IT and telecoms in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP’s client roster includes entities from both the private and public sectors, encompassing industries such as financial services, insurance, retail, health, energy and construction. London-based Declan Cushley leads the department, which also runs a dedicated legal support programme for start-up companies. His team is well-regarded for high-profile outsourcing transactions, while other areas of specialist knowledge include fintech projects, disruptive technologies, data protection, crypto technologies and cloud computing matters.
Other key lawyers:
Paula Dumbill; Selina Hinchliffe;
Crown Prosecution Service
Manchester Underwriting Management
The National Trust
Itelligence Business Solutions (UK) Limited
Metro Bank plc
Copley Scientific Limited
FMD IT Limited
The Salvation Army Trustee Company
Red Box Recorders
- Acted for Green Room Retail Design Limited on the creation of two precedent framework agreements for the business: one general framework agreement for the purchase of goods and services from third party providers, and another that concerned the purchase of digital services.
- Advising a global manufacturer and distributor of water heating systems in its defence of a claim by IBM for under-licensing.
- Instructed by Red Box Recorders Limited to negotiate and draft several large IT outsourcing agreements and commercial supply agreements.
- Advising FMD IT Limited on the implementation of its new software system which has been specifically developed to enable pharmacies and wholesale businesses to be fully compliant with the upcoming EU Falsified Medicines Directive
- Supporting Branston Limited from the beginning of a major business transformation project to implement an ERP system.
At Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP, practice head Nick Blane is a go-to for a wide variety of commercial IT contracts, including system development, e-commerce, management arrangements, data protection, outsourcing, procurement and supply. In addition to serving the private sector, the firm also acts for many public sector clients, including central government departments, local government, policing institution and education bodies.
Other key lawyers:
The ‘incredibly responsive’ practice at Howes Percival LLP is renowned for its delivering of ‘client-focused solutions’. On the contentious front, areas of particular experience include IT contract disputes, IP infringements and acting on threats to suspend the provision of vital services. Key strengths in the non-contentious sphere span software development, maintenance and licensing, app development and outsourcing agreements, as well as data protection and security issues. Matthew Talbot heads up the practice.
Other key lawyers:
James Howarth; Jennna Bruce;
‘Both Matthew Talbot and Jenna Bruce offer excellent advice and are always willing to accommodate. It’s also a real pleasure to talk to them and engage with them’.
Business Software Alliance, Inc. (“BSA”)
Global Reach Technology Limited
Getronics UK Limited
Retail Assist Limited
University of Coventry
Internetwork Media Limited
- Instructed as sole representatives in the UK on behalf of the BSA whose members include Microsoft, Adobe, Siemens, Autodesk to act against UK based companies who are not properly licensed when using the software of its members.
- Advising the client in relation to numerous IT transactions throughout the year dealing with household names on the other side.
- Advising the client on the terms of various IT agreements for the provision of IT services in the course of proposed corporate acquisitions.
- Advising Getronics on the terms of various IT agreements for the provision of IT services in the course of proposed corporate acquisitions.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited excels in both contentious and non-contentious matters. Leading the contentious practice is Emma Ward, who assists clients with all aspects of software-related claims, including copyright, breach of confidence and database rights. On the non-contentious side, key contact Harpreet Sandhu handles outsourcing and IT projects, licensing and maintenance, software development, ownership, online sales, data protection compliance and IP-related matters.
Emma Ward; Harpreet Sandhu;
- Advised the software developer client on GDPR compliance with respect to data transfers to India under its ‘software as a service’ licensing documents and acted for the client in a claim for infringement of copyright, database rights, breach of confidence and contract in the High Court.
- Advised the client on a software assignment acquiring ownership of software from a former partner.
- Advises software developer client in claim for infringement of the copyright in its software.
- Advised client on ownership of copyright in software created prior to joining their employer but subsequently utilised by the employer.
- Advised client on copyright infringement and breach of database rights, arising out of breach of NDA.
Ed Wright; Martin Noble;
‘An excellent understanding of the sector and requirements within this area. Easy to work with. Provides practical and easily useable advice’.
‘Knowledgeable group with a strong service focus. Enjoyable to work with’.
Financechain – trading as Software Escrow Solutions
Black Light Systems
- Advising TheCarerooms on contractual and commercial issues.
- Advising Parcelhub on strategic partnering template agreement to cover all third-party arrangements.
- Advising roadtohealth Group Limited on contractual and commercial issues.
- Assisting Ecommonsense with preparing suitable terms and conditions/contractual arrangements governing supply of software solution and related services.
- Assisting Mylocummanager with preparing suitable terms and conditions governing online service access and use.
Hailed by clients for its ‘good understanding of IT contractual matters’, BHW Solicitors’ department is led by the ‘knowledgeable’ Matt Worsnop. Its specialist areas include software and licensing agreements, IT project tenders, software infrastructure projects, website development and app agreements. Other pillars of the practice are M&A, restructures and refinancings of software and IT companies. Mandates from the virtual reality and app industries are on the increase.
Lavendon Group / Loxam
Nationwide Platforms Limited
VR Simulation Systems Ltd
Eclipse Group Solutions Limited
Earlybird Technologies Limited
Vehicle Vision Limited
- Prepared new template agreement for VR Simulation Systems Ltd for use with all new clients.
- Prepared new template development for Twin3 Limited for use with all new clients.
- Advised a client on a SaaS agreement
- Advised a client on the terms of a draft reseller agreement.
At Geldards LLP, Michelle Craven-Faulkner covers the full spectrum of matters in the ICT sector. Her extensive experience in the industry includes advising on the creation of social networking sites, the development and commercialisation of apps, software CGI and holograms, along with e-commerce matters. She heads the practice alongside Jamie Goldberg, who is well-versed when it comes to high-value transactions in the IT space.
Michelle Craven-Faulkner; Jamie Goldberg
‘They have a strong technical knowledge on IT and law yet are able to explain the key points so that general management and business are able to understand them. This keeps the business on track and also enables the right decisions to be made.’
‘The team has an easy approach, good communications and a sense of humour.’
Arha Labs Limited
Derby County Football Club
Development Bank of Wales PLC
Grand Bazaar Group Limited
Horizon Industries International Limited
INIT Innovations in Transportation Limited
SALCS Installations Limited
- Advised the Development Bank of Wales PLC on its agreement with Target Services for the IT systems and support services needed to manage the £454m Help to Buy Wales on behalf of the Welsh Government.
- Advising a multinational IT solutions and consultancy provider in respect of its data protection policies and procedures across the company group.
- Supporting Userbrain Limited, a digital agency creating apps and services.
- Represented a restaurant in relation to its cancellation terms and conditions, and data protection arrangements in the context of the changes brought forward by GDPR.
- Represented an international travel agency in connection with the appointment of major telephony and IT solutions partners in 2018.