Al Kamel Law Office is among the leading firms in the telecoms sector, where its work spans licensing and corporate acquisitions, regulatory compliance, corporate structuring, due diligence and advice on contractual protection. Among its notable clients are Telecom Italia, Mobinil, Microsoft and Etisalat Egypt. The firm is increasingly involved in the technology sector and among its recent work is advising on VoIP networks and IT solutions for data centres. Mohamed Kamel and Sayed Ammar are the lead partners, with senior associate Omar Abdelsalam also active in high-profile matters.
TMT in Egypt
Mohamed Kamel; Sayed Ammar
Other key lawyers:
France Télécom and Orange
Sk c&c – affiliated computer services
Inc. (a Xerox company)
British telecom – middle east broadcasting networks Inc. (mbn)
The World Bank
Windsor Business Center
Baker Hughes Limited
Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy is a prominent player in the telecoms sector, having been instructed by mobile operator Etisalat Misr to handle day-to-day matters and disputes. It also advises major operators on regulatory matters. The firm also handles extensive media work for multinational companies, among them Sony Pictures. Mohamed Shehata, Omar Bassiouny, John Matouk and corporate partner Hazem El Guindi lead the practice, in which litigator Amr Abbas, who is 'an expert on competition law issues and provides insightful advice', also plays a key role.
Mohamed Shehata; Omar Bassiouny; John Matouk; Hazem El Guindi
Other key lawyers:
‘Amr Abas is an expert on competition law issues and provides insightful advice’.
‘Amr Abas has provided us with detailed advice on issues concerning competition law procedures.’
Halan for Technology and Services
NBK Capital Partners
- Represented Si-Ware Systems in relation to the sale of the intellectual property and patents of its Application-Specific Integrated Circuit (ASIC) business to Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co. Ltd. for wireless communication technology.
- Assisting Halan with day-to-day corporate matters, corporate compliance and legal advice as well as drafting and reviewing any type of agreements.
- Assisted Uber in the investigations conducted by the Egyptian Competition Authority on the acquisition transaction of Careem by Uber.
Shahid Law Firm climbs the ranking having raised its profile with high-value transactions and disputes in the telecoms, technology and media sectors, including a major arbitration victory for the Confederation of African Football. Litigator Sameh Attia and experienced TMT specialist Tarek Badawy are the lead partners. They frequently advise on digital services, sports media law, e-commerce and technology procurement. As 'one of the very few practices fully dedicated to venture capital transactions in a very nascent market in Egypt', the firm launched Venture by Shahid, led by managing associate Rehan Elbashary, to focus on the needs of start-up companies.
Sameh Attia; Tarek Badawy
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm has excellent knowledge of all facets of relevant law. It communicated in an outstanding way. It has an exceptional ability to bridge the gap to European clients who may not have any awareness of cultural, political, legal and procedural issues which may influence the conduct of their business in sub-Saharan Africa.’
‘Tarek Badawy is an exceptionally knowledgeable lawyer, who provides clear, well structured advice. An ability to listen and ask the right questions, Tarek very quickly gets to grips with the nuances of a client’s business and is able to drive the issues forward with professionalism and diplomacy. An accomplished individual who provides concise, timely advice and is a calming presence in what would otherwise be stressful complex circumstances.’
‘This practice is one of the very few, if not the only practice, fully dedicated to venture capital transactions in a very nascent market in Egypt.’
‘Rehan Elbashary was a fantastic asset to the transaction. Her attention to detail and attitude towards taking every argument to its logical conclusion is wholly impressive.’
Confederation of African Football (CAF)
Middle East Broadcasting Center (MBC) and O3 Productions
Statsbomb Services Limited
Minly for Technology Services S.A.E
- Defended the CAF against Lagardère Sports in ICC Emergency Arbitration proceedings initiated by Lagardère in connection with the termination of a 28-year $ 1bn contract for the commercial exploitation of CAF Competitions; and acted for CAF before the COMESA Competition Commission in the first investigation involving the sports media industry.
- Advised Statsbomb Services Ltd, a British football analytics company, in connection with handling the acquisition of the entire share capital of Arqam FC, a Cairo-based sport data startup, from an Egyptian law perspective.
- Defended MBC in one of the most important media broadcasting cases before the Administrative Court, in relation to multiple attempts of staying the airing of one of the most widely viewed television shows during the month of Ramadan. A judgment was ruled in favour of the client and the show continued to air.
'The team treats new ideas with a high level of professionalism and goes the extra mile to bring new business models to life', remarks a client of Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law. 'A highly dedicated and competent team that delivers on expectations and exceeds them by being a real business partner,' notes another. A prominent adviser to the telecoms sector, the firm has developed a similar profile in assisting technology start-ups and media companies. Yasser Hashem, who is head of the corporate, capital markets and telecoms practices, is the main contact. Corporate and telecoms partner Dina Kamel is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Dina Kamel; Tamer Gamal
‘The team is showing high level of expertise in different business, contractual due diligence-related aspects. The team is always available and supportive throughout any partnership journey we go through. The team has a critical advisory eye to highlight key points we need to consider while embarking on a new agreement. They also highlight long-term risks very effectively. The team goes the extra mile in checking new law implications on continuous business needs.’
‘The team treats new ideas with a high level of professionalism. They go the extra mile to bring new business models to life through helping us submit new innovative requests to the relevant legal entities.’
‘The individuals we work with are genuine business partners. During our discussions with other businesses they are actively participating in our joint calls and supporting us throughout. We consider them as an internal department and rely on them with a high level of trust.’
‘A highly dedicated and competent team that delivers on expectations and exceeds them, by being a real business partner. The way that they handle our business constantly proves valuable on each project at hand.’
‘The firm has specialised team members to specific business issues who come with a track record in that specific area, hence leading to the desired end product on projects handled.’
‘A highly personalised and efficient service is provided by the assigned team to our business. Led by Dina Kamel, on all projects the team’s involvement and input proved strategic and of high value to us.’
‘The team is agile, versatile and reliable. As a venture, we move much faster than large organisations and we need partners that can match our pace and focus on delivery. ZH&P’s team is highly entrepreneurial and is able to cater for rapidly growing businesses. Also the team has a rich array of expertise that always provides a differentiated and value-adding perspective. Furthermore, we can comfortably rely on the team’s delivery schedules and quality.’
‘The balance of breadth of experience and ability to summon subject matter experts is unique. Also, the team is very well networked and updated with regulatory changes and communicates that in a timely manner with us. Dina Kamel and Tamer Gamal are a unique and complementary duo with significant corporate and litigation experience. They are able to breakdown any challenge in multiple ways and reconstruct a solution in innovative ways.’
AIG Egypt Insurance Company & AIG MEA Limited
Emerging Markets Payments Africa S.A.E & Network International Egypt, S.A.E. (among other companies within the Group)
Fawry for Banking & Payment Technology Services
Global Peering Exchange (GPX)
Masary Electronic Payments
NEC Telecommunication & Information Technology, Ltd,
Nokia Siemens Networks
Raya Holding Co. for Technology & Telecommunications
Raya Contact Centre (RCC)
SI-Ware Systems Limited
Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications S.A.E.
EMC Corporation (Dell)
LG Electronics Inc., Egypt
NxtVn – Finland
Liwwa for Trading S.A.E.
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating the first ride hailing license for Uber under the new Egyptian ride haling law.
- Advising on and drafting the “Sulfa” product template for Khazna, an Egypt-based startup that extends mobile financial services to the underbanked.
- Advising on and drafting two payment product templates for Khazna, an Egypt-based startup that extends mobile financial services to the underbanked.
ADSERO-Ragy Soliman & Partners joins the ranking having quickly established an impressive client base in the technology, life sciences and media sectors. Among the high-profile companies for which it acts are Amazon and Global Telecom Holding. Head of the corporate and commercial practice Mohamed Abdelgawad frequently advises large technology and telecommunications companies on matters such as cybersecurity data protection and fintech. His track record includes high-value transactions for global pharmaceutical companies.
Global Telecom Holding
- Advising Souq.com (owned by Amazon, Inc.) on the new Egyptian Media Licensing Regulations and representing the client in regulations reform discussions with the Supreme Council for Media in Egypt.
- Advising OLX on the new Egyptian Media Licensing Regulations and representing OLX in regulations reform discussions with the Supreme Council for Media in Egypt.
'The team is responsive, business-focused and provides clear and actionable advice', says a client of Al Tamimi & Company. The TMT practice is led from Dubai but the main contacts in Cairo, local managing partner Ayman Nour and senior associate Hadia ElBeshry, handle corporate transactions for technology and media companies, as well as advising on technology procurement, licensing, project management, data protection and other relevant issues. They count IBM among their clients.
Other key lawyers:
Ayman Nour; Hadia ElBeshry
‘The team is responsive, business-focused and provides clear and actionable advice. It is always a pleasure to deal with the firm.’
‘The firm operates across many locations in the Middle East and Africa, and has an integrated practice so that clients need not start anew when they have a project in a new country. This approach makes it both simple and engaging to work with the firm.’
Red Bull GMBH
- Advising a leading Chinese cloud computing company in relation to a data center and POP in Egypt.
- Advising a leading American multinational technology company on the legal requirements applicable to data handling and storage in connection with Cloud/SaaS offers.
- Advising a major American social media corporation on the prohibitions and protections against collecting and processing certain information found on the commonly accepted forms of ID including the risk of criminal liability and/or fines being incurred.
Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) has a large corporate and M&A practice that advises on transactions, projects and regulatory matters in the telecoms, digital media and technology sectors, including data security, outsourcing, licensing and investments. It brings together expertise in technology, IP, corporate matters and disputes to advise clients such as Trend Micro and Nile Radio Production Company. Corporate partner Ghada El Ehwany, who also has expertise in healthcare regulation and litigation, leads the practice.
Ghada El Ehwany
Nile Radio Production Company
Al-Watania Information Systems (WiSys)
Al Babtain Power and Communication
- Advised EGPC (the national oil company of Egypt) on drafting the agreements concerning digitising the oil and gas exploration and production industry in Egypt, a project that is unprecedented in the sector.
- Advising Trend Micro (one of the largest cybersecurity and defence companies) on the acquisition of 100% of the share capital of Secure Misr.
- Advised Al-Watania Information Systems (WiSys), a Saudi company providing services in business applications and IT solutions, on acquiring 50% of the share capital of an Egyptian company to create a local platform for WiSys growth in Egypt.
The practice at Marghany Advocates advises numerous clients in the telecoms and technology sector, among them household names Google and Dell. Its work comprises corporate transactions and regulatory matters, as well as litigation. Much of the firm's recent work has focused on compliance matters arising from the newly introduced data privacy law. Managing partner Amir Marghany is the main contact.
- Advising Dell on its technical solutions and civil matters with major landlords.
- Advising Google on technical solutions and civil matters.
- Assisting Tickets Marche with its solutions and terms and conditions and privacy policies in light of the most recent relevant laws.
Shalakany Law Office is well regarded for its work in the telecoms sector, having played a part in drafting Egypt's regulatory framework. The firm also advises social media and other technology companies on matters including corporate transactions, data security and regulatory matters. Respected litigator and arbitrator Khaled El Shalakany and construction and IT partner Sharif Shehata are the main contacts.
Khaled El Shalakany
Other key lawyers: