'The team is incredibly responsive and knowledgeable', says a client of Al Kamel Law Office, noting that the lawyers 'consistently deliver commercially sound advice and understand the needs of international counsel and foreign clients'. Lead partners Mohamed Kamel and Rasheed Kamel, along with newly promoted partner Shahira Khaled, advise oil and gas companies on their exploration activities, disputes, corporate matters, off-take agreements, pipeline facilities and the marketing of their products. The firm is also heavily involved in renewable energy projects.
Energy in Egypt
Mohamed Kamel; Rasheed Kamel
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is incredibly responsive and knowledgeable. They consistently deliver commercially sound advice and understand the needs of international counsel and foreign clients.’
‘Rasheed Kamel has a calm and thorough style, deeply experienced and practical in applying local law to the needs of international transactions.’
‘Shahira Khaled is an outstanding young partner with an incredible work ethic and a range of knowledge that more senior partners would envy. She is as good as any partner in an international firm and a rising star of the Egyptian bar. When you work with her, you are meeting the future of legal practice in Egypt.’
Export-Import Bank of the United States
Export Finance and Overseas Private Investment Corporation
DEG-Deutsche Investitions Bank
Oesterreichische Entwicklungsbank AG
International Finance Corporation
Helmy, Hamza & Partners (member firm of Baker & McKenzie International) is firmly established as a key advisor to the oil and gas and petrochemicals sectors, with its work encompassing upstream, E&P, pipeline, refining and downstream projects. It also advises energy companies on corporate, tax, finance, regulatory and antitrust matters. The firm is also involved in key developments in the power sector, including large renewable energy projects such as the 200MW BOO solar PV project on which it advised the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company. Mohamed Ghannam and Lamyaa Gadelhak are the lead partners.
Mohamed Ghannam; Lamyaa Gadelhak
Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company
New and Renewable Energy Authority
Ministry of Finance
Britannic Trading Limited
Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation
Al Nowais Investments LLC
- Acting for Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company, New and Renewable Energy Authority and Ministry of Finance in connection with a 200MW BOO solar PV project in Kom Ombo, Aswan.
- Acting for Hitachi on a $11bn carve-out of ABB Power Grids.
- Advised EGPC (the national oil company of Egypt) on drafting the agreements of a project involving digitising the oil and gas exploration and production industry in Egypt, something that is unprecedented in this sector.
Matouk Bassiouny & Hennawy is well versed in all aspects of the energy sector, including projects, transactions and disputes relating to oil & gas, conventional and renewable power, gas pipelines and transmission and distribution assets. Mahmoud Bassiouny is the only partner in the finance and projects group to focus on energy, but he is backed up by a large team of associates that combine expertise in commercial, industrial and finance matters for lenders, developers and corporates. Its work for Lekela Egypt Wind Power BOO is testament to its growing role in renewable energy projects.
Lekela Egypt Wind Power BOO SAE
El Sewedy Electric
Future Clean Energy
Pharos Energy (Formerly, SOCO International plc)
Alcazar Energy Partners
Ib vogt GmbH
Maridive Offshore Projects
Shapoorji Pallonji Infrastructure Capital Company
National Petroleum Construction Company PJSC
Union Fenosa Gas
Spanish Egyptian Gas Company S.A.E
Maridive Oil & Services
- Advised Lekela Egypt Wind Power BOO S.A.E. in successfully negotiating and signing project documents in relation to a 250MW wind farm project located in Ras Ghareb.
- Advising Alcazar Energy Partners in connection with the ongoing operations of four 50MW solar power plants under Round 2 of the Feed-in Tariff programme.
- Advised Total EREN in connection with the acquisition of two 50MW solar power plants operating under the Feed-in Tariff programme (Round 2).
With four partners in its project development and finance group, MHR & Partners in association with White & Case LLP has one of the largest practices in Cairo with a focus on the energy sector. The firm, which climbs the ranking, is involved in major projects for the development of offshore gas fields. It is also a key adviser to major players in the oil and renewable energy sectors, with consolidation transactions in the power sector among its recent work. Energy sector expert Ziad Gadalla co-leads the practice with global oil and gas co-head Philip Stopford and finance specialists Sherief Rashed and Tarek Mohanna.
Philip Stopford; Ziad Gadalla; Tarek Mohanna; Sherief Rashed
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very experienced in various sectors validated by the partners’ extensive presence on both the national and international fronts. What makes the team unique is their creative problem solving abilities.’
‘Ziad Gadallah and corporate partner Said Hanafi are two seasoned partners who are quite exceptional in this field. Covering a wide range of sectors and well-equipped with extensive experience, their discipline, knowledge depth, keenness to assist, responsiveness, discipline and friendliness is what separates them from others.’
Tahrir Petrochemicals Company
Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company (Masdar)
Egyptian Ethylene and Derivatives Company (Ethydco)
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC)
Suez Methanol Derivatives Company (SMD)
China State Construction and Engineering Company (CSCEC)
Energean Oil & Gas plc
Wood Technologies Company
ADES International Holding Ltd.
Sixth of October for Real Estate and Development (SODIC)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
- Advising on all aspects of the proposed multibillion-dollar Tahrir petrochemical complex in Egypt.
- Representing Masdar, the Abu Dhabi-owned energy company, on its joint venture with Infinity Energy, Egypt’s leading renewable energy developer, to develop utility-scale and distributed solar energy and wind power projects in Egypt and Africa.
- Acting as counsel to Egyptian Ethylene and Derivatives Company (Ethydco) in relation to the establishment of Polybutadiene Derivatives Unit.
The project finance group at Shalakany Law Office is involved in major transactions in both the conventional and renewable energy sector. Its recent work includes the financing of a 250MW wind farm IPP project, which is the country's second wind power IPP. It also advised a key player in the solar power sector on investment in and implementation of distribution networks. The firm also handles significant upstream matters in the oil and gas sector. Senior partner Aly El Shalakany and finance specialist Mariam Fahmy are the key practitioners.
Aly El Shalakany; Mariam Fahmy
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law has 'great experience and provides all the assistance that is needed to undertake our mission efficiently', remarks one client. Since its involvement in the first oil exploration concession in Egypt in the 1950s, the firm has remained a key adviser to the sector, as well as becoming a prominent player in the mining, power and renewable energy sector, handling the full range of corporate, finance, litigation and project-related work. Practice head Sameh Khodeir and project finance partner Sameh Kamal are the main contacts. Mohamed Gomaa left to become senior counsel at Youssef & Partners Attorneys.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm has a good reputation which results from their professionalism since its establishment up to today.’
‘The team have great experience and provide all the assistance that is needed to undertake our mission efficiently. The service of Zaki Hashem Office is excellent when comparing with other legal offices in the market.’
‘They have always supported the client in all legal consultations for proper legal assessment from a strictly legal standpoint when requested.’
Arab Federation of Petroleum Mining & Chemical Workers
Arabian Oil Company Ltd.
Dana Gas Company
Egyptian Company for Gas Services
Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC)
Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS )
ELF Energy Egypt for Generating Renewable Energy S.A.E.
El Sewedy Electric
HBS International Egypt
IEOC& AGIP ENI
IMEX International SAE
Merlon Petroleum El Fayum Company (Merlon)
Misr Wind Power S.A.E
National Petroleum Company S.A.E. (NPC)
Neptune Energy Egypt B.V.
Noble Energy, Inc.
PERENCO North Sinai Petroleum Company
Petroleum Marine Services (PMS)
Pico International Petroleum Services
Ras Ghareb Wind Energy SAE
Sahara Oil & Gas
Schlumberger Logelco, Inc.
- Acting as sole local Egyptian counsel to the Consortium of British investors in ECHEM’s $8bn Al Alamein Petrochemical Complex Project.
- Advising the Egyptian Chemical Industries Company (KIMA) on the finalisation of the EPC contract for the expansion of its ca. $100m fertilizer complex project in Aswan.
Dentons Egypt LLC
Dentons Egypt LLC frequently handles corporate and contentious matters for clients in the energy sector. Local managing partner Michael Lacey, consultant and finance specialist Frédérique Léger and senior associate Ahmed Kamal are the key contacts in a practice that counts Noble Energy and Engie among its clients. Senior legal consultant Amal Afifi Dawood advises on energy market regulation.
Other key lawyers:
Amal Afifi Dawood; Frédérique Léger; Ahmed Kamal
One of the market's leading practitioners, Donia El-Mazghouny, left Shahid Law Firm to start her own firm Mazghouny & Co in early 2020. She has quickly built up an impressive roster of clients, among which are Acciona Energia, EDF Renouvelables and Engie. The boutique firm focuses on projects and infrastructure, energy and power, construction and real estate, financing, and corporate matters. It is best known for its work in the renewable energy sector, with recent work including setting up a 200MW wind energy project for the New and Renewable Energy Authority (NREA).
Benban Solar Developers Association (BSDA)
Empower New Energy
- Advising Benban Solar Developers Association (BSDA) on the settlement of a dispute with the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company (EETC) related to the cost overrun of the Benban solar park interconnection works.
- Advising Italgen on the settlement of the dispute with the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company (EETC) related to the 320MW wind project in Gulf Elzeit.
- Advising NREA, alongside Human Dynamics, on the setup of a utility-scale wind energy project in Egypt with a 200MW capacity.
Riad & Riad has 'in-depth knowledge of Egyptian laws which makes its advice reliable', says a client who notes that 'their advice is always given in a commercial context from the perspective of the client'. The firm has experience in both local and cross-border finance transactions, including those focused on the energy, infrastructure and oil and gas sectors. Fatma Salah and Mohamed Riad lead the practice, which has recently been involved in numerous renewable energy projects and was appointed by EBRD to support private sector participation in the electricity market.
Fatma Salah; Mohamed Riad
‘Riad & Riad has an in-depth knowledge of Egyptian laws which makes its advice reliable. The team we have been dealing with are also responsive and very professional. Their advice is always given in a commercial context from the perspective of the client.’
‘They seek to use the best available IT infrastructure to enable participation in video or internet calls efficiently which is very important and commendable.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Sterling & Wilson
Al Hokair Group
Assystem for Engineering Services
- Acted for the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) among a consortium with DNV GL and CMS International Law Firm to provide comprehensive support to Egypt ERA for refining and implementing a regulatory framework.
- Acted for Eni, the Italian multinational oil and gas company, in relation to the restructuring of Damietta LNG facility as well as the settlement negotiation in relation to the $2bn arbitration award against the Egyptian Government.
- Assisted FAS Energy in drafting the MOU it signed with the New Urban Communities Authority (NUCA) to set up a waste-to-energy (WtE) facility in 10th of Ramadan City.
In 2020, Shahid Law Firm lost the head of its energy practice, Donia El-Mazghouny who started her own firm, but it remains a key adviser to the oil and gas sector. Girgis Abd El-Shahid , who has 'excellent, in-depth knowledge of the Egyptian oil and gas industry' is now the main contact and focuses primarily on energy-related litigation, investor-state disputes and project finance. The firm acts for developers and sponsors on new projects and assists with the acquisition and divestment of existing assets. 'Extremely reliable' senior associate Asmaa Badawy is a rising star.
Girgis Abd El-Shahid
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm is very responsive. The team has excellent expertise in energy and is on top of the latest developments.’
‘We worked with Shahid over the Covid-19 lockdown period and they adapted well and continued to offer an excellent service.’
‘Girgis Abd-El Shahid has excellent, in-depth knowledge of the Egyptian oil and gas industry and its players, and is able to provide very practical advice.’
‘Asmaa Badawy is extremely reliable and provides legally and commercially sound advice.’
Carlyle International Energy Partners
Globeleq Africa Limited
EDF International Network
PTT Energy Resources Company Limited (PTTER)
- Represented EDF International Network in connection with a joint venture between Egyptian French Electricity Distribution Company and the New Administrative Capital for Urban Development (ACUD) for the distribution of electricity to the New Administrative Capital.
- Advising Benban Developers Association on the semi-reconciliation claim raised by the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company (EETC) for additional costs related to the shared interconnection works in the Benban solar park.
- Advised on the acquisition of Shell’s onshore assets/interests in Western Desert (including the Badr El Din and Obaiyed area).
Sharkawy & Sarhan Law Firm has an extensive client base among developmental financial institutions, international investment and commercial banks, and major international corporations. Frequently involved in corporate and M&A transactions in the energy sector, the firm also advises on the financing of new projects. Managing associate Heba Raslan leads the energy practice, with support from corporate, project finance and oil and gas partner Ahmed Haggag, who recently acted for United Oil & Gas in a major acquisition.
Other key lawyers:
United Oil & Gas Plc (UOG)
- Advised United Oil & Gas Plc on its acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Rockhopper Egypt Pty Ltd from Rockhopper Exploration plc.
- Advised Zarubezhneft on all Egyptian law matters concerning the acquisition of a contractor participating interest in two offshore oil concessions in Egypt.
- Advising Kufpec Egypt Limited part of the Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company (KUFPEC) group, in relation to the newly awarded North Ras Kanayes offshore concession agreement in the Mediterranean. (EGAS).
Zulficar & Partners Law Firm joins the ranking on the strength of its work in energy-related transactions and disputes, including the negotiation and drafting of upstream and downstream contracts, and the prosecution of energy arbitration cases. The firm counts among its clients Total, PICO Energy and the New and Renewable Energy Authority. Renowned arbitrator Mohamed Abdel Wahab leads the two-partner practice. Youssef Al Saman also handles international arbitration in the energy sector, as well as complex projects and cross-border commercial transactions.
Mohamed Abdel Wahab
Other key lawyers:
Youssef Al Saman; Omar Abdel Aziz
‘The firm has a strong transactional background allied with an excellent arbitration team. It has very good upstream knowledge.’
‘Mohamed Abdel Wahab is an exceptional arbitration practitioner. The Zulficar team in Cairo is unparalleled in its level of expertise and standard of practice. They operate at the same level as global firms and their delivery is consistently excellent.’
‘They have caught up very quickly following the pandemic on technology and were one of the first firms in the Middle East region to embrace the use of technology as a replacement for hearings and events.’
‘Mohamed Abdel Wahab is a brilliant practitioner who is at the top of the international arbitration field globally. His understanding of and experience in international arbitration are matched by few.’
‘Very knowledgeable, responsive, brilliant and accurate. The firm has an excellent capability to tackle the issue and find solutions. Mohamed Abdel Wahab is a very strong litigator and legal strategist.’
‘Dr. Mohamed Abdel Wahab is one of the best litigators and arbitration experts I have met. He is extremely efficient, reliable and is able to go the extra mile, while being innovative and brilliant.’
‘Mohamed Abdel Wahab is a brilliant arbitration lawyer and arbitrator. Importantly, he is one of the most hardworking individuals in the field. His working ethos and common sense approach to complex legal problems are outstanding.’
‘We have worked with Zulficar & Partners for several years now, and they continue to surprise me with their inordinate and, in my experience, unique, ability to come up with insightful angles and ideas in an incredibly short time. It is a pleasure to work with them.’
‘Prof. Dr Mohamed Abdel Wahab is extremely talented providing a full spectrum service as firm senior managing partner, arbitration expert, arbitrator with a deep understanding and empathy for the commercial context. Reactive and directive simultaneously, it is obvious that he inspires enthusiasm amongst his team and confidence to the clients.’
‘Senior associate Omar Abdel Aziz offers rapid and insightful support and has often come up with highly valuable guidance and ideas.’
Cheiron Zaafarana Petroleum Company Limited
Bawabet Al Kuwait Holding (BKH)
Egyptian Fertilizers Company (EFC)
New and Renewable Energy Authority (NREA)
- Represented Taqa Arabia, a leading energy group in an Electricity Authority dispute over a power station against South Valley a cement manufacturer company.
- Co-counsel with Clifford Chance in a treaty based ICSID arbitration case involving the Kuwait-Egypt BIT breaches.
- Represented a major fertilizers company (Egyptian Fertilizers Company “EFC”/ Orascom Construction Industries “OCI”) in an oil and gas dispute over the supply and pricing of natural gas under an agreement concluded between EFC and the state-owned entities EGAS and GASCO.
Marghany Advocates has a strong track record in the financing of projects in the oil and gas sector. Its work spans advice on corporate matters, as well as project development for terminals, pipelines and production facilities. The group counts Chile's state oil, gas and refineries company Enap Sipetrol and Egyptian oil company PetroShahd among its clients. Amir Marghany is the lead partner.
Riad, Saleh & Partners joins the ranking thanks to the work of two partners, Mohamed Saleh and Hesham Riad, in upstream, downstream and mid-stream projects in the oil and gas sector. The firm acts for local and international companies on matters including concession agreements and gas supply contracts. Founding partner and head of corporate Saleh also has experience in advising financial institutions on LNG and oil trading matters.
Mohamed Saleh; Hesham Riad
‘It is one of the rare firms who work in energy within the Egyptian market. The team is very diversified in experience and can handle different areas legal issues.’
‘Each one of the team has his own edge and can handle energy matters effectively. They are a very special team with great experience.’
‘They are so practical and informative and know how to close cross-border deals. The team members are very well organised and their performance is outstanding.’
‘They are excellent, providing outstanding legal services, and they are very responsive.’
‘They have experts to support each function in the business. We are really experiencing a high standard of legal services with highly informative lawyers.’
‘They understand the business and provide both quality and responsiveness.’
Air Liquide Group
Chubb Life Insurance
Integrated Diagnostics Holdings (IDH)
Golden West Seeds
Tokio Marine Insurance
Ahram Security Group
Al Borg Laboratories
Echo Scan Nigeria
Echo Lab Nigeria
Tarek Riad - Legal Consultants and Attorneys at Law, which was formerly known as Kosheri, Rashed & Riad, advises litigation and corporate matters relating to oil and gas projects. The practice, which is led by Tarek F Riad, has experience in exploration rights and infrastructure development in the LNG, oil and gas sectors, as well as handling renewable energy projects. It counts international energy majors including BP and Marathon Oil among its clients.
Tarek F Riad