Intellectual property in El Salvador
Espino Nieto & Asociados
Full-service firm Espino Nieto & Asociados' well-renowned intellectual property department has particular strength in litigation, handling infringement, counterfeiting and misappropriation cases as part of its comprehensive range of IP services for corporations. Danilo Rodríguez and Luis Miguel Espino are particularly involved in this practice area and associate Verónica Mina is also of note.
García & Bodán
García & Bodán fields a top-notch intellectual property practice, which also covers related topics such as data privacy, technology and artificial intelligence. Julio Vargas acts as regional head of IP, coordinating regional portfolios and health registrations under one roof together with the department leaders in other Central American jurisdictions. In El Salvador, this position is filled by senior associate Fermina Bolaños Meardi, a sanitary registrations specialist. Moreover, the team is retained to handle product recalls, labelling issues and IP litigation, in addition to having niche expertise in consumer protection and publicity related to sports gambling.
The Kraft Heinz Foods Company
Grupo Televisa de México
Grupo Lala de México
Ministry of Education of the Salvadoran Government
Productos Alimenticios Diana
The Kellogg Company
- Advising on the management of trade mark portfolios of international companies in El Salvador such as Converse
- Advising the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology of El Salvador on the prosecution of national phase patent applications for a chemical agent in Japan, the US and Brazil
- Assisted Laca Laca with the protection of its brands in the US, Central and South America, and the EU
Well-established local firm Romero Pineda fields a standout intellectual property team, advising on the identification and protection of client's inventions and creations. Furthermore, the strong practice's portfolio of services includes IP matters related to corporate transactions, copyright issues and unfair competition matters. The practice group is led by a quartet comprising eminent managing partner José Roberto Romero, multinational portfolio expert Roxana Romero, Carlos Castillo and associate Elsy Duran. Castillo, who also leads the firm's litigation department, frequently acts on contentious IP matters and Duran coordinates trade mark clearances and registrations. At associate level, the team also includes Nadya León, who heads the incidents and oppositions unit of the IP practice, and Pamela Giraldo, who focuses on sanitary registrations, particularly of pharmaceutical and natural products.
Productos Alimenticios Bocadeli
Novartis Pharma (Logistics)
Major League Baseball Properties
- Conducted trade mark clearance searches for Avon Products in Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama
- Advised Productos Alimenticios Bocadeli on marketing strategies and IP actions
- Obtained the sanitary registration of an injectable migraine medicine for Novartis Pharma
Trade mark and patent portfolio management for international household names are the two main pillars of Arias' 'dedicated and cohesive' intellectual property practice. The team's portfolio of services further includes technology and data protection matters. Morena Zavaleta acts as department leader and has extensive knowledge of the life sciences sector. Associate Marcela Canjura frequently handles post-registration issues such as renewals, trade mark assignments, licence agreements and voluntary cancellations. Furthermore, the practice is active in corporate transactions involving brand and IP due diligence on a regular basis.
‘It is a dedicated, cohesive team that is always available to fulfil the needs and objectives of clients. All lawyers are up to date with what is happening with each client and their matters.’
‘The lawyers at Arias are an extension of my company. They have an eye on any new legal situation in the country. Information is provided in a timely fashion and they are always available to represent the company in chambers or in meetings involving the relevant authorities.’
‘Quick and effective response.’
‘Very appropriate advice.’
Philip Morris International
Clarke, Modet & Co. (España)
Procter & Gamble
Rigo Tradings (Haribo Group)
- Successfully filed an opposition for Leason Ellis against a trade mark application by MakerBot
- Assisted Procter & Gamble with the acquisition of the Merck Consumer Health trade marks in El Salvador
- Assisted La Constancia with the due diligence related to the sale of the water division’s Cristal trade mark to The Coca Cola Company
Portal & Asociados
CENTRAL LAW El Salvador
Acting for smaller local clients as well multinational corporations, Central Law El Salvador is particularly active in patent and trade mark registrations as well as related oppositions. Sandra Cabezas and José Manuel Argüello, who was promoted to partner in August 2019, jointly head the IP department. Both focus on advising pharmaceutical laboratories on sanitary registrations and franchising, while also assisting them with market entry in El Salvador.
Pricesmart El Salvador
Alura Animal Health and Nutrition
- Registering all the intellectual property and pharmaceutical products of Mediproducts
- Advising Pan Sinaí on all matters related to the registration of intellectual property, health records and distribution contracts
- Processed the renewal of several trade marks for PriceSmart
Patent, trade mark and copyright matters, as well as sanitary and pharmaceutical registrations, make up the portfolio of services of Consortium Legal's IP group. Department head Suzanne Berrios De Tablas also acts on contentious matters both in and out of court. Trade mark expert and associate Francisco Medrano completes the team in El Salvador, bringing additional expertise in the field of unfair competition and trade mark protection, for instance through the filing of border measures or cancellation and nullity procedures.
‘We really appreciate their fast responses. We are a very agile business and value this quality in our colleagues.’
‘We are very satisfied with Consortium, which is on a par with the other firms we work with around the world.’
‘Suzanne de Tablas and Francisco Medrano are problem solvers.’
Mercantil de Comercio de El Salvador
Banco Bilbao Viscaya y Argentaria (Banco BBVA)
Zodiac International Corporation
- Advised Mercantil de Comercio de El Salvador on several brand marketing contracts and trade mark disputes
- Assisted Vuelos Baratos with the protection of its brands
- Coordinated registration processes for all of Toyopower Global’s trade marks in El Salvador
De La Gasca & Cía.
LatinAlliance El Salvador
With a core focus on all issues surrounding trade marks from portfolio management to oppositions, LatinAlliance El Salvador offers comprehensive intellectual property services across the Central American region. Fabiola Torres Corletto, who 'always gives 100%', acts as both local and regional director of the firm's IP department, which caters in particular to pharmaceutical clients. Associate Diana Pleités shows additional expertise in the food and beverage industry, as well as in new technology law.
‘The team at Latin Alliance is very good. They are characterised by their responsibility, professionalism and availability to provide advice at all times.’
‘Fabiola Torres always gives 100%.’
Marshalls of Nevada
Grupo Carval (Laboratorios La Sante, Carval, Vallecilla, Bionutrec, Galeno Quimica)
Industria Procesadora de Lacteos
Industria La Popular
Yobel SCM Logistics
La Casa de Las Baterias
- Advised Laboratorios Stein on the sale of its medical prescription trade mark products to Eurofarma
- Managing 150 trade marks for Laboratorios Medikem
- Filed an opposition against the application for brand registration of Yogoavena on behalf of Alimentos Ideal
Active in El Salvador since 2018, ECIJA has launched an innovative intellectual property department handling trade marks, regulatory matters and litigation. Managing partner Alfredo Navas and team members Carlos Quintanilla and associate Alejandra Gómez show sector expertise in the plastics, motorcycles, and food and beverage industries and have a particular focus on new technologies, for instance assisting start-ups with the protection of their software products. The team was further strengthened by the arrival of associate Karla Alas, who specialises in IP and digital law, from Romero Pineda in August 2020.
Corporación Saint Germain
- Coordinated brand registration in El Salvador for Laca Laca
- Developed a trade mark protection strategy for Toto
Regional firm EY Law Central America's intellectual property team in El Salvador focuses on trade mark portfolio registrations and related transactions and litigation. The team is led by Mónica Machuca, who is also knowledgeable about the protection of geographical signs and denominations of origin, and also includes Gabriela Lemus, who is more focused on trade mark, patent and copyright matters.
Real Hotels and Resort
Hoteles de Centroamerica
- Advised Medic Plast on the registration of the “Cannabipiel” trade mark in El Salvador, and the non-registrability of the term “Cannabis” according to Salvadoran intellectual property law
- Advised Licorera Cihuatan on the registration of its entire trade mark portfolio
The 'reliable' and 'easy to work with' intellectual property team at Lexincorp has a strong suit in enforcement actions and focuses on intellectual property issues in connection with technological development. Enrique Escobar and associates Adriana Portillo and Paola Alarcon head the department. Alarcon is also adept at handling registration objections and trade mark matching for oppositions.
‘They provide reliable, prompt services at competitive prices. It is easy to work with them. They have a lot of knowledge of local legislation, which means they can provide the appropriate advice.’
Cavilon 3M Company
- Acted for Entertainment One in seeking action against falsified goods of its protected brands Peppa Pig and PJ Masks
- Assisted Woden with the registration of 18 brands and evaluated its existing portfolio