Projects and infrastructure in Egypt
Al Kamel Law Office has 'a great team with deep resources and expertise in all specialities needed in project and infrastructure finance'. Projects work is a core area for the firm and Mohamed Kamel and Rasheed Kamel are regarded as leading practitioners in the market. Senior attorney Shahira Khaled is another name to note. The firm frequently acts for international banks and development finance institutions.
Mohamed Kamel; Rasheed Kamel
‘Rasheed Kamel is a very experienced partner with great insights on commercial and legal solutions to complex issues.‘
‘Shahira Khaled is an outstanding rising star with superb client and legal skills.‘
‘A great team with a deep resource in direct expertise and all supplemental specialities needed in project and infrastructure finance.‘
Export-Import Bank of The United States, U.K. Export Finance and Overseas Private Investment Corporation
DEG-Deutsche Investitions Bank
Palm Hills Development
Nordea Bank Abp
Arab African International Bank
- Acting as local legal counsel, alongside Mayer Brown as international legal counsel, to Export-Import Bank of the United States, UK Export Finance and Overseas Private Investment Corporation, Sace, S.p.A., on a proposed petrochemical project financing transaction with a total value of approx. $11bn.
- Advised Lactalis – Halawa Group on the acquisition finance of Greenland Group with an amount of approximately EGP1bn granted by QNB Al Ahly Egypt and Crédit Agricole France.
- Advising Nordea Bank Abp on the financing of Scatec Solar group including its subsidiary in Egypt, Scatec Solar Solutions LLC, in the amount of approximately $60m and related security documents.
Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) is a leading player in energy, mining and infrastructure projects, handling all phases from finance through to construction. Practice head Mohamed Ghannam and the highly regarded Lamyaa Gadelhak handled several multibillion-dollar projects in the energy and manufacturing sectors.
The Central Bank of Egypt
African Export–Import Bank (AFREXIMBANK)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Sixth of October for Development and Investment (SODIC)
Arab Petroleum Investments Corporation (APICORP)
Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi
National Bank Of Egypt
Arab African International Bank
International Finance Corporation
Rand Merchant bank
Export-Import Bank of India (EXIM Bank)
- Advised a six-bank consortium, led by National Bank of Egypt, on a $100m and EGP1.2m multi-currency bridge facility to Canal Sugar Company.
- Advised Al Sharkiyah Sugar Manufacturing Company (Al-Nouran) in its capacity as borrower on a senior Islamic Istisn’a facility with an aggregate amount of EGP2.2bn and $33.1m and a EGP360m working capital facility for the establishment of its beet sugar factory in Al Sharqeya governorate.
- Acted for Afreximbank on a $150m revolving facility agreement between El Sewedy Electric S.A.E as borrower and Afreximbank.
At Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy, the corporate and finance practices combine to work with international law firms on market-leading projects, frequently in the energy sector. Mahmoud Bassiouny leads the finance and projects group in both the Cairo and Sudan offices, and works for sponsors, developers, contractors and suppliers on large projects. Counsel Ashraf Hendi who joined from Al Tamimi & Company is also noted.
Maridive Oil & Services
Sonker Bunkering Company
Maridive Offshore Projects
Sterling & Wilson
Union Fenosa Gas/ Spanish Egyptian Gas Company S.A.E
- Advised Lekela Egypt Wind Power BOO S.A.E on a 250MW wind farm project under a build, own, operate scheme located in Ras Ghareb.
- Assistance to Sterling & Wilson in its capacity as EPC contractor of several FiT Projects.
- Advising Soco International, as local counsel, on the acquisition of Metrlon Petroleum El Fayum Company.
Shahid Law Firm is 'a national leader among Egyptian law firms involved in projects and infrastructure', according to one client. Practice head Donia El-Mazghouny is highly regarded for the financing and development of wind and solar power projects. The firm frequently acts for international financial institutions, international and local banks, and project sponsors.
‘Donia El-Mazghouny strives to bring a practical approach, creativity and commitment to excellence to each matter in which she is engaged.‘
‘A national leader among Egyptian law firms involved in projects and infrastructure.‘
EDF International Network
Dornier Consulting International
Baker Hughes (GE)
Egyptian Ministry of Public Business Sector
- Advising EDF International Network on the structuring and setup of its Egyptian company, pursuant to its memorandum of understanding signed with the Egyptian government and Administrative Capital for Urban Development company to cooperate in the implementation, operation, and maintenance of the electricity grid of the new administrative capital.
- Advised the Cotton and Textile Industry Holding Company on its agreement with a large German manufacturer of textile machinery on the supply and installation of machinery in relation to the Kafr Eldawar manufacturing facility.
- Assisted a Swedish supplier with its design, construction and supply agreement with the Egyptian Bar Association for the establishment of a cancer treatment facility in Egypt.
Shalakany Law Office has a role in many landmark projects, including the recent Gabal El Zeit 250MW wind farm IPP project financing, and it is a key adviser to the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company. Aly El Shalakany, Emad El Shalakany, Mariam Fahmy and Omar Sherif frequently act for large domestic and international project companies and financial institutions.
Aly El Shalakany; Emad El Shalakany; Mariam Fahmy; Omar Sherif
Engie E&P International
S2 Africa Limited
Sealed Air Corporation
Majid Al Futtaim
LEKELA POWER B.V.
BNP Paribas Fortis S.A./N.V.
Credit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
Cassa Depositi E Prestiti S.p.A.
Toyota Tsusho Corporation
Transmash Holding Hungary KFT
The Egyptian Ministry of Petroleum
- Acting for the lenders on two build, own, operate wind power projects, located in the Gulf of Suez area in Egypt to develop, build, finance and operate an up to 250MW wind farm project.
- Acted for Sace and the lenders on the $1.2bn financing of the modernisation and expansion of MIDOR’s refinery situated in Alexandria, Egypt.
- Assisting with negotiating, reviewing and translating a contract concluded with the Egyptian National Railways for manufacturing and supplying 1,300 new railway passenger coaches, in what might be considered the biggest deal in the country’s railway history.
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law provides 'exceptional legal advice'. Senior partner Mohammed Gomaa leads a practice that acts for international and local clients on the establishment, operation and financing of large infrastructure projects using build-operate-transfer, build-own-operate-transfer, and PPP models.
‘They are very approachable and friendly. They provide good communication, a very quick resolution and much better outcomes than expected.‘
‘The firm provides efficient and expert help.‘
‘Not only do they provide exceptional legal advice, they care about their clients.‘
AL Sagheer Group
Attijariwafa Bank Egypt
Al Babtain Group
China State Construction Engineering Corporation Ltd. – Egypt Branch (CSCEC)
Commercial International Bank Egypt (CIB Egypt)
El Sewedy Electric
Neptune Energy Egypt B.V. (Previously Engie)
Pepsi Cola Egypt
RATP Dev S.A.
Ras Ghareb Wind Energy
Damietta Furniture City
Arab Co. for Asset Management and Development
Egyptian Countryside Development Company
Abdel Warith Consulting Engineers
Arabian Capital Investment and Finance Co.
Arabian International Company (AIC)
Dar Al Fouad Hospital
DP World Sokhna SAE
Kharafi National W.L.L
Rapiscan Systems (Division of OSI Systems Group)
Suez Canal Container Terminal
Supco Canada Railway Supply Group
United Group for Highways Development
Beltone Capital Red Sea Venture for Solar Energy
MHP Investments (Mauritius Fund)
Razel-Bec (Ismailia Tunnels)
The World Bank
- Advising the government of Egypt on the design and procurement of the high-speed railway project connecting Ain Sokhna to New Alamein City.
- Advising El Sewedy Electric Company on the joint venture with the Arab Contractors Company concerning Tanzania’s Rufiji hydropower project.
- Assisting Middle East Oil Refinery with the modernisation, upgrade and expansion of a new refinery.
Dentons Egypt LLC
Dentons Egypt LLC is frequently involved in landmark new projects for international sponsors and financial institutions. The practice is led by managing partner Michael Lacey, who has extensive experience in major build-operate-transfer projects focused on the development of road, port, hospital, airport, power, bridge and airport infrastructure.
Glovo App Technology Egypt, LLC
Janssen Egypt LLC
Thales Espana GRP SAU
Alibaba.com Singapore ECommerce
Bowman Gilfillan – China
Telecom Global Limited
Facebook UK Limited
Noble Energy Mediterranean
Limited and Delek Drilling
Georg Fischer AG
- Advised on the establishment of a local joint venture between client Transdev and Mwasalat for the electric buses project for Giza Plateau.
- Assisting Glovo App Technology Egypt, LLC with the client’s operations in Egypt and the required licence for commencing the delivery there.
- Assisting Janssen Egypt LLC with the lease of a new administrative office in New Cairo, Egypt.
MHR & Partners in association with White & Case hired Ziad Gadalla from Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) to jointly lead the practice alongside Tarek Mohanna and Sherief Rashed, who work closely with Philip Stopford in the London office. The Cairo team acts for a wide range of local banks, international financial institutions and sponsors, particularly on energy projects.
Ziad Gadalla; Tarek Mohanna; Sherief Rashed
‘The team is outstanding. Its key strengths are knowledge, tenacity, responsiveness, enthusiasm and being a pleasure to work with. There is great strength-in-depth across the disciplines I engage with them on and they offer value for money.‘
Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank
ADES International Holding Ltd.
Tahrir Petrochemicals Company
Egypt Hydrocarbon Corporation (EHC)
Energean Oil & Gas
Egyptian Ethylene and Derivatives Company (Ethydco)
Suez Methanol Derivatives Company
El Wady for Phosphate Industries and Fertilizers
- Advising on all aspects of the proposed petrochemical complex in Egypt, which will significantly enhance the industrial base of Egypt.
- Assisted the sponsor group comprising Phoenix Power Ventures, ib vogt GmbH and Infinity Solar with the development and financing of the 50MW solar power generation plant in Aswan, Egypt as part of the feed-in-tariff programme.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers (Banque Saudi Fransi, Samba Financial Group, The National Commercial Bank and The Saudi British Bank) on the SAR2.15bn Islamic project financing for the construction of a new petrochemicals complex in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia.
Sharkawy & Sarhan
Sharkawy & Sarhan plays a key role in many major projects in the oil and gas, power and renewable energy sectors, often acting on behalf of development finance institutions. Head of energy Heba Raslan and key infrastructure finance partner Mohamed Hazzaa are the main contacts in a practice that advised on financing with a total value of $1.8bn from 17 international and development financial institutions for ongoing projects.
Heba Anwar Raslan
- Advised Deutsche Erdoel AG, an international independent oil and gas exploration and production company headquartered in Germany, on the development of oil and gas fields.
- Acted for Deutsche Erdoel AG on the winning bid by DEA Nile GmbH for the exploration of natural gas in the East Damanhour block.
Al Tamimi & Company's team is led by outstanding finance partner Hossam Gramon, whose work encompasses energy, infrastructure, healthcare, education and rail projects. The firm's work for international finance institutions, investment banks and local sponsors includes power, water and waste, oil and gas, and transport projects using traditional procurement and PPP finance.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development EBRD
Goldman Sachs International
ElSewedy Education Company
Mangroovy Company for Real Estate and Tourism S.A.E.
ElSewedy Electric S.A.E
- Advising Nexant on a waste lube oil collection and re-refining facility project being developed in Egypt by Elsewedy Electric S.A.E.
- Advising The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on a $200m senior loan to City Centre Almaza SAE.
- Assisting Delta Steel Company with the drafting of a turnkey agreement in relation to the Delta Steel Mill Co. phase two development project.
Riad & Riad has extensive experience in domestic and cross-border finance transactions, and it advises domestic Egyptian and international developers as well as banks and international financial institutions on oil and gas, renewable energy and infrastructure projects. Fatma Salah is the key partner and her broad corporate and finance practice includes many large project finance transactions.
China Railway Group Limited and AVIC
GS Engineering and Construction Corporation
Marubeni-Itochu Tubulars Europe Plc
Sterling & Wilson
- Advised ExxonMobil on the 2018 international bid round for gas exploration announced by the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Corporation.
- Assisted GS Engineering with one of the largest oil refinery projects in Egypt with a value of $500m.
- Advised Oikocredit Ecumenical Development Cooperative Society U.A., which is providing funding to the microfinance sector, on unsecured shareholders loans and collateral execution and registration in Egypt