Energy in Egypt
Al Kamel Law Office's 'great team' has 'excellent industry and deal experience'. Mohamed Kamel and the 'very experienced and commercially savvy' Rasheed Kamel lead the practice, which frequently assists oil and gas companies with issues such as exploration activities, disputes, joint ventures, off-take agreements, pipeline facilities and concession agreements. It also handles large renewable energy projects. Associate Shahira Khaled has 'excellent skills and instincts for client service'.
Mohamed Kamel; Rasheed Kamel
‘It is a great firm to work with and it has lots of space for good faith discussions aimed at finding solutions.‘
‘A great team with excellent industry and deal experience.‘
‘Rasheed Kamel is a very experienced and commercially savvy lawyer.‘
‘Shahira Khaled has excellent skills and instincts for client service.’
EXPORT-IMPORT BANK OF THE UNITED STATES
UK EXPORT FINANCE
OVERSEAS PRIVATE INVESTMENT CORPORATION
DEG-Deutsche Investitions Bank
Oesterreichische Entwicklungsbank AG
International Finance Corporation
- Acting as local legal counsel, with Mayer Brown as international legal counsel, to Export-Import Bank of the United States, U.K. Export Finance and Overseas Private Investment Corporation, SACE, S.p.A., on a proposed petrochemical project financing transaction with a total value of approx. $11bn.
- Advised Bayerische Landesbank – Arab African International Bank on the development, design, financing, engineering, procurement, manufacture, construction, permitting, completion, testing, commissioning, insurance, ownership, operation and maintenance of a 50MW solar photovoltaic power plant.
Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) is a key player in the oil, gas and petrochemicals sector, where it advises on upstream, E&P, transportation, refining and downstream matters. The practice, which is led by managing partner Mohamed Ghannam, is also highly regarded in the power space, where he is involved in matters relating to coal, electricity, oil and gas-fired and nuclear power plants, as well as hydroelectric and renewables projects. Lamyaa Gadelhak is another key practitioner.
African Export–Import Bank (AFREXIMBANK)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Arab Petroleum Investments Corporation (APICORP)
Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi
National Bank Of Egypt
Arab African International Bank
International Finance Corporation
- Acting as local counsel to Carbon Holdings on its $10bn mega-petrochemical complex by Tahrir Petrochemical Corporation (an Egyptian company established by Carbon Holdings) in the North West Gulf of Suez Special Economic Zone.
- Acted for AlNowais Investments LLC on a 3,960MW coal-fired power project with an estimate investment cost of $4bn.
- Acted as local counsel to African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) on disbursing the sum of $200m to the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) to support EGPC’s investment in the Middle East Oil Refinery Company.
Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy's energy practice brings together expertise from its finance, corporate and litigation groups to advise lenders, borrowers, contractors, project developers and sponsors on oil, gas and power projects. One of the first firms in Egypt to work on renewable power projects, it maintains a prominent role in that fast-growing market. Head of finance and projects Mahmoud Bassiouny is the key contact.
Sterling & Wilson
Hassam Allam Utilities
- Assistance to Sterling & Wilson in its capacity as EPC Contractor with several FiT Projects.
- Advising Soco International as local counsel on the acquisition of Metrlon Petroleum El Fayum Company.
- Assisting Mubadala Petroleum as local counsel (transaction internationally led by Sherman & Sterling) with the acquisition of a 10% stake in the Shorouk concession in Egypt’s Zohr gas field.
Shahid Law Firm is 'a top-notch firm with an extremely deep bench'. Donia El-Mazghouny, who leads the energy and projects group, 'excels at integrating her deep knowledge of the sector into clear and practical advice for international investors'. The firm handles oil and gas upstream, midstream and downstream projects, but also has a strong focus on the renewable power sector. It is highly regarded for cross-border transactions and regulatory advice.
‘A top-notch firm with an extremely deep bench.‘
‘Donia El-Mazghouny excels at integrating her deep knowledge of the sector into clear and practical advice for international investors.’
EDF International Network
Baker Hughes (GE)
Vegas Oil & Gas
East Mediterranean Gas (EMG)
- Advised EDF International Network on the structuring and set-up of its Egyptian company to co-operate in the implementation, operation, and maintenance of the electricity grid of the New Administrative Capital.
- Advised the Benban Developers Association on the semi-reconciliation claim raised by the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company under the cost sharing agreement for additional costs related to the shared interconnection works in the Benban solar park in Egypt.
- Advising Voltalia on the implementation of the local security related to its PV power facility in Egypt, as well as on the engineering, procurement and construction regulatory and labour requirements of the project.
Shalakany Law Office frequently works with Magic Circle and US law firms on cross-border transactions in the energy sector. The team handles upstream matters in the oil and gas sector, and is also a key player in the development of major new wind and solar energy projects. Senior partner Aly El Shalakany, finance specialist Mariam Fahmy and corporate partner Omar Sherif are the lead practitioners.
Aly El Shalakany; Mariam Fahmy; Omar Sherif
Engie E&P International
S2 Africa Limited
Sealed Air Corporation
Majid Al Futtaim
LEKELA POWER B.V.
BNP Paribas Fortis S.A./N.V.
Credit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
Cassa Depositi E Prestiti S.p.A.
Toyota Tsusho Corporation
Transmash Holding Hungary KFT
The Egyptian Ministry of Petroleum
- Acting for sponsor Karm Solar on a power purchase agreement for solar power entered into with Cairo 3A relating to an industrial project (poultry farm) operated by Cairo 3A.
- Acted as legal counsel for Sace and the lenders on the $1.2bn financing of the modernisation and expansion of MIDOR’s refinery situated in Alexandria, Egypt.
- Acting for the lenders (IFC, OPIC and EBRD) on two build own operate wind power projects, located in the Gulf of Suez area in Egypt to develop, build, finance and operate an up to 250MW wind farm project.
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law has a long history in the energy sector and continues to advise on concession agreements in the oil and gas space, as well as handling mining and power projects. The practice, which is led by head of oil and gas Sameh Khodeir, projects partner Mohammed Gomaa and project finance partner Sameh Kamal, is also heavily involved in the financing and public law aspects of renewable power projects.
Sameh Khodeir; Mohamed Gomaa; Sameh Kamal
Arab Federation of Petroleum Mining & Chemical Workers
Egyptian Company for Gas Services
El Sewedy Electric
Neptune Energy Egypt B.V. (Previously Engie)
Arabian Oil Company Ltd.,
Dana Gas Company
(advised through Ashurst LLP – London Office)
Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC)
Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS )
Engie (Formerly GDF Suez)
ELF Energy Egypt for Generating Renewable Energy S.A.E.
HBS International Egypt
IEOC& AGIP ENI
IMEX International SAE
Merlon Petroleum El Fayum Company (Merlon)
Misr Wind Power S.A.E
National Petroleum Company S.A.E. (NPC)
Noble Energy, Inc.
PERENCO North Sinai Petroleum Company
Petroleum Marine Services (PMS)
PetroTrace Global (advised through Chadbourne & Parke LLP – London Office)
Pico International Petroleum Services
Ras Ghareb Wind Energy SAE – Mother Company: ENGIE (GDF SUEZ) previously gas de France.
Sahara Oil & Gas
Schlumberger Logelco, Inc.
Shelf Drilling Egypt Technical Limited (Formerly Global Santa Fe International Drilling Corporation)
Shell International Gas Limited
Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Corporation (SIPC)
South Abu Zenima Petroleum Company (Petrozenima )
Petroleum Projects & Technical Consultations Company (PETROJET)
Tharwa Petroleum Co.
The Egyptian Petroleum Development Co (EPEDECO)
Union Fenosa Gas, S.A.
United Oils and Foods Co. (UNI OIL)
Apex International Energy Management LLC
Beltone Capital Red Sea Venture for Solar Energy S.A.E. (BCRSV)
Geofizyka Torun SA
Helaba-Landesbank Hessen-Thüringen (Power Project Monitoring)
I-Pulse Inc. (Advised through Chadbourne & Parke LLP – London Office)
Petroceltic International PLC
T5 Oil & Gas (advised through Chadbourne & Parke LLP – London Office)
TERRA SOLA VENTURES W.L.L
Weatherford Oil Tool Middle East L.T.D
- Advised El Sewedy Electric Company on a joint venture with The Arab Contractors Company regarding Tanzania’s Rufiji hydropower project.
- Advised Infinity-e on the anticipated implementation of public charging stations for electric vehicles in cooperation with several developers in Egypt.
- Assisted the International Finance Corporation with supporting the EETC with the design and implementation of Egypt’s first solar auction programme.
Dentons Egypt LLC
Dentons Egypt LLC handles corporate and contentious matters for clients in the media and telecoms sectors. Local managing partner Michael Lacey, consultant and finance specialist Frederique Leger and associate Ahmed Kamal are the key contacts in a practice that counts Noble Energy and Engie among its clients.
Dana Petroleum Limited
Vestas Eólica S.A.U.
Noble Energy Mediterranean
Limited and Delek Drilling
- Advising on the drafting of a legal opinion on the terms of a concession agreement, with regard to force majeure against Ganope.
- Assisting a client with the NREA 250MW EPC tender, with regard to contractual and corporate Egyptian law for a wind project.
- Advising on the proposed acquisition of interests in the East Mediterranean Gas Company, which owns and operates a gas pipeline between Egypt and Israel.
Marghany Advocates is frequently involved in key projects in the oil and gas sector. The team recently advised on the development of a new tank terminal for crude storage in Port Said. The group counts Chile's state oil, gas and refineries company Enap Sipetrol and Egyptian oil company PetroShahd among its clients. Amir Marghany and energy specialist Marwan Al Ashaal are the key practitioners.
Stays T2 – a very small team but a role in key projects in the o/g sector.
- Advised Life Petrochemicals Group on major projects involving the Suez Canal New Investment Zone, including the establishment of a new tank terminal for crude storage in Port Said.
MHR & Partners in association with White & Case opened in Cairo only three years ago but has already become a leading player in the financing of conventional and renewable power projects, on which it acts as both local and international counsel. Leading energy, mining and infrastructure partner Ziad Gadalla joined from Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International). Islamic finance specialist Sherief Rashed and Philip Stopford are other key names.
Philip Stopford; Ziad Gadalla; Tarek Mohanna; Sherief Rashed
Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank
ADES International Holding Ltd.
Tahrir Petrochemicals Company
Energean Oil & Gas
Egyptian Ethylene and Derivatives Company (Ethydco)
Suez Methanol Derivatives Company
El Wady for Phosphate Industries and Fertilizers
Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company (Masdar)
- Advising Tahrir Petrochemicals Company on all aspects of a proposed petrochemical complex in Egypt.
- Assisted the sponsor group comprising of Phoenix Power Ventures, ib vogt GmbH and Infinity Solar with the development and financing of the 50MW solar power generation plant in Aswan, Egypt as part of the feed-in tariff programme.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers (Banque Saudi Fransi, Samba Financial Group, The National Commercial Bank and The Saudi British Bank) on the SAR2.15bn Islamic project financing for the construction of a new petrochemicals complex in Yanbu, Saudi Arabia.
Sharkawy & Sarhan
At Sharkawy & Sarhan, renewable energy and oil and gas projects are among the key industry sectors in which the firm handles finance and corporate matters. It frequently advises financial institutions, foreign investment and commercial banks, and major international companies on new projects. Heba Raslan leads the practice, in which Karim Sarhan and Mohamed Hazzaa are key names.
Deutsche Erdoel AG
- Assisted independent oil and gas exploration company Deutsche Erdoel AG with its winning bid for East Damanhour block offered in the 2018 international bid round of the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company for the exploration of natural gas.
- Assisted independent oil and gas exploration company Deutsche Erdoel AG with a Gulf of Suez concession agreement (production sharing agreement).
Ibrachy Legal Consultancy frequently acts on project finance transactions in the energy sector, among which are LPG, LNG and gasoil storage projects. Ashraf Elibrachy counts a Middle Eastern oil company among his clients.
At Riad & Riad, practice head Fatma Salah handles corporate law, energy, project finance, trade law, cross-border transactions and dispute resolution for developers, borrowers and financiers in regard to renewable energy, oil and gas, and infrastructure projects. The firm frequently handles finance, corporate matters and bidding processes for major projects and counts ExxonMobil and Eni among its clients.
GS Engineering and Construction Corporation
Sterling & Wilson
- Advised FAS FIT1 as one of the few developers that succeeded in signing the power purchase agreements for round one of the feed-in-tariff project in Benban – Upper Egypt.
- Advised ExxonMobil on the 2018 international bid round for gas exploration announced by the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Corporation.
- Assisted GS Engineering with one of the largest oil refinery projects in Egypt with a value of $500m.
Tarek Riad - Legal Consultants and Attorneys at Law handles litigation and corporate matters relating to projects in the oil and gas industry. The practice, which is led by Tarek F Riad, recently advised on exploration rights and infrastructure for the liquefaction of natural gas. The firm counts BP, Marathon Oil and Elf Oil Deutschland among its clients. Its recent litigation work included a case concerning contracts for the purchase of solar power.
Tarek F Riad