Browne Jacobson LLP's preeminent full-service Midlands IT team continues to be a go-to counsel for IT transformational projects across a broad range of sectors, from procurement of hardware and software through to systems integration, fintech and block chain solutions. Kay Chand is the key name in Nottingham; she provides end-to end expertise in the areas of health, insurance, financial institutions and central government.
IT and telecoms in East Midlands
Ageas Insurance Limited
Globus Medical Inc
Clean Power Hydrogen
Lotus Cars Limited
UK Power Networks
PZ Cussons Beauty LLP
Greenwood Academies Trust
Cloud Technology Solutions
Crown Prosecution Services
National Audit Office
Kings College London
Nottingham Ice Arena
Exel technology Group
- Advised CHAS 2013 Limited on a partnership arrangement in respect of an online capability for the ability for members and contractors to create risk assessments and method statements online.
- Advising the National Audit Office on its critical auditing software which will be a cloud based solution implemented through an agile contracting model.
- Acted for the NHS Commissioning Board as part of their Future Services Programme; a disaggregation of their existing services (under the incumbent contract) into separate towers of services.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP acts for clients ranging from FTSE 250 firms, international companies and start-ups across the full spectrum of technology law, including AI, product counselling, cybersecurity, technology and cyber litigation and breaches, among others. Charlotte Walker-Osborn heads the global artificial intelligence practice and specialises in open source software licensing, mobile and e-commerce and M&A related technology advice. From the firm's Nottingham base, Nick Blane works on large scale public sector IT and outsourcing projects. Gayle McFarlane and Joanne Finch are also of note.
Charlotte Walker-Osborn; Nick Blane
Other key lawyers:
Gayle McFarlane; Joanne Finch; Gayle MacFarlane
‘Technically excellent and super efficient.’
Urbn (Urbn Outfitters)
Driving Standards Agency
Insig AI plc
- Advising National Highways in connection with the relet of the Department for Transport’s Free Flow Charging contract which relates to automated electronic road user charging at the Dartford Crossing on the M25.
- Advised the Driving and Vehicles Standards Agency on the high-profile and extremely complex outsourcing of the theory test element of the GB driving test.
- Acted for AstraZeneca in 2020 and 2021 as an independent advisory in relation to putting in place the global business’ ethical approach and governance in relation to deployment and use of artificial intelligence globally.
Howes Percival LLP continues to build its bench strength following Paula Dumbill ‘s recruitment last year, with the addition Chris White, who joined from Dentons; he likewise has a broad practice spanning hardware procurement, SaaS/PaaS agreements, and licensing, among other areas. The practice is co-led by litigator Matthew Talbot and Hannah Steggles .
Matthew Talbot; Paula Dumbill; Hannah Steggles
Other key lawyers:
‘Very proactive and gives clear advice, with a speedy turnaround. Sticks to agreed timescales and communications are excellent.’
‘Hannah Steggles is very pragmatic in her approach to a brief and takes the time to understand the clients requirements. Producing a balanced agreement whilst protecting the clients interest requires a balanced approach, which Hannah has.’
‘Working with Howes Percival is so easy – a true business partner. Great advice, great suggestions. I’m always pleased to have them in my corner.’
‘All of the those I work with at Howes Percival are just great. The best compliment I can offer is that they’re so down-to-earth, but super-smart with it. It’s like having extended members of our own team. Hannah Steggles and Matt Talbot are worthy of special mention.’
Business Software Alliance (BSA)
Getronics UK Limited
Just Hype Limited
Internetwork Media Limited
- Advised Just Hype in relation to e-commerce strategy including reviewing and advising upon e-commerce agreements.
- Advising Autodesk Inc on protection strategies.
Harpreet Sandhu is the main contact at Nelsons Solicitors Limited for product development, outsourcing, licensing and IT projects. On the contentious side, Emma Toes has considerable experience in claims that relate to infringement of the rights that subsist in software, such as copyright, confidential information and database rights.
Emma Toes; Harpreet Sandhu
Shakespeare Martineau LLP‘s Ed Wright has over 20 years’ experience advising on the full gamut of IT projects for various suppliers and purchasers of IT services. He also works alongside the commercial team on acquisitions of telecoms businesses. E-commerce, licensing and outsourcing agreements and data protection are other key areas for the team.
Nemaura Medical Inc./Dermal Diagnostics Limited
Financechain Limited t/a SES
JTF Marketing Limited
The Mae Deli Limited t/a Deliciously Ella
Spirit Health Group Limited
Skeleton Productions Limited
Purpose Media Limited
Mylocummanager UK Limited
Replay Maintenance Limited
Walkin Limited t/a WalkUp
- Advising Purpose Media on the re-clarification of IP ownership/licensing arrangements arising out of several client portal/website development projects and their applicable contracts.
- Advised and prepared a suitable cross-border SAAS reseller agreement template and SAAS-related EULA template, with particular focus on the IP provisioning and licence grants in each for The Spirit Health Group.
- Advising on Numara Medical Inc./Dermal Diagnostics’ proposed new EU and US in-app purchase arrangements, the potentially applicable Apple/Google fees and methods of circumventing such fees.
BHW Solicitors' team handles software infrastructure projects as well as M&A, and restructuring and refinancing of software, telecoms and IT companies. The ‘incredibly helpful, considerate and responsive’ Matt Worsnop (also a qualified electronic systems engineer in software development), specialises in IT contracts, advising on software development, licence, hosting and implementation agreements.
‘Always very helpful and clear about the work they are undertaking. Always very good at coming back and being clear in the work they are undertaking.’
‘BHW have been exceptional. When we engage with BHW, our expectations are always far exceeded. BHW have expert knowledge of the IT industry and legal implications of associated business decisions within the sector. Their experience of the IT sector is evident and reassuring.’
‘Matt Worsnop always brings considerations to our attention that we would never have thought of. They include practical considerations that are tailored to us and our position. This gives us confidence in the business decisions that we make which is invaluable. Matt never oversells, he doesn’t pressure us and yet he’s receptive and engaging.’
‘Matt Worsnop – he’s been incredibly helpful, considerate and responsive. He’s taken time to understand our needs and to draft contracts that are cost effective for us and are palatable to our clients.’
‘Matt Worsnop provides an excellent service, always makes himself available to answer questions and to perform contract review. I find his advice invaluable.’
Lavendon Group / Loxam
Nationwide Platforms Limited
Vehicle Vision Limited
Atomic Multimedia Consultants Limited
Forward Action Ltd
Viva IT Limited
Best Path Limited
Creative Software Solutions (Europe) Limited
Netdocs Digital Mailroom Solutions Ltd
AutoProtect (MBI) Ltd
- Prepared entirely new SaaS Agreement for Netdocs Digital Mailroom Solutions Ltd to use with all of its future clients.
- Prepared entirely new Master Services Agreement for BestPath Limited to use with all of its future clients.
- Prepared entirely new SaaS Agreement for Viva IT Ltd to use for its Infinity system.
At Geldards LLP, corporate and commercial contracts lawyer Jamie Goldberg predominantly works on IT agreements, advising clients including ticketing businesses, software developers and major IT service providers.
‘Very personable team able to flex their support brilliantly to meet my requirements.’
‘Jamie Goldberg is always available to help or very quickly obtain the right person, and this is very much appreciated.’
Leva Capital Partners
- Advised Leva Capital Partners on the regulatory considerations to operate an investment platform in the UK.