Licensing in East Midlands
Lisa Sharkey heads the practice at licensing boutique Poppleston Allen and recently stepped up to the role of managing partner. Her team are cited as a ‘great bunch of lawyers’ who ‘lead the way’ on the full range of licensing matters. Jonathan Smith is well-regarded for alcohol licensing issues and Graeme Cushion is a household name in the casual dining space. At associate level, Hannah Price represents large corporate clients in relation to health and safety, food safety, trading standards and environmental law
Mitchells & Butlers Leisure
Stonegate Pub Company
Azzuri Group Limited
The Deltic Group
- Working with the client to change conditions and increase capacity at some of its biggest venues.
- Obtaining new premises licences for the client’s three hotels developments in Leicester Square and Piccadilly.
- Advising the client on all aspects of its licensing strategy during its Company Voluntary Arrangements.
- Obtaining a new Premises Licence for the client’s new 250 occupancy restaurant on Kings Road, Chelsea, despite opposition from a number of residents.
Flint Bishop LLP handles licensing matters on behalf of a wide range of clients with a particular focus on pubs and hotels. The group undertakes ordinary and expedited license reviews, major and minor premises license variations and transfer changes. The highly recommended Andrew Cochrane serves as practice head and his team also counts clubs, off-licenses and restaurants among its client roster.
Other key lawyers:
Star Pubs & Bars Limited
Youth Hostel Association
Kew Green Hotels
Derby Brewing Company
- Transfer of licences for circa. 1,850 pubs in England, Wales and Scotland for leased pub business of Heineken UK.
- Review of premises licence brought by neighbours supported by the authorities.
- Handling annual fee reviews.
- Application for license variation upheld despite appeals from neighbours.
At Fraser Brown, practice head David Lucas handles the full range of licensing mandates, representing clients in the gambling, alcohol and entertainment sectors. Examples of work undertaken include applications for new premises licenses, applications for the variation of existing licenses and advice on legislation compliance.
Other key lawyers:
Cashino Gaming Ltd
DHP Family Ltd
Ego Restaurants Ltd
Fraser Capital Management Ltd
HB Leisure Ltd
Majestic Bingo Ltd
Ever So Sensible Restaurants Ltd
Pesto Restaurants Ltd
- Application for new operating and premises licences.
- Application for new premises licence for multi-million pound development.
- Application for variation of premises licence pertaining to the construction of a new fan zone.
- Application for variation of gaming machine permit.
Noted for its ‘positive, knowledgeable and passionate approach’, the team at Freeths LLP is traditionally adept in alcohol licensing matters and is increasingly advising on health and safety, trading standards and fire safety matters. Lisa Gilligan, ‘an experienced expert in the field’, helms the practice and is engaged for personal licenses, premises licences and DPS applications. She represents a client base which includes various bars, pubs, supermarkets and leisure businesses.
‘Lisa Gilligan is a trusted adviser who understands the client’s business needs and has an excellent commercial approach‘
‘Lawyers are are extremely approachable and so make all interactions, particularly inquiries, very easy‘
Aldi Stores Limited
Cheshire Cat Pubs & Bars
Davy’s of London
Laine Pub Company
Gangmasters Labour & Abuse Authority
- Serving as sole legal provider to the client on licensing issues across its 800 stores in the UK.
- Acting for the client in securing the licence for its Royal Festival Hall site.
- Handling a range of license variation applications on behalf of the client.
- Ongoing support to the in-house legal team in relation to a range of regulatory and licensing matters.