Professional negligence in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP advises clients at every single stage of the insurance cycle. Key clients include long-term client Hiscox, among other leading names in the industry. The firm has extensive experience and expertise in dealing with policy coverage matters. Practice head Jonathan Newbold has an 'unrivalled knowledge' of the sector and adopts a 'real commercial approach'. Clients praise the team for its 'sound judgement' and 'personable' manner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very sound judgment and a strong team, both at partner level and below.’
‘They are personable and as such they are easy to build a rapport with and trust that they will do the best for our Insured’s. They have great analytical skills but also keep in mind the commerciality and reality of the situation and are great communicators to both ourselves and the Insured’s.’
‘THE go to firm for complex insurance litigation and policy advice. Punches above its weight and the best around as far as we are concerned.’
‘Jonathan Newbold – unrivalled knowledge of the sector combined with a real commercial approach.’
Bar Mutual Indemnity Fund
International Insurance Company of Hannover SE
Arthur J Gallagher Insurance Brokers Ltd
Aston Scott Lark
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
Zurich Insurance Plc
Flint Bishop LLP
Flint Bishop LLP's group, which acts for businesses and individuals, has considerable experience of bringing claims against all types of professionals, in particular solicitors, brokers and surveyors. Commercial insurance claims are an area of growth for the team, which is led by Lorna Trueman. Nick Wells is also a key individual.
Other key lawyers:
- Acting for a major property developer in a claim worth c£9m against a firm of quantity surveyors for losses arising out of negligent construction costs plans for a large grade A office development.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited acts for a wide range of clients on high value claims involving high-net-worth individuals, sports professionals, individuals and commercial and property businesses. The firm also assists professionals with defending claims where there is no insurance cover. Practice head Daniel Brumpton has vast experience of professional negligence-related litigation. Cathryn Selby specialises in high value, complex claims. Clients describe the team as 'approachable' and 'proactive'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Only really dealt with Cathyrn Selby, Partner. This is the first prof neg claim I have brought against anyone. Overall I was very impressed by the advice given to me. Cathryn knew the detail of my case and was able to form a very good and clear view of the merits and risks in my case. The advice was clear both verbally and in writing and Cathryn had the ability to communicate things in quite simple terms so I could understand as a non-lawyer.’
‘Approachable, proactive, and sympathetic to the needs of the client.’
Pure Legal Services Ltd
Potential Group Action – against the Woodford Fund and/or Hargreaves Lansdown
- Acted for professional footballer, Chedwyn Evans in respect of a professional negligence claim against his former solicitors.
- Acting as solicitor agent for Pure Legal Services Limited and on behalf of clients who have been missold interest only mortgages.
- Acting for a small group of investors who wish to investigate the merits of claim against either the Woodford Fund or Hargreaves Lansdown (for continuing to recommend the Woodford Fund as one of their 50 Best Buys).
Shakespeare Martineau LLP acts for both claimants and defendants in professional negligence cases. On the defendant side, clients include solicitors, accountants, barristers, independent financial advisers, pension trustees and SIPP operators. The main contact in Nottingham is legal director Kendal Litherland, who specialises in claimant-side professional negligence work, and is praised for his 'attention to detail' and 'professional' approach.
Other key lawyers:
‘The partners I have worked with are clearly at the top of their game. The attention to detail and thoroughness is refreshing. In particular Kendal Litherland has demonstrated all of these qualities.’
‘Kendal Litherland unlike any other solicitor I’ve come across has an in depth understanding of the subtle points of my case. He is professional and highly knowledgeable of his specialist area of law.’
‘This practice seems very efficient, approachable and friendly to us, and we recommend them to others.’
- Acted for Wayne Charlton in landmark FOS decision as to the extent of a SIPP operator’s duty to carry out due diligence checks on unregulated and high-risk investments before allowing them to be held within a SIPP.
Smith Partnership has a strong focus on claimant professional negligence work, and acts for a wide range of private individuals and businesses. Practice head Alison Neate, who is an accredited commercial mediator, provides 'clear concise and sensible advice'.
‘I have been dealing with partner Alison Neate. It is clear that she has a superb support team around her. There are also other partners available with a similar skill set should they be needed.’
‘I have been dealing mainly with partner Alison Neate. She gives clear concise and sensible advice. She does so promptly and knows when to, for example, call in counsel for additional support. Alison is very approachable and readily available and takes a broad view of the problem.’
- Acting for retired dental surgeon, forced to retire on health grounds, in a professional liability claim against her financial advisors, who sold her an unsuitable insurance policy which failed to meet her financial needs when she became unable to practice dentistry. The value of the claim is 240k +. Court proceedings have been issued.
- Acting for a group of claimants whose financial advisor had advised them to invest their life savings into a fraudulent scheme. The value of the claim is 700k+. Court proceedings have been issued.
- Acting for a retired veterinary surgeon in a claim against his accountants in connection with negligent personal tax advice related to his exit from the business.