Construction in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP's 'highly knowledgeable and efficient' team in Nottingham acts for contractors, consultants and developers in major national and international construction projects. In addition to providing full-service advice on non-contentious matters, it also represents clients in disputes. Michael Sadler, who leads on many of the firm's key mandates, advised an international contractor on its preparation of various construction documents facilitating the procurement of high-quality fit-out works across a range of locations in Europe and Africa. Senior associate Mark Stubbs predominantly advises national contractors and developers on contractual agreements and contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Michael Sadler – always available and never misses a trick.’
Bowmer & Kirland Ltd
British Gas/ Centrica
Clegg Construction Limited and Clegg Food Limited
Elevate property group
ilke Homes Limited
J Coffey Construction Limited
J Tomlinson Limited
NMCN Plc (formerly North Midland Construction)
Nottingham Forest Football Club
Sir Robert McAlpine Limited
Wildgoose Construction Limited
Willmott Dixon Construction Limited
Legendre UK Limited
- Advised Mace Limited on the International Master Service Agreements and preparation of step-downs to three international data centres each with a value in excess of €1bn.
- Assisted Ilke Homes with a suite of modular construction contracts for use by a leading manufacturer of modular homes.
- Advised J Coffey Construction on bringing a £3.5m loss and expense claim.
Freeths LLP's Nottingham team works seamlessly with the firm's nationwide real estate practice, enabling it to take on work from large corporates and major developers. Chris Holwell focuses on advising all parties in large construction projects on procurement and development. Amy Morley is particularly strong in high-value disputes and mediations arising from issues during construction projects. Holwell recently advised Siglion on the construction contracts underpinning the development of a new council headquarters in Sunderland. Associates John Kelly and Karen Hargrave are also recommended.
‘The team takes a very commercial approach and quickly understands my objectives.’
‘The service levels are first class and exceed that of other firms.’
‘Chris Holwell leads our team and his advice is exemplary.’
Nottingham Trent University
GF Tomlinson Group Limited
London Luton Airport
Travis Perkins Plc
- Advising developer Glenbrook MC on a project to deliver residential apartments at Media City, Manchester in a mix of one, two and three-bedroom apartments with residents’ facilities, a gym and retail.
- Assisting Aldi with the contracts for the construction of their growing network of regional distribution centres in Eire, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
- Advising Tarmac on the contracts for the supply of batching plants and ready mixed concrete for a major package within the HS2 (High Speed Two railway) project.
Geldards LLP's Derby team has particular expertise in renewable energy, education and motor retail projects. It advises a diverse range of clients, including developers, contractors, lenders and public bodies, in relation to developments throughout the East Midlands. 'Extremely proactive' partner Chris Hawrylak excels in regeneration projects, funding transactions (in which he primarily acts for banks) and general commercial developments. Associate Della Copley is active in infrastructure projects and commercial developments. In a recent mandate, Hawrylak and Copley advised Chesterfield Borough Council on the design and build of an Enterprise Centre for start-ups and medium-sized businesses.
Other key lawyers:
‘When Geldards act for you on a matter, they provide you with a sense of confidence that they are addressing all material considerations which the transaction may exhibit and providing relevant advice/guidance.’
‘Chris Hawrylak is the bank’s point of contact for all construction matters and has been for some time. The level of service he provides, along with his knowledge of construction provides great comfort when he acts for the bank on transactions.’
Bowmer & Kirkland Group
Walgreens Boots Alliance
CWC Group / Clowes Developments (UK) Limited / Dove Valley Park Limited
Miller Birch/Cedar Investments Limited
Sheffield City Council
Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council
Nottingham City Council
Derby City Council
The Council of the City of Carlisle
Chesterfield Borough Council
South Derbyshire District Council
Warrington Borough Council
Julian Hodge Bank Limited
Development Bank of Wales
Principality Building Society
PPH1 Ltd & DPK East
Nottingham Regeneration Limited
Sutco UK Limited
- Advised Nottingham College on the acquisition, construction and funding of the College’s new ‘Skills Hub’ at Broadmarsh East, Nottingham.
- Assist Clowes Development as an integral part of their professional team to deliver mid to large-sized units for the industrial and logistics sector, which involves negotiating complex conditional build agreements and forward funding documents.
- Advise Derby City Council on a wide range of matters enabling it to regenerate its commercial property and leisure portfolio.
Based in Nottingham, Shakespeare Martineau LLP predominantly advises developers on all aspects of construction projects. The team's further expertise includes handling disputes before the TCC and through mediation and arbitration. Alex Smith specialises in drafting all forms of construction documents, including standard and bespoke forms of contract, collateral warranties and parent company guarantees, with a particular focus on the healthcare and higher education sectors. Brendan Walsh has notable expertise in large-scale real estate projects, including renewable energy and regeneration initiatives.
Other key lawyers:
Aimrok Investment Leicester Limited
Shoby Properties Limited
Graystacks Radmarsh Road Limited
Upperton Road Leicester Limited
6 Balfour Place Limited
Leicester Lettings (Leicester Lettings (2016) Limited
Code Students Limited
Everards Brewery Limited
Zone Developments (Leicester) Limited
Pre (Leicester) Limited
Romo (Holdings) Limited
Rotherhill Developments Limited
Jessops Construction Limited
Garner Holdings Limited
Maber Associates Limited
Wilson Bowden Developments Limited
- Advised developer Leicester Lettings on its £50 million development of private rented sector (PRS) apartments for Cording Real Estate.
- Advised Code Students on its 1,192-room development in Coventry, ensuring the first completed units could be occupied.
- Advising Everards Brewery on the latest phases of its high profile flagship brewery and leisure scheme development in Leicester.
Buckles Solicitors LLP's Nottingham team advises clients on all stages of construction projects, with particular expertise in affordable housing, student accommodation, leisure, waste and renewable energy developments. James Coppinger frequently advises clients on procurement, transactions and contentious matters. Senior associate Charles Jakeman specialises in construction and engineering projects, commercial development and procurement.
Other key lawyers:
Empiric Student Property PLC (and group companies)
Settle Group/Rowan Homes (NNHH) Limited
Longhurst Group Limited
Keystone Developments Limited
MAKE Consulting Limited
Taylor French Developments Limited
7 Formation Limited
Forshaw Land & Property Group Ltd
INTEC Engineering GmbH
Hill Partnerships Ltd
- Advised Empiric on its national student accommodation development programme.
- Advised 7FL on a range of matters, including procurement, construction and dispute resolution.
- Advised a consultant on procurement in relation to a range of documents including consultant appointments, framework agreements and collateral warranties.
Gateley Plc's team, which is spread between the firm's Nottingham and Leicester offices, handles various disputes arising from construction projects, including professional negligence, defective designs and delay claims. The firm is also well-versed in development work, which includes advising developers on contractual agreements and acting for banks on project finance transactions. Piet van Gelder has thirty years of experience in construction and engineering projects, and also has a strong track record of handling project disputes. Senior associate William Cursham is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Jaguar Land Rover
Crest Nicholson Plc
- Advised JR Pickstock on a £35m dispute concerning the completion and compliance with an agreement for lease of modular apartment blocks in Plymouth.
- Advised Clowes Group on a mixed-use development project, which included drafting all construction documents.
- Acted for Elements (Europe) in an adjudication enforcement hearing, managing to reduce the client’s liability by 80% and subsequently reach a settlement.