a favourable judgement from the Supreme Court.
‘Magnusson’s dispute resolution team excels at cases that have an international scope. Their presence in all the countries around the Baltic Sea enhances the team’s capacity to solve problems that require assessment of multiple jurisdictions. Therefore, they have an extensive peer network to access the required skills when necessary. This makes Magnusson stand out from other law firms in Estonia.’
‘The team in Magnusson is very experienced and deals with issues efficiently. They can communicate complex issues effectively and provide effective down-to-earth solutions.‘
‘Experienced, tactical, proactive and sensible, whilst also being tough when necessary.’
- Represented Petramark OÜ in a dispute regarding invalidation of the disposal of a luxury hotel in Tallinn Old Town valued at €7.2m.
- Acted for business consulting firm GreenStone Advisory in a multi-jurisdictional commercial dispute with CMS Russia that is worth €250,000.
- Successfully represented private individuals in a highly publicised matter regarding the breach of European Convention of Human Rights provisions in a prison in Tallinn against the Republic of Estonia.
Tauno Tark heads the practice at TARK, which has a focus on white-collar criminal defence, bankruptcy proceedings and public procurement litigation, primarily representing corporate clients in the financial, entertainment and retail industries. In stand-out work, Tark is representing Olympic Entertainment Group in proceedings against its former minority shareholders, claiming damages of around €17m. Other clients include Nordic Aviation, ABB, and Rakuten. Managing partner Aare Tark is also noted.
Olympic Entertainment Group
AS Tallinna Lennujaam
Riigi Kinnisvara AS
Ministry of Education and Research (Republic of Estonia)
HHLA TK Estonia AS
Albrecht & Dill Trading GbmH
Nordic Aviation Group
- Representing Olympic Entertainment Group AS in a €17m dispute with its former minority shareholders.
- Representing Albrecht & Dill Trading GmbH in the bankruptcy case of Nord Cocoa OÜ.
- Representing Tatari-Pärnu OÜ in a fundamental dispute regarding constitutional rights of businesses.
Triniti Estonia is best known for its work in TMT-related, public procurement, and corporate disputes, with a focus on alternative dispute resolution methods such as adjudication, mediation, and arbitration, thanks to the experience of practice head Erik Vabamets. The team represents clients in civil, administrative, misdemeanour, and criminal proceedings, as well as at the European level. Its recent workload includes cases relating to online torts, damages relating to political speech reporting, e-commerce, and intermediary liability.
Sig Sauer Inc
Ekspress Meedia AS
BENU Apteek Eesti OÜ
- Represented Bolagsupplysningen and Ingrid Ilsjan in a dispute concerning clarification with regards to the Brussels I Regulation on online torts.
- Represented Ekspress Meedia AS in a landmark case related to political speeches.
- Represented React before the ECJ in an important case concerning a preliminary ruling on e-commerce directives and intermediary liability.
HansaLaw OÜ fields a focused team that is active in a range of civil and criminal disputes. Clients include First Capital and Martin Paide; the team is representing the latter the Port of Tallinn bribery case. Other work includes corporate disputes, including shareholder disputes and bankruptcy proceedings. Managing partner Vahur Kivistik and civil disputes specialist Andres Past are the practice heads.
First Capital OÜ
- Representing First Capital as a shareholder in B2 Consulting International OÜ bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representing Martin Paide in the criminal case concerning bribes made to the management of the Port of Tallinn.
NJORD Law Firm
The practice at NJORD Law Firm is led by Triinu Hiob and Katrin Sarap, who act across a range of disputes, representing corporate clients in the technology, insurance and real estate industries. Hiob is well-regarded as an international arbitrator and litigator in insurance matters, being appointed to the Estonian Court of Arbitration in 2018. Sarap is praised for her work in contentious matters, representing clients of Ergo Insurance in 15 court disputes either as claimants or respondents, winning several Supreme Court victories in this time.
ERGO Insurance SE (previously DAS Legal Expenses Insurance)
mBet Solutions NV
- Representing the clients of Ergo Insurance (DAS Legal Expenses Insurance) in court disputes either as claimant or respondents, as well as in out-of-court disputes.
- Representing mBet Solutions NV in connection with defamatory remarks on a website.
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ
Indrek Leppik and Priit Lätt lead the practice at Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ, which specialises in transport and construction-based disputes involving municipalities and state institutions, including the cities of Tartu and Tallinn, alongside Estonian Railways. The team represented the Tartu City government against the Republic of Estonia in a dispute regarding the construction of a bio-refinery in the city, concerning an investment of around €1bn.
Bank Saint Petersburg
Tartu City Government
MTÜ Eesti Roheline Liikumine
Väinamere Liinid OÜ
Companhia Brasileira De Cartuchos
Estonian Authors’ Society
- Successfully represented the Tartu City government in an administrative dispute against the Republic of Estonia, related to the national spatial planning of a cellulose bio refinery project in Tartu county.
- Represented Eesti Roheline Liikumine in a dispute against the city of Tallinn regarding the environmental impact of the construction of a highway.
- Successfully represented Estonian Railways in a large-scale public procurement dispute.
RASK Attorneys-at-Law represents clients in civil and corporate disputes, with clients including the Republic of Estonia, Reval-Oil and Transcomm Grupp. Matters include monetary claims, criminal defence and tax work. Experienced litigator Tarmo Peterson leads the practice, which also includes key practitioner Ramon Rask. In one notable case, the firm is defending Mr Toivo Promm against allegations of bribery and money laundering in the Port of Tallinn criminal case.
Jõhvi Apteek OÜ
Tamsalu Apteek OÜ
Artes Terrae OÜ
Transcom Grupp OÜ
Esma Vara AS
Pärnu Sadam AS
Nordlin Ehitus OÜ
Kihnu Veeteed AS
Toivo Promm, Bone Invest OÜ
Republic of Estonia
MTÜ Kalatex and MTÜ
Hiiu Ravikeskus SA
Amplius Invest OÜ
- Representing Mr Toivo Promm in the Port of Tallinn criminal case. Mr Promm is accused of multiple counts of bribery and facilitating money laundering.
- Preparing a legal analysis for the Estonian state in an ICSID dispute over Tallinn water tariffs.