Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant in East Midlands
Browne Jacobson LLP provides 'an excellent and timely service’ to a roster of health, social care, commercial insurance and local authority clients. In the clinical negligence space, the group has expertise in cerebral palsy and other matters involving brain damage and catastrophic injuries. The firm's personal injury work includes cases involving sexual and physical abuse, as well as highway and Human Rights Act matters. Elsewhere, the firm's strength in child abuse litigation has recently seen it generate work from faith organisations, as well as clients from the sports and education sectors. Lorna Hardman and Susan Mabbott jointly lead the team. Sarah Erwin-Jones is another notable figure.
Lorna Hardman and Susan Mabbott
Other key lawyers:
Simon Tait; Sarah Erwin-Jones; James Arrowsmith;
‘They seem capable of taking a good overview of a case and, unlike some other firms, do not become embroiled in detail and lose perspective‘.
‘They always have the interests of their clients at the front of their minds‘.
‘Fee-earners are always well prepared and sensible in the advice they give‘.
‘Sarah Erwin-Jones, is a stand out practitioner. She has a significant amount of experience and is a formidable opponent‘.
‘Lorna Hardman is an excellent partner, who has specialised in medical law since the start of her career. She is a very good lawyer who has superb commercial judgment‘.
‘Sarah Erwin-Jones is the partner managing the abuse team. She is clear and concise in her advice, and practical and approachable. Her team includes experienced associates who are also very knowledgeable and appreciate the wider aspects at play in claims of this nature‘.
‘The firm was one of the first in the country to develop a real specialism in the area of child abuse and social services negligence litigation. The insurance team in Nottingham has been at the forefront of this area of law for more than 25 years‘
Birmingham City Council
Derbyshire County Council
Gallagher Bassett International Limited
George Eliot Hospital NHS Trust
Insurance London Consortium
Lincolnshire County Council
Markel (UK) Limited
Medical Protection Society
Municipal Mutual Insurance
Norfolk County Council
Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust
Peterborough City Council
Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Southend University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Stoke City Council
Suffolk County Council
The Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust
University Hospital of Derby and Burton NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
- Acted for NFU Mutual Insurance Services Ltd in the successful recovery of costs in a precedent-setting case involving allegations of fraud.
- Successfully defended NHS Resolution in a case where the claimant had sustained nerve injury as a result of hip surgery.
- Represented Leicester City Council in a precedent-setting case on multi-agency meetings; leave is being sought to appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- Assisted NHS Resolution /Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust with negotiating a settlement in a brain damage case, which saved the NHS several million pounds.
- Acted for University Hospitals of Derby and Burton at a high-profile inquest into the death of a 48 year old mother of three from an undiagnosed sub-arachnoid haemorrhage (i.e. a bleed on the brain).
Flint Bishop LLP's practitioners are ‘trained to a high standard, highly professional and intensely enthusiastic’. The team is adept in all forms of defendant insurance litigation, representing a client base which includes government agencies, insurance companies and national self-insured corporations. Its portfolio of work includes several complex large loss claims involving catastrophic injuries, such as those arising from road traffic accidents (RTAs), among other scenarios. Fraudulent personal injury claims and industrial disease cases are also areas of activity. Qamer Ghafoor leads the rapidly growing practice, which recently expanded further with the arrivals of Kiran Ryatt and Laura O’Connor from DAC Beachcroft LLP and Weightmans LLP respectively.
Other key lawyers:
Raj Sumal; Jonathan Gilbert
‘Raj Sumal and Andrew Whiting are true experts in their field. They have a robust approach, vast experience and detailed knowledge‘.
The core areas of focus at Weightmans LLP include disease, large loss and casualty personal injury matters. Another cornerstone of the practice involves acting for the police and public authorities. Dave Cottam heads up the team, whose other clients include fire services, housing providers and education establishments. Cottam exclusively undertakes catastrophic personal injury claims, including matters involving spinal and brain injuries, paralysis, amputation and chronic pain. Also knowledgeable about catastrophic personal injury cases is Clare Malpus. Paul Debney, who leads a specialist disease counter fraud team, advises local authorities, insurance companies and corporates.
Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB)
AIG Europe Insurance
First Central Insurance
Insure the Box
Liberty Mutual Insurance
Enterprise Rent A Car
- Acted for AXAXL in Swift v Carpenter, which is the leading case on accommodation claims. The case arose from the claimant sustaining a below knee amputation in a road traffic accident.
- Represented AIG Europe Insurance in a noise induced hearing loss claim that was struck out for dishonesty.
- Represented the Highway Authority in an important case that established that, in erecting a warning sign , it was under no duty to prevent that sign becoming obscured by adjacent vegetation.
- Acted for Zurich Insurance in a noise-induced hearing loss claim that was discontinued after evidence was obtained about the claimant’s dishonesty in relation to his date of knowledge.
- Acted for AXAXL in the Supreme Court in the leading case on compensation for sensitivity to platinum salts.