Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP has a sizeable defendant clinical negligence and personal injury practice with a national reach. Led by UK clinical negligence practice head Lorna Hardman, the team specialises in complex and high-value cases, with a notable strength in mandates involving complex brain injuries, wrongful birth, group litigation and serious spinal injuries. The firm's personal injury practice is spread across commercial insurance, health, social care and education. Key growth areas for the firm include abuse in a sport and faith context. Sarah Erwin-Jones is noted for her 'exceptional experience' of defending high-profile sex abuse claims. Susan Mabbott and Laura Hughes are also recommended.
‘The team have an excellent knowledge and over the years we have built a good working relationship. The advice they provide is always of good quality to assist us in making decisions on the progress of claims. I feel we have an honest and open relationship and that they are willing to help if we need them.’
‘The real strength of the team is its strength in depth. It has excellent practitioners at all levels from partner down to junior associate and legal executive. Its use of technology to facilitate working is also second to none.’
‘Sarah Erwin-Jones is a partner of exceptional experience who has a very deep understanding of the needs of local authority clients and the pressures that are involved in defending high-profile sex abuse claims.’
Birmingham City Council
Derbyshire County Council
Gallagher Bassett International Limited
Insurance London Consortium
Marine Management Organisation
Markel (UK) Limited
Medical Protection Society
Municipal Mutual Insurance
Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
Peterborough City Council
Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospital of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
Zurich Municipal Insurance
- Successfully represented Norfolk County Council at trial in a claim concerning the sexual assault of one employee by another in the workplace.
- Represented NHS Resolution at the High Court in London where liability had been admitted for the death of the claimant’s baby and the trial related to the nature and extent of the claimant’s psychiatric injury, which developed 2 years later.
- Successfully defended a clinical negligence case at trial, whereby the claimant alleged the clinicians involved had dishonestly recorded entries in his medical records.
Flint Bishop LLP
Flint Bishop LLP's team handles a wide range of matters involving complex insurance disputes, MIB technical committee cases, fraudulent personal injury claims and claims involving catastrophic injuries. Raj Sumal has recently been promoted as practice head. Other developments included Nigel Partridge joining from Shakespeare Martineau LLP. Jonathan Gilbert is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Haven Insurance Company Limited
Belron UK Ltd T/A Autoglass
Derbyshire County Council
Rapid Vehicle Management
Chief Vehicle Rentals
- Assisted an insurer client with using CCTV footage to obtain a £100k settlement, saving the client £1m.
- Successfully defendedd an insurance company in a case worth nearly £30k, where it was found that the claimant had been fundamentally dishonest.
- Achieved a £159k settlement against £800k reserve for an insurer client.
Weightmans LLP specialises in acting on behalf of defendants in personal injury claims which involve casualty, motor, disease and abuse type claims. The firm is a strategic advisor to both the Motor Insurers' Bureau ('MIB') and NHS Resolution. The recruitment of Paul Ryman-Tubb, the former Chief Technical Officer at the Motor Insurers Bureau, has bolstered the firm's presence in the motor market. Practice head Dave Cottam focuses exclusively on catastrophic personal injury claims.
Other key lawyers:
Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB)
AIG Europe Insurance
First Central Insurance
- Acted for the three interveners (Association of British Orchestras, UK Theatre, Society of London Theatre) on a pro bono basis in the Court of Appeal concerning a professional musician on his claim for noise induced hearing loss.
- Represented the defendant in a claim concerning an individual sustaining a below knee amputation from a road traffic accident.
- Acted for Nottinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service in a claim concerning the claimant allegedly ingesting water through his mouth and nose during a training exercise, and subsequently developing symptoms including gastric illness, an upper respiratory tract infection and loss of his senses of taste and smell.